HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Young D-man for a veteran.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-17-2009, 02:03 PM
  #1
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 11,727
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Young D-man for a veteran.

With the injury to Ryan Parent and the apparent incompetence of Syvret/OKT, do you think it would be a good idea to trade one or some of the Flyers young D-men for a veteran player? The flyers Defense is pretty stacked as far as youth goes. Would trading a guy like Syvret (who many or may not have much value), Marshall, Ratchuk, Bartulis, etc. for a Solid veteran guy be worth it? I wouldn't mind it as long it is some one good. According to hockeybuzz, the Habs and Sens are going after Dan Haimus and Jordan Leopold, respectively. So how about something like this...

Flyers young D-man
Carcillo/Cote/Asham

for

Haimus or Leopold (or another solid veteran D-man)

maybe throw in a draft pick if that doesn't do it.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 02:09 PM
  #2
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,762
vCash: 500
how about Coburn + for Volchenko?

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 02:38 PM
  #3
Wolfy
Registered User
 
Wolfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 2,724
vCash: 500


How many D do you need?

Tollefsen, who is a NHL veteran, has only played 12 minutes in two games. But the main reason for that is the knee surgery, it requires a careful approach, and this was part of the plan when Homer signed him. He'll play more and more later and move into 6th when he's 100%.

Syvret is doing just fine for a rookie.

These two will rotate depending on the opponent, as mentioned several times. It looks like they will be paired up for the next couple of games when Parent is out, but that worked well during preseason.

Forget it.

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 03:06 PM
  #4
Lab Monkey
Registered User
 
Lab Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
how about Coburn + for Volchenko?
if we could get Volchenkov signed for 4mil or under for 3-4 years id be totally game for this. I like Coburn but I LOVE Volchenkov's game

Lab Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 03:17 PM
  #5
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
What would have been smart would be to waive Jones 3 months ago and sign a veteran d-man.

I mean, we actually do have the space with Jones gone, but now it's too late.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 03:26 PM
  #6
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 13,283
vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post


How many D do you need?

Tollefsen, who is a NHL veteran, has only played 12 minutes in two games. But the main reason for that is the knee surgery, it requires a careful approach, and this was part of the plan when Homer signed him. He'll play more and more later and move into 6th when he's 100%.

Syvret is doing just fine for a rookie.

These two will rotate depending on the opponent, as mentioned several times. It looks like they will be paired up for the next couple of games when Parent is out, but that worked well during preseason.

Forget it.
While I don't support the move suggested by the OP, the Flyers definitely have a problem if Parent is out for more than the 10 days initially reported.

Tollefsen is a borderline 6th defensemen. Syvret's hardly a rookie; this is his 4th season getting time in NHL games. Those two should be fighting or the 6th spot. They shouldn't be paired together for any long stretch of time, else Pronger and Timonen will be seeing 30+ minute games and that will kill the Flyers in the long run.

However close you are to OKT shouldn't cloud the fact that there won't be many games where he is relied on to play more than 10 minutes.

With Parent out and Coburn playing with the confidence of a 3rd string quarterback, the 'solid Flyers defense core' everyone was so happy about looks mediocre at best.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 03:35 PM
  #7
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89
 
JDinklage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 10,450
vCash: 500
Maybe you could sign Chelios to a deal if you want vets.

JDinklage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 03:38 PM
  #8
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 11,727
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
While I don't support the move suggested by the OP, the Flyers definitely have a problem if Parent is out for more than the 10 days initially reported.

Tollefsen is a borderline 6th defensemen. Syvret's hardly a rookie; this is his 4th season getting time in NHL games. Those two should be fighting or the 6th spot. They shouldn't be paired together for any long stretch of time, else Pronger and Timonen will be seeing 30+ minute games and that will kill the Flyers in the long run.

However close you are to OKT shouldn't cloud the fact that there won't be many games where he is relied on to play more than 10 minutes.

With Parent out and Coburn playing with the confidence of a 3rd string quarterback, the 'solid Flyers defense core' everyone was so happy about looks mediocre at best.
That's what I'm saying. If Parent is out for an extending period I do not want to see Syvret and OKT as the third pair on a nightly basis. For the time being it will have to do, but I think either of them are, at best, a 6th defenseman, and only one should be playing at a time. Having a solid veteran D-man on the point playing with one of them for the time being and then with Parent when he gets healthy would be a much better scenario than we have now.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 03:56 PM
  #9
Wolfy
Registered User
 
Wolfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 2,724
vCash: 500
You can't just go shop a new player because of an injury.

I can't understand what your problem is with OKT, give him time to get back to his game. He's bothered with a sore knee, and that will affect his play as well. When he's 100% he'll play 10-15 minutes a game which is perfectly normal for a 6th, and something he did for four years as a Jacket before the injury.

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 04:01 PM
  #10
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 14,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
You can't just go shop a new player because of an injury.

I can't understand what your problem is with OKT, give him time to get back to his game. He's bothered with a sore knee, and that will affect his play as well. When he's 100% he'll play 10-15 minutes a game which is perfectly normal for a 6th, and something he did for four years as a Jacket before the injury.
But see its always injury injury injury with him. As jackets fans have said and what we have all seen, he is a borderline 6th defenseman. Personally, I dont think its great to harbor an injury prone player.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 04:03 PM
  #11
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
how about Coburn + for Volchenko?
I do not think Sens will trade him.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 04:06 PM
  #12
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 11,727
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
You can't just go shop a new player because of an injury.

