HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Hallo! My name is Inigo Montoya, you swept my father, prepare to die

Old
10-15-2009, 11:19 AM
caniac247

vCash: 500
My 2 cents for what its worth:

This 1 point seems more deserved than the 4 we got with Tampa/Florida. With Tampa, Cam stole the 2 points himself. With Florida, Vokoun couldn't stop a beachball. I thought last night was the best game we've played out of the 6. Has me a bit more confidant in this team and that we are moving in the right direction. Hopefully with this road trip coming up, we can start getting back to our game.

It was nice to see the guys battle back and dig deep. It looked a bit worrisome after they contained play and then one bad pinch led to a 2-on-1 and goal for Pittsburgh. We seemed to go in that shell, but it was good to see the guys battle back. Which also has me thinking we are headed in the right direction.

Cam's save not only on Guerin but Malkin in OT were fantastic.

Ruutu's hit on Letang was awesome (its just a shame Rupp's goal took all the air out)

As for the shootout, I despise them, but I feel much better going into the shootout this year than in years past. Reason is b/c we have guys that can actually score (Samsonov, Ruutu, and Jokinen) have all scored. Cullen was a mere 1/2 inch from scoring, he had Fleury beat by a mile. No one is going to go 100% in the shootout, so its actually nice to see that we do have guys that found the back of the net. And Cam has gotten much better in shootouts.

Of course this game means jack if the guys don't build off it. It should have been a bit of a confidence boost and they should feel good about where they are headed.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 12:04 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

And Eric Staal showed why he belongs nowhere near a shootout. I'm glad Maurice realized that. I was sick of Lavi throwing him out almost every time and having him come up short. Brind'Amour too

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 12:07 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
They should had let Chad Larose to shoot. I am serious.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 12:38 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
Yep, Chad actually has some pretty good moves and has shown that a few times. I think it was a penalty shot against Boston a couple years back where he flat out made Thomas look foolish against him.

Joni has some pretty good moves too... once he's healthy again that is.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 12:51 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
I'm still waiting to see him on the PP. I mean he honestly can't do any worse than what we are putting out there now.

Old
10-15-2009, 01:11 PM
caniacgirl12

Send a message via AIM to caniacgirl12 Send a message via MSN to caniacgirl12
Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
I'm still waiting to see him on the PP. I mean he honestly can't do any worse than what we are putting out there now.
He is the secret weapon, they are waiting to use him until absolutely necessary.

Or something.

10-15-2009, 02:23 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
Oh yes he can. You want your boys on the PP to be good at stickhandling and have a good shot. LaRose is horrid in both categories, and has the added bonus of not being able to stand upright on his skates.

The boy has one thing going for him - hustle - and you just don't need a whole lot of that on the PP.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 02:38 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
Oh yes he can. You want your boys on the PP to be good at stickhandling and have a good shot. LaRose is horrid in both categories, and has the added bonus of not being able to stand upright on his skates.

The boy has one thing going for him - hustle - and you just don't need a whole lot of that on the PP.
Yeah we do. When we continue to dump the puck in, we need someone to hustle after it.

And Cole and Ruutu both have a hard time staying upright on their skates as well

Oh and during the lock out he led Lowell in PP goals with 10. I know it was the AHL, but it was pretty full of NHL players.

Old
10-15-2009, 03:13 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Our PP is 27th in the league, mise well try something different. Can't really make us much worse.

Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Sad King Jimmy
That's hockey baby!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Yep, Chad actually has some pretty good moves and has shown that a few times. I think it was a penalty shot against Boston a couple years back where he flat out made Thomas look foolish against him.

Joni has some pretty good moves too... once he's healthy again that is.
Found it

And another beauty of a shot against Luongo, just mute it before you watch

I don't know how effective he would be on the powerplay, but it's not effective at all now, so it can't hurt, right?

Sad King Jimmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sam View Post
And Eric Staal showed why he belongs nowhere near a shootout. I'm glad Maurice realized that. I was sick of Lavi throwing him out almost every time and having him come up short. Brind'Amour too
Staal treats the shootout like nothing he does in it will matter anyway. If he scores, good, if not, Ward better stop the next shot.

Staal's got the moves. He's got a ridiculous penalty shot percentage, so it's not like he can't score on a breakaway *coughColecough*

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 05:12 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Staal has too much faith in his wrist shot. Even during games. If he would bury his head and take the puck to the net and throw a few dekes then he would probably score a lot more goals. His problem in the shootout is that everybody knows he's going to shoot. If he faked and went to the backhand once he'd have a free goal.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 05:14 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Maybe if we use Staal on point? I'm waiting for this too long honestly. And yes, we can use Chad on powerplay. See others team, much worse players than Chad plays on powerplay. It's not big deal, almost everyone can play on PP.

Whitney- Ruutu- Larose/Cole/Samsonov
Staal- Corvo

Jokinen- Brindy- Samsonov/Cole/Larose
Pitkanen- Cullen

I know it's not going to happen but i just tries to think some effective options on this goddamnit awful pp.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 05:31 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
Maybe if we use Staal on point? I'm waiting for this too long honestly. And yes, we can use Chad on powerplay. See others team, much worse players than Chad plays on powerplay. It's not big deal, almost everyone can play on PP.

Whitney- Ruutu- Larose/Cole/Samsonov
Staal- Corvo

Jokinen- Brindy- Samsonov/Cole/Larose
Pitkanen- Cullen

I know it's not going to happen but i just tries to think some effective options on this goddamnit awful pp.
We used Staal on the point in 05-06, 'nuff said.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Staal has too much faith in his wrist shot. Even during games. If he would bury his head and take the puck to the net and throw a few dekes then he would probably score a lot more goals. His problem in the shootout is that everybody knows he's going to shoot. If he faked and went to the backhand once he'd have a free goal.
yeah thats what i was thinking in this shootout. staal really disappointed me. i figured he would really try to win the game. but instead, he looked non-chalant...not a care in the world, as you said Vagrant. it was really disappointing.

on another note....that 3rd period looked awesome. talk about puck possession, talk about puck control. made me very hopeful for this team

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote