HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

LA needs solid 2nd line center

Old
10-18-2009, 11:28 PM
Silas Robertson
Hey, all in. Jack.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Well you aren't getting Brown, Smyth or Williams. Frolov is going to be dealt. Purcell could probably be had, same with Stoll who can play wing. Moller could be dealt too.
That's fine, we'll just keep Staal then...

So Frolov not re-signing is a given in your mind?

Silas Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 11:29 PM
JMFJ 3

I'm not a huge Jordan Staal fan, he's not a true #2 center. We'd be better off holding onto Stoll.

JMFJ 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 11:34 PM
Silas Robertson
Hey, all in. Jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFJ 3 View Post
I'm not a huge Jordan Staal fan, he's not a true #2 center. We'd be better off holding onto Stoll.
Okay, I'll play along. Who would you consider a "true #2 center" above Staal?

Old
10-18-2009, 11:45 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTisIT View Post
That's fine, we'll just keep Staal then...

So Frolov not re-signing is a given in your mind?
I'm one of many Kings fans that is of the opinion he will dealt.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 11:48 PM
Silas Robertson
Hey, all in. Jack.

Interesting... any idea what management would be after? Picks/prospects/roster players?

Old
10-18-2009, 11:50 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFJ 3 View Post
Not really. Jordan Staal's already better than Jarret Stoll and he's 6 years younger too.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 11:54 PM
Freaky Styley

who would be available?

colorado wouldn't necessarily have to mess with the top 6.. a young winger with a lot of promise would be the center piece.. how much promise does purcell have?

Freaky Styley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 12:09 AM
Paladin2799

I think that if LA has the ability to turn frolov into jordan staal I think that they should jump at the chance.

I am scared to think about the 1-2 punch that a kopitar-staal lineup would provide. both are huge and strong.

Paladin2799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 12:19 AM
Silas Robertson
Hey, all in. Jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin2799 View Post
I think that if LA has the ability to turn frolov into jordan staal I think that they should jump at the chance.

I am scared to think about the 1-2 punch that a kopitar-staal lineup would provide. both are huge and strong.
If the Shero refused to trade Staal for a Hossa rental, he surely wouldn't trade him for a Frolov rental.

Like has been said many, many times... the only way Staal goes is if a scoring winger of similar age and potential is being offered. Even then, it is hard to say if Shero would pull the tirgger, considering the importance of his role for the Pens.

Old
10-19-2009, 12:20 AM
redcard

Quote:
Interesting... any idea what management would be after? Picks/prospects/roster players?
Definitely not picks or prospects. LA's been stockpiling both for years and are now in the position to put them to work to put a roster together. The deal's Lombardi will probably be making will be trading a guy like Frolov + picks/prospects for a better player without creating a hole. So, for example, Frolov + 1st for (insert better LW here). This is the exact model that Lombardi used when he traded O'Sullivan + 2nd for Williams. He used some extra assets to upgrade a position without creating a hole in the lineup.

The same mold would be used if the kings were trying to upgrade their 2nd line center. Stoll + picks/prospects would be moved to a team for a better center. If (and I'm not completely convinced due to lack of knowledge) Staal truly does have 2nd line abilities, than this makes perfect sense. Staal could center the Kings 2nd line and Stoll could center the Pens 3rd line. Its just a matter of finding what combination of picks/prospects that would balance out the deal and that Lombardi would be comfortable giving up.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 12:23 AM
Silas Robertson
Hey, all in. Jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
Definitely not picks or prospects. LA's been stockpiling both for years and are now in the position to put them to work to put a roster together. The deal's Lombardi will probably be making will be trading a guy like Frolov + picks/prospects for a better player without creating a hole. So, for example, Frolov + 1st for (insert better LW here). This is the exact model that Lombardi used when he traded O'Sullivan + 2nd for Williams. He used some extra assets to upgrade a position without creating a hole in the lineup.

The same mold would be used if the kings were trying to upgrade their 2nd line center. Stoll + picks/prospects would be moved to a team for a better center. If (and I'm not completely convinced due to lack of knowledge) Staal truly does have 2nd line abilities, than this makes perfect sense. Staal could center the Kings 2nd line and Stoll could center the Pens 3rd line. Its just a matter of finding what combination of picks/prospects that would balance out the deal and that Lombardi would be comfortable giving up.
I don't think a deal like that makes sense for a contender. Why would a contender downgrade in a position just to add some picks/prospects?

And also, if LA is over the re-building stage, why trade Frolov at all? The concensus a couple years ago was that Frolov is the best all-around forward in the Kings organization. Has that sentiment changed?

Old
10-19-2009, 01:09 AM
redcard

Quote:
I don't think a deal like that makes sense for a contender. Why would a contender downgrade in a position just to add some picks/prospects?
Stoll's contract is the reason this doesn't make much sense. Ideally, when you downgrade a position its to save cap space. However in this situation they only really save 400k. Other than that, the "prospects" would probably be NHL ready and be a viable 4th line option now with potential to put up points on a line with Malkin/Crosby in the near future (someone like Moller/Lewis). Obviously it's still not perfect, but that's why it hasn't been done yet.

