HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"What Goalies?" - 10.15.09 - Nashville vs. Chicago

Old
10-16-2009, 08:37 AM
RollingPredFan

vCash: 500
You know what is sad is that Turco and Huet have been really struggling... and against us, they suddenly look a lot better

It's early and I'm trying not to panic, but going in we knew we were relying a lot on the younger players. I'm for moving Bullion with Hamhuis, Klein is not getting the job done.

It's no suprise we are dead last in the PP now. And 27th in the penalty kill. We are last in goals for, 20th in goals against. It's amazing we have 2 wins

I don't know what is the answer except a trade, but I doubt this happens.

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 08:47 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

The scoring is killing our goalies too. The goalies know if they give up more than one goal, we'll likely lose the game. They think they have no room for the slightest error and they're playing tight. Add Klein's defense to that and it's horrible.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 08:47 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck View Post
my question is this: are the guys laying down on Trotz or is Arnott a crappy leader? Are there locker room problems? Does Arnott/Dumont want out?
Or do we just not have the talent most teams do?

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 08:59 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

13 SOG's for the game.

2 in the third period.

Zero (0) during the last minute with a PP AND the extra skater.

Solid.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Klein was HORRIBLE, NEVER pass in front of the crease that's something you learn when you just start playing.
Legwand saved Rinne's ass in the first.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 10:16 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck View Post
my question is this: are the guys laying down on Trotz or is Arnott a crappy leader? Are there locker room problems? Does Arnott/Dumont want out?
No, somewhat, no, and no.

If anything, last night was an indication that the team is willing to play hard and work as a unit to right the ship. Trotz changed up some of our systems to admittedly be more aggressive against Chicago and the players responded with the necessary effort needed to prevent us from getting scorched by the Hawks transition game.

Arnott has never been that great of a "lead by example" type of guy and that is a major ding on him, but last night I felt that he was digging deep and doing his best to play a more aggressive style.

Arnott and Dumont both want to right the ship right here, right now. It was pointed out to me yesterday that Arnott volunteered to do the first intermission TV spot at Dallas and Weber volunteered to come out to do the spot after the game. Those guys did it because they are captains. They did it to save someone else from being in that awkward position and they did it to control the message coming out of the room. Dumont too essentially laid it all out there yesterday demanding that he be activated from IR and play last night to try to provide a spark to the team (debatable result at best). These guys aren't cowering away inside the locker room nor are they calling out anyone individually.

The message is that this is a team and as a team, they will work through this.

Bottom line for me is that if you read Arnott's quote from after the team meetings yesterday morning, you could pretty much expect to see the Predators outshot badly by Chicago. Arnott said that the team has to essentially figure it out in their end of the rink first before they worry about anything else. He did say that he felt that if the Preds took care of the defense, that the offense would start to work on it's own terms.

That's what I felt I saw last night. The team was much more aggressive and much better defensively, but still struggled a bit to breakout and breakthrough Chicago's attack mentality to head the other way. The game was obviously broken down into smaller segments and you could see the confidence building in the players as they continued to play even with Chicago early. The back-to-back goals were deflating, but they recovered from that and stopped the bleeding there.

Overall, I guess I'll wrap up my feelings from last night as being far from happy, but not as frustrated and upset as I was after Dallas. Sure we still aren't producing offense, but that wasn't the main point of emphasis last night. We shored up the defensive game and now need to work hard to make sure that that same effort is there on a consistent basis and can work to refine that part of the equation by eliminating the unnecessary giveaways, icings, and alike. Next step would be to start stringing together a few short passes and maybe an occasional stretch pass (STOP FORCING THE LONG CROSS-ICE PASSES), to breakout of our zone, get through the neutral zone, and then the need is clearly there for another mindset change at the other end - attack the net...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 10:52 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Could someone please explain this epic level of suck this team has been suffering through?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 11:01 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Could someone please explain this epic level of suck this team has been suffering through?
Nope, they're working their way back from "Hockey Hell".

FWIW, did anyone else notice in the first period when Goc went on his partial breakaway and shot it into Huet's pads that the team was never credited with a shot? Later in the shift they credited his second shot on the shift, but never did they go back and award that initial shot on goal. Even the off-ice event staff is suffering from this level of suck...

Old
10-16-2009, 11:05 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Nope, they're working their way back from "Hockey Hell".

