HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Brighter Future: Rangers or Kings Defense

View Poll Results: Which will be better?
Kings by a mile 64 51.61%
Rangers by a mile 6 4.84%
Kings by a hair 34 27.42%
Rangers by a hair 14 11.29%
Call it a draw 6 4.84%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-13-2009, 07:31 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers View Post
Why thank you.

I guess the follow-up question would be:

Is there a team that compares to the defensive potential of both the Rangers and Kings?
Preds, Blues. Sens ain't too shabby either.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 04:59 PM
Cherepanisimov

Sorry for the long post

I don't understand where all this Johnson love is coming from. Sure he has great potential, but potential alone isn't enough to warrant some of your expectations. I don't think he will become the 2-way force I once thought he would be. Not saying he won't be a good player, just that he won't be as highly thought of as he has been. He has been fantastic this year, but until he does something substantial, he should not be ranked ahead of Staal. I don't think I am being a homer at all. Staal is entering his third season as the Rangers number one defenseman. Granted, that title isn't as impressive as say Detroit's or Philly's number one defenseman, but he is the best defenseman on a Cup contender, no question.

If I were to rank them:

1. Drew Doughty. (Unlike JJ, his potential is too high too ignore. I would say that Staal is better by a fair margin right now, but that will change very soon.)

2. Marc Staal. (Johnson has the offensive and defensive potential to surpass him, but at this point in time Staal is the better player. This could change as soon as this season, but I doubt it.)

3. Jack Johnson. (I'd say that Del Zotto has the higher offensive potential, quite easily actually, but JJ has a lot of potential on both sides of the ice, and is currently the better player.)

4. Michael Del Zotto. (I had Sanguinetti higher than MDZ as recently as September but he has blown away every Ranger fan with his play. Already our PPQB and offensive leader from the blueline. Hopefully he keeps it up.)

5. Thomas Hickey. (I don't know as much abouut Hickey as the others, but I do know that he has the potential to be a solid #2,3,4 defenseman. Probably a safer bet, too, to reach that potential than Gilroy, who has about that potential in my eyes.)

6. Matt Gilroy. (Better puckmover than any current Ranger defenseman, has been a pleasant surprise this season. Currently living up to his hype post-Frozen Four. Unfortunately his age is actually a disadvantage when comparing prospects, which is why he is below Hickey.)

7. Ryan McDonagh. (He may be the only player in the Rangers entire organization that has the playing style, skill, and determination of an actual number one defenseman. No guarantees, but I see potential there that I don't see in Staal, Del Zotto, Gilroy, or Sanguinetti, and that is saying a lot. After this season he could be ranked a lot higher on this list.)

8. Bobby Sanguinetti. (By a hair. His return to Hartford was a little disappointing, but one letdown does not cancel out his top-4 potential. Voinov may be better right now as I don't know much about him, but in the limited times I've seen him [Voinov] play I'd say that Sanguinetti has higher potential.

9. Vyacheslav Voinov. (You don't hear much about him but he is a solid player. I admit I haven't seen him play that much, but while I was impressed/surprised at his level of play, I was by no means blown away. I'd say he has about #4 potential. [Kings fans, if you think differently, please say so, because this ranking is based off of limited viewing.])

10. Colton Teubert. (Meh. I think he should have gone mid-twenties in the draft but he is a top prospect nonetheless. I don't see much offensive potential at all once he reaches the NHL, but I'd be afraid to step on the ice against him, something you can't say about any of these Rangers prospects.)

Secondary Talent:
I'll give the advantage to the Kings by a hair. I don't think anyone knows enough about both of the Kings and Rangers secondary prospects to make a fair comparison, although I have heard good thing about the Kings "other" guys, namely Martinez and Drewiske. You can't ignore players like Girardi or Sauer though.

Overall:
Other than Doughty and possibly Johnson, I believe that the Rangers have more high-end potential. The Kings have great depth, more physical players, and possibly more stability, but just look at the Rangers: Del Zotto, Sanguinetti, Gilroy, McDonagh. That is four potential powerplay quarterbacks/high-end offensive players.

