HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Devils make room for Rugged Clarkson

Old
10-14-2009, 08:31 PM
Devil X
Next man up!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Devil X
Devils make room for Rugged Clarkson

Figured I would post this from CBS Sportsline. Its an article about Clarkie. Enjoy!

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/story/12363239

Devil X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 08:33 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

CBS plays 100th fiddle in terms of places i go for hockey news, but huzzah

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 08:35 PM
Dr Grant

Send a message via MSN to Dr Grant
Clarkson is an Assistant Captain? Since when?

Dr Grant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 08:37 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ4 View Post
i rest my case.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 08:37 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
when shanny was captain

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 08:41 PM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

Quote:
Preseason.

Das Uber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
During preseason Clarkson wore the 'A'.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 08:45 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Terrible reporting. And "rugged" makes it sound like he's riding a horse on the cover of a checkout counter romance novel.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 09:02 AM
MauDevils

Found this in an article -

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils.nhl.com
Clarkson fought Washington captain Chris Clark after the Devils fell behind, but Lemaire doesn't believe that fighting has the same effect it once did.

"I don't think fights are as important as they were in years past," the coach said. "A fight is a fight. They go in the box and that's it. In the past, it changed games; changed the tempo of games a lot more. Today, the guys keep playing, no matter what happens."
I don't agree with this at all. It's a little strange that he's going on about Clarkson giving him all the credit in the world, yet he overlooks this.

Obviously Clarkson's fight meant something, because it definitely got a spark out of our team and started the rally.

Just thought that was weird because he was giving him so much credit for everything else, and shot him down for something I was impressed with. I couldn't believe Clarkson even found someone willing to go with him when we were down by two.

MauDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 09:03 AM
Richer's Ghost
GO SJ & CBJ

vCash: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Terrible reporting. And "rugged" makes it sound like he's riding a horse on the cover of a checkout counter romance novel.

We're all a bunch of sausage sticks walking around. None of us really wants to see how we were made.
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 09:16 AM
MauDevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Well I'd rather have an article about our "Rugged" Clarkson, than having to read the NHL.com article about Avery and Lundswiss being "Fashionista's"

MauDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Harrison Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauDevils View Post

I don't agree with this at all. It's a little strange that he's going on about Clarkson giving him all the credit in the world, yet he overlooks this.
If that's the case, why is still Peters playing? Kind of contradictory, but I guess he didn't play against the Caps so it's all good...for now. Our young wingers are developing very nicely. Can't wait to see Tedenby and Josefson come over next year and hopefully make the team.

Harrison Ford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 09:34 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 50
Quote:

Obviously Clarkson's fight meant something, because it definitely got a spark out of our team and started the rally.

Just thought that was weird because he was giving him so much credit for everything else, and shot him down for something I was impressed with. I couldn't believe Clarkson even found someone willing to go with him when we were down by two.
Then why did Lemaire have such a man crush on Boogard in Minnesota?

AfroThunder396 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 12:20 PM
brule2000

Quote:

Lemaire is comparing today's game to the NHL of 15 to 40 years ago. Teams were intimidated by tough players on the opposition. The game was policed by the players and if no-one on your team stepped up to put some tough guy in his place then the whole team could look and feel beaten. In contrast if your team was being beaten for skill or into the corners it was possible to intimidate the opposition into thinking twice by beating their toughest player up and taking liberties with the players hurting you on the scoreboard.

It happened all the time, hence the truism "you won't beat them on the ice if you can't beat them in the alley."

But we live in a more civilised and professional age today. The game is controlled by agencies off the ice and policed by the zebras on it. The players no longer even consider getting hurt and intimidated in their play. They do what they have been taught to do since peewee, get in position against players twice their size and know that if anyone takes liberties the powers off the ice will deal with it and repeat offenders will be thrown out of hockey before they even graduate to the NHL.

Fighters can only get involved with other fighters now. Violence is a pantomime. Clarkson fighting Clark won't have affected how the other Caps or Devils played the next shift in any way; they're too professional. Lemaire played with Larry Robinson and coached Scott Stevens when their toughness (hitting, not fighting) changed the destination of Stanley Cups. That's no longer part of the game.

Peters is there because fighting is still legal and someone must answer the opposition's designated fighter. His skirmishes are separate (an entertainment within the game) not integral to the flow or momentum anymore.

You probably have to be over 30 be fully aware of this reality. Lemaire is one of the wisest heads in the history of the game. He has regularly said in the past month that skating short, intense shifts in which the players consistently make the correct decisions within their system is what determines the momentum shifts in the modern NHL. Fighting today has very little chance of changing the course of a game because the players are like intense little automata; very hard to deflect from their work.

brule2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 04:28 PM
Devils Unseen Hand

The game today can still be changed by a big hit more than say, a fight. Both work depending on the situation.

When we had Janssen, you knew he was going to finish his checks & hit someone hard. Opponents watched for that & would respond by sending out an enforcer, or going out of character & retaliating. Cam was very effective at drawing penalties than taking them. Hence, he would take them momentarily out of their game plan to focus on him.

The Devils right now have 2 fighters, both of which that really don't deliver monster hits. Thus, if they don't drop the gloves...its kinda of a waste to play them. If they were more of a feared hitter, different scenario.

This is why I keep going back to a player like Tulupov & why he was let go of by the Devils. It never made sense to me. Especially more-so now that Stevens is here to help coach the defense. This kids was the monster-sized version of him. And he's STILL available.

The minute Stevens said he'd be coming here to coach the D, Lou should have signed this kid to a contract because in my humble opinion...that kid has the hitting magnitude that Stevens had... being capable of changing the outcome of a game with a monster hit. And to have his hero teach him what he knows...I'm salivating now just thinking about it

Intimidation is huge when someone huge (like a Tulupov) can deliver a crushing hit & put fear in the back of our opponents minds when crossing he blue line.

Devils Unseen Hand is offline   Reply With Quote