HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

"Mr. Arnott Goes to Washington" - 10.17.09 - Nashville @ Washington

Old
10-18-2009, 01:49 AM
Wantsumcheezwyrwine

vCash: 500
Agreed

Zannon should have done better last year seeing how in 0708 he pretty much played D by himself...(Zid was obviously auditioning for the ice capades). I'm still trying to figure out what is going on. A bunch of baby kittens and some soph on the team really makes that big of a difference? I'm not too sure about that. Agree on the statement about the defense....too many back door goals....looks like 5 year olds playing soccer...all around the puck and nobody around the net.

Wantsumcheezwyrwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 12:39 PM
MemphisMTLfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
What happened to Wilson? Hardly saw him in the third?

Also...Ward is looking like the player we signed LAST season, rather than this offseason. Not doing a whole lot of anything out there right now that you wouldn't see from an average 4th line grinder.

All in all, an encouraging game...very difficult to keep track of lines, it seemed like they were juggled so much, but much better than the last few. Credit to Franson...he looked better than he has in the past, and outplayed Klein easily.
True. No way should we have to wait until after the ASB for him to start looking good again.

MemphisMTLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 12:49 PM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
With Ward, I think we should be a bit patient. He is playing just as good defense as last year and may still be getting his legs under him. He had no preseason and has been put on the 3rd line.

I really hope Erat, Legwand and to a lesser extent Sully start playing. It looks like weve found our other top six winger in Hornqvist.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 12:58 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
I had a wedding yesterday so didnt see the game, but I just checked out the highlights on NHL.com

Looked like a really exciting game, we could have run away with it if someone could bury some breakaways.

We obviously got lucky with the Dumont goal but coming back from a hole is something I havent seen in a long time. Hopefully this jumpstarts us.

I also noticed on most of the Cap goals or chances Klein was right there in front of the net. Looks like he was paired with both Laakso and The Cube. Who played with Hamhuis most of the night?

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 01:10 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
With Ward, I think we should be a bit patient. He is playing just as good defense as last year and may still be getting his legs under him. He had no preseason and has been put on the 3rd line.

I really hope Erat, Legwand and to a lesser extent Sully start playing. It looks like weve found our other top six winger in Hornqvist.
Agreed, Ward is playing solid defense and is regularly disrupting the opposition on the forecheck and creating turnovers as well. His offensive game will round into shape soon enough. Wardo is one of the hardest workers and smallest egos you will find on the team.

Erat has been simplifying his game late this week, but still needs to add a little grit and bear down to get to the net to make it work. I have no clue what is wrong with Legwand right now, he is playing fairly well defensively, but is yet to really bear down and battle on the consistent basis needed for him to be at the top of his game. I can probably count the number of puck battles Sullivan has tried to win this season on my fingers, those that he's won I can out on less than one hand. Sully is being too cute.

Hornqvist is our team's leading scorer and has really excelled this season playing on a scoring line. He is faster this season both on the ice and in his decision-making and has a real solid grasp this year of what he needs to do to be successful at this level. Patric goes to the hard areas (in the corners, net front, etc) without hesitation and routinely comes away with the puck on his stick. He has really been probably our lone bright spot offensively early this season...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 01:55 PM
braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
Who played with Hamhuis most of the night?
Uhhh.... Mrs. Hammer? He was injured and at home.

2nd straight decent effort from the Preds. They are stringing the effort together and bringing more guys along. I'm happy with a point and the progress.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 02:34 PM
MemphisMTLfan

Quote:

You know what? I totally forgot about that.

Old
10-18-2009, 03:02 PM
predfan98

Ok, Klein was in for both of the goals scored against us..........again.

Does anyone have any insight on him? How long is he signed for?

Is he just a flop at this level and not living up to his hype?

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 03:21 PM
MemphisMTLfan

I don't think Klein had any doing in that second goal against us. I have to go back and look at the first, but you give WSH two PP back to back, you're bound to have a GA.

