Notices

Ovechkin better than Lehts?

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2004, 08:08 PM
bruins4777*

vCash: 500
Ovechkin better than Lehts?

Why put ovechkin better than lehts cause of his "potential" What the heck? Whens the last time you saw a goaltending package with as much potential as lehts. I can't think of any prospect better than him. He has the potential to be better than brodeur, which speaks volumes alone.

Ovechkin has potential at both ends of the ice sure and started playign in the russian super league at 17 woohoo. Thats great. Has he ever been NEARLY as clutch as lehts in the finnish leagues? Has he ever dominated at the age of 17 no way.

Goaltending is the most important position in hockey. A goaltender alone can carry a playoff series out and make the series close. A goaltender can carry the worst team in the league into the playoffs. Lehts has done this, lehts has stolen series in the AHL and in the elite leagues. And he is what? 20, 21? Any other goaltender in the milwaukee vs. chicago series last year would have had the games be something like 10-2, 9-0, 7-1, 6-3 for a sweep. Its total bs.

Ovechkin is all potential, sure he is already showing how great he is, but he has NEVER dominated the way lehts has.

Last edited by bruins4777*: 11-17-2004 at 11:10 PM.
Old
11-17-2004, 08:13 PM
coyoteshockeyfan

Id say its hard to compare a goalie to a skater. Lists like HF's for instance should probably have two catergories in my opinion.

Old
11-17-2004, 09:02 PM
Amen evil king
Amen, Evil King

Lehtonen has had the better career thus far, but HF putting Ovechkin ahead of him is more about what they each will become rather than what they've each achieved thus far.

Old
11-17-2004, 10:27 PM
bruins4777*

Maybe i'm biased, but i think lehts will become more of a factor than Ovechkin. As impressive as ovechkin is, i don't think he'll be any kind of "game changing" guy. He'll probably be a dominant franchise player, but i think lehts will as well. And when comparing forwards/dmen to goalies. If they are on the same level of dominance then the goalie wins out in my book since they are more important.

Old
11-17-2004, 11:06 PM
Kaiped Krusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins4777
Ok this pissed me off.
It's fun to debate this stuff but if it gets to the point where it pisses you off, then maybe you're taking it all a little too seriously.

Old
11-17-2004, 11:10 PM
bruins4777*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiped Krusader
It's fun to debate this stuff but if it gets to the point where it pisses you off, then maybe you're taking it all a little too seriously.
I'm not flaming angry or anything, its just something i felt was wrong. Maybe poor choice of words?

Old
11-18-2004, 12:21 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
I would have put AO over Lehts myself. Just an outside opinion.

Either way, you guys should be happy. You have the #2 prospect in the league and already have Heatley and Kovalchuk. I would be smiling.

Old
11-18-2004, 12:27 AM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Yea, be happy. We don't even have a single guy on that list.

Old
11-18-2004, 12:57 AM
Russian_fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuzzi21
Yea, be happy. We don't even have a single guy on that list.
We all know Kesler is the number 1 prospect in the world... Koltsov second best!

Old
11-18-2004, 08:43 AM
Raimo Sillanpää

I'd say theres too much hype around Ovechkin, without having proved anything in North America or in a major tournament thus far.
Last WJC's he wasn't at his best, World Championships he was out of his depth, World Cup, he played what? 2 games?

Besides, 12 months from now Crosby will be #1 on that list *shrug*, too much hype surrounding the top few choices right now to make a balanced choice

Old
11-18-2004, 10:36 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimo Sillanpää
I'd say theres too much hype around Ovechkin, without having proved anything in North America or in a major tournament thus far.
Last WJC's he wasn't at his best, World Championships he was out of his depth, World Cup, he played what? 2 games?

Besides, 12 months from now Crosby will be #1 on that list *shrug*, too much hype surrounding the top few choices right now to make a balanced choice
In the World Cup, I know Ovechkin played very well for Russia.

Old
11-18-2004, 01:24 PM
Greek_physique
Caron..Jordan Caron!

vCash: 50
This one IMO, is to hard to determine at this stage of there career.

It is a lot easier to make it as a forward in the NHL, then a goaltender...especially under the age of 20. That being said, Ovechkin has some serious talent, but Lehtonen proved a lot to me watchin him play for Finland in the Jr. tourney's over the years.

Finding a goalie like Lehtonen is tough, so personally I'd rather have a franchise goalie over a frachise forward

Old
11-18-2004, 02:54 PM
Captain Conservative

Quote:
Why put ovechkin better than lehts cause of his "potential" What the heck? Whens the last time you saw a goaltending package with as much potential as lehts. I can't think of any prospect better than him. He has the potential to be better than brodeur, which speaks volumes alone.

