HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings vs. Rags: Post Game Malaise

Closed Thread

Old
10-15-2009, 08:54 AM
Dave33
Still smiling

vCash: 500
Stop blaming the refs. The Harrold call was questionable imo, otherwise they did a good job. Lundqvist is just sick and played as expected. Gaborik was incredibly dangerous all night. We all knew the Rags have a good team and would be a challenge, too bad we can't win them all.

Biggest problem to me, other than Ersberg, was the inability to cleanly connect a pass. WTF was that garbage? People have been saying how some of the wins were sloppy and last night we saw sloppy play which resulted in a loss. C'est la vie, let's pray for a good bounce back against the Wings.

Old
10-15-2009, 09:25 AM
colorfinger

I find the criticism of Brown very interesting. Listening to Fox over the last few games you get the impression that the team/coach is very happy with how Brown is playing. He is doing a much better job of screening the goalie and controlling the puck along the boards, both issues we fans have commented on in the past. In fact, both those skills have led to a couple goals for other guys this season. That, I realize, isn’t where the complaints are right now… what people are complaining about is Brown trying to do too much with the puck and shooting instead of making passes (being too selfish). Fox, however, gives the impression that Murray wants/expects that kind of play. In fact he went so far as to comment negatively about Zus a few times (such as the wide pass back to Johnson on the PP instead of spinning around to shoot) because what Murray wants is a shoot first mentality. I realize that Fox is just the color guy but he is a former player and has more access than we fans do. Is it possible that what we are criticizing Brown for is exactly what Murray is coaching him to do? Looking at the line setups, perhaps Murray sees Brown as becoming more of a dangler and shooter while we fans see him as a crasher and banger (ala Smyth).

Old
10-15-2009, 09:26 AM
stcatcs12

Another Rags fan coming in peace here... That Teddy Purcell kid looks like the real deal, he was all over the ice last night. Was he always projected to be a legit top six forward? I had not heard much about him before last nights game.

Old
10-15-2009, 09:28 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Ivanans is not being selfish when he takes those penalties in the offensive zone, he is not going out there and saying

"Let me hook someone or hold someones stick in our offensive zone"

The guy is just so much less talented than anyone else on the ice its going to lead to these types of penalties, its been happening for years and its never going to change, as long as he is playing a regular shift we are going to be killing dumb penalties and struggling to keep up when he is out there. Watching him play is like watching a Juco corner try and cover Larry Fitzgerald.

Lets be honest here, look at yesterday, Rangers scored 4 goals, two of them were off of stupid penalties in the offensive zone by our two worst players (Harrold and Ivanans), another one was when this line was on the ice and caught out of position.

If the Kings insist on rolling 4 lines, they need to drastically upgrade the 4th line.

Anyways, 4-2 is a nice start. Can't really complain too much.

Old
10-15-2009, 09:41 AM
Youngblood93

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatypickle View Post
Richardson again had a spectacular game...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
My PP units:

smyth-kopitar-williams
doughty-johnson

frolov-handzus-brown
stoll-harrold/drewiske
I agree with both comments.

Ersberg was not good and I don't care if it was his first start of the year and he hasn't been in a game for a while. You are a NHL back up and it's you job to be ready when you get the call.

I know it's early but I am so frusterated watch the second line. Brown is playing like he's over paid. Purcell shows signs of being good but IMO he is just to weak. Stoll has been MIA. This team will go as far as this line will take them. Kopi's line will get there points but they can't put up 3-4 goals a game everynight.

The defense looks like they will be ok but I think DL should really take a hard look into improving that 2nd line.

Old
10-15-2009, 09:54 AM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Eh, kings ran into a hot goalie.

Hoping for a nice bounce back win in Detroit.

Old
10-15-2009, 09:59 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Have to agree about the goaltending and the weak plays of the 4th line being the main factors in the loss.

The Ivanans penalty that led to the first goal was just so terrible. I don't know if it was caught in fram on the telecast but I did see him skate right by a guy, take his hand off his stick and grab the Ranger around the waist...it was just so blatant and awful. I'm not even sure if that was the call though as I think he got the holding the stick penalty a little later in the shift. Either way, he didn't have to be out there tonight since Brashear was out. Then he's on the ice for the Boyle goal and you've got Harrold's penalty to account for as well. Love that he is going for a rebound but you can't just run the goalie over that. I didn't think it was an "iffy" call as it was pretty clear as day.

Richardson was great though so I won't lump him into this criticism.