Quote:
And also, if LA is over the re-building stage, why trade Frolov at all? The concensus a couple years ago was that Frolov is the best all-around forward in the Kings organization. Has that sentiment changed?
Still true, Frolov is still the best all-around forward, the question is if he fits into Lombardi's mold. Lombardi has gone on record several times to say he doesn't want players who just want to come to LA for the weather and beaches and then not give 100% every game. There's still a question if Frolov is completely committed to winning. That's all still just speculation, add the fact that this is the last season on his contract and hasn't been extended yet, and the trade discussion flies. Personally, I'd prefer he be re-signed, but until that happens he'll be mentioned in every trade proposal.

Old
10-19-2009, 01:13 AM
northernKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
Neither Stajan nor Belanger (really?) would be a plus over Stoll. Plekanec can score presumably but his intangibles are lacking. Wolski is a huge question mark to me...very streaky. Roy would be too difficult to pry from Buffalo. Bergeron is the only one of those mentioned that might be reasonably attainable and beneficial for the Kings. Chances are, if you want that legit #2 C, we'd have to fork over Fro, so there goes your ideal 2nd line.

This may be completely out of left field BUT say we wait until Schenn is good and ready to take center stage (pun intended) and then we go win us a Stanley.

...You're right, that'll take too long. SELL THE FARM.
Belanger is alot more creative than Stoll and they both play solid two way hockey and PK

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DFAC

What about Horton?

Rumor is that he wants out of Florida...

DFAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Derek Roy

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 01:14 AM
northernKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sEmowashere View Post
Pens would love a number of LA's wingers.
IMO the pens would be wise to look at Svatos from Colorado. Soon to be UFA who has a snipers touch to play with Malkin

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 01:14 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

You can have Marleau for Doughty

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 02:14 AM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
Well ideally the center acquired would play with Frolov. Plus with Stajan and Frolov both being UFA I think LA could land some good picks/prospects/players for Frolov at the deadline if not in playoff picture
Considering Frolov already has a center in Handzus who ever would be acquired would play with Brown and Purcell. Frolov amd HaDdzus play the majority of time tofether. The only time they arent is on the PP.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 02:32 AM
tarlinian

How much would you be willing to give up for Pavelski?
I think he'd basically require something like Schenn+Drewiskie/Martinez+2nd, which you probably wouldn't be willing to give up. (This is admittedly rather hypothetical, as I doubt that we'd trade such a key player in the division.)

Before Sharks fans scream at me, note that I'm asking for Schenn, and we have Couture, who seems to me like he's going to Pavelski+, which amounts to a pretty good 2nd line center. He could probably step into that spot right now if we really needed (and had the cap space).

tarlinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 03:01 AM
redcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarlinian View Post
How much would you be willing to give up for Pavelski?
I think he'd basically require something like Schenn+Drewiskie/Martinez+2nd, which you probably wouldn't be willing to give up. (This is admittedly rather hypothetical, as I doubt that we'd trade such a key player in the division.)

Before Sharks fans scream at me, note that I'm asking for Schenn, and we have Couture, who seems to me like he's going to Pavelski+, which amounts to a pretty good 2nd line center. He could probably step into that spot right now if we really needed (and had the cap space).
The question on this kind of deal is timing. This is the kind of deal I see Lombardi making in order to turn the Kings from a fringe playoff team to a legitimate contender. What we're waiting on is when Lombardi would be comfortable trading a prospect like Schenn. He's stated several times that he will make these kind of deals (moving a 1st/former 1st round pick) its just a matter of when.

As for this exact deal, I don't know enough about Pavelski to judge the actual value.

Old
10-19-2009, 03:08 AM
Kazer

Nylander for a 7th.

In reality, would the Kings be interested in taking Nylander, and are there any players that the Kings would send back as a salary dump? I don't follow the Kings that closely, so I don't know how Handzus is currently valued and whether the Kings would even want to move him regardless of whether he is overpaid.

For the record, a Handzus / Nylander built trade would result in a net result of about .875 million in cap space going to the Kings, and the actual salaries would be almost even. Both players have contracts that expire after next season. Nylander currently has a NMC, but that expires this summer.

Kazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 03:41 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Comrie and Gilbert for Frolov + ?

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 09:18 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
What about Horton?

Rumor is that he wants out of Florida...
Horton is a winger, LA are in a difficult situation because they need to acquire a true second line centre not a tweener like Stajan or Belanger. Plekanec might not be a bad idea he has shown he is capable of putting up good numbers but Montreal will want a good centre or centre prospect back in return.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 09:23 AM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Patrice Bergeron, Dennis Wideman + BOS 1st in 2010 for Doughty and Frolov

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 09:27 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Edwards View Post
Patrice Bergeron, Dennis Wideman + BOS 1st in 2010 for Doughty and Frolov
You could add toronto's first and take out frolov and Kings would still say no.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote