Notices

Long, cold season?

Old
10-16-2009, 09:47 PM
ceber

vCash: 500
Long, cold season?

Prediction thread...

I see us 25th overall. Assuming we stop playing pond hockey defense eventually, that is.

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 11:22 PM
Red Alberks

That's a fair prediction. Right now we are icing an AHL team, so we could be stuck at the bottom for a while.

Even when we get our guys back from injury we are still going to struggle because we aren't very deep and we are still adjusting to the new system.

Red Alberks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 04:56 AM
djp4516

This team is fricking awful right now. We actually played a "good game" and still lost 5-2.

Last edited by djp4516: 01-10-2010 at 10:33 AM.
djp4516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 12:16 PM
a79krgm

Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
I don't understand our "new" style or how it's supposed to win games. If I had to give it a name I would call it the "Burns out out of position" style. I noticed how effective it was the other night when Burns chased O'Sullivan behind the net and then watched him slide the biscuit back over to a uncovered Penner for a easy goal.

LAW #2/C: When you follow a guy behind the net he will always come out the other side ahead of you. This law also applies to my two dogs when they chase each other around a big tree.

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 12:25 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
I am not impressed at all right now. I expected some failure, but this has become unbearable to even watch. They need to figure out something and get it in gear because they are playing like complete dog turd.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 02:28 PM
ceber

_prediction thread_

cmon folks, put a number out there.

Old
10-17-2009, 02:53 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber View Post
_prediction thread_

If I had to put a number out there, I'd say 26th Overall and we'll get the 3rd pick in the lottery draft.

Old
10-17-2009, 04:21 PM
aylib
User and abuser

Send a message via Yahoo to aylib
23rd overall. I figure Burns can't be this bad the entire season, and that alone should get us somewhere.

Looking forward to a cringe-free draft day (not only because of a possible high pick, but no more squandering away picks and drafting pluggers.)

aylib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 04:25 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylib View Post
23rd overall. I figure Burns can't be this bad the entire season, and that alone should get us somewhere.

Looking forward to a cringe-free draft day (not only because of a possible high pick, but no more squandering away picks and drafting pluggers.)
And what if he is? As it stands now. Clutterbuck will probably be out until late next month and from what Russo had described from other players, high ankle sprains damper them throughout the season. Havlat already is cursed and Sykora has played like one game so far we might as well just bring up the rest of the Aeros and call it a day at this rate.

Old
10-17-2009, 05:17 PM
Chrisd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
And what if he is? As it stands now. Clutterbuck will probably be out until late next month and from what Russo had described from other players, high ankle sprains damper them throughout the season. Havlat already is cursed and Sykora has played like one game so far we might as well just bring up the rest of the Aeros and call it a day at this rate.

lose wild lose...

maybe we can draft a pure offensive player for the first time since gabby groin.

Like I say, Hall/Seguin/Kabanov.....get it done, get a wild sweater on. We need some excitement no more pmb's or sheppards or pouliots or gillies. Get a impact legit star

Chrisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 06:39 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisd View Post
lose wild lose...

maybe we can draft a pure offensive player for the first time since gabby groin.

Like I say, Hall/Seguin/Kabanov.....get it done, get a wild sweater on. We need some excitement no more pmb's or sheppards or pouliots or gillies. Get a impact legit star
It will help when we get a legit Lottery pick for once. Its just funny how many people are jumping off the wagon....

Old
10-17-2009, 06:46 PM
Chrisd

im sorry but this team is just bad at drafting offense...

you take pouliot...who put up pedestrian numbers for junior hockey, and always had work ethic questions, instead of a kopitar as well as a few other MUCH better options that went from 5-15 that year.

sheppard over a guy like Frolik and others that ended up much better...

Gillies who is still grinding and looks to be a career 4th liner or 3rd line mucker and you trade up for him, involving a 2nd rounder lol....what the hell. You could of had Cherepanov. Sure we know how he turned out, but you can't prediect death....he was an offensive force.

Then you take Cuma who looks to be a stay at home D man, no offense whatsoever...

then Leddy over Schroeder who is gonna be pure offense.

You can draft good offense without having top 3 picks, but we seem incapable of doing that, so im hoping by having a top 3 pick we will have one of these guys fall in our laps and even we can't screw it up.

Then again knowing the wild, we will have a Hall or Seguin in our laps and take a D man, even though our last 2 first rounders have been D man, and we have NO talented young forwards in our system.

It's the wild way!

Chrisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 07:30 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisd View Post
im sorry but this team is just bad at drafting offense...

you take pouliot...who put up pedestrian numbers for junior hockey, and always had work ethic questions, instead of a kopitar as well as a few other MUCH better options that went from 5-15 that year.

sheppard over a guy like Frolik and others that ended up much better...

Gillies who is still grinding and looks to be a career 4th liner or 3rd line mucker and you trade up for him, involving a 2nd rounder lol....what the hell. You could of had Cherepanov. Sure we know how he turned out, but you can't prediect death....he was an offensive force.

Then you take Cuma who looks to be a stay at home D man, no offense whatsoever...

then Leddy over Schroeder who is gonna be pure offense.

You can draft good offense without having top 3 picks, but we seem incapable of doing that, so im hoping by having a top 3 pick we will have one of these guys fall in our laps and even we can't screw it up.

Then again knowing the wild, we will have a Hall or Seguin in our laps and take a D man, even though our last 2 first rounders have been D man, and we have NO talented young forwards in our system.

It's the wild way!

And you're also forgetting that the Scouts have be realigned as well to find better assets out there. Not to mention, when DR wasn't trading away the 1st round pick, he was going for someone that had good numbers in minor league play or whatever JL was requesting they needed. Not to mention most of those drafts when Benny and others were taken, were not as strong as others. Remember when Koivu and Burns were drafted, those were deeper drafts. Since then, if you weren't in the lottery you basically were gambling.

You are right though, Leddy over Schroeder wasn't exactly something I was expecting. However, none of our dmen on the Wild outside of Burns and Schultz are really being overly considered to be on the team for a long time. We need to build up defense as well as offense. Part of doing that with Richards new system is to get offensive defensemen as well. From what I've heard, Leddy is that person. Guess it was also determined by Fletcher we were going to sign Koivu to play with his baby brother and that would of filled the 4 Centermen lines right there no questions asked. Not signing him put a kink in the mess because the lines had to be juggled. That may have possible reasons as to why Fletcher and Richards passed on signing another one.

Old
10-17-2009, 10:40 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

I was so excited for Wild fans because Derek Boogaard actually touched the puck tonight! I was going to log in and start a thread about it, but then he cost them a goal 15 seconds later.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 11:58 PM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie View Post
I was so excited for Wild fans because Derek Boogaard actually touched the puck tonight! I was going to log in and start a thread about it, but then he cost them a goal 15 seconds later.
If you want to troll, start a new thread. And come up with something decent instead of that half-assed attempt.

Old
10-18-2009, 06:14 PM
a79krgm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber View Post
_prediction thread_

Ok, then ... going out on a limb here, but I think the Wild can still win their division.
I say this because the NorthWest is weak. .. explaination ...

Vancouver should signs of last year of total collapse - which will happen this year. Calgary cannot win consistiently with meathead style hockey. Edmonton is the same small forward, weak blueline team of the last three years. .. And, Colorado is a suprise so far, but should fail down the stretch.

Old
10-18-2009, 06:24 PM
aylib
User and abuser

Send a message via Yahoo to aylib
So far the NW teams are 3rd, 5th, 11th, 21st and we are at 29. Even if Colorado and Calgary stumble, what assets are we going to use to sail past them?

aylib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 06:51 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylib View Post
So far the NW teams are 3rd, 5th, 11th, 21st and we are at 29. Even if Colorado and Calgary stumble, what assets are we going to use to sail past them?
Well considering we have so many gone now...I'd dare say not much

Old
10-19-2009, 01:29 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

I was going to make this post in the Kobasew thread but I'll put it here;

This organization is a mess. Top to bottom. A complete and utter mess. They have no idea what the hell they are doing whatsoever. They have no direction and no blueprint on building a team. They are spinning their wheels and simply getting no where.

It's time to buckle down and trade off everyone and anyone not named Mikko Koivu. Yes, Boogaard, Burns, Schultz, Backstrom (if we can find someone to take him and he's willing to go), Pouliot, Sheppard. A fire sale. If we're going to do this right, and build a team, scraping the bottom for a few years isn't going to hurt this team whatsoever.

The Kobasew trade is simply baffling. Not only do we give up a decent prospect in Fallstrom who had chemistry with Huala but also a 2nd round pick in 2011? I thought that Fletcher treated draft picks like gold.

It's a desperation move by a team and right now is not a time to panic. We knew this season was going to be rough. We knew that we were looking at a top 5 pick that we didn't get from the expansion draft or a lock out. And right now we are panicking. And it's disgusting. I thought we had move away from those desperation moves.

