HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Coyotes recall Porter

Old
10-16-2009, 07:38 PM
kingbrutis

vCash: 500
Coyotes recall Porter

GLENDALE, ARIZONA --- Phoenix Coyotes General Manager Don Maloney announced today that the Coyotes have recalled forward Kevin Porter from their American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate, the San Antonio Rampage.

Porter, 23, has collected 2-5-7 and four penalty minutes (PIM) in five games for the Rampage this season. The 5-foot-11, 190-pound Porter recorded 5-5-10 and four PIM in 34 games for the Coyotes last season and collected 13-22-35 and 14 PIM in 42 games with San Antonio.

Porter won the 2008 Hobey Baker Award as college hockey’s top player as a senior at the University of Michigan. Porter ranked 2nd in the nation in scoring by collecting 33-30-63 in 43 games and led Michigan to its 23rd Frozen Four appearance in school history while also serving as team captain. Following the completion of the college season, Porter joined San Antonio for the 2008 Calder Cup Playoffs and collected four assists in seven games.

A native of Northville, Mich., Porter was originally drafted by the Coyotes in the fourth round (119th overall) of the 2004 Entry Draft.

kingbrutis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 07:41 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

The hellalala is going on?!?!?!?

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 08:06 PM
indczn

Pyatt wasn't ready. Thats my guess.

indczn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2009, 10:24 PM
hao chi

Any chance he'll play wing on Lombardi's or Lang's line?

hao chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 12:31 AM
lanky

I think Maloney's statement on Boedker makes it clear what kind of role Porter will be playing with the Coyotes for now.

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/recap.ht...id=DL|PHX|home

Quote:
Looking at the first five games, he was averaging eight-and-a-half minutes per game and for a 19-year-old that’s just not enough,” Maloney said. “Right now, with the mix of our group and Taylor Pyatt coming back, it was clear he was going to be in that fourth-line, extra-forward category for now … and we’re just determined that if you’re young and not playing here on a regular basis, you are going to go down to San Antonio. In Mike’s case, I think it will be good for him to get all of that situational playing time. He really wasn’t on any special teams at this stage right now and you can’t develop players that way...It's just a really hard league for a 19-year-old. If he was 22, he’d still be here as an extra player.

lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 01:35 AM
lockstock

I like this.
We're doing things based on merit instead of names or expectations.
Goodbye Gretz! Hello slim chance of saving this franchise!

lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 09:03 AM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

I would guess Winnik will be scratched tonight. Would be nice if Porter gets in the game against tne Redwings since he's from Michigan and hates the Red Wings!

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 09:44 AM

If Pyatt is out, then I'm betting we see Porter with Lang & Doan. I'm really hoping they put him in a scoring role on the top 3 lines and not a defensive role on the 4th line.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 12:30 PM
hbk

I just can't get on the Pyatt bandwagon just yet. I hope he's going to become the next 20 - 30 goal power forward on this club but I've always been left wanting more every time I've seen this kid play. He'll tease you with a 3 point game every now and then only to disappear for months at a time. Keep in mind I lived in Vancouver and my brother is a huge Sabres fan so I've always kept on eye on his development/play whether or not I really liked it.

As for the thread itself. Glad to see Porter on the squad. He's better suited to the 3rd/4th line role. I would not be shocked if he winds up on a scoring line in a support capacity at some point as soon as the Pyatt experiment finishes.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 12:48 PM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
He'll tease you with a 3 point game every now and then only to disappear for months at a time.
The nice thing about our team right now is every player on the team works so hard, Pyatt will stick out like a soar thumb if he starts floating around. Just like Mueller did the first few games, which forced him to step up and have an excellent performance against St Louis.

I hope Pyatt works out. But we're not depending on him. If he doesn't perform, there are other guys more than willing to take his spot.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 04:40 PM
PHX FireBirds18

I was surprised when Porter was sent down. I thought his play in the preseason earned him a roster spot initially. I'm glad to see him back up.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 02:33 AM
agrudez*

I was just curious why Viktor Tikhonov was not the player called up. He is older, has more NHL experience (and stats) and is playing well thus far in the AHL. To be honest, I was surprised he was put in the AHL at all. Is there something I am missing with this situation?

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 02:36 AM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
I was just curious why Viktor Tikhonov was not the player called up. He is older, has more NHL experience (and stats) and is playing well thus far in the AHL. To be honest, I was surprised he was put in the AHL at all. Is there something I am missing with this situation?
Tiki isn't a center, porter gives more versatility whether he plays the middle or the wing.

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 02:44 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
J-Rock in the house!

Quote:
I don't believe Tikhonov should have been recalled. For one he is younger, not older, and to me did not show a scoring instinct much at all in the NHL last season. Tiki had 16 points in 61 games.

Porter on the other hand played really well early last season with the NHL club then hit a major slump. I still maintain he never should have been sent down in the first place. Even with the slump he had 10 points in 34 games.

To compare them right now I think Porter is simply a more complete NHL player at this time. Tiki is probably better defensively but that is not overly significant to me given how this team has played on D so far. Porter has a clear edge on offense for now as far as I'm concerned.

As for why Tikhonov was sent down, It just seems to go to the organizational philosophy these days of taking time with young players.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 07:51 AM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
Tiki isn't a center, porter gives more versatility whether he plays the middle or the wing.
Tikhonov can play all 3 positions as well.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 12:24 PM
Bandit34

That was quick. Porter was demoted to San Antonio this morning.

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm...id=DL|PHX|home

Bandit34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 12:49 PM
Kaizen

Might as well have him playing hockey - he'll probably get to know the San Antonio-Phoenix shuffle quite well this year.

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 01:16 PM
Alamo

You think he did it just to scare some of the players into playing better?

Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 01:25 PM
indczn

It was mentioned on the radio pregame yesterday that he was called up to cover if someone with the flu couldn't play. Hard to tell given the teams play last night.

With 4 days until the redwings game, it makes no sense to keep porter around.

indczn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 01:37 PM
Mayo Taco Monday

vCash: 510
Send a message via MSN to Mayo Taco Monday
Quote:
Originally Posted by indczn View Post
It was mentioned on the radio pregame yesterday that he was called up to cover if someone with the flu couldn't play. Hard to tell given the teams play last night.

With 4 days until the redwings game, it makes no sense to keep porter around.
according to Yandle on the official website, the sicko was Doan. Obviously, it didn't affect his play at all. In fact, I am beginning to think that Doan plays better when sick or injured.

Mayo Taco Monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 01:43 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Doan was apparently battling the flu for the past 2 days, but eventually decided he was good to go against the Bruins.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 02:34 PM
yakko

Quote:
I think you basically got your answer, but I'll pile on just a little bit. Porter is not only a more complete player, but also knows how to keep his head up. Tikhonov shows a lot effort, plays pretty well defensively and has some clear offensive skill with the puck, Porter is just by far the headier player. Porter has better vision not only for the pass but for where to go in the offensive zone. Porter is also the better passer. Finally, while Tikhonov gets blown up on a regular basis watching the puck too much Porter can avoid or at least be prepared to take a hit which is a vital skill in the NHL.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 04:33 PM
SH1VERmeT1MBERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
I think you basically got your answer, but I'll pile on just a little bit. Porter is not only a more complete player, but also knows how to keep his head up. Tikhonov shows a lot effort, plays pretty well defensively and has some clear offensive skill with the puck, Porter is just by far the headier player. Porter has better vision not only for the pass but for where to go in the offensive zone. Porter is also the better passer. Finally, while Tikhonov gets blown up on a regular basis watching the puck too much Porter can avoid or at least be prepared to take a hit which is a vital skill in the NHL.
What he said.

SH1VERmeT1MBERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 05:41 AM
ower

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
Doan was apparently battling the flu for the past 2 days, but eventually decided he was good to go against the Bruins.
Hope he wasn't still contagious. LA has something like 4 or 5 players down due to the flu.

ower is offline   Reply With Quote