HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time to trade Plekanec

Old
10-15-2009, 11:48 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djee#9 View Post
Washington should Trade Ovechkin
So by that are you saying Plekanec = Ovechkin?

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 12:35 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
Because he's our best player right now.
Amen.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 12:37 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
We can trade him, if we can bring another, better center in return. He was our best player tonight.
Just tonight? Compare his stats with Gomez's.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 12:38 AM
hfboardsuser

I'd trade Gilbert or Grebeshkov for him.

Gilbert/Grebs + Brule for Plekanec + something?

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 01:19 AM
HCH

Why should we trade him when we can let him play out his contract and sign elsewhere as a UFA next summer... that's our strategy isn't it?

HCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 02:28 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
I'd trade Gilbert or Grebeshkov for him.

Gilbert/Grebs + Brule for Plekanec + something?
This is the only way I'd possibly look at trading Plekanec. He's been the best player on the team though and I'm not sure I would.

Grebs (RFA) would help us out quite a bit on defense and could make Gill eat a lot less minutes. And it'd give us a helluva a top-4 next year.

Brule has had an excellent start to the season, but I'm not sure he can keep it up. Either way, he's a good enough roster player.

Cammalleri - Brule - Gionta
Kostitsyn - Gomez - Kostitsyn
Latendresse - Lapierre - D'Agostini/Pacioretty
Laraque - Metropolit - Moen
Chipchura

Hamrlik - Spacek
Grebeshkov - Gorges
Mara - Gill

Price - Halak

Ehhh... it does improve our defense, but kills our offensive game. So the improvement is lateral at best - and this is without filling in the ??? part of the deal.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 04:52 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
Why should we trade him when we can let him play out his contract and sign elsewhere as a UFA next summer... that's our strategy isn't it?

Strategy should be trade all decent players for picks so we can watch them have a decent playoff run elsewhere!

and once the players we picked are decent players too, we trade em for other picks

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 04:58 AM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

people missed the humour to this thread...

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 05:07 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

We should try to get this guy for Plekanec :

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 11:36 AM
gabbag00

HAHAH just looked at Eklund, Plekanec for Hamhuis (E3) hahahahhaha

gabbag00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 11:43 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbag00 View Post
The best thing is his reasoning being that the Preds are desperately searching for scoring. Isn't that the same problem we're having?

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 12:02 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
I personally do believe that there is something between Nashville and Montreal but I think that it's bigger than what Eklund is saying. Plekanec for Hamhuis alone doesn't make any sense as we would be left without a second line center... unless we moved Cammalleri to center but we'd need another top 6 forward.

Gainey tried signing Arnott a few years ago and I wouldn't be surprised one bit if he was pushing hard to get him... The Preds are also desperate as they're off to a bad start.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 12:25 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I personally do believe that there is something between Nashville and Montreal but I think that it's bigger than what Eklund is saying. Plekanec for Hamhuis alone doesn't make any sense as we would be left without a second line center... unless we moved Cammalleri to center but we'd need another top 6 forward.

Gainey tried signing Arnott a few years ago and I wouldn't be surprised one bit if he was pushing hard to get him... The Preds are also desperate as they're off to a bad start.
Nashville is looking for offence on the top two lines and they are deep on D. I believe Plek's would be involved in a much bigger deal, but Sergei K and a player/prospect may work for UFA Hamhuis.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 01:07 PM
gabbag00

Radulov rights ^^^plz

gabbag00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 01:14 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Radulov rights ^^^plz
I'd love that but we'd have to be given the permission to talk to him first, seeing if we can agree to a contract first or at the very least, what his intentions are. What's his contractual status in the KHL?

Old
10-16-2009, 01:35 PM
icerocket

This is the logic in Montreal:

A player is playing badly? Trade him! He is useless!

A player is playing well? Trade him! He has trade value!