Ovechkin has potential at both ends of the ice sure and started playign in the russian super league at 17 woohoo. Thats great. Has he ever been NEARLY as clutch as lehts in the finnish leagues? Has he ever dominated at the age of 17 no way.

Goaltending is the most important position in hockey. A goaltender alone can carry a playoff series out and make the series close. A goaltender can carry the worst team in the league into the playoffs. Lehts has done this, lehts has stolen series in the AHL and in the elite leagues. And he is what? 20, 21? Any other goaltender in the milwaukee vs. chicago series last year would have had the games be something like 10-2, 9-0, 7-1, 6-3 for a sweep. Its total bs.

Ovechkin is all potential, sure he is already showing how great he is, but he has NEVER dominated the way lehts has.
Well, no, Ovy has never played in Finland, so I doubt he has ever been clutch in Finland. Ovy is NOT all potential. Even he if stopped developing right now, I think he would make a very solid 1st line winger. He is also dominating the RSL this year and was voted the best LW in the entire RSL last year.

Stop whining about things you know nothing about.

Old
11-19-2004, 02:34 PM
bruins4777*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Conservative
Well, no, Ovy has never played in Finland, so I doubt he has ever been clutch in Finland. Ovy is NOT all potential. Even he if stopped developing right now, I think he would make a very solid 1st line winger. He is also dominating the RSL this year and was voted the best LW in the entire RSL last year.

Lehts dominated and was MVP of the playoffs with his finnish league as well. Both are elite leagues and Lehts had dominated his at a much higher level than ovy.

Old
11-19-2004, 03:51 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Lehts dominated and was MVP of the playoffs with his finnish league as well. Both are elite leagues and Lehts had dominated his at a much higher level than ovy.

RSL is a better league than the Finnish league.

Old
11-19-2004, 04:18 PM
allelsefails

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bruins19
I agree.

If I had a choice between Ovechkin and Lehtonen, I'd take Ovechkin hands down. Not that Lehtonen is anything to cough at, he will be a really good tender and I would take him over just about anyone else on the list.

Ovechkin has so many good things going for him, success in the RSL is nothing at all to take lightly.

Old
11-19-2004, 04:45 PM
Mothra

Quote:
RSL is the better league.....and AO was named best player at his position before he was drafted.....just what else did he need to do? I dont know how you can say this...

" Lehts had dominated his at a much higher level than ovy"

Old
11-19-2004, 04:47 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Maybe i'm biased, but i think lehts will become more of a factor than Ovechkin. As impressive as ovechkin is, i don't think he'll be any kind of "game changing" guy. He'll probably be a dominant franchise player, but i think lehts will as well. And when comparing forwards/dmen to goalies. If they are on the same level of dominance then the goalie wins out in my book since they are more important.
What am I missing...you say AO will be a "dominant franchise player" but he wont be "any kind of game changing guy"

that doesnt make sense to me

Old
11-23-2004, 11:49 PM
BuppY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra
What am I missing...you say AO will be a "dominant franchise player" but he wont be "any kind of game changing guy"

Old
11-27-2004, 09:52 PM
bruins4777*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra

when i say game changing i mean "orr like" or "roy like". You know?

Dominant franchiser means something like nazzy, floppa or thornton. Incredible talents, but they aren't the truly dominant players of all time at their peak. You know what i mean?

Old
11-28-2004, 02:14 AM
cws
...in the drink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Conservative

On a message board, fans like us comparing different players in different positions is akin to comparing apples and orange to a vegetable expert. That may not make too much sense, but that's at least part of the point. We don't really know what we're talking about most of the the time, a good bit of our info on "scouting" issues comes from an anatomical region just above our legs.

Old
11-29-2004, 03:03 AM
Taze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bruins19
[Offtopic]Based on what?[/Offtopic]

Old
11-29-2004, 09:24 AM
Shameus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw7
On a message board, fans like us comparing different players in different positions is akin to comparing apples and orange to a vegetable expert. That may not make too much sense, but that's at least part of the point. We don't really know what we're talking about most of the the time, a good bit of our info on "scouting" issues comes from an anatomical region just above our legs.

I agree. I think it should come down to which position does your team need a player of that caliber. If it is both, then you have a tough choice on your hand. As Atlanta already has two great forwards in Heater and Kovy, then Lehtonen is the obvious choice for Atlanta. Now if the choice is Ovechkin vs. Heater of Kovy, I'll take Heater of Kovy in a heart beat over Ovechkin. Now we're talk'n apples vs. apples.

Old
11-29-2004, 12:05 PM
Iceman23

Letty > Ovechkin. Forwards don't dominate the game like they use to. Come playoff time you want a franchise goalie more than a franchise forward.

Closed Thread