I thought Simmonds was not very good at all until late in the 3rd when he switched lines and played with Richardson a bit. Whoever said Purcell was bad and Simmonds was good needs to stop playing favorites. I thought Wayne was invisible most of the game.

Frolov may have been the worst player in the 3rd line tonight though. He was pretty invisible as well except for turning the puck over in the offensive zone. I'm not a "Froloaf" guy by any means; the team needs more out of him though in a game like this.

As for Ersberg, the last 2 goals were bad but more importantly, this was a game where you felt every shot had a chance of going in. Haven't had a game like that in awhile and I hated the feeling it gave me.

I thought Doughty could have played Gaborik better on the last goal though. I screamed at the tv "Why are you giving him so much space!?!?" right before he snapped that shot. That is his play: Ersberg and Doughty should know that.

Old
10-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Defgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivehole93 View Post
I agree with both comments.

Ersberg was not good and I don't care if it was his first start of the year and he hasn't been in a game for a while. You are a NHL back up and it's you job to be ready when you get the call.

I know it's early but I am so frusterated watch the second line. Brown is playing like he's over paid. Purcell shows signs of being good but IMO he is just to weak. Stoll has been MIA. This team will go as far as this line will take them. Kopi's line will get there points but they can't put up 3-4 goals a game everynight.

The defense looks like they will be ok but I think DL should really take a hard look into improving that 2nd line.
Yea Ersberg had a bad game, but Quick's first few games were bad too. They just scored enough to pull out a win in one of them.

Old
10-15-2009, 10:29 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defgarden View Post
Yea Ersberg had a bad game, but Quick's first few games were bad too. They just scored enough to pull out a win in one of them.
I have a hard time calling Quick's game against San Jose "bad."

Old
10-15-2009, 10:29 AM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfinger View Post
I find the criticism of Brown very interesting. Listening to Fox over the last few games you get the impression that the team/coach is very happy with how Brown is playing. He is doing a much better job of screening the goalie and controlling the puck along the boards, both issues we fans have commented on in the past. In fact, both those skills have led to a couple goals for other guys this season. That, I realize, isn’t where the complaints are right now… what people are complaining about is Brown trying to do too much with the puck and shooting instead of making passes (being too selfish). Fox, however, gives the impression that Murray wants/expects that kind of play. In fact he went so far as to comment negatively about Zus a few times (such as the wide pass back to Johnson on the PP instead of spinning around to shoot) because what Murray wants is a shoot first mentality. I realize that Fox is just the color guy but he is a former player and has more access than we fans do. Is it possible that what we are criticizing Brown for is exactly what Murray is coaching him to do? Looking at the line setups, perhaps Murray sees Brown as becoming more of a dangler and shooter while we fans see him as a crasher and banger (ala Smyth).
If that is actually Murray's plan for a recurring league-leader in hits, he should be receiving colouring books for Christmas for the rest of his life.

Old
10-15-2009, 10:48 AM
Youngblood93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
I have a hard time calling Quick's game against San Jose "bad."
agreed

Old
10-15-2009, 11:04 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
We definitely need to see Jack and Drew on the power play together. It should be an option any time we need to establish or regain a lead.
yes... particularly the latter part.

they are also two young defenseman who can play an entire two-minutes as well, so one can stay out when the second unit comes on.

in this scenario, i also wouldn't mind seeing Purcell and Brown flipped.

Old
10-15-2009, 11:31 AM
not tellin*

checking needs to be addressed thoroughly in the game today. brown, simmonds, johnson, i'm talking to you.

Old
10-15-2009, 11:35 AM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
yes... particularly the latter part.

they are also two young defenseman who can play an entire two-minutes as well, so one can stay out when the second unit comes on.

in this scenario, i also wouldn't mind seeing Purcell and Brown flipped.
i agree, put em both on together. at least one of them can play the full 2:00 min, if not then harrold or someone else can jump on for the last few seconds.

Old
10-15-2009, 03:14 PM
Jwm1986

There is something about Williams that i really dont like.....Also, he fans on way too many shots....and it drives me nuts

i think TM should experiment with Purcell on the first line

Old
10-15-2009, 04:28 PM
123slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwm1986 View Post
There is something about Williams that i really dont like.....Also, he fans on way too many shots....and it drives me nuts

i think TM should experiment with Purcell on the first line
this.

Old
10-15-2009, 05:03 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123slam View Post
this.
Harrold over Lewis and Clune...wtf?

And Williams is overrated.

Closed Thread