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 02:18 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Bergeron

From watching the last three games, what we really need is a puck moving defenceman that can get the puck quickly up the ice, be more offensive minded in the other team's zone (a.k.a. pinch more), and get more pucks on net from the blueline. Luckily we won't have to trade Plecanec to get that... because we just signed him! We need a D-man that "thinks" offense. Did you notice that it was only until we were down a goal late in the third that Gorges (he was the only one i saw do it more) started pinching into every play when the puck came around the boards in the offensive zone. It only seems logical that the D-men should do this ALL game long, seeing as though Martin preaches a severe back-checking style for his forwards, his D should be cheating more. On top of that, players should always be moving, always in flux. Colorado scored a goal last night where we had three guys back but everyone was standing still. If the D had been more in the initial offensive-zone play they would have been skating with the attacking colorado players instead of waiting. I was watching a Chicago game earlier in the week on TSN and noticed that they play like this, they're always implicating in the offense. That's the only way you sustain solid pressure, and they did it all game long. The problem with the Canadiens is that they don't have enough offensive minded guys to perform this style of game for 60 minutes. At the end of the game we saw Hal Gill try that, and it backfired. Bergeron will instantly help with that side of the game--i guarantee it. An this isn't a slight on Weber, it's just that Bergeron will have more confidence to take risks. Weber is at that stage of his career where if he has a couple of "off" games he gets sent down. That won't be the case for Bergeron. He may sit out games, but it will be in the press box, not in hamilton.

Last edited by Markowicz: 10-16-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Markowicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Ncrdrg

Send a message via AIM to Ncrdrg Send a message via MSN to Ncrdrg
The idea to trade a player when he's at his peak is when you're 100% sure to lose him next year due to UFA market or that you're dead convinced the guy is playing over his head.
Plekanec had a bad year.... but I'm convinced that what we see now is the real Plekanec. The one guy we should have traded when the value was there... was Souray. In that instance, Gainey didn't have the balls to trade him and give up the chance to a playoff spot. (Which we missed in the last game anyway)

Ncrdrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 02:32 PM
BeerHell

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
This is the logic in Montreal:

A player is playing badly? Trade him! He is useless!

A player is playing well? Trade him! He has trade value!

See you fail to see something....when a player is playing badly it's trade him he is useless..we will have great return for him, the return might even be better then we ever hope the useless player could be...but when the same player actually is worth something...then we should never trade him. the op is right at this moment he is plaing great if we could have a better player by packaging Pleky now... why not? because think about it how can you get better by trading useless player? they are only gonna bring back other useless player...

BeerHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 02:33 PM
Habsfan18

We should have locked Plekanec up this past summer. Now, if he has a great season he'll be curious to see what he could get on the open market next summer.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 03:34 PM
Miller Time

He needs to either be extended ASAP, or traded...

going on the history of this management team, nothing will be done until the offseason, at which point a feeble attempt to re-sign him will be made, he'll reject it opting instead to wait the few weeks longer to test the market.

some other team will offer him a slightly better deal, and since he has no reason to show any loyalty to a team that didn't value him enough to offer him a contract extension while he was developing, he'll play out his prime years for some other team.

some posters here will cry foul, call him a *******, and celebrate management for not "caving" in and signing such a disloyal individual.

sigh...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 08:03 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Out of curiosity, would you consider a trade involving Plekanec and something else for, let's say... Jason Arnott?

Old
10-16-2009, 08:24 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Out of curiosity, would you consider a trade involving Plekanec and something else for, let's say... Jason Arnott?
I'd trade Gomez for Arnott...

I don't think we have cap space for a Arnott-Plekanec swap and it still leaves a glaring hole for a top 6 winger.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 08:24 PM
sampollock

Quote:

weber?

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 12:00 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
I'd trade Gomez for Arnott...

I don't think we have cap space for a Arnott-Plekanec swap and it still leaves a glaring hole for a top 6 winger.
First of all, there's no way in hell that Nashville trades Arnott for Plekanec straight across, so more salary would likely go the other way. Secondly, Markov's salary won't count against the cap due to the LTIR. We have tons of cap space. Lastly, I highly doubt that Gomez is traded at this point, regardless if we should or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
weber?
There's an idea... trade one Weber for the other... people in Nashville won't even notice I'm sure!