HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

Bertram and Fallon lead list of current players ranked in CSB preliminary rankings

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2004, 05:51 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Bertram and Fallon lead list of current players ranked in CSB preliminary rankings

You can find the list HERE but you have to scroll to the bottom.

Thoughts?

Old
11-16-2004, 06:09 PM
TMHUNH

Lots of recycled goods on that list. All Opt Outs and Undrafteds.

Never thought Rheault would be that high, although he did tear up the E last year. Still won't be a day one pick, shows you how weak the college crop is this year.

I'd be surprised if any of those goalies get picked.

Old
11-16-2004, 07:10 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I liked what I saw from Evan Rankin this past weekend, he scored a big goal to tie the game against Western Michigan.

Sasha Pokulok is getting good reviews from Cornell fans, played well at the U-17's for Team Quebec if I recall hearing.

I thought highly of Steve Birnstill, he looked solid last year.

Fallon and Lundin look good so far.

Old
11-19-2004, 09:05 AM
Schlep Rock

Two-time CCHA rookie of the week (Matsumoto) is #11 on the list... let's see if he can rise at all.

Old
11-19-2004, 12:53 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMHUNH
Lots of recycled goods on that list. All Opt Outs and Undrafteds.

Never thought Rheault would be that high, although he did tear up the E last year. Still won't be a day one pick, shows you how weak the college crop is this year.

I'd be surprised if any of those goalies get picked.
I saw Fallon in the UVM game versus BU and I was very impressed with his performance. I'll see Vermont again later in the season. If he continues to play the way he has been, SOMEONE will pick him up in the draft...even if it's in the 8th or 9th round.

Schlep Rock: As I mentioned on the prospects board, "Matsy" is one of the three players appearing on the CSB prem rankings for the NCAA that I felt was ranked too low. (The other two were OSU's Tom Fritsche and BU's Peter MacArthur).

Old
11-28-2004, 12:32 AM
Erack82

Send a message via AIM to Erack82
I would like to mention goaltender Daniel Bellissimo from the Western Michigan University Broncos...

As a freshman goalie, he has started 12 of the first 13 games, posting a 2.87 GAA and .912 SV%. Also should be mentioned is that the Broncos are extremely inexperienced on the blueline. With 4 of their top 5 being of sophmore or freshmen status. Daniel isn't really getting much help in his own end, to go along with a system which is of the run and gun type played at WMU. As a result, Bellissimo frequently sees upwards to 30+ shots a night.

Daniel has a quick glovehand, quick feet, and a especially nice frame standing 6'2" tall. I believe if he can keep playing consistent and keep his #1 spot with the Broncos this year, I see no reason why Bellissimo shouldn't be mentioned in the CSB rankings at the end of the season.

No one really ever talks about the Broncos, but Bellissimo has been one of the best goalies I have seen come through Kalamazoo in a while, and I believe he is worth mentioning to at least keep an eye on.

Note: His teamate and brother Vince Bellissimo was a 5th round draft pick in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft by the Florida Panthers.

Old
11-28-2004, 12:30 PM
Greg

I'm impressed with what UVM has done so far, is Fallon a big part of their success?

Old
11-28-2004, 04:07 PM
TMHUNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
I'm impressed with what UVM has done so far, is Fallon a big part of their success?
yes he has been, perhaps the biggest part, along with the play of Torrey Mitchell, with Jamie Sifers doing a great job as a leader and their best D-man.

Oilerschick, as for my comment on as to wether he will be drafted, it was not based on his play thus far which has been solid, but it has to be realized that he has been passed over in TWO drafts already, I had him penciled in last year to get picked, but he didn't after being ranked 20th for NA goalies last year. Now, if he has a HUGE year he will get picked up in the late rounds like you mentioned, but we have seen what happens to players who have the talent to be picked higher but are recycyled from previous drafts like Ihnacak, Dave Brown, or Danny Winnik. Expect the same to happen this year with a lot of players on that list, who are from previous drafts. Although, the weak European crop, coupled with any opt-outs could mean that a lot of players that wouldn't have been picked last year or certainly in 2003 could see their name getting called in June, or whenever a draft may be, so I may be speaking too soon.

Either way, as it stands now it is misleading, because although Fallon is the top ranked college goalie, if the list was made as it is at midterms and final, he wouldn't be above 15th on a NA goalies list, so I just think people are making too much of it.

Old
11-28-2004, 06:25 PM
TMHUNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erack82
Daniel has a quick glovehand, quick feet, and a especially nice frame standing 6'2" tall. I believe if he can keep playing consistent and keep his #1 spot with the Broncos this year, I see no reason why Bellissimo shouldn't be mentioned in the CSB rankings at the end of the season.
Other than the fact that he is an 84 birthdate, and thus too old for the draft

He is having a great start to his career as a freshman, so if he has a good 4 years there he could garner a FA look.

Old
11-29-2004, 02:19 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMHUNH
yes he has been, perhaps the biggest part, along with the play of Torrey Mitchell, with Jamie Sifers doing a great job as a leader and their best D-man.

Oilerschick, as for my comment on as to wether he will be drafted, it was not based on his play thus far which has been solid, but it has to be realized that he has been passed over in TWO drafts already, I had him penciled in last year to get picked, but he didn't after being ranked 20th for NA goalies last year. Now, if he has a HUGE year he will get picked up in the late rounds like you mentioned, but we have seen what happens to players who have the talent to be picked higher but are recycyled from previous drafts like Ihnacak, Dave Brown, or Danny Winnik. Expect the same to happen this year with a lot of players on that list, who are from previous drafts. Although, the weak European crop, coupled with any opt-outs could mean that a lot of players that wouldn't have been picked last year or certainly in 2003 could see their name getting called in June, or whenever a draft may be, so I may be speaking too soon.

Either way, as it stands now it is misleading, because although Fallon is the top ranked college goalie, if the list was made as it is at midterms and final, he wouldn't be above 15th on a NA goalies list, so I just think people are making too much of it.
I agree that the way it stands is a bit misleading (that's why I take more stock in what the mid-term rankings when they rank ALL NA players. It gives me a better read...even if I don't necessarily agree with it). But I still say that Fallon's stock could continue to rise if he continues to have a very good year. That said, I'm sure there are other goaltenders from either the USHL, USNTDP or Canadian Junior Leagues who will rank higher than Fallon.

Also, I haven't heard/read anything about whether the NCAA will allow opt-ins again this year, have you? (although with the current CBA situation and the way it's going, it's beginning to become a moot point for this year).

Old
11-29-2004, 03:18 PM
TMHUNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
Also, I haven't heard/read anything about whether the NCAA will allow opt-ins again this year, have you? (although with the current CBA situation and the way it's going, it's beginning to become a moot point for this year).
Haven't heard anything yet,

I assume discussion on it won't heat up until later on in the season, and since there is no NHL/Draft for now, we are even less likely to hear about it.

The only players it affects on CSBs list are Bertram, Fritsche, Matsumoto, Hagemo, and Todd Perry, and a couple of them may want to opt out anyway if they aren't getting the rankings they deserve (Fritsche).

So the NCAA may not be as generous since it affects just 4 or 5 guys this time around.

Closed Thread