Old
10-18-2009, 04:09 PM
smitty10

Preds should call up Sulzer...he seems to be killing it in the AHL.

smitty10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 04:46 PM
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
Ok, Klein was in for both of the goals scored against us..........again.
If you watched the game, you'd realize that he wasn't responsible for either goal.

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 05:27 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
He has been on the ice for every single goal against Nashville this year.
Klein has been a weak link for sure back on the blueline this season, however that stat is totally inaccurate. Klein has been on the ice for the past 5 goals against and probably played a role in 3 of the 5, however shouldn't carry the blame on either of the two goals against last night. However, all it takes is to go back to the Dallas game Wednesday night where he was on the ice for only 1 of the 6 goals allowed...

Belak and then Smithson with extremely undisciplined penalties lead to back-to-back PP's for the Caps. Ovechkin got open and beat Ellis with a laser of a slap shot, that is why he is a superstar. Ward actually was the closest man to the play and responsible for that general area...

On the second goal, Laakso had no business whatsoever turning into the boards to try to make a play on a bouncing puck when he was covering arguably the best player in the league one-on-one with no support and plenty of open ice around him. Laakso has to maintain inside position there and force Ovechkin to the boards where he can attempt to separate him from the puck with a body check. Klein wasn't in any position to support him after the puck got by and shouldn't have been as he was covering the player coming up the far boards at the time...

My objections to Klein have been well documented, however after making some horrible errors in the season finale last season, he appears to have regressed. He doesn't communicate on the ice, displays little confidence with or without the puck, and appears to be struggling mentally with the speed of the game, which in turn leads to his physical mistakes. Klein is at best no more than a No. 6 defenseman at this point in his career and needs to step up his game to really take on the demands that the Predators have tried to entrust him with this season. It has been a perfect opportunity for Klein to raise his value and lay claim to more minutes, but thus far he is leaving the door open for someone else to come in and put him right back into the 12 minutes a night category...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 06:17 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I actually think both Klein and Laakso are both to blame for that goal. Yes, Laakso made a poor decision when he stepped up on the blueline in an attempt to catch the hail mary puck, but Klein was lollygagging back on the play. After he saw his partner step up, he should have immediately got back behind him. Klein didn't start skating back until Ovechkin already had the puck in his possession.

But all in all, I think Klein played a better game. I'm really interested to see how our defensemen continue to play without Hamhuis. If are able to get by without him, it may make him expendable...

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 06:20 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

If Klein steps up to help against Ovechkin he leaves his man open. Ovie was going to beat Laakso out if they fought for the puck, but Laakso could have at best seperated him from it once he did possess it or at least keep him in a bad angle. I know, I know. There aren't too many bad angles when you're talking about Alexander Ovechkin, but allowing him to beat you and skate unopposed into the slot for a one on one with your goalie is a stupid mistake. Klein isn't playing good hockey, but we can't blame him for things that aren't his fault.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 06:29 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
If Klein steps up to help against Ovechkin he leaves his man open. Ovie was going to beat Laakso out if they fought for the puck, but Laakso could have at best seperated him from it once he did possess it or at least keep him in a bad angle. I know, I know. There aren't too many bad angles when you're talking about Alexander Ovechkin, but allowing him to beat you and skate unopposed into the slot for a one on one with your goalie is a stupid mistake. Klein isn't playing good hockey, but we can't blame him for things that aren't his fault.
When did I say Klein should step up? I said he needed to hustle back.

Old
10-18-2009, 06:39 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

When you say something like "he should have immediately got back behind him" it sounds like you would've wanted him helping Laakso reign in one guy when the forwards were still skating back to the zone.

It doesn't matter. As far as I'm concerned Klein wasn't at fault for either goal. That doesn't mean he played a good game. It also doesn't mean he isn't at fault for several other goals. His time should be limited, but he shouldn't be paired with Laakso at any time, especially when the most dangerous player in hockey is on the ice looking to extend a one-goal lead.

Old
10-18-2009, 07:03 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
When you say something like "he should have immediately got back behind him" it sounds like you would've wanted him helping Laakso reign in one guy when the forwards were still skating back to the zone.