Kobasew does not address a single issue a prospect from the minors could have helped with. We have a few prospects that could have used the time up in the majors to help us; Madsen (who I think finally left, but oh well), Irmen, Gilles, Earl, Almond, McMillian, Kalus. Seriously. If we're going to be bad let the young kids develop. Don't make a pansy ass trade like this and mortgage our future because we suck.

This team is not going to win a Stanley Cup anytime soon if it doesn't figure out what they want to do and how to build it. I, for one, knew this season was going to be long, going to be rough, and I was excited that we were building in the right direction. And now Fletcher panics and trades two chips for a player we have a dozen already.

/sighs

It's simply disgusting.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 01:27 PM
a79krgm

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
I was going to make this post in the Kobasew thread but I'll put it here;

The Kobasew trade is simply baffling. Not only do we give up a decent prospect in Fallstrom who had chemistry with Huala but also a 2nd round pick in 2011? I thought that Fletcher treated draft picks like gold.

It's a desperation move by a team and right now is not a time to panic. We knew this season was going to be rough. We knew that we were looking at a top 5 pick that we didn't get from the expansion draft or a lock out. And right now we are panicking. And it's disgusting. I thought we had move away from those desperation moves. It's simply disgusting.
I don't like the the premise of giving away the future in desperate times. But, I have confidence in Fletch. If the team plays this bad in February then you will see some deals where we get the prospects that we need.

Old
10-19-2009, 02:26 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

I'm not so sure Fletcher gave up all that much. A pick not in next year's draft, but the year after that, a prospect picked in the fourth round, and Craig Weller. That won't hurt that much in exchange for a guy who is fast, tough as nails, a relentless forechecker, and unlike Marian Gaborik, will play hurt. Will Kobasew save the season? Probably not but I think this was a move with the idea of taking a team with no energy and insert a sparkplug into the lineup.

The only downside is that I didn't realize the Wild are so close to the cap they had to put PMB on the LTIR to make this work. It's going to take Fletcher a while to clean up the mess Risebrough made, that's for sure. A whole lot of salary comes off the books after this season though.

Last edited by Av-merican: 10-19-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 03:49 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a79krgm View Post
I don't like the the premise of giving away the future in desperate times. But, I have confidence in Fletch. If the team plays this bad in February then you will see some deals where we get the prospects that we need.
In February? I don't want to wait that damn long. We knew this season was going to be bad. So why don't we take it to develop.

Old
10-19-2009, 04:35 PM
WILDTATE10

Taylor Hall or Tyler Seguin will look good in a Wild uniform

WILDTATE10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 08:00 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
In February? I don't want to wait that damn long. We knew this season was going to be bad. So why don't we take it to develop.
Why would you NOT want to wait to see what happens? If we pull it out of our ***** and we end up getting the stock up on players, we will get a better return than what we would now. Plus, playoff teams don't know what they need yet so making proposals to teams like Chicago, Detroit, and others are simply going to be them trying to dump off cap room....which we can't help them with.

The season is a rebuilding year....yet you want to implode everything like the Isles did? Ya, that is REAL good for a team to compete even next year. Do you plan on fielding all prospects and pray we draft well next year or what? Just like your firesale thread in the Trade/Rumors/Proposals area. Trading Burns? Sure at this point I would mind seeing what offers were actually out there for him as pissed as I am to say that. But trading Koivu, Backstrom, Clutterbuck, Havlat is borderline trolling, even if you are a Wild fan. This team needs a core of players.

Old
10-19-2009, 11:56 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
The season is a rebuilding year....yet you want to implode everything like the Isles did? Ya, that is REAL good for a team to compete even next year. Do you plan on fielding all prospects and pray we draft well next year or what? Just like your firesale thread in the Trade/Rumors/Proposals area. Trading Burns? Sure at this point I would mind seeing what offers were actually out there for him as pissed as I am to say that. But trading Koivu, Backstrom, Clutterbuck, Havlat is borderline trolling, even if you are a Wild fan. This team needs a core of players.

Backstrom is a core player? If we do this rebuild right, he could be nearing the end of his contract, playing time by the time we are ready to compete.

We want to compete next year? Why? We have absolutely no prospects and no players in our system. We have no franchise player we can market nor any game changers in the system.

A fire sale might not be bad for this team. We have a few prospects (Sheppard) that are left over from DR's time. If we want to change the mentality of this team, we have to do it right and that means letting players like Sheppard find new teams.