HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10.14.09 - Nashv- ERROR

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-14-2009, 11:15 PM
  #101
MemphisMTLfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Memphis, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Smithson is an alien that was sent to earth for one mission. That mission was to dump and chase at EVERY oppurtunity.

I swear the first game here at home I saw him get the puck with room to skate into the zone untouched and he slowed down, dumped the puck and went and chased it.
Perhaps he enjoys the thrill of the chase?

MemphisMTLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 11:16 PM
  #102
thrillhous
Registered User
 
thrillhous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,590
vCash: 500
Did anyone look good tonight?

thrillhous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 11:18 PM
  #103
Roger Explosion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Emerald, QLD
Country: Australia
Posts: 236
vCash: 500
Just pathetic, at least the Ads won.

Roger Explosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 11:20 PM
  #104
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhous View Post
Did anyone look good tonight?
Dallas' ice crew looked okay.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 11:20 PM
  #105
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conando View Post
There better be some Fire Trotz chants tomorrow
Never been supportive of that and still am not completely sold on the idea, but...Trotz has to be on a short, short leash.

You cannot change the players to any large extent, but even that won't change anything significant unless the system is changed immediately and that falls on the coaching staff.

There is no immediate candidate that sticks out and screams to me "I'm a good fit to replace Trotz". Tippett would have been a good candidate, but he is now in Phoenix. I don't think Lambert would be the best choice either necessarily. Peterson deserves a shot somewhere, but that wouldn't be too drastic of a change and unfortunately cannot be looked upon as a long-term solution.

Definitely will be a true franchise defining moment tomorrow night. I doubt ownership will allow this to continue for too long if it impacts attendance as we all know it will. The pressure will be put on Poile to find a solution and Trotz's head will definitely be an option presented...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 11:22 PM
  #106
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,484
vCash: 500
She's gone from suck to blow


Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 11:26 PM
  #107
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisHockeyFan View Post
Wow, I actually watched that whole butt whooping. I love this crazy team too much.

I was upset, but I'm over it. We'll win a game eventually.
I too watched the entire massacre, but am still miffed about it.

I'll remain upset throughout the night, but will wake up tomorrow with my focus on not seeing the Predators defeat themselves in the first period against Chicago...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 11:27 PM
  #108
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Never been supportive of that and still am not completely sold on the idea, but...Trotz has to be on a short, short leash.
I'm in this camp as well. Trotz has been given just enough rope to hang himself with this year with a moderately talented offensive team, and it looks like that's exactly what he's going to do.

Quote:
There is no immediate candidate that sticks out and screams to me "I'm a good fit to replace Trotz". Tippett would have been a good candidate, but he is now in Phoenix. I don't think Lambert would be the best choice either necessarily. Peterson deserves a shot somewhere, but that wouldn't be too drastic of a change and unfortunately cannot be looked upon as a long-term solution.

Definitely will be a true franchise defining moment tomorrow night. I doubt ownership will allow this to continue for too long if it impacts attendance as we all know it will. The pressure will be put on Poile to find a solution and Trotz's head will definitely be an option presented...
What about Peter Laviolette? Last I heard, he was still working as an analyst at TSN. He just seems like a guy Poile would like.

I have a gut feeling that this is the year that Trotz finally gets the axe, and it could come within the next five games if this keeps up.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 11:29 PM
  #109
predfan24
Registered User
 
predfan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Definitely will be a true franchise defining moment tomorrow night. I doubt ownership will allow this to continue for too long if it impacts attendance as we all know it will. The pressure will be put on Poile to find a solution and Trotz's head will definitely be an option presented...

I can tell already attendance is going to be hurting this year due to economy. If the Preds are terrible this year also attendance will be laughable. I'm a season ticket holder and I am already asking myself if I want to go tommorrow. I got alot of other stuff I have to get done. If I had to buy a ticket for tommorrow no way in hell I would go.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 11:31 PM
  #110
MemphisMTLfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Memphis, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,687
vCash: 500
I predict Chicago wins tomorrow 6-2. That will be 666 against The hockey gods aren't happy.


Last edited by MemphisMTLfan: 10-14-2009 at 11:32 PM. Reason: can't spell
MemphisMTLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 11:36 PM
  #111
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
What about Peter Laviolette? Last I heard, he was still working as an analyst at TSN. He just seems like a guy Poile would like.