FWIW, did anyone else notice in the first period when Goc went on his partial breakaway and shot it into Huet's pads that the team was never credited with a shot? Later in the shift they credited his second shot on the shift, but never did they go back and award that initial shot on goal. Even the off-ice event staff is suffering from this level of suck...
Give me a phone call when they at least make it out of purgatory.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 11:39 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
No, somewhat, no, and no.

If anything, last night was an indication that the team is willing to play hard and work as a unit to right the ship. Trotz changed up some of our systems to admittedly be more aggressive against Chicago and the players responded with the necessary effort needed to prevent us from getting scorched by the Hawks transition game.

Arnott has never been that great of a "lead by example" type of guy and that is a major ding on him, but last night I felt that he was digging deep and doing his best to play a more aggressive style.

Arnott and Dumont both want to right the ship right here, right now. It was pointed out to me yesterday that Arnott volunteered to do the first intermission TV spot at Dallas and Weber volunteered to come out to do the spot after the game. Those guys did it because they are captains. They did it to save someone else from being in that awkward position and they did it to control the message coming out of the room. Dumont too essentially laid it all out there yesterday demanding that he be activated from IR and play last night to try to provide a spark to the team (debatable result at best). These guys aren't cowering away inside the locker room nor are they calling out anyone individually.

The message is that this is a team and as a team, they will work through this.

Bottom line for me is that if you read Arnott's quote from after the team meetings yesterday morning, you could pretty much expect to see the Predators outshot badly by Chicago. Arnott said that the team has to essentially figure it out in their end of the rink first before they worry about anything else. He did say that he felt that if the Preds took care of the defense, that the offense would start to work on it's own terms.

That's what I felt I saw last night. The team was much more aggressive and much better defensively, but still struggled a bit to breakout and breakthrough Chicago's attack mentality to head the other way. The game was obviously broken down into smaller segments and you could see the confidence building in the players as they continued to play even with Chicago early. The back-to-back goals were deflating, but they recovered from that and stopped the bleeding there.

Overall, I guess I'll wrap up my feelings from last night as being far from happy, but not as frustrated and upset as I was after Dallas. Sure we still aren't producing offense, but that wasn't the main point of emphasis last night. We shored up the defensive game and now need to work hard to make sure that that same effort is there on a consistent basis and can work to refine that part of the equation by eliminating the unnecessary giveaways, icings, and alike. Next step would be to start stringing together a few short passes and maybe an occasional stretch pass (STOP FORCING THE LONG CROSS-ICE PASSES), to breakout of our zone, get through the neutral zone, and then the need is clearly there for another mindset change at the other end - attack the net...
I agree with this. This team just can't fix everything at once- everyone would get lost in the chaos of it all. Establish a mindset, and focus of defense first and the power play second.

Last night was better. I did not like the changes to the power play. Right now, Sullivan is too turnover prone to be on the point for my comfort levels.

Colin Wilson continued to impress me. He was also one of few that would walk in from the halfboards in an effort to be aggressive and force something offensively.

Legwand was very active.

SLake, did my eyes deceive me (and I watched the game on DVR-delay, so I could just have been tired) or did we play some 2-1-2 in an effort to increase our forechecking? I thought I saw that often from the Erat and Legwand lines.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 12:54 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

I thought I saw some 2-1-2 as well, but was not sure if it was coincidental or intentional. I did not turn off this game feeling as depressed about it as the last two. This was like a 'normal' loss, not one of those gut-wrenching, 'man they blow' losses. The kind you can expect on an 82 game schedule when you are not as talented as every club and are working thru some issues.

Sat. night could be tough playing against the offensively explosive Caps team at Verizon Center that has been under-performing lately. That means they are due for a breakout game, will have the rocking crown behind them, and this mentally fragile squad could be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Deeply conflicted as the Caps are my second team, but the Preds need this W way more.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 01:06 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
SLake, did my eyes deceive me (and I watched the game on DVR-delay, so I could just have been tired) or did we play some 2-1-2 in an effort to increase our forechecking? I thought I saw that often from the Erat and Legwand lines.
Yeah, we definitely did play a 2-1-2 forecheck at times last night and it was disrupting Chicago's breakout a lot in the first period especially because they weren't expecting it. Now, had we capitalized off some of those turnovers it created...then I think we all would have been happy...

Personally, I was elated to see us make the change to a more aggressive system after all my posting in the 20 or so hours between the Dallas game and last night. Kudos to the team too for doing it without the benefit of any practice time either, they skipped the morning skate for extended meetings...

Old
10-16-2009, 03:50 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
goals 20 seconds apart are killing me

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 05:14 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
I agree with this. This team just can't fix everything at once- everyone would get lost in the chaos of it all. Establish a mindset, and focus of defense first and the power play second.
Colin Wilson continued to impress me. He was also one of few that would walk in from the halfboards in an effort to be aggressive and force something offensively.
We've almost never done this in the Trotz era. Other teams know this so they can shade their defense wider then they otherwise would have to, making even the perimeter passes more contested. And the shots longer and less effective.

One time Ronning kept getting the puck right in front of me at the halfboards. It looked like an airplane runway heading to the goal, nobody playing him, only the potential pass receivers, and way out away from the net, yet he kept passing back around because he didn't want to shoot from that far out with nobody in front for a rebound, yet he wouldn't skate.

I kept hollering at him (had to be annoying...) to skate in, and finally late in the game, he did. He just skated all the way to the front of the net uncontested and roofed a no-look shot. Goal. My friend who had my other ticket looked at me and said, "how come they never try that?". I don't know. When it's undefended. Force the defense to account for it and your perimeter passes may more effective and your shots shorter, and at least the defense has to work quite a bit harder as they have to sag down/in and switch more. Of course a player not skilled at shielding the puck and passing accurately under defensive pressure can make a lot of turnovers.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 10-16-2009 at 05:23 PM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 01:45 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Sucks to keep losing but this wasn't so bad. Played better defensively...relatively speaking. But the offense isn't there. I don't understand 2 shots in the third when you're trailing. I don't care if it goes into the goalie's crest, just hit the freaking net, force the goalie to make a save.

We didn't give up 6 goals and we went a whole period without allowing a goal. That's close enough to a win for me.

Colin Wilson looks good. I hope this losing isn't making him lose any confidence.

Eddie Olcyzk was on the NHL show this morning talking about the game. He said that of all the times he has done Hawks games, in this building, this was the least physical he has ever seen us play. (I know we were credited with more hits but there wasn't a lot of physical play from us. Smithson hit a few guys hard but that was about it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
Oh what the hell:

Preds actually score a goal in a 3-1 loss to the Hawks.
Nice

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 02:17 AM
Wantsumcheezwyrwine

The team

You know I contemplated wearing my Blackhawks jersey and was even humming that Chelsea Dagger tune all that day but the more I thought about it the more I realized what exactly their motto ALL IN meant. I can't sit on the fence and like them one minute and hate them the next. What kind of fan is that anyway? I agree we should still go to the games for support. And while it is funny to hear roaring chants of "Lets go Titans" at the Sommet....I think the fans are getting the point across. At least there are 70 some games left to turn the score card around.

I think that we have been relying way too much on certain lines to do all the work and with this year having a team consist mainly of Predator kittens and some sophomores--there's a lot to be done and learned...not to mention some of the vets(*cough* Erat*cough* Leggy *cough*) who have failed to do anything productive...yeah Erat scored a goal...big deal..the only thing he can do at this point is sell T-shirts.... I think that this year is just a product of what we have been doing for far too long. Not using all the players to their potential so now they are like a rat in a maze trying to get their feet up underneath them.

There is also a severe lack of communication on the ice...it's too quiet. Nobody has Rinne or Ellis's back in the net...they are all at the puck instead of thinking outside the box a bit....playing ring around the rosey doesn't work in any sport.

I think Santorelli was sent back to the farm prematurely. Granted he didn't produce any real numbers but at least he was taking shots. Hey he did win it for us in game 1 and yet some of these vets have yet to produce anything.....

I don't think we need to lose faith in them yet. Historically this town has had either a great football or great hockey team...never both at once and seeing how the Titans are pretty much out of any running for anything this year, let's have some faith.

Give the players some faith....and remind them that they need to play with heart instead of just going through the motions...We all have said our peace....so I don't think any more booing of the goal tenders, cheering for the titans or making harsh remarks about putting in a not so hot QB in goal, is required...The team knows the fans are upset.....now it's time to lift them up....let them know we still believe....after all it does stay with you right?

Wantsumcheezwyrwine is offline   Reply With Quote