I can't understand what your problem is with OKT, give him time to get back to his game. He's bothered with a sore knee, and that will affect his play as well. When he's 100% he'll play 10-15 minutes a game which is perfectly normal for a 6th, and something he did for four years as a Jacket before the injury.
A) You can go shop a new player because of an injury. It is what teams do. I am not saying if Parent is out for a week to find someone else, but if he is gonna be out a month, then yes, find someone else because OKT and Syvret are not a defensive pairing that will help this team.

B) OKT is an alright defenseman and so is Syvret. But they are just alright. If the injury bug bites (which it will even if Parent is back for the next game) having one of them as a backup is ok, but having them as the starters is not. When Parent is healthy it is ok to have one of them in playing on that third pairing, but I would rather have a better guy out there with Parent and OKT as the 7th guy and send Syvret back to the A. I think the Flyers have a deep enough system with young defensemen that they can afford to trade one of them now for another D-man to play with Parent (or for him while he is injured).

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 04:08 PM
  #13
bodangleroo28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 412
vCash: 500
I cant imagine anyone saying no to the op's proposal.

bodangleroo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 04:18 PM
  #14
Wolfy
Registered User
 
Wolfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 2,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
But see its always injury injury injury with him. As jackets fans have said and what we have all seen, he is a borderline 6th defenseman. Personally, I dont think its great to harbor an injury prone player.
Yes it's that old knee injury which isn't healed properly yet. And it would be hard even for Pronger to show NHL quality with a bad knee..

But his style of play also includes a high risk of injury, he's been asked many times why he doesn't change his style to take better care of his body, but he says no way, that's his trademark. And Homer was fully aware of this when he signed him, but didn't look at it as a problem. Because it's a long term injury, but not a career ending one.

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 04:18 PM
  #15
mypunkrock
Registered User
 
mypunkrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,363
vCash: 500
I'd rather Syvret get more than 8 minutes a night. He should be in shape, lay some responsibility on him and see how he responds.

Somebody needs to light a fire under Coburn's rear.

Do that, and I think we'd be on the right path.

Regards,
Rick

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 04:30 PM
  #16
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW
 
ShawnTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 8,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
how about Coburn + for Volchenko?
A Russian player on THIS Flyers team.


In your dreams and especially mine.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 04:33 PM
  #17
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
So I was out for a friends birthday yesterday and got entirely too drunk. Sadly, I didn't get to see the game. What happened with Parent?

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 04:40 PM
  #18
mypunkrock
Registered User
 
mypunkrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,363
vCash: 500
Pulled groin.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 04:42 PM
  #19
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
So I was out for a friends birthday yesterday and got entirely too drunk. Sadly, I didn't get to see the game. What happened with Parent?
Not sure. He just played a couple minutes in the first period and then left during the intermission. They just said it's a lower body injury.

Sens won't trade Volchenkov. Although I would love it if they did.

I'd be willing to trade Coburn (he's been going downhill for two years and has been extremely horrible this year) if we get a d-man who's a sure-thing. Tollefsen, Ratchuk, Cote, and Powe are all very expendable. Briere normally would be, but we need him this year.

I could very easily see us getting a good 3rd pairing guy for some combination of Tollefsen, Cote, Powe, and Ratchuk. Getting a good 2nd pairing guy in return for Coburn would be hard though.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 05:01 PM
  #20
Wolfy
Registered User
 
Wolfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 2,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
OKT is an alright defenseman and so is Syvret. But they are just alright. If the injury bug bites (which it will even if Parent is back for the next game) having one of them as a backup is ok, but having them as the starters is not. When Parent is healthy it is ok to have one of them in playing on that third pairing, but I would rather have a better guy out there with Parent and OKT as the 7th guy and send Syvret back to the A. I think the Flyers have a deep enough system with young defensemen that they can afford to trade one of them now for another D-man to play with Parent (or for him while he is injured).
OKT is here to replace Jones, that's still the plan, and he isn't going anywhere soon. Allow him to play a series of games before you start all this whining.

In fact, I think he'll sign another three years with the Flyers when this season is over

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 05:09 PM
  #21
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 16,616
vCash: 500
After looking at the Phantoms' number of d-men available I think we should definitely make a trade. 9 d-men? Come on. Between Tollefsen, Jones, Powe, Ratchuk, Curry, Cote, and maybe even Coburn a good trade could be worked out.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 05:11 PM
  #22
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 14,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
OKT is here to replace Jones, that's still the plan, and he isn't going anywhere soon. Allow him to play a series of games before you start all this whining.

In fact, I think he'll sign another three years with the Flyers when this season is over
Meh I doubt it. If everything goes according to plan, we will have one or maybe 2 of Marshall/Bourden/Lehvotri (spelling?)make the team.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 05:14 PM
  #23
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...
 
Ex Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
No roster changes will fix this team. You could steal Crosby and Lidstrom and they'd still find ways to lose.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 05:16 PM
  #24
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 13,283
vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
No roster changes will fix this team. You could steal Crosby and Lidstrom and they'd still find ways to lose.


I'm glad your optimism never wavers.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 05:20 PM
  #25
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...
 
Ex Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post


I'm glad your optimism never wavers.
At least I'm consistent.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.