I have a gut feeling that this is the year that Trotz finally gets the axe, and it could come within the next five games if this keeps up.
The problem with Laviolette is that he is a short term coach. He is very demanding of his players and is very emotional behind the bench and in the locker room. That probably would be what is needed to start, but it wears thin and loses it's effectiveness the more that well is dipped into. Tortorella is the same way. Some players thrive in that environment, but commonly many do not...

I agree with the assessment, Trotz has at most five games to get this going to avoid being the first coach fired this season. Although if Ron Wilson gets the boot in Toronto earlier, I wouldn't mind having him come aboard. Afterall, he and Poile worked together in Washington pretty well...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 11:40 PM
  #112
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
I can tell already attendance is going to be hurting this year due to economy. If the Preds are terrible this year also attendance will be laughable. I'm a season ticket holder and I am already asking myself if I want to go tommorrow. I got alot of other stuff I have to get done. If I had to buy a ticket for tommorrow no way in hell I would go.
No doubt, tomorrow will be and should be a horrible night for attendance with the on-ice mockery that we've been presented with the past two games. I think the pressure for a coaching change would only come if the team doesn't turn around their on-ice performance and attendance continues to lack heading into next month.

Attendance will not be a deciding factor at this stage in terms of Trotz's fate. The only time that it would be is if they couldn't turn around the on-ice product for an extended period.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 11:50 PM
  #113
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,229
vCash: 500
At least Colin Wilson continues to look good.

Just give us time with him. We'll break him, as well.

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 12:03 AM
  #114
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Goal-by-Goal Breakdown...

Goal 1: After consecutive icings by the fourth line, Guite loses the faceoff, puck is cycled deep in the corner, Morrow backs away from the defense into a quiet zone between the defense down low and the winger covering the point where he is fed the puck for a quick one-timer. Great shot by Morrow, not much for Ellis to do unless that hit him. Guite and whomever the strongside winger (I think Belak) were to blame for the faceoff loss and subsequent lack of coverage on Morrow.

Goal 2: Santorelli stops moving his feet on the backcheck allowing the puck-carrier to create a 2 on 1 against Klein. Klein halfheartedly attacks the puck-carrier and leaves Richards wide open in front for an easy goal. Santorelli and Klein to blame for leaving Ellis out to dry there…

Goal 3: Suter steps up in the neutral zone disrupting the oncoming attack, Sullivan is in position to and covers back for Suter taking Eriksson all the way to the front of the net on the initial rush. As it’s happening, despite me yelling at Sullivan through the TV screen, Sully leaves Eriksson all alone standing in Holmstrom territory and proceeds to start heading back to his wing position where Suter is actively defending the puck. The Stars simply throw the puck at the front of the net where Eriksson is still standing and he tips it past Ellis. Suter was seen as the closest man to Eriksson on replay, but that is simply because he saw what Sullivan had done and busted his butt to get that close. Sullivan with the huge gaffe there…

Ellis really had no chance whatsoever on any of the first three Dallas shots tonight, all of course ending up in the back of the net. Truly hung out to dry by his teammates and had every right to be the most vocal person in the locker room during the first intermission although I doubt he was…

Goals 4 and 5 on the PP, not even gonna go there. Weak penalties by both Hamhuis (who really didn’t do anything – Brunnstrom skated into him battling for position, then tripped over Hamhuis’ stick while trying to go after the loose puck) and then Erat for the blatant interference on a draw with less than 5 seconds to go in the first and then Klein for high-sticking Neal going to the net on what would have been another heavily outnumbered attack with a lot of speed against Rinne.

Goal 6 is all on Legwand. Leggy lost the draw cleanly, stayed with Peterson heading to the net, did his best to screen Rinne, and didn’t tie up Peterson’s stick – allowing him to make a beautiful tip on the shot from Skraskins to tack on the sixth goal of the night…

Rinne actually played pretty solidly. Had his moments, but saved the game from being a double-digit affair with some real solid saves. Ellis has to hold his head up high and not give the skaters in front of him the time of day till they put forth a better effort in front of him…

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 12:23 AM
  #115
braindead
Registered User
 
braindead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The cookie spoke
Country: Tibet
Posts: 2,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhous View Post
Did anyone look good tonight?
Arnott- no, low energy, not horrible though
Hornqvist- yes
Sully- no, horrible. The defining play was in the 3rd when the puck went behind the net to a Dallas Dman and Sully and Santo arrived at the same time and pulled up without touching him. Even Patrick f'ing Schellberg would have TOUCHED HIM.

