Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland

Level of Finish Elite League

Old
09-27-2009, 04:05 PM
1992LuckyTown

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
I don't quite cheer for any Swedish team, the play is too slow and system-based for me to get emotionally involved.
Yes i can definitely agree with you about the slow and system-based Hockey it is a pain to watch. It fells as it gets worse by the year, what is the solution? My personal opinion is to make the rinks smaller and the nets Bigger to increase physical play and increase scoring and to make the Defensive system less effective Swedish coaches love. And the sad thing is that this hockey is not even effective as we could notice in Champions -hockey league with Swedish teams losing nearly all their games.

1992LuckyTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 04:20 AM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeRocks! View Post
About the same as the AHL? Maybe a bit less eh?
Much less...

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 07:21 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKarlRobin View Post
Yes i can definitely agree with you about the slow and system-based Hockey it is a pain to watch. It fells as it gets worse by the year, what is the solution? My personal opinion is to make the rinks smaller and the nets Bigger to increase physical play and increase scoring and to make the Defensive system less effective Swedish coaches love. And the sad thing is that this hockey is not even effective as we could notice in Champions -hockey league with Swedish teams losing nearly all their games.
I don't know if the rinks are the solution since swedish players have such a high quality in the technical aspects and the smaller rinks could lessen that.

Some kind of rules so that the coaches (who usually are VERY talented in tactics and strategies) stop playing it safe. A closed League and some help with with seminars etc. about playing more beautiful hockey could help. Bigger nets is just silly. Just try to make it so that there aren't four guys standing in front of the netminder...

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 08:37 PM
luciousharris

Send a message via AIM to luciousharris Send a message via MSN to luciousharris
Quote:
I don't know if the rinks are the solution since swedish players have such a high quality in the technical aspects and the smaller rinks could lessen that.

Some kind of rules so that the coaches (who usually are VERY talented in tactics and strategies) stop playing it safe. A closed League and some help with with seminars etc. about playing more beautiful hockey could help. Bigger nets is just silly. Just try to make it so that there aren't four guys standing in front of the netminder...
I must admit I am kind of impressed with the skill level of teh Swedish Elite league. I am more impressed with the SEL than I am with the AHL. I base this on some of the highlights that I have been wtching of the SEL. Not bad. Not bad at all.

http://svtplay.se/v/1698770/ishockey...682,2,f,103683

luciousharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 11:49 PM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by major league View Post
I must admit I am kind of impressed with the skill level of teh Swedish Elite league. I am more impressed with the SEL than I am with the AHL. I base this on some of the highlights that I have been wtching of the SEL. Not bad. Not bad at all.

http://svtplay.se/v/1698770/ishockey...682,2,f,103683
I do think that the SEL is quite a bit ahead of the AHL, especially in technical play and such. The AHL CAN be entertaining at times though. Typical dump and chase becomes quite boring after awhile though.

Old
09-29-2009, 04:38 AM
f1nn

vCash: 1312
Send a message via AIM to f1nn
well after Tappara's win against Florida we now know that the SM-Liiga has surpassed the NHL's level of play

f1nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 02:24 PM
ThinMcWhistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 nipple finn View Post
well after Tappara's win against Florida we now know that the SM-Liiga has surpassed the NHL's level of play
Well it definitely shows that FEL level of play is quite good. Obviously, if those teams played 10 games, Tappara would probably win only 2-3 times max. Besides, Florida is one of the worst teams in the NHL anyways.

ThinMcWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 04:11 PM
Cono

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiNsKa View Post
Well it definitely shows that FEL level of play is quite good. Obviously, if those teams played 10 games, Tappara would probably win only 2-3 times max. Besides, Florida is one of the worst teams in the NHL anyways.
Day after day difference in a level of play between europe and NHL goes smaller.

Cono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 04:54 PM
1992LuckyTown

Quote:
I do think that the SEL is quite a bit ahead of the AHL, especially in technical play and such. The AHL CAN be entertaining at times though. Typical dump and chase becomes quite boring after awhile though.
Yes i think so, to if you look at how players do when they come to the nhl this confirms this 1 point in the Shl translates to 0,82 in the Nhl (This statistics is in average of course). The same statistics from Ahl and SM-liga is that 1 point translates to 0,44 points in the Nhl for both leages over the years. This gives you a hint off the level of skill in the leagues not the hole picture of course.

And as we know the Sm-liga teams can beat any Shl team on Any given night i think it would be the same for Ahl to. But the general standard of Shl is higher than both SM-liga and Ahl witch you can see in some players how have played in Both Sm-liga and Shl the PPG is nearly always higher in SM-liga.

So hear is my ranking of the leagues
Nhl
Shl
Sml and Ahl

I don´t know if this is correct but my assessment that the style of play in Sm-liga and Ahl is quite alike with more no nonsense north to south hockey apposed to the Shl where it is more tactics and technical play.

1992LuckyTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 05:18 PM
Lui One Hall

Elitserien is obviously stronger hockey league and better sport product than Finnish SM-liiga, let's be honest here. For a Finnish hockey fan and SM-liiga fan, the last few years have been pretty sad because of all the bad decisions our hockey association, the league and it's teams have made.

