HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

cap on salary, so why not cap on ticket prices

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2004, 09:23 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

vCash: 500
cap on salary, so why not cap on ticket prices

if the owners want a cap on player salaries, why don't they also offer to make a cap on ticket prices. if they want to guarantee a profit for every team, why not also guarantee low ticket prices for the fans, since they say the raise in ticket prices are DIRECTLY related to the raise in salary costs.

am i the only one who doesn't see any sense in owners saying they want to cap costs of the product but are not willing to cap the prices of the product sold? let's see the owners acutally follow through with what they say.

Old
11-28-2004, 09:31 PM
hockeytown9321

[QUOTE=KingPurpleDinosaur]if the owners want a cap on player salaries, why don't they also offer to make a cap on ticket prices. if they want to guarantee a profit for every team, why not also guarantee low ticket prices for the fans, since they say the raise in ticket prices are DIRECTLY related to the raise in salary costs.
/QUOTE]

Possibly becuase they're lying. Ticket prices have much more to do with a little something I like to call supply and demand.

Old
11-28-2004, 10:01 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Wage controls without price controls. Who wouldnt want that? Many fans seem to think it is the owners right even.

Are all ticket prices the same in the NFL and NBA? What makes them rise?

It is curious that fans are more upset with salaries than higher ticket prices. It seems most fans given the choice, would choose a salary cap over a ticket price cap? You would think if they were expressing their best interests, they would opt for a ticket price cap.

Old
11-28-2004, 11:57 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeytown9321
Possibly becuase they're lying. Ticket prices have much more to do with a little something I like to call supply and demand.
exactly, which is why i wonder owners use that card on fans and fans believe it.

Old
11-29-2004, 01:17 AM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
if the owners want a cap on player salaries, why don't they also offer to make a cap on ticket prices. if they want to guarantee a profit for every team, why not also guarantee low ticket prices for the fans, since they say the raise in ticket prices are DIRECTLY related to the raise in salary costs.

am i the only one who doesn't see any sense in owners saying they want to cap costs of the product but are not willing to cap the prices of the product sold? let's see the owners acutally follow through with what they say.
Because, if you're an owner, it's your duty as a businessman to charge the highest price the market allows.
Caps make no sense.

Old
11-29-2004, 08:06 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsguyone
Because, if you're an owner, it's your duty as a businessman to charge the highest price the market allows.
Caps make no sense.
ur absolutely right. so if it doens't make any sense for an owner, why does it make sense on the player? if u cap one, i say cap both. they're trying to use the ticket price card, so why not follow through with it.

Old
11-29-2004, 09:06 AM
SENSible1*

Quote:
ur absolutely right. so if it doens't make any sense for an owner, why does it make sense on the player? if u cap one, i say cap both. they're trying to use the ticket price card, so why not follow through with it.
Because ticket prices operate within a free market and player's salaries are operate within the artificial construct of the CBA.

Old
11-29-2004, 11:42 AM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Come on. Who can force the owners to cap prices? There are no parties who would bargain such a thing.

I disagree with salary caps and ticket caps.
If fans don't want to pay $500 bucks to bring a family of four to a hockey game, they don't have to do it.
The problem is that corporations and businesses buy up a lot of these tickets (in the lowerbowl anyway). They can write off some of the expenses. That has the effect of putting prices out of the average fan's budget, so fans can't really bring down prices with boycotts or whatever.

Old
11-29-2004, 11:50 AM
YellHockey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsguyone
They can write off some of the expenses. That has the effect of putting prices out of the average fan's budget, so fans can't really bring down prices with boycotts or whatever.
Then maybe the fans should pressure their government to take away these corporate tax breaks.

Old
11-29-2004, 11:54 AM
Benji Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRedGold
Then maybe the fans should pressure their government to take away these corporate tax breaks.
Good luck.

Old
11-29-2004, 11:58 AM
SENSible1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRedGold
Nice to see the NHLPAers keeping up their usual level of realistic solutions to problems.

Last edited by SENSible1*: 11-29-2004 at 03:34 PM.
Old
11-29-2004, 01:01 PM
Iceman23

Even if the owners charge the most what they can, a high expense like salary will force the owner to keep the prices high despite sagging attendance. Arenas are half empty, while ticket prices are climbing. If salaries are reigned in a bit, I doubt we will see the rise in ticket prices that we have seen in the last decade.

Old
11-29-2004, 01:21 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

Quote:

Because they are in a PR battle. The fact that some people think a salary cap will cause cheaper ticket prices means it's working.

If a owners can get $50.00 for a ticket why should he only charge $35.00 for it? Out of the goodness of his heart? These guys made their money by maximizing revenue, not by giving it away.

Old
11-29-2004, 02:37 PM
Benji Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
Nice to see the NHLPAers keeping up their usual level of realistic solutions to problems.
Why would you attach my name to someone else's comment?

As for me being an NHLPAer, I didn't realize we'd picked sides!!!

Old
11-29-2004, 03:35 PM
SENSible1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji Frank
Why would you attach my name to someone else's comment?

As for me being an NHLPAer, I didn't realize we'd picked sides!!!

My sincerest apologies, I made a mistake while cutting/pasting.

I can fully understand why you wouldn't want your name associated with that statement.

Old
11-29-2004, 03:44 PM
hockeytown9321

Quote:
exactly, which is why i wonder owners use that card on fans and fans believe it.
Becuase they only beleive what they want to beleive.

Closed Thread