Ward- tolerable, rusty
Leggy- looked more offensive minded. I'll withhold judgement
Santo- couldn't tell, he was invisible. Could be the Ads player of the year this year

Jones- decent, some hustle and effort
Wilson- yes, I hope he isn't trying to learn from Arnott or Legwand
Erat- major suck again. His mojo is gone

Belak- not worse than usual
Smithson- not worse than usual
Guite- not worse than usual

Weber- sucked, sucked all year, sleep walking, suck
Suter- mixed bag. He did score on Rinne so that was our only goal
Klein- consistent and utter fail
Boullion- good... again. Probably wishes he hadn't been signed by an ahl team
Laakso- bad. Shouldn't be on the team

Ellis- contrary to SLakes review, the 2nd goal was caused by his faulty play IMO and he didn't help his cause on the 3rd goal. Not horrible

Rinne- good.

What this team really needs:
1. Some play from the guys that wear the "A". Sully and Weber. Utter fail.
2. Sulzer or Blum to replace Laakso and demote Klien
3. JP back so we can use Hornqvist in place of Santo
4. To score the first goal in a game

I think this team will come around but two straight six goal debacles has to rock your faith.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 12:33 AM
  #116
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Ellis- contrary to SLakes review, the 2nd goal was caused by his faulty play IMO and he didn't help his cause on the 3rd goal. Not horrible
Not disagreeing, but care to elaborate on the 2nd goal? I really haven't watched a replay in the past 3 hours, so I might be missing something.

From my viewpoint, Santorelli gets beaten up ice by Eriksson because he stopped moving his feet. Creates a 2 on 1 with Klein in the middle. Klein leaves Richards and doesn't get out to Eriksson. Ellis reads the initial 2 on 1 and moves out to take away space from Eriksson (goalie has the shooter...) only to be beat backdoor after the pass is made over to Richards standing all alone at the far post.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 12:59 AM
  #117
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
The problem with Laviolette is that he is a short term coach. He is very demanding of his players and is very emotional behind the bench and in the locker room. That probably would be what is needed to start, but it wears thin and loses it's effectiveness the more that well is dipped into. Tortorella is the same way. Some players thrive in that environment, but commonly many do not...
While that's all very true, I think that kind of fire and emotion is something the team could use from a coach. We certainly aren't getting much from the players, and maybe a trickle-down approach of sorts would be more effective and would get the guys to play with a little more intensity.

Quote:
I agree with the assessment, Trotz has at most five games to get this going to avoid being the first coach fired this season. Although if Ron Wilson gets the boot in Toronto earlier, I wouldn't mind having him come aboard. Afterall, he and Poile worked together in Washington pretty well...
I don't know if it would be a good idea to go to another coach from Poile's days with the Capitals, plus Wilson seems to have earned a rather unpleasant reputation for being a crybaby. I don't think I would want him anywhere near our team.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 01:09 AM
  #118
sparkle twin
Real Deal
 
sparkle twin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hendersonville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,945
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin



Four games in and there was already a closed door meeting. That apparently did NOTHING!!!!!!!


There is no energy, no chemistry, no emotion out there. It's 20 individuals out for a free skate.


Wake the hell up and actually put forth an effort Thursday!!!!!!!!

****!

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 01:16 AM
  #119
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
While that's all very true, I think that kind of fire and emotion is something the team could use from a coach. We certainly aren't getting much from the players, and maybe a trickle-down approach of sorts would be more effective and would get the guys to play with a little more intensity.
No, I agree. Brimstone and fire would be a drastic change and would probably be the change needed if we went in that direction. Laviolette would be the best candidate of those available right now.

Quote:
I don't know if it would be a good idea to go to another coach from Poile's days with the Capitals, plus Wilson seems to have earned a rather unpleasant reputation for being a crybaby. I don't think I would want him anywhere near our team.
Yeah, on second thought, Wilson is a very structured coach that thrives with a veteran team and is lost with younger players. Wilson would not be an ideal candidate, especially if he were to lose his gig in Toronto already this season...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 01:29 AM
  #120
braindead
Registered User
 
braindead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The cookie spoke
Country: Tibet
Posts: 2,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Not disagreeing, but care to elaborate on the 2nd goal? I really haven't watched a replay in the past 3 hours, so I might be missing something.

From my viewpoint, Santorelli gets beaten up ice by Eriksson because he stopped moving his feet. Creates a 2 on 1 with Klein in the middle. Klein leaves Richards and doesn't get out to Eriksson. Ellis reads the initial 2 on 1 and moves out to take away space from Eriksson (goalie has the shooter...) only to be beat backdoor after the pass is made over to Richards standing all alone at the far post.
I can't watch again but I believe that is the goal where Ellis goes behind the net chasing the puck, misplays it, is out of position, Klein comes down (incorrectly) to cover the net, Ellis (somewhat) recovers, puck is pased to where Klein should be, goal scored.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 01:42 AM
  #121
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
I can't watch again but I believe that is the goal where Ellis goes behind the net chasing the puck, misplays it, is out of position, Klein comes down (incorrectly) to cover the net, Ellis (somewhat) recovers, puck is pased to where Klein should be, goal scored.
I'll have to go back and take a look tomorrow. I thought the goal was scored off the initial rush, but it might have indeed been off a turnover coming after a failed clear...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 02:15 AM
  #122
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Actual highlights from a game within the Predators organization last night...

Milwaukee 5, Peoria 2

O'Reilly with 4 assists, Sulzer adds three helpers, Blum scores his first professional goal, and Eaves scores an empty-netter for his first of the season.

3 PP goals for the Ads in the rout...

Video highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2efVqaiYk8

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 02:30 AM
  #123
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Milwaukee 5, Peoria 2

O'Reilly with 4 assists, Sulzer adds three helpers, Blum scores his first professional goal, and Eaves scores an empty-netter for his first of the season.

3 PP goals for the Ads in the rout...

Video highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2efVqaiYk8
As if we needed further proof that Triston Grant is a lousy enforcer, he clung to King for almost that entire fight.

Sounds like the Rivermen actually have a halfway decent announcer. Callahan would be proud to know his legacy lives on.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 02:34 AM
  #124
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,708
vCash: 500
2nd goal:
Grossman dumped it in hard around the boards. As it went behind the net, Ellis went behind the net and tried to slow it down. Neal deflected the puck to Eriksson who made a little fake shot/pass to Richards who was breaking down the slot.

Ellis had to commit to Eriksson who was already in prime scoring position. So, Ellis went down, but then Eriksson passed it to a wide open Richards. Ellis going behind the net like that is a textbook hockey play. He didn't screw up there. But perhaps now isn't the time for our goalies to be doing anything fancy.

I'm not a fan of pointing fingers. Everyone on the ice was to blame for the majority of the goals. On that goal for instance, Sullivan could have covered Richards, Arnott could have, Klein could have, Hamhuis could have beaten Neal to the puck, Klein could have beaten Eriksson, Arnott could have beaten Eriksson, Ellis could have read the play better, etc.... bottom line is there is some serious miscommunication between our guys right now. Seems like everyone is expecting everyone else to cover for them.

SLake, its been a long night. The 2nd goal you described never happened I agree with everything else you said for the most part though.


Last edited by Paranoid Android: 10-15-2009 at 02:40 AM.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 02:49 AM
  #125
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
2nd goal:
Grossman dumped it in hard around the boards. As it went behind the net, Ellis went behind the net and tried to slow it down. Neal deflected the puck to Eriksson who made a little fake shot/pass to Richards who was breaking down the slot.

Ellis had to commit to Eriksson who was already in prime scoring position. So, Ellis went down, but then Eriksson passed it to a wide open Richards. Ellis going behind the net like that is a textbook hockey play. He didn't screw up there. But perhaps now isn't the time for our goalies to be doing anything fancy.

I'm not a fan of pointing fingers. Everyone on the ice was to blame for the majority of the goals. On that goal for instance, Sullivan could have covered Richards, Arnott could have, Klein could have, Hamhuis could have beaten Neal to the puck, Klein could have beaten Eriksson, Arnott could have beaten Eriksson, Ellis could have read the play better, etc.... bottom line is there is some serious miscommunication between our guys right now. Seems like everyone is expecting everyone else to cover for them.

SLake, its been a long night. The 2nd goal you described never happened I agree with everything else you said for the most part though.
Been a long, long night. Thanks for the correction!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.