Overall it obviously depends on what you prefer.

Do you want four (likely) high-end offensive players plus a highly touted shutdown defenseman in Staal?

Or do you want a blend of high-end talent in Doughty/Johnson, two players who will murder you in Johnson/Teubert, and two steady guys in Hickey/Voinov.

I can see how many people are going ith the Kings, but due to the Rangers lack of scoring recently, especially from the blueline, I'll gladly take our defense corps.

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 05:31 PM
fizban

I just don't see Staal as being that great. He's good, but I'd be shocked if he ever got all star consideration. At best I'd say Staal could become the 60th best defenseman in the league. I've watched the kid pretty closely because I'm trying to see what so many Rangers fans are seeing, but I just don't get it.

fizban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 05:46 PM
Polaris
Cold as Ice

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers View Post
Why thank you.

I guess the follow-up question would be:

Is there a team that compares to the defensive potential of both the Rangers and Kings?
The Blues are probably close.

Erik Johnson
Alex Pietrangelo
David Rundblad
Ian Cole
Roman Polak
Jonas Junland
Cade Fairchild
Kristoffer Berglund
David Warsofsky
Brett Ponich

Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 05:50 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizban View Post
I just don't see Staal as being that great. He's good, but I'd be shocked if he ever got all star consideration. At best I'd say Staal could become the 60th best defenseman in the league. I've watched the kid pretty closely because I'm trying to see what so many Rangers fans are seeing, but I just don't get it.
Staal isn't flashy and thats why you don't see it.

He's a solid, stay at home defenseman.

BTW, Kings by a hair

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 05:59 PM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

Kings.

The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 06:06 PM
Michael Scofield

My top five teams for defensive potential:
1. Kings
2. Blues
3. Rangers
4. Predators
5. Lightning

Michael Scofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 06:15 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
The Rangers D struck first tonight, nice work by MDZ on the pp.

Also, a nice hit from MDZ onto Doughty on that PP too.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 07:14 PM
fizban

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaRanger View Post
Staal isn't flashy and thats why you don't see it.

He's a solid, stay at home defenseman.

BTW, Kings by a hair
I agree that he's a solid stay at home defenseman. I also think that Rob Scuderi and Robyn Regehr are stay at home defenseman that every team would welcome with open arms. In every case I see defensemen that can be a fantastic compliment to their offensive counterpart, but I don't see any of them as defensemen that can really be relied on as the anchor to their own top pairing. People talk about Staal like he's the greatest thing since sliced bread and it simply isn't true. He's good...really good, but the attention he gets wouldn't be nearly so great if he did not have two very successful brothers in the league already. He's a legit top 4 guy who can serve as the defensive component of a top pairing in some situations, but it's almost disgusting to see how some people are placing unfair and unjust expectations on the kid. He has a very useful skillset and will no doubt have a long career in this league, but he is nowhere near some of the names that have been mentioned in this thread.

fizban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 11:54 AM
TheRedressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizban View Post
I agree that he's a solid stay at home defenseman. I also think that Rob Scuderi and Robyn Regehr are stay at home defenseman that every team would welcome with open arms. In every case I see defensemen that can be a fantastic compliment to their offensive counterpart, but I don't see any of them as defensemen that can really be relied on as the anchor to their own top pairing. People talk about Staal like he's the greatest thing since sliced bread and it simply isn't true. He's good...really good, but the attention he gets wouldn't be nearly so great if he did not have two very successful brothers in the league already. He's a legit top 4 guy who can serve as the defensive component of a top pairing in some situations, but it's almost disgusting to see how some people are placing unfair and unjust expectations on the kid. He has a very useful skillset and will no doubt have a long career in this league, but he is nowhere near some of the names that have been mentioned in this thread.

Staal right now is a sold #2 defenseman in this league. He is the perfect defensive partner to a player like Del Zotto. He can matchup physically with any forward in the league and will withstand their physicality as well as their speed.

The only thing keeping him from being a number 1 defenseman is that he will never top 35 points in a season.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote