HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Flu v. Kings 10/17/09

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2009, 11:43 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
I almost called him Fluloaf in the GDT but thought that was too lame.
That would have been lame.

So, did you rub your eyes too and wonder if it was 2003 and that was Andy Murray behind the bench tonight?

Old
10-17-2009, 11:54 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
So many depressed Kings fans in this thread.

Cheers boys, we have only just begun. . . . .

Old
10-17-2009, 11:56 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
I've noticed that, too. The only remotely plausible conclusion I could come up with is that we're on the road and Murray isn't getting the match ups he wants.
That a key part of it, and one of the reasons why folks say to try to go .500 on the road and win more than that at home. They still have a chance to go .500 on Monday and if they do, it'll be a decent enough road trip. I expected them to go .500 on this trip - it's how they've been losing these games that bothers me. They're beating themselves.

Special teams are the other key part. We've been fine for the most part 5 on 5... special teams are losing these games for us. That has to turn around.

Let's hope they get the W on Monday and turn this into a respectable 3-3 road trip. Our schedule, for a change, is rough early... it gets more favorable as the season wears on.

- T

Old
10-18-2009, 12:05 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
I've noticed that, too. The only remotely plausible conclusion I could come up with is that we're on the road and Murray isn't getting the match ups he wants. But I'm really getting sick of watching our first line attempt to grind it out when trailing by a goal in the third period. Kopitar is a world class playmaker, goalscorer, you name it. He's breaking out this year for a reason. For ****'s sake let him make a play. Enough of the dump and chase **** when we're trailing. It's GREAT to protect a lead - dump, chase, cycle, wear the opposition down. I get it. But you have to turn your best players loose when you need a goal. Everyone talks about going out and signing "the guy" - the gamebreaking Kovalchuk or Heatley or whoever that can score a goal when we need it.

New flash: we have that guy. We have a gamebreaker. His name is Anze Kopitar. CUT. HIM. LOOSE.
Spoken for truth.

So frustrating to watch. Look at the goals they scored with the 4 wins. Look at why the opposing team got back into the game after the Kings took the lead. It's akin to two different teams wearing the same jersey in the same game.

And I also noticed that Jim Fox has in the past 3 games in a VERY subtle way mentioned how the Kings need to start "taking chances" and he has said it when they have fallen behind and then emphasized it with even more subtle statements about how the Kings are not controlling the puck in the offensive zone. I don't believe Murray will change his style. He is a one trick pony, like Andy. Some of us knew that when he was named coach and we cringed accordingly. What I hope and believe is possible (perhaps I am on drugs) is that the players will take it upon themselves to play a better puck possession game. I am nuts...I know...

Old
10-18-2009, 12:07 AM
northernKing

Why isn't Williams being demoted to 3rd line? IMO DL has something to do with that.
We need a playmaking center for the 2nd line between Frolov and Brown. Move Purcell to 1st line

Old
10-18-2009, 12:20 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

4 Kings sick? Check that... make it 7.

"(on whether he had to manage the minutes of the sick players…)

MURRAY: “Yeah, lots of them. We’ve probably got seven, eight guys out there that are really, really low on energy right now. It showed, as we had to play catch-up. The tank just empties out too quickly. You call on a few guys, and even though they’re healthy, they’re playing in too many situations that are very hard to get through.’’

http://lakingsinsider.com/?p=631

Old
10-18-2009, 12:24 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post

MURRAY: “Yeah, lots of them. We’ve probably got seven, eight guys out there that are really, really low on energy right now. It showed, as we had to play catch-up. The tank just empties out too quickly. You call on a few guys, and even though they’re healthy, they’re playing in too many situations that are very hard to get through.’’

Low on energy is not sick. That is what I think he is referring to.

Old
10-18-2009, 12:31 AM
William H Bonney

Quote:

Gee Terry, in that case, maybe you should have played Oscar Moller and Trevor Lewis more than 6 and 9 minutes respectively?

Old
10-18-2009, 12:32 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Jim Fox has in the past 3 games in a VERY subtle way mentioned how the Kings need to start "taking chances" and he has said it when they have fallen behind and then emphasized it with even more subtle statements about how the Kings are not controlling the puck in the offensive zone. I don't believe Murray will change his style.
I'm not sure when specifically you're referring to in terms of taking more chances during the game (I listened to the radio for this game), but the Kings spent a lot of time in Columbus' zone in the 3rd tonight and had at least 3 quality chances they couldn't get past Mason.

The D were certainly given the green light to take chances for a good chunk of the 3rd. They made some pretty good decisions when deciding when to pinch as well. They didn't give up a whole lot of chances the other way. Columbus went 10 minutes with only 1 shot on goal in the 3rd - that shot was the SH goal.

- T

Old
10-18-2009, 12:38 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Gee Terry, in that case, maybe you should have played Oscar Moller and Trevor Lewis more than 6 and 9 minutes respectively?
You really want Lewis to get more than 9 minutes a game?

As far as Moller's 6 minutes... he spent most of his time on the bench from the 2nd period on trying to figure out where he was after the hit he took. Hopefully he doesn't have a concussion.

Last edited by TonySCV: 10-18-2009 at 01:22 AM.
Old
10-18-2009, 12:51 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Beat me to it.

Lewis isn't getting enough ice time for good reason. He will be back in Manchester soon enough. I don't know anything about the CBA or waiver rules. Does he have to clear waivers?

Old
10-18-2009, 12:53 AM
Scrivezina
AMart Jazz Hands!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
Quick was 2nd star of the ****ing week.

So many people here need to give their heads a shake. Team is still over .500 and is on pace for what many optimists hoped for. They just lost to two better teams on the road. It's going to happen several times this season...you think we'd all be used to this by now?
Getting used to losing is the problem. Winning=playoffs. They need to grow a pair, crash the net and win against some of the more successful teams. Otherwise, they'll be bottom dwellers who sneak into the playoffs and play the 1st seed in the opening round. Scuderi "didn't come here to finish second place."

Old
10-18-2009, 12:58 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

I think I am going to skip Monday's game, watching sports should be fun and enjoyable, but this team just isn't fun at all.

I can handle losing if the team is rebuilding or showing signs of progress, but I just don't see a light at the end of the tunnel with this team under Terry Murray.

This team needs a young coach that can grow with the team, the most successful coaches in Kings history were not recycled old NHL coaches like Crawford and Murray.

The days of dump and chase boring hockey are a thing of the past.

Old
10-18-2009, 01:06 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
I think I am going to skip Monday's game, watching sports should be fun and enjoyable, but this team just isn't fun at all.

I can handle losing if the team is rebuilding or showing signs of progress, but I just don't see a light at the end of the tunnel with this team under Terry Murray.

This team needs a young coach that can grow with the team, the most successful coaches in Kings history were not recycled old NHL coaches like Crawford and Murray.

The days of dump and chase boring hockey are a thing of the past.
Turn that frown upside down.

The boys have shown they can play a puck possession game. For goodness sake, they did it in games 2, 3 and most of 4. The next few games will tell us a lot. We keep playing dump and chase hockey and a collapsing defensive style, then we'll all look forward to the draft

I know. Not funny.

Old
10-18-2009, 01:14 AM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
Move Purcell to 1st line
What?!?!? Based on what?

Old
10-18-2009, 01:16 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Turn that frown upside down.

The boys have shown they can play a puck possession game. For goodness sake, they did it in games 2, 3 and most of 4. The next few games will tell us a lot. We keep playing dump and chase hockey and a collapsing defensive style, then we'll all look forward to the draft

I know. Not funny.
Sorry Zad, you know I have been here for awhile, been through awful years with the Kings and I never thought I would be one to give up on the Kings for good, but seriously I feel like a Raider fan at this point.

I think the hiring of Terry Murray is turning into one of the worst moves this team has made in recent memory, and that is saying something.

I just hope he gets the two years and out treatment that Crawford got. The problem is neither one should have been hired in the first place.

Old
10-18-2009, 01:20 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
What?!?!? Based on what?
He has atleast shown some flashes in a few games, which is more than can be said for pedestrian Justin Williams.

I liked the Williams move at first, because I remember how good he was on Carolina, its pretty obvious now that injuries have made him a shell of what he used to be.

Old
10-18-2009, 01:20 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Did Moller really only get 8 minutes this game?

Also, anyone notice that we had the same refs as the Wings game? We all learned something tonight. Making a cross check motion and missing is a penalty. Anybody got a rule book handy?

Old
10-18-2009, 01:22 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Great to be back to the Kings hockey I know and love.

Old
10-18-2009, 02:28 AM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Not really, but if the coach is going to use an excuse about multiple players being sick and others being "really, really low on energy" due to him riding certain players, I think it'd be beneficial for guys like Lewis to play more.

If not, then may I ask what the hell Murray is doing giving the 4th liners a consistent shift if he doesn't think they're up to the task of playing over a consistently bad (and sick) Justin Williams tonight?

Quote:
As far as Moller's 6 minutes... he spent most of his time on the bench from the 2nd period on trying to figure out where he was after the hit he took. Hopefully he doesn't have a concussion.
Not really. He had 5 shifts in the 1st for a total of 2:02. 2 shifts in the 2nd for a total of 1:23, the 2nd shift of which he was hit and Ivanans took the penalty. He then had another shift in the 2nd of 1:21 for a total in the 2nd of 2:44. In the 3rd, he had 2 more shifts for 1:42.

So he basically played as much after the hit as he did before it. Again, Moller may not be ready for full-time NHL duty yet, but if you have two of your top 6 players ill and others low on energy, why isn't Moller getting more ice time?

Old
10-18-2009, 02:30 AM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Did Moller really only get 8 minutes this game?

Also, anyone notice that we had the same refs as the Wings game? We all learned something tonight. Making a cross check motion and missing is a penalty. Anybody got a rule book handy?
Nope. He only played 6.

Old
10-18-2009, 02:32 AM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Beat me to it.

Lewis isn't getting enough ice time for good reason. He will be back in Manchester soon enough. I don't know anything about the CBA or waiver rules. Does he have to clear waivers?
I'm not advocating for Lewis to get more time on a regular basis. I'm advocating for Terry Murray not to blame another lackluster effort on using ill players and having others on dust fumes while he has players sitting on the bench healthy and raring to go.

If he doesn't have any confidence in them then he shouldn't be giving them shifts in the 3rd periods of games we're losing, which he does every game.

Old
10-18-2009, 03:15 AM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Quote:
That would have been lame.

So, did you rub your eyes too and wonder if it was 2003 and that was Andy Murray behind the bench tonight?
I rubbed my eyes and thought it was 1995 and I was watching the Devils.

Then they got scored on and I realized the mid-90s Devils, while playing boring dump and chase, were much better defensively.

Old
10-18-2009, 08:27 AM
Matt13

Old
10-18-2009, 09:54 AM
Mattias

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Great to be back to the Kings hockey I know and love.
I chuckled there.

Closed Thread