HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings vs. Rags: Post Game Malaise

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2009, 09:13 PM
William H Bonney

vCash: 500
Even though we lost, there are still positives we saw tonight:

- Jack Johnson was again our best defenseman. It's early in the season, but we're seeing him seize on his potential and become a true first pairing defender in the NHL, with more growth to come. I think I'm the most excited about how great he's been in our own end.

- We're getting results while essentially only getting reliable scoring from our 1st line (mainly Kopi and Smyth). Our other lines will eventually start scoring...I think.

- Richardson. He's doing as much as he can with what he's given to work with. I thought he had a strong game.

- Johnson/Scuderi and Doughty/O'Donnell are perfect matches. Drewiske has played well too, but Scuderi's play has really highlighted how badly Greene has been so far.

Old
10-14-2009, 09:18 PM
RAZZIE King
König von Schaben

It also didn't help us when the refs were calling this game like they had money on the Rangers...

Old
10-14-2009, 09:18 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4reals View Post
There you go have Stoll. He has a better shot and actually can score from the blueline. Anyone but Williams.
Well yeah, I said I would switch Stoll and Williams.

You seemed to not want Williams on ANY PP point, in which case, who would be the 4th?

I don't agree with Williams on the first unit, but I do think he is our best option outside of Stoll/Doughty/Johnson on the PP point. That is, until Hickey or Voynov get here.

Old
10-14-2009, 09:19 PM
redbranch

Another Ranger fan here, you guys have an impressive team. The Kings were all over the Rangers in this one the longer it went.

If your boys keep playing the way they have, they'll definitely be in the playoffs. I also sincerely hope we swipe brown from you at some point

Old
10-14-2009, 09:22 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatypickle View Post
Richardson again had a spectacular game...
He's been getting better and better every game.

I don't miss that 2nd round pick AT ALL.

Old
10-14-2009, 09:23 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KotsyJr View Post
Hey fellas. Just wanted to drop by to say good game. The Kings definitely outplayed the Rangers in huge chunks of this game (really, almost the entire game).

I will still be cheering the Kings on in the West as I have the last few seasons (I have Center Ice, I always make sure to watch the Kings... really enjoy watching this team).

Good luck the rest of the way and I really hope you guys make the playoffs!
Cool man.

Thanks.

Old
10-14-2009, 09:25 PM
ru4reals

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Well yeah, I said I would switch Stoll and Williams.

You seemed to not want Williams on ANY PP point, in which case, who would be the 4th?

I don't agree with Williams on the first unit, but I do think he is our best option outside of Stoll/Doughty/Johnson on the PP point. That is, until Hickey or Voynov get here.
Just put him anywhere else except the 1st unit. I don't care. Our first unit should be our five best players on the ice that gives us the best chance to score. Williams just doesn't fit. I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying get him off the first unit.

Old
10-14-2009, 09:27 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4reals View Post
Just put him anywhere else except the 1st unit. I don't care. Our first unit should be our five best players on the ice that gives us the best chance to score. Williams just doesn't fit. I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying get him off the first unit.
Gotcha, I misread your first post.

I'd like to see the lines as:

Frolov-Kopitar-Smyth
Stoll-Doughty

Purcell-Handzus-Brown
Johnson-Williams

Old
10-14-2009, 09:33 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

The Boyle goal was soft and the Gaborik goal was the finishing touch. Kings needed a PP goal to get them back in it but there's still major flaws in Kompon's approach.

What are you guys going to be saying tomorrow when the Kings are on a 2 game losing streak???

Old
10-14-2009, 09:33 PM
SFKingshomer

I'd like to see Drewiskie on the PP because he plays it simple and gets his shot through like Quincey.

Old
10-14-2009, 09:34 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
The Boyle goal was soft and the Gaborik goal was the finishing touch. Kings needed a PP goal to get them back in it but there's still major flaws in Kompon's approach.

What are you guys going to be saying tomorrow when the Kings are on a 2 game losing streak???

Tonight, I will say shut the hell up, take a happy pill and turn that frown upside down you freak

Old
10-14-2009, 09:38 PM
ru4reals

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Gotcha, I misread your first post.

I'd like to see the lines as:

Frolov-Kopitar-Smyth
Stoll-Doughty

Purcell-Handzus-Brown
Johnson-Williams
This is what I'm talking about. Exactly what I would like to see. Two good units with balance.

Old
10-14-2009, 09:40 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLudwig View Post
It also didn't help us when the refs were calling this game like they had money on the Rangers...

um...... calls were like 7-3 with nyr having the last 6 calls against. in fact, after the first, la didnt have another mandown.

i like your team. i like the uptempo game you guys play. johnson and doughty are solid and kopi and dustin brown are two of the best young players in the entire league

you guys outplayed us and but for king, we prolly lose the game

good luck the rest of the way

Old
10-14-2009, 09:41 PM
Omni Owl

Not too bummed about the loss. The team played well but Ersberg was, as expected, shaky.

Lundqvist made some fantastic saves for the Rags.

Old
10-14-2009, 09:42 PM
funky

Ersberg had a bad game but it was his 1st in a while. I still would rather have him in there then have Bernier ride the pine.

Ivanans should be playing 30 - 50 games a year, and not against quick skilled teams missing there goon like tonight. His penalty to start the game was selfish and put us in a hole, and I am an Ivanans fan.

Brown has played no better then a 3rd line checker all year, he really has to step it up. He seems a split second behind at all times.

Doughty didn't have a great game but he is suffering from injuries and is still young, he will be great but there will be some growing pains as seen in the 1st game and a little tonight.

We need another player like Simmonds to bring that extra energy. Clune even on the 4th line will help.

I am not for trading off prospects but we really do have a team on the verge. Watching Quick I am confident he will be a solid #1. What we lack is a second PP QB. With Toronto in the dumps and BB already trying to trade Kaberle I would try and pounce. A 20 - 24 minute a night guy will solidify our defence for the next couple of years and take a little pressure of Doughty as well as afford Hickey that extra year to develop. I love Drewiske and Moller but Burkie is looking to redo the team and those pieces may be appitizing?

On the plus side Williams although not a proper dman on a PP looks like he is starting to become the Williams of old. To me he is still a second liner but is a little grit on the top line.

Plus side 2 - Simmonds, I love his game, would love to see him get a chance on the top line to see what he can do. His energy coupled with Kopitars skill and Smyths nose for the net would be great.

Plus side 3 - Richardson is playing his butt off, he is making the most of this oppertunity.

Old
10-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Let's give some credit to the Rangers. They took advantage of the power plays in the first. Whomever wrote that the Rangers got the breaks this game on the calls is smoking some good ****. The refs, but for the offsides they missed, called a good game.

Old
10-14-2009, 10:11 PM
dabeechman

Two missed calls resulting in two goals against is kind of a big deal in a 4-2 game.

Old
10-14-2009, 10:18 PM
riseandfall9

Regardless of the fact we lost tonight. I see a HUGE problem scoring all season. If you look at all the goals weve scored this season they have been pretty much trash with a few Kopitar goals in there. Ersberg looked like crap should have been pulled after the 2nd goal even if it wasn't his fault he was like a deer stuck in headlights all night.

And I think Williams should get taken off the first line. He messes up more then he helps even though he had a nice assist today.

Old
10-14-2009, 10:18 PM
CycloneLaunch

The iceberg melted maaaaan

The last time we lost a game, we won the next four, so that means...

Old
10-14-2009, 10:30 PM
ukyo

Game was well played, but too many mental mistakes. Harrold's and Greene's penalties were brain farts. Lundqvist got into the forwards' heads a bit and the offense started to lose its confidence down the stretch.

Kings played well enough to win, but Rangers definitely deserved the win: took advantage of the opportunities they were given, and, they did a good job of shutting things down in the third.

Ersberg let in one bad goal, but he wasn't the difference. Can't fault him for this loss.

Kopitar attended the Brandon Dubinsky School of Faceoffs today but didn't learn anything. Smyth was Smyth (good). Williams was also pretty good.

Purcell was fairly good but he got outmuscled a few times. He still has a little ways to go before he looks as confident as he looked when he was in Manchester. Stoll seems to be getting his faceoff mojo back. There were a few draws that his wings could have helped win but didn't. Brown was ok.

Richardson was amazing. He was all over the place and was disruptive to the Rangers every time on the ice. Dressing Ivanans was a mistake for this game. Holding the stick in the offensive zone? Come on, man.

Our defensive units need to gel a bit more. The Rangers' forecheck is quick and hard and it seemed like our defensemen were rushed all game, especially Scuderi and O'Donnell.

Lundqvist was the difference. There were several scoring chances that he either gobbled up the rebound or gave no room to shoot (especially that one power play where Kopitar had the puck one-on-none down low but nothing to shoot at). Once he made a few stops the team lost their shooting mentality and seemed to think that they had to make the perfect play to beat him.

Overall I'm pleased with the game because this was the potentially the toughest opponent the Kings have faced so far, and they played at a high enough level to win. Bad result for today, but I'd say they passed this test.

Old
10-14-2009, 10:57 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

I love Matt Greene but he has been pretty awful.

Old
10-14-2009, 10:58 PM
SLang

Respectable loss, if such a thing exists. I did not think Ersberg played that bad. You'd think the Gaborik goal was a bad one, but that shot is the guy's bread and butter. Ersberg also made some quality saves and the Rangers could have scored a lot more goals if it wasn't for him.

Lundqvuist was out of his mind.

Old
10-14-2009, 11:08 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
I love Matt Greene but he has been pretty awful.
He's so Jekyll and Hyde. I love his heart and dedication, and this sounds stupid, but he tries way too damn hard. Going back to last year when he was paired with JJ, he keeps the puck too long and shoots way too much for how atrocious he is at it. It's like he's not comfortable being labeled a stay-at-home defender and is trying to do his damnedest to prove everyone wrong to the detriment of the team and his bread-and-butter.

I hope he can learn from Scuderi, a very similar type player, but a guy that simplifies his game and the results show. Scuds makes the safe, smart play and always gets it to the open man, especially JJ (something Greene is allergic to). It took Scuds a long time to do this as well (only the past couple of years has he established himself), so I'm hoping Greene can take the same career arch.

Old
10-14-2009, 11:17 PM
In The Flesh

loved Deader, like Smyth a lot and "The Sexy Pick" avatars are probably the best I've seen, sooo hot, props to whoever started em. Also, I think all of us Rangers fans can feel for the Kings and your fans, we know what its like to miss the POs for so long. Lucky for you guys, you actually have a Owner?/GM who cares about BUILDING a team and IS building a great young core. If it wasn't for Henrik (Sather got lucky), idk where we'd be.

Oh and yea, thx for Sean "the heart of the team" Avery.

Old
10-14-2009, 11:22 PM
dabeechman

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
Oh and yea, thx for Sean "the heart of the team" Avery.
Sean "I should be on the US diving team" Avery? Welcome...

Thanks for Matty.

Closed Thread