HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Enough is enough, give Kostitsyn more ice time!

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2004, 11:30 AM
x-bob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bruins19
Exactly. You don't want Kostitsyn to become like Kovalev(A goal scorer who plays lazily and is a liability defensively.)
exactly...and I'm being serious. If Kostisyn becomes like Kovalev then we failed to developpe him.

Old
11-28-2004, 11:32 AM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob
no one wants a player that can't play defence. Maybe Kost could score goals but that's all he would be able to do. He's still developping and at this moment he is developing his defensive play. We don't want a one dementional player, we want a complete player.
Well, Dackell, Juneau and Sundstrom are one dimentional players.....What wrong in having a one dimentional player in the offensive zone? You mean to tell me that you would not want to have Nash or Kovalchuk on your team because once in a while, they forget to dump the puck? Come on.

Higgins, Pleks, Milroy and Chip will be our 2-way forwards in the future. I think it is ok to teach them defense first because I dont think they will score 30-40 goals anyway. But could we please leave Perez and Kats alone. Let the kids score 30-40-50 goals in the AHL.

Old
11-28-2004, 12:26 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
exactly...and I'm being serious. If Kostisyn becomes like Kovalev then we failed to developpe him.
ouch what a terrible comment! WTF are you saying?

Old
11-28-2004, 01:10 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
It's hard to know much about the personality of players from the bits and pieces we see on TV or read in newspapers, but I sort of have the vague recollection that Kovalev was known to be a bit flashy/cocky/free-spirited even when he was a young prospect. Meanwhile, from what I see so far, Kostitsyn seems more reserved/humble/eager-to-please.

So it doesn't seem to me, from the armchair of sports psychology, that Kostitsyn is very likely to become like Kovalev. Kovalev, after all, is a really sharp guy, and he knows how to play defense and how to play any system he wants to... it's the "wants to" that is key for him. Kostitsyn seems (so far) to be much more malleable. IMO, he's more likely to just get bogged down and quietly and humbly not fulfill his offensive potential, whilst trying relentlessly to fit in. Just a throwaway impression for the sake of discussion.

Old
11-28-2004, 01:32 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

That doesn't really matters... Kovalev is a star player in this league. We would be really lucky if ever Kosty turns out to be that good.

Old
11-28-2004, 01:56 PM
bopeep

I'm not worried about Kostitsyn and Chipchura - they'll be the faces that we cheer for in Habs uniforms for years to come. Subsequent choices is where I begin to get concerned.

Old
11-28-2004, 03:17 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Latulippe
Good post. Look at the one from Mark0v.

I dont want Kats to loose his offensive skills because a bouffon in the AHL wanted him to try low risk plays iso creating something.
You know for all our talk on the issue, the Kost. I see has a ways to go as a hockey player. No one has said that he can't play more until he learns to play in his own end. He has come from situations where he was the team so he hasn't learned to play with teammates. I don't see that his game is that developed offensively right now and I assume things are being worked on. His icetime will go up as he responds to what is being taught. All this talk of stifling his offense is just that, talk. Jarvis has played hockey at a high level and coached and taught at a high level and was always considered a bright man. If you're trusted on the ice with a minute to go and a 1 goal lead on the late 70's Habs, your hockey mind isn't lacking. I suspect that when he stops trying to beat 5 men and lets the puck work for him, he'll play more. Once he learns to use his linemates and get open, he'll produce. For all our talk, who in the org. has referred to defensive shortcomings ? Jarvis doesn't want to develop another Dackell, he wants to teach solid work habits to avoid developing another Daigle.

Old
11-28-2004, 08:48 PM
Nyclaus

All I have to say on the suject is wait A YEAR before you cry wolf!

Old
11-29-2004, 07:28 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyclaus
All I have to say on the suject is wait A YEAR before you cry wolf!
If I followed your advice I'd have dead goats on my hands.

Old
11-29-2004, 08:24 AM
Nyclaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
If I followed your advice I'd have dead goats on my hands.
What...? Has the topic switch to goats again? Shame on you mcphee.

Closed Thread