HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(HF Story) Quebec Born Players At Camp

Closed Thread

Old
09-19-2003, 11:25 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
(HF Story) Quebec Born Players At Camp

Just got back from CGY and didn't see a thread started about this story so here you go. (Sorry if there is one and I didn't see it).

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...readed&order=0

Old
09-19-2003, 11:59 AM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
Just got back from CGY and didn't see a thread started about this story so here you go. (Sorry if there is one and I didn't see it).

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...readed&order=0
Holly started one, but you weren't here to bow to and thank.

Thanx again Guy.

Old
09-19-2003, 12:17 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon
Holly started one, but you weren't here to bow to and thank.
NOW i see it! Geez, I must be blind some days. Thanks Holly.

I want to say one thing about this article: I apologize to any Quebec residents who took offence to the term "French-Canadian". This was not meant as a slur or an insult but rather as a adjective describing all of the players mentioned in the article.

I was not aware that being called either "French" or "Canadian" would be insulting to someone from the Canadian province of Quebec who also speaks French. (Although maybe it is having the hyphen linking the two together that makes it insulting?).

I come from a french family, albeit from New Brunswick and not Quebec, but believe me when I say that I certainly was not out to upset anyone from Quebec as I have been told I have done.

Again, I apologize and I will never refer to French speaking Canadians as "French-Canadian" ever again.

Old
09-19-2003, 12:36 PM
LawnDemon

Quote:

I want to say one thing about this article: I apologize to any Quebec residents who took offence to the term "French-Canadian". This was not meant as a slur or an insult but rather as a adjective describing all of the players mentioned in the article.

I was not aware that being called either "French" or "Canadian" would be insulting to someone from the Canadian province of Quebec who also speaks French. (Although maybe it is having the hyphen linking the two together that makes it insulting?).

I come a french family, albeit from New Brunswick and not Quebec, but believe me when I say that I certainly was not out to upset anyone from Quebec as I have been told I have done.

Again, I apologize and I will never refer to French speaking Canadians as "French-Canadian" ever again.
i farted while walking down the street in Montreal once... it offended everyone around me because i farted in english. or at the very best i farted in french with a nasty english accent.

(note: i'm actually a proud french-canadian myself and take no offense to the term. however, i do take offense to my fellow french-canadians taking offense. i also thoroughly enjoy farting while i walk and take offense to anyone who takes offense to my flatulence. i could go on but it seems offensive.)

Old
09-20-2003, 06:18 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
i'm actually a proud french-canadian myself and take no offense to the term. however, i do take offense to my fellow french-canadians taking offense.
Glad to hear it L.D. but the guy who emailed me sure to offence to it.

Old
09-20-2003, 06:28 AM
Walsher

That guy who took offense to that is ignorant. People that feel the need to be bitter about that are annoying. He is french and he lives in Canada. Where is the mistake. But this is a hockey forum so I'm not going to get started on this one. PS I bet he is a Canadiens fan - if so it explains everything!!

Old
09-20-2003, 08:32 AM
fulk hogan

Quote:

I come from a french family, albeit from New Brunswick and not Quebec, but believe me when I say that I certainly was not out to upset anyone from Quebec as I have been told I have done.

French-Canadian, French-Quebecer, Quebecois, Francophone, etc. It's all the same to me. Then again, I'm an English speaking French-Canadian, if that even makes sense.

Old
09-20-2003, 08:38 AM
fulk hogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
That guy who took offense to that is ignorant. People that feel the need to be bitter about that are annoying. He is french and he lives in Canada. Where is the mistake. But this is a hockey forum so I'm not going to get started on this one. PS I bet he is a Canadiens fan - if so it explains everything!!
Unfortunately, many Francophones in Québec do not live in Canada; they live in their own made up country where it is legal to discriminate upon the basis of language (Bill 101). For example, store displays have to be in French and if there is English as well, it has to be smaller by a certain percentage, something like 50%.

Old
09-20-2003, 08:47 AM
Walsher

It was a story about French-Canadian players at camp - there would be no story if they eliminated the french canadian part of it - it would just be players at camp. That is a pretty boring article if it has no substance other than Players at Camp. Why does everyone get all worked up for no reason. It is incredibly annoying. Whistle blowers that feel the need to critisize someone for writing an article. Moreover the article gave positive publicity to the people they are part of. They are French and they are Canadian - It was a hockey article never intended to offend any misguided French loyalists looking to start arguments!! Another article could talk about the number of Western Players at a different camp and you would never here any criticism. Whats the difference. They aren't in their own little world they are in CANADA!

Closed Thread