...And SM-liiga has too many (14) teams...

Lui One Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 04:05 AM
Link Gaetz

Mestis>Hockeyallsvenskan

Link Gaetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 09:34 AM
P-M Bouchard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cono View Post
Day after day difference in a level of play between europe and NHL goes smaller.
"I've said this numerous times. The level of play, the pace of play in the SM-liiga is no different than in the Nhl. I just think the nhl.. the players are little big bigger and little big stronger. And top to bottom, 1 through 4, but it's a very good pace." - Glen Hanlon

Edit. And better goalscorers.

P-M Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Titan124

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-M Bouchard View Post
"I've said this numerous times. The level of play, the pace of play in the SM-liiga is no different than in the Nhl. I just think the nhl.. the players are little big bigger and little big stronger. And top to bottom, 1 through 4, but it's a very good pace." - Glen Hanlon

Edit. And better goalscorers.
So in other words, the level is completely different. The FNL is a very similar game to the NHL, which has helped countless finns draft positions. But the level of play in the NHL is far higher, even if the style isn't different.

Titan124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 10:59 AM
Tony Piscotta
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiNsKa View Post

While this match could give Tappara a lift it's a bit unfair to judge both the level of the play of the two leagues and that of the Panthers off of an exhibition match. Obviously, the Panthers are still in evaluation mode - playing a 22-man lineup as well as their backup goalie - and they still managed to out-shoot Tappara despite being away from home and on the larger surface.

That being said, credit should be given to Tappara for competing with an NHL club and this game should be a confidence booster.

Tony Piscotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 12:48 PM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link Gaetz View Post
Mestis>Hockeyallsvenskan
In what aspects?

Old
10-02-2009, 04:13 AM
Link Gaetz

Quote:
In what aspects?
Competitiveness and player material.

Link Gaetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 02:20 PM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link Gaetz View Post
Competitiveness and player material.
I would disagree. I don't even believe there are as many players in mestis who could do a decent job in sm-liiga as there are players in allsvenskan who can do a decent job in a better league like elitserien.

Old
10-10-2009, 05:28 PM
luciousharris

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKarlRobin View Post
Interesting not only i learn more about Finnish hockey i learn how NA Hockey minor system is built up. As for the level of Mesti it is hard for me to say but the players do not have impressive resumes so the level of play is probably not that good. And definitely lower than HA (Swedish tier 2) but this is not so strange as most of the teams in Mesti are Amateur or semi-pro Where in HA(Swedish tier 2) most of the players are pro correct me if i am wrong?

Is The players in ECHL and SPHL , Pro, semi-pro or Amatuer? I suspect that Jani Hurme in my team Malmö (Swedish tier 2) have more paid than a hole Metis team 400 000 euro a year hu ha it would be helpful if a Sm-liga team could pick him up.

Mattihp/ don´t forget Finns definitely the most common non Swedish players. As from the prospective from Nhl clubs I would rank the Swedish and Finnish leagues like this
Elitserien
Sm-Liga
HockeyAllsvenskan
Mettis have this league ever had a player go directly to a Nhl?

I feels like Mettis is over ratted by some people hear
I have a question about one of the Mestis league teams. I saw that HeKI brought in three North Americans last year. Now HeKi was at the bottom and they are a small team. Does anyone know if thes guys got paid?

Old
10-11-2009, 12:51 PM
sirMcDuck

Quote:
I have a question about one of the Mestis league teams. I saw that HeKI brought in three North Americans last year. Now HeKi was at the bottom and they are a small team. Does anyone know if thes guys got paid?
Of course they got paid.

Like Kory Baker who gets about 30-40k$. Or Dickenson/McGregor from Sport which i think have like +60000$ from the season.

sirMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 02:16 PM
luciousharris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coasti View Post
Of course they got paid.

Like Kory Baker who gets about 30-40k$. Or Dickenson/McGregor from Sport which i think have like +60000$ from the season.
Ok, I new they got paid but I wasnät sure how much. I was told that the Mestis did not pay much and only the top teams paid players. Heki was not taht good last year.

Old
10-12-2009, 05:02 AM
Korkki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicoutimi View Post
...And SM-liiga has too many (14) teams...
Yes, lets cut the bottom four out right now... There are last years champion and semifinal team.

I think 14 teams are the best solution, even 16 would suit. The SM-liiga is quite even and everybody can win each other in any day. It is not like the 2 team DDR championship.

Korkki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 03:03 PM
sirMcDuck

Quote:
Ok, I new they got paid but I wasnät sure how much. I was told that the Mestis did not pay much and only the top teams paid players. Heki was not taht good last year.
Every team pays something but many of lower teams are semipro so some of their players goes in work.

sirMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 03:44 PM
Tony Piscotta
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:

They might also be students. The Finnish Sports Institute is located near Heinola and there have been players - both Finnish and non-Finns - who played for HeKi while studying at the sports institute. Some of these players have also coached in the HeKi juniors.

Tony Piscotta is offline   Reply With Quote