HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Doan on NHL Live

Old
10-14-2009, 05:38 AM
nooch

vCash: 500
Doan on NHL Live

Shane Doan headlines NHL Live on Wednesday.

News NHL.comWednesday's edition of NHL Live promises to be an action-packed show from the NHL Store Powered by Reebok in New York.

Hosted by Rob Simpson and Billy Jaffe, NHL Live will have Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan on the program, as well as NHL Radio insider Jay Feaster. Darren Dreger of TSN and the NHL Network will also share his views on the young season.

Not to be missed is the in-studio interview with John O, who is a member of the rock band "Five For Fighting."

NHL Live is aired from 12-2 p.m. ET on XM Radio and can be seen on the NHL Network.

nooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 11:29 AM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

JoVo = Riverboat Gambler

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 04:47 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
JoVo = Riverboat Gambler
For the sake of context, Doan was asked about guys that people may not hear much about but really stand out. He brought up Yandle as a player that is becoming and has the potential to be a really special player in the mold of Dan Boyle or Mike Green and how you can almost get caught watching him or take for granted with your positioning going up ice that Yandle is going to beat guys on his own. He said it helped having Jovo around who is kind of a "riverboat gambler" on the ice.

He also brought up Hanzal as a player really coming along.

Finally he mentioned that the team feels Jim Vandermeer is even better than anyone had hoped. He is a physical presence that makes it hard to play in his zone and he is doing it without taking many penalties.

Apparently Jovanovski was also in the background giving Doan a hard time while he was on the phone with NHL Live.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 05:28 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
Finally he mentioned that the team feels Jim Vandermeer is even better than anyone had hoped. He is a physical presence that makes it hard to play in his zone and he is doing it without taking many penalties.
I've always liked Jim Vandemeer. I was excited when we traded for him. That aside, he has exceeded my expectations. Especially in his transition game.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 05:42 PM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
For the sake of context, Doan was asked about guys that people may not hear much about but really stand out. He brought up Yandle as a player that is becoming and has the potential to be a really special player in the mold of Dan Boyle or Mike Green and how you can almost get caught watching him or take for granted with your positioning going up ice that Yandle is going to beat guys on his own. He said it helped having Jovo around who is kind of a "riverboat gambler" on the ice.

He also brought up Hanzal as a player really coming along.

Apparently Jovanovski was also in the background giving Doan a hard time while he was on the phone with NHL Live.
Thx for the update. It's nice to hear Doan's input. IMO Doan, Yandle & Hanzal have been our strongest players so far.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

I gotta give some love to Lepisto. I think he's done a solid job in Sauer's absence!

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 06:08 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
I've always liked Jim Vandemeer. I was excited when we traded for him. That aside, he has exceeded my expectations. Especially in his transition game.
I didn't know enough about him before to know if I really liked him. I knew he was a tough player and wasn't disappointed when the Coyotes got him, but I hadn't really watched him enough to really know.

Since he has been with the Coyotes I have been impressed as well. He has more skill with the puck on his stick than I would generally expect out of a stay at home, tough defender like him. He brings the advertised defensive play and while he still hasn't shown a lot of in your face toughness, I don't doubt he will when needed. I am actually quite happy with his discipline since a lot of players like him can't always keep a lid on their emotions and take bad penalties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
Thx for the update. It's nice to hear Doan's input. IMO Doan, Yandle & Hanzal have been our strongest players so far.
I think Doan, Yandle and Hanzal have been pretty good, but I have even higher expectations of them than they have shown so far. I think Upshall, Lombardi and Bryzgalov have been better early in the season.

Old
10-15-2009, 09:23 AM
Jake16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
Vandermeer's only negative so far is that his temper gets the best of him and so he seems to take stupid and untimely penalties. His play has been stellar.

Jake16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 09:24 AM
Jake16

Quote:
I I am actually quite happy with his discipline since a lot of players like him can't always keep a lid on their emotions and take bad penalties.
Huh? did you see the Buffalo game?

Jake16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 10:54 AM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake16 View Post
I think I managed to get drunk enough to block that entire game out right afterward.

The entire team lost their cool in that game, so I'm not going to pin it on him.

Old
10-15-2009, 02:30 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake16 View Post
Please don't even bring up that penalty they gave to him at the end. Shocking that an NHL player could go down so easy from a little push from behind.

I don't think his discipline has been bad at all. It's been way worse from when I used to watch him on the Hawks, Flyers, and Flames. He tried going at Kaleta for that hit he laid on Prucha, he got a penalty but I thought that was BS as well. I like that he is willing to send a message that you can't do that to our players, but he's not such an animal that he's going to put us on the PK all night. I look at him as kind of a more diciplined Boynton with better puck skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uA6Pwsc1LY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IzvaoaWJ0w

Old
10-15-2009, 03:08 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Doan interview.

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/podcastp...id=DL|PHX|home