HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, expansion and relocation, and NHL revenues.

Need help-IMG or Octagon?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-21-2004, 09:49 PM
  #1
QQQ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
Need help-IMG or Octagon?

Hi all: I'm looking for some input.

If you were approached by these two agencies which one would you go with and why.

QQQ is offline  
Old
11-22-2004, 12:24 AM
  #2
Bicycle Repairman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,695
vCash: 500
I would choose IMG. They have a far more impressive list of clients and are responsible for many benchmark contracts. Their work in securring marketing partners for product endorsements is second to none.

And with IMG's worldwide reach into the entertainment business, should I desire to record and distribute a Rap Album, or embark upon a Bollywood movie career, their multi-capable team of dedicated professionals would work tirelessly on my behalf.

Bicycle Repairman is offline  
Old
11-22-2004, 09:40 AM
  #3
Schlep Rock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QQQ
Hi all: I'm looking for some input.

If you were approached by these two agencies which one would you go with and why.
Who you are?

Schlep Rock is offline  
Old
11-22-2004, 10:40 PM
  #4
QQQ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
Does it matter who I am? Who are you?

What if Bollywood and RAP aren't your strong suits?

QQQ is offline  
Old
11-23-2004, 12:18 AM
  #5
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga
 
thinkwild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,317
vCash: 500
I think IMG represents Maria Sharipova. Might be worth it just for the Christmas party.

I cant help but think you are checking for agents on these boards. I know many find it inconceivable that just ordinary fans with no self interest in the issue could be against a salary cap.

When Elias got burned by a tough negotiator in Lou, he said I'll make sure im properly represented next time - he got Gandler. Or maybe that was just to raise Lou's blood pressure.

thinkwild is offline  
Old
11-23-2004, 08:48 AM
  #6
Schlep Rock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QQQ
Does it matter who I am? Who are you?

What if Bollywood and RAP aren't your strong suits?
To comment if you're looking for an agent you want to go with somebody capable of handling you (or your sons) needs. A big firm is nice but will they even pay attention to the needs of the player while he's young?

Schlep Rock is offline  
Old
11-23-2004, 07:44 PM
  #7
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 20,089
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Repairman
I would choose IMG. They have a far more impressive list of clients and are responsible for many benchmark contracts. Their work in securring marketing partners for product endorsements is second to none.

And with IMG's worldwide reach into the entertainment business, should I desire to record and distribute a Rap Album, or embark upon a Bollywood movie career, their multi-capable team of dedicated professionals would work tirelessly on my behalf.

LOL. Did you get that off a glossy IMG brochure?

me2 is offline  
Old
11-24-2004, 05:01 AM
  #8
QQQ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlep Rock
To comment if you're looking for an agent you want to go with somebody capable of handling you (or your sons) needs. A big firm is nice but will they even pay attention to the needs of the player while he's young?
Thanks Schlep.
So what do you base your decision on as there can be only one?

QQQ is offline  
Old
11-28-2004, 11:36 AM
  #9
paul99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Montreal, PQ
Posts: 348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QQQ
Thanks Schlep.
So what do you base your decision on as there can be only one?
If you have a superstar potential, you will be approach by the main agency representatives: Brisson ( IMG), Meehan and so on.

If you have not a great potential, you won't be approach.

In any case, you should select the firm based on:

- comments you will receive from other clients of the firms
- the personal values and goals you are sharing with the firm
- the personnal contact you felt with the firm's representative with whom you be in contact regularly
- the non-monetary things they are offering you personnal trainer, summer camps, media, support of any kind.

The money offered by the firrms should not be the first criteria.

Good luck!

paul99 is offline  
Old
11-28-2004, 12:28 PM
  #10
Tom_Benjamin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul99
If you have a superstar potential, you will be approach by the main agency representatives: Brisson ( IMG), Meehan and so on.
This is absolutely right. If the player is searching for an agent, he isn't good enough. Every decent 15 and 16 year old player is fielding dozens of letters from agents.

I was involved in a court case with a 16 year old who was suing a doctor for malpractice and claiming damages for a lost NHL career. One of the salient facts of the case was that the kid was not approached by an agent before he had his accident. He was good, but not good enough that any agent or agency was willing to invest time and money in him.

About 20 genuine NHL careers will result from the best 3,000 16 year olds in Canada. We are talking super long odds for almost everyone.

Quote:
The money offered by the firms should not be the first criteria.
It shouldn't be, but there is a real problem in this regard in my opinion. One agency tells he kid he will be a star and they will make him a gazillion dollars. Another agency provides a more realistic assessment. Where does the kid go?

Tom

Tom_Benjamin is offline  
Old
11-28-2004, 01:25 PM
  #11
paul99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Montreal, PQ
Posts: 348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Benjamin
It shouldn't be, but there is a real problem in this regard in my opinion. One agency tells he kid he will be a star and they will make him a gazillion dollars. Another agency provides a more realistic assessment. Where does the kid go?

Tom
By money , I did mean either the money offered by some agencies to the 14/15-year-old kids or parents for studies, etc or the percentage asked for services. It should notbe the first criteria.

paul99 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.