It doesn't matter. As far as I'm concerned Klein wasn't at fault for either goal. That doesn't mean he played a good game. It also doesn't mean he isn't at fault for several other goals. His time should be limited, but he shouldn't be paired with Laakso at any time, especially when the most dangerous player in hockey is on the ice looking to extend a one-goal lead.
Ok, I see where my wording is poor. I didn't mean literally behind him. Basically, Klein made the right play. He was just 2 seconds too late. Defense partners need to work together and help each other out. When one steps up, the other falls back.

I don't see everyone's need to blame one single player for each goal. It's a team sport, and rarely is the blame solely placed on one individual.

Old
10-18-2009, 07:45 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Is it fair to say that, while Laakso isn't to shoulder all of the blame, his ineffective defensive effort directly led to a scoring chance that should not have existed?

Old
10-18-2009, 07:53 PM
MemphisMTLfan

Yea, Ward was closest to Ovechkin during that PP goal. By the time Green passed the puck to an open Ovechkin, it was too late for Ward to react. Klein was on the other side of that and looked like he did his job along with Goc. Not sure why Ward had his back turned to Ovechkin.

Old
10-18-2009, 07:59 PM
MemphisMTLfan

Quote:
Is it fair to say that, while Laakso isn't to shoulder all of the blame, his ineffective defensive effort directly led to a scoring chance that should not have existed?
I'd place all the blame on Laakso, he made a very very very poor decision. No way should Klein carry any of the blame on that one.

Old
10-19-2009, 10:01 AM
Panopticon

I, even as a fan of his, blame that goal on Laakso. Sure, Klein could've hustled back faster and maybe be in time to cover Laakso's mistake, but what the hell did Laakso think was going to happen with that puck? It wasn't exactly a weird bounce, it bounced pretty much the way it could be expected to bounce there.

Any news on what happened to Laakso, though? He only got one shift early in the 2nd period and was out for the rest of the game. He must've been injured, as I see no real reason to bench him in that game, especially since he wasn't benched right after his mistake, but a few shifts later. His last shift was a PK shift and I doubt a coach gives a d-man a PK shift in a close game if he doesn't trust him and is about to bench him...

Panopticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 10:03 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panopticon View Post
I, even as a fan of his, blame that goal on Laakso. Sure, Klein could've hustled back faster and maybe be in time to cover Laakso's mistake, but what the hell did Laakso think was going to happen with that puck? It wasn't exactly a weird bounce, it bounced pretty much the way it could be expected to bounce there.

Any news on what happened to Laakso, though? He only got one shift early in the 2nd period and was out for the rest of the game. He must've been injured, as I see no real reason to bench him in that game, especially since he wasn't benched right after his mistake, but a few shifts later. His last shift was a PK shift and I doubt a coach gives a d-man a PK shift in a close game if he doesn't trust him and is about to bench him...
He was benched, as was Wilson in the third. He didn't elaborate on Laakso, but he said that Wilson "stood and watched" for two consecutive shifts.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 10:15 AM
MemphisMTLfan

^^ Wow really? I thought they were injured, especially Wilson.

Old
10-19-2009, 10:48 AM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisHockeyFan View Post
^^ Wow really? I thought they were injured, especially Wilson.
Wilson did just stand and watch. The first two games I would have said he should stay but now I think he should go to Milwaukee for a bit.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 11:21 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Wilson did just stand and watch. The first two games I would have said he should stay but now I think he should go to Milwaukee for a bit.
This just doesn't make sense.

Consider that this was only Wilson's third game. This particular game may have been a bad game for him (I have yet to watch the game- I will tonight). That said, this game also (apparently) saw all sorts of line combinations by the Predators. I don't think it's so unexpected that a rookie who clearly thinks the game the way he does might have a little paralysis going on- particurly without any practice time on their new strategies.

Keep in mind that in his first two games, he was one of the better players on the ice for Nashville. The fact that he's a rookie means he's going to experience growing pains as well. To send him down the first time he has a bad game doesn't send the best message in my opinion. I think it's fair to see how he responds from the partial benching.

Let's see how he does on the rest of the road trip now that they have practiced prior to their next game.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote