HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs lose 5th straight

Old
10-18-2009, 06:24 PM
Gary320

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Our fans cheering for Kovalev like that should tell everyone one thing... this franchise is starving for an actual elite forward to show up. Kovalev had the skill set to be that guy and that's why fans went crazy over him. I also think it was pretty silly to cheer him after the 3rd goal. It was really dumb. But that says more about the state of the team over the past 20 years than anything.
Its the same people who bash him and wanna trade him after he plays 1 out of every 5 games.

They didnt cheer to make a statement that they wanted an elite player. They just wanted a good reason to shove it in the face of Habs. I'm sure if the Habs are winning 2 1 and Kovy scores, your not hearing ANY cheers from the crowd.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 07:12 PM
owa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Please....it was a weak move. Alex Kovalev was an ok player for Montreal, he didn`t set any records or do anything noteworthy. Fans just have a ridiculous crush on him, end of story. I`ve seen much better players come and go for Montreal, I don`t care what Kovalev does, he plays for the Sens now. I think it`s weak for habs fans to cheer for him, I don`t care how anyone puts it.

Taking away a really great player??? Please...it just shows how little quality of players the Habs have had the last 5 years. And if he really never wanted to leave, then he should of signed instead of trying to squeeze Gainey for more money

He`s replaced Jose Theodore as the most overrated player to play in montreal since the 93 cup IMO.
Please, Even still, he was the best player in Montreal, and he's still better then anything else they have!

owa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 07:17 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by owa View Post
Please, Even still, he was the best player in Montreal, and he's still better then anything else they have!
Andrei Markov >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>> Kovalev

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 07:33 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
I understand why Kovy was cheered after the 3rd goal.
It's quite simple.
First Habs were playing like ***** in the 3rd period. Nothing close of showing character and determination. It was pathetic.

When the 3rd goal was scored, everyone in the building knew it was over. There was no way Habs were going to come back.

They were ready to boo but then noticed that the goal scorer was Kovy and cheered him instead of booing their team. They were looking for something to celebrate. In the last 4 games at home there has been really nothing to celebrate so it's perfectly understandable.
I agree with you, they also cheered Marty Brodeur last year, there was nothing wrong with cheering Kovalev it was out of respect, alot of the fans were pissed an rightfully so, they knew the Habs were clearly out of it so they took out their frustrations the best way they knew how. People please, these guys are not babies, they are very highly paid men, most of whom are multi-millionaires, if they are bruised from this experience,come out and play pissed off the next game, don't come out and play 1 period and turtle for the other 40 minutes. I believe that if you pay in the hundreds of dollars for a ticket you should be at least allowed to cheer,heck I think they should be entitled to a refund

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 07:55 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
Its the same people who bash him and wanna trade him after he plays 1 out of every 5 games.

They didnt cheer to make a statement that they wanted an elite player. They just wanted a good reason to shove it in the face of Habs. I'm sure if the Habs are winning 2 1 and Kovy scores, your not hearing ANY cheers from the crowd.
If the habs are winning people are happy. We haven't seen much of that the past 15 games they've played. Goes back to the state of the team the past 20 years.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 08:11 PM
owa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Andrei Markov >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>> Kovalev
Oh, I didn't see Markov last night.

owa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 08:16 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Oh, I didn't see Markov last night.
You said he was the best player in Montreal when he clearly wasn't because Markov was better than him when he was here.

And if you're talking about Kovalev being the best player last night in Montreal that is also a fail because aside from his pass and goal he wasn't noticeable or else we would've heard the cheers/boos a lot more last night.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 09:11 PM
Bialo Czerwoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
You said he was the best player in Montreal when he clearly wasn't because Markov was better than him when he was here.

And if you're talking about Kovalev being the best player last night in Montreal that is also a fail because aside from his pass and goal he wasn't noticeable or else we would've heard the cheers/boos a lot more last night.
Yes, aside from a pass and a goal... He only participated directly to 2 goals in a 2 goals victory..

Bialo Czerwoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 09:22 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bialo Czerwoni View Post
Yes, aside from a pass and a goal... He only participated directly to 2 goals in a 2 goals victory..
I'm REALLY hoping you're a sens fan. Yes Kovalev did score 2 pts in a 2 goal victory but had it not been for a retarded mistake on his goal, he would have been invisible all night.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 09:36 PM
Bialo Czerwoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
I'm REALLY hoping you're a sens fan. Yes Kovalev did score 2 pts in a 2 goal victory but had it not been for a retarded mistake on his goal, he would have been invisible all night.
That's a lot of "ifs" and "asides"
If Kostitsyn wouldn't be in a deep comatose for the last year and a half or if Bob Gainey would make better decison's from time to time(not only talking about Kovalev here) we might be in a better situation right now and not stuck with a big ass pylon and a team full of smurfs.

Bialo Czerwoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 09:52 PM
jamwires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
The pass to Alfie was alright too...no?

jamwires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 10:15 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Sens fans are just jealous cause they helped our tank.

Ottawa will finish 8th and lose in the first round like we did last year.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 02:29 AM
dutchy29

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Well, let's see. He went out of his way to trade Higgins, McDon & Valetanko to the Strangers and relieve them of an asinine contract for a second line center-man who will give you nothing more than what you already had in Koivu. If he lives up to his reputation he'll give you less.

And when Lang hinted he wanted to come back, the Habs didn't even give him a try out.

Are you still wondering?

What gets me about Bobsled is that he identified the Habs problems years ago and then makes moves that completely ignore those problems. We needed a big strong centerman, preferably right handed. He gives us Gomez.

This summer he lets go of half his team. I got no problem with that. I loved some of the players he let go (Koivu) but I can understand the thinking.

But for chrissakes don't give me this cow poo of Gomez, Cammalleri, Gionta & Plekanec. This summer he had a fantastic opportunity to remake the team and he failed. He failed miserably.
If this same core of players goes on a hot streak and starts clicking you will have no right to cheer for this hockey team.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
That`s a freakin`joke and if you really and truly believe that you`re delusional. He was the `feature`player in Montreal, sure but he was so by default and that`s a testament to the amount of elite talent that`s come through Montreal the last decade...

furthermore, I wish all this support from Kovalev from OTHER fanbases would of showed up while he was still a Habs. Because when he was in Montreal, he was pretty much known as a player who had no heart, showed no effort, was terribly overrated and past his prime.

As for this whole Kovalev thing...I think Eklund says it best in this articlehttp://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...return/1/23722

Last edited by 417: 10-19-2009 at 12:02 PM.
417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 12:25 PM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bialo Czerwoni View Post
That's a lot of "ifs" and "asides"
If Kostitsyn wouldn't be in a deep comatose for the last year and a half or if Bob Gainey would make better decison's from time to time(not only talking about Kovalev here) we might be in a better situation right now and not stuck with a big ass pylon and a team full of smurfs.
You obviously like Kovalev better than you like the Montreal Canadiens, so what difference does it make to you?

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 12:55 PM
utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Sens fans are just jealous cause they helped our tank.

Ottawa will finish 8th and lose in the first round like we did last year.
That may well be, and it would certainly be a step in the right direction after missing the playoffs last year.

As for Kovy and the Montreal Fans. He was an UFA, and Montreal chose not to re-sign him. I think those fans that cheered him, cheered him as a way of honoring his years as a Hab. There's no ill-will between Kovy and Montreal. He loves the City, and I'm sure he would have played there if he had been offered a contract.

This isn't a Dany Heatley or Alexi Yashin type situation, where those players were either booed or will be booed when they play in Ottawa.

As for Kovy, I don't think he's that great a player...or even good value for the Sens at 10 Million over two season. But, the Sens signed him....and hopefully he works out for us. It was almost a sure thing that he would impact the game on his first return to Montreal, and he did. Now, he needs to keep doing it....because he's already had some nights when he was invisible in an Ottawa jersey.

As for the Habs. Injuries aside, The team is too small up front. You could see it the other night against Ottawa. When they needed to press....they couldn't, and they ran out of gas. Price hasn't been great either. Too much was laid on this kid's shoulders. The whole 'second coming of Patrick Roy' stuff, was going to be too much of a load to bear. Canadian Cities eat their goalies for lunch if they don't deliver, and Price is starting to see how quickly fans can turn....when the losses mount.

There have only been a handful of goalies over the years, that could handle the pressure of playing in Canada. Patrick Roy, Cujo, and Ed Belfour come to mind. Today, players like Kipper in Calgary, and maybe Luongo in Vancouver ( although he's been hearing the boo's ) are able withstand the pressure and succeed. Other goalies play in Canada for a season or two or three...before they move on, to a US city where they can play without the intense fan pressure. Others ( who crumble under the pressure ) like Gerber, just disappear completely from the league.

Play by Play types like Pierre MacGuire or Greg Millan, who go on and on about Price and how great he is.....only set the kid up for failure. They over-hype, and that leads to disappointment and excess pressure for kids like Price.

I feel bad for him. Sure, all pro athletes are well paid, but it's got to be tough to deal with the expectations on these players.

Gainey rolled the dice, and so far the bet isn't paying off. But, anything can happen. The Habs could go on a 6 game winning streak and everyone in Montreal would feel good again.

Times are good for Sens fans, but good times ( when you're a team trying to bounce back from a bad season and all the Heatley BS ) are precarious at best.

utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 02:36 PM
silver321

Quote:
Originally Posted by utah View Post
That may well be, and it would certainly be a step in the right direction after missing the playoffs last year.

As for Kovy and the Montreal Fans. He was an UFA, and Montreal chose not to re-sign him. I think those fans that cheered him, cheered him as a way of honoring his years as a Hab. There's no ill-will between Kovy and Montreal. He loves the City, and I'm sure he would have played there if he had been offered a contract.
BG offered him a contract... 4m-4.5m/year for 2 years if I remember well but his agent is greedy so it didnt work out.

silver321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 02:43 PM
Year 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by utah View Post

This isn't a Dany Heatley or Alexi Yashin type situation, where those players were either booed or will be booed when they play in Ottawa.

As for Kovy, I don't think he's that great a player...or even good value for the Sens at 10 Million over two season. But, the Sens signed him....and hopefully he works out for us. It was almost a sure thing that he would impact the game on his first return to Montreal, and he did. Now, he needs to keep doing it....because he's already had some nights when he was invisible in an Ottawa jersey.

As for the Habs. Injuries aside, The team is too small up front. You could see it the other night against Ottawa. When they needed to press....they couldn't, and they ran out of gas. Price hasn't been great either. Too much was laid on this kid's shoulders. The whole 'second coming of Patrick Roy' stuff, was going to be too much of a load to bear. Canadian Cities eat their goalies for lunch if they don't deliver, and Price is starting to see how quickly fans can turn....when the losses mount.

There have only been a handful of goalies over the years, that could handle the pressure of playing in Canada. Patrick Roy, Cujo, and Ed Belfour come to mind. Today, players like Kipper in Calgary, and maybe Luongo in Vancouver ( although he's been hearing the boo's ) are able withstand the pressure and succeed. Other goalies play in Canada for a season or two or three...before they move on, to a US city where they can play without the intense fan pressure. Others ( who crumble under the pressure ) like Gerber, just disappear completely from the league.

Play by Play types like Pierre MacGuire or Greg Millan, who go on and on about Price and how great he is.....only set the kid up for failure. They over-hype, and that leads to disappointment and excess pressure for kids like Price.

I feel bad for him. Sure, all pro athletes are well paid, but it's got to be tough to deal with the expectations on these players.

Gainey rolled the dice, and so far the bet isn't paying off. But, anything can happen. The Habs could go on a 6 game winning streak and everyone in Montreal would feel good again.

Times are good for Sens fans, but good times ( when you're a team trying to bounce back from a bad season and all the Heatley BS ) are precarious at best.
How has Price not paid off thus far? Yea he had a bad SECOnd HALF his first half was amazing, and this year to date he has been very solid for us despite the seemingly unconvincing numbers. He is a young young player who if you look at trends of goalies like cam ward and fleury didn't become elite until a few years after in the NHL. Meanwhile the Kovy situation should be well known by now he was offered an 8 mil 2 year contract and his agent used us to bargain up the price for his client and Gainey went for his plan B.. Gionta.

Year 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 04:24 PM
utah

I read the reports at the time, about what was offered back and forth between Gainey and Kovy's agents. It was reported that Gainey sweetened his deal to 10 million for two years, at Kovy's request.....and when Kovy didn't reply fast enough, Gainey went in a different direction.

But really...if you want a player badly enough that you offer 10 million/2 years, and you know that player wants to play in Montreal.....why the big switch in direction?

I guess Gainey had his reasons, but what I said was that Gainey never offered a contract. There may have been discussions.....and assumptions, but an apparent done deal was never completed. If you pull an offer, you're not offering the player a contract ( IMO ). In otherwords, you can't offer and not offer at the same time. Semantics perhaps, but that's how I see it.

As for Price. If you believe that he's playing well, that's fine. I think he's starting to buckle somewhat under the pressure, and there's a hole in a Vancouver dressing room for that reason. He looks kind of lost in interviews, and while he may have had a great first half last year.....what's his record been like since.

You say he's played steady this year. I'm not so sure.

You're right, he may bounce back. Others have, as you've correctly noted. But Cam Ward doesn't face the fan pressure that Carey Price faces, nor is the Carolina media anything like Montreal's. For that matter, neither does Fleury.

Carey Price has been hyped-up by the likes of MacGuire and Milan since Price's arrival in the league. I guess I'm wondering, if he can live up to the hype and survive the media pressure in Montreal.

I'm certainly not alone in that thought.

Last edited by utah: 10-19-2009 at 05:04 PM.
utah is offline   Reply With Quote