HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

trade deadline

Old
10-19-2009, 03:43 AM
clementnorman

vCash: 500
trade deadline

if we continue at this pace we will be sellers at the dead line. how much are our guys worth. whitney second rounder, corvo second rounder,cullen third and ward third.

clementnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 06:47 AM
Skydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by clementnorman View Post
if we continue at this pace we will be sellers at the dead line. how much are our guys worth. whitney second rounder, corvo second rounder,cullen third and ward third.
wow, premature imo.

Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 07:35 AM
txpd

Two Ward's...right? Aaron Ward with his cup experience and as a defenseman, would be worth more than a 3rd. BTW....Carolina makes the playoffs. A coach may lose his job in the process and Roddy may lose his minutes, but they still make the playoffs.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 08:44 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

A new coach and a creative trade would make all the difference in the world to this team

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 08:55 AM
GIN ANTONIC

We can hire back Lavi to jump start he offense. Trade Erik Cole for Justin Williams or something like that. Next year do the opposite.

I think this is still premature. There some changes made in the offseason an injuries have been less than helpful so far this year. But I'm putting the team on a short leash. I don't want another season like after the cup where we were all like "They'll pick it up. We're still in the hunt blah blah blah...". I need to see some results by the end of october.

IF we are out of it at the deadline I wouldn't be opposed to trading whitney although I'd love him to finish his career here. If he's on pace for another 60+ point year then a 2nd is a shoe in. I don't think we should trade Corvo unless we're absolutely positive that he's not coming back next year. We can't have Pits as the only (and I mean only) D-man who can skate with the puck and dish it to our forwards to bring some offense. Not to mention his shot on the point. Ward I could see trading to a contender and getting a 2nd for. I'd be very into this as I'm sure he'd just with us anyway in the offseason for like 1.5 per or something. Cullen should probably be dealt as well because I don't see him coming back next year. We need to bring up some of the young guys and he isn't a legit 2nd line center. He's good at what he does but he's just not consistent enough to carry a 2nd line for a whole season. Anyway, that's my thoughts. Maybe even with Alberts big pay increase next year we could deal him but that night not garner much interest and maybe I jsut need to see a bit more of him before I judge, but he hasn't impressed me this year.

GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 09:06 AM
QuitStaaling

Send a message via AIM to QuitStaaling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
A new coach and a creative trade would make all the difference in the world to this team
I agree. Now we're stuck with Mo for a little while and will have to wait until next season for the 2nd and 3rd tier players that will replace our current 2nd and 3rd tier players. Chicago better be all over JR's radar. Sharp and Dustin deserve a hard look from us. Wish we could nab Nathan Horton. He and Staal would be a heck of a team.

QuitStaaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 09:28 AM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitStaaling View Post
Chicago better be all over JR's radar. Sharp and Dustin deserve a hard look from us. Wish we could nab Nathan Horton. He and Staal would be a heck of a team.
Byfuglien? How does he solve any of our problems? Ya, he's willing to go to the net and he's a big body but he doesn't have anywhere near the amount of offensive talent we need to be looking for.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 09:32 AM
QuitStaaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
Byfuglien? How does he solve any of our problems? Ya, he's willing to go to the net and he's a big body but he doesn't have anywhere near the amount of offensive talent we need to be looking for.

Plus he's on course for 35-40 goals playing beside Bolland. He would be no help at all.

Old
10-19-2009, 10:20 AM
GIN ANTONIC

Quote:
Plus he's on course for 35-40 goals playing beside Bolland. He would be no help at all.
If he keeps up that pace and does hit 35-40 goals you can be sure that we won't even get a sniff of him. Sharp I would love to get. Would be like getting back J-Wills. We'll have a lot of cash coming off the books with Corvo, Whitney, Cullen, Walker, Wallin. At least 3 of them won't be back and I can't see Whitney coming back for that kind of money. Corvo, as I've said I'd like to see back for around his salary. For what he brings I think 2.5 is very reasonable. Anyway it's all speculation at this point.

GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 10:52 AM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Maybe try watching people play before using stats to try and prove a point. Especially projections.

Just an idea.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 10:55 AM
Obi Wan LaRosie

Send a message via AIM to Obi Wan LaRosie Send a message via Yahoo to Obi Wan LaRosie
If the Canes dont do their best to keep Corvo they are insane. He is by far the most athletic player we have, and equals Joni in offensive ability.

Obi Wan LaRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 11:24 AM
QuitStaaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
Maybe try watching people play before using stats to try and prove a point. Especially projections.

Just an idea.

He's got skills.......I've seen them on youtube and highlite reels.

Old
10-19-2009, 11:27 AM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
I'm not a fan of this. Give Mo time. He's not the best coach in the world but he's man who knows team. Guys like Cam, Gleason, Pitkanen, Ruutu really plays excellent since Mo joins club again.

But i agree for trade. I'm pretty sure this team will look different even we add guys like Kobasew. I mean not superstar not big point producer, just new face who wants to play. This will take effect and team will look different in nexts game. No matters who will we add.

It's early but i don't know for Corvo. I think he will ask for too much - 3,5-4,5. He don't deserves this money.

Like i said, if we are not in playoff position/ position to battle for spot, in deadline JR must trade our veterans. We can add some young player or prospect and give them chance to play 10-15 game. I'm not for picks honestly. With our history and our luck they will be waste .

Get younger, get faster, starts rebuild soon, JR. This team going nowhere with Whitney, Walker, A. Ward, Wallin... don't hate me for this, i love every of this guys, just i think for Carolina.

edit: It's time JR find new Justin Williams. I mean to make a deal who becomes a steal. Justin Williams was a tallented player but he was pratty poor in Flyers.... and he becomes real deal in our team.

Last edited by imayagainknowanson: 10-19-2009 at 11:47 AM.
imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 12:07 PM
bleedgreen

not sure this isthe right thread, but with mentions of coaching im going with it. remember when they hired mo back? what was the first thing out of his mouth? "i promise.....no trap!" with a chuckle and a grin as if the thought was ludicrous. then he adds a "defensive scheme" to shore things up last season. our off season moves then are to add kotso, yelle, ward and alberts while losing eaves, seids, and babs. last game i couldnt help but notice we trapped at least half the game.

wtf.

not enjoying watching canes hockey this year, even when we win. we are a boring defensive trapping team just like the first time with mo. i said this when they fired lavi....i would rather lose playiung lavi's style then be middling and squeeking occasionally into the playoffs every year while trapping. making playoff runs means nothing to me, to be honest. i hate defensive boring trap hockey. i get you have to do it in the playoffs but doing it now is making me keep other games on the "back" button of the remote.

lavi's style needed more defensive shape, i know it did - but this extreme flip flopping of styles is not something i enjoy. something in the middle has to be attainable.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 12:10 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Let us not forget that we have played perhaps 4 of the best teams in the East out of our 7 games. The only "ugly loss" was to the Lightning. Yes, it would have been nice to get some more wins but the schedule is about to lighten up in a big way. Our next 4 games are incredibly winnable.

I can deal with losses to the Flyers, Penguins, and Devils. What I will be unable to understand will be losses to the Islanders, Wild, and Avalanche.

The early schedule was incredibly unkind and to a degree, a slow start was to be expected.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 12:30 PM
clementnorman

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
I'm not a fan of this. Give Mo time. He's not the best coach in the world but he's man who knows team. Guys like Cam, Gleason, Pitkanen, Ruutu really plays excellent since Mo joins club again.

But i agree for trade. I'm pretty sure this team will look different even we add guys like Kobasew. I mean not superstar not big point producer, just new face who wants to play. This will take effect and team will look different in nexts game. No matters who will we add.

It's early but i don't know for Corvo. I think he will ask for too much - 3,5-4,5. He don't deserves this money.

Like i said, if we are not in playoff position/ position to battle for spot, in deadline JR must trade our veterans. We can add some young player or prospect and give them chance to play 10-15 game. I'm not for picks honestly. With our history and our luck they will be waste .

Get younger, get faster, starts rebuild soon, JR. This team going nowhere with Whitney, Walker, A. Ward, Wallin... don't hate me for this, i love every of this guys, just i think for Carolina.

edit: It's time JR find new Justin Williams. I mean to make a deal who becomes a steal. Justin Williams was a tallented player but he was pratty poor in Flyers.... and he becomes real deal in our team.

no way corvo asks for 4.5. Since 2001 this team has drafted very well. especially the last 3 years, (murphy in the 6th bowman in the 3rd dalpe in second carson in the 3rd chaput in the 5th and terry in the 5th.)those are not even any first rounders. and everyone wants to find the next Jwill. And you dont start a rebuild when 3 of top 4 players are 26 and younger. If we are not in contention come january, we need to trade all our older guys with expiring deals for picks and prospects. that way we have tools to use this offseason as far as trading or just keep the picks. then they money saved by not paying the extra 2-3 salary would maybe help karmanos feel a little better about spending some money. atleast we know boychuk bowman sutter and murphy are legit prospects after they showed up big time so early in the first pro seasons(not sutters first). also peters carson rodney dodge and chaput have shown some nhl potential.

we have a chance to make the playoffs still thats for sure. lets see how much of a difference pitkanen really makes now because this offense has been horrible. also missing cole hurts badly beucase everyone gets bumped up lines. I hope we try calling up boychuk bowman chaput or dwyer to take conboys spot. if its either of the first two guys put walker on the 4th line and let them work top 9 min.

clementnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 02:36 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Sry, I've never been a Mo fan and while drinking and celebrating last year's run, I said to myself, "Are we selling our future because Mo is definitely coming back "

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 02:46 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

LOL this is way too early. We didn't even know whether to be buyers or sellers at the deadline last year and we went on to the conference finals. We've already been without Colesy and Pits for the majority of the season. I think we will be okay. My only concerns are how immobile the defense looks so far and the lack of scoring depth.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 03:00 PM
QuitStaaling

Apparently Frolov is a healthy scratch tonight. Interesting.

Old
10-19-2009, 03:13 PM
DoomMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAINIAC View Post
We can hire back Lavi to jump start he offense. Trade Erik Cole for Justin Williams or something like that. Next year do the opposite.
I laughed at first, and then I started to worry that this could end up being reality.

I'm joking, but we need to bring in someone eventually to help create some scoring other than recycling parts.

DoomMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 03:23 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

Quote:
Apparently Frolov is a healthy scratch tonight. Interesting.
I know it will never happen, but I'm going to start dreaming again.

10-19-2009, 03:31 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Apparently, Frolov has ethic problems and this is not something new. According to Murray he had issues with coaches in the past.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=295401

I am thinking Montreal will take him. Samsonov, Grabovski, Sergei Kostitsyn - Habs need to continue a great tradition of taking lazy, narcissistic Russian forwards aboard. (actually, the latter two are from Belarus but it's close enough)

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 03:34 PM
QuitStaaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
Apparently, Frolov has ethic problems and this is not something new. According to Murray he had issues with coaches in the past.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=295401

I am thinking Montreal will take him. Samsonov, Grabovski, Sergei Kostitsyn - Habs need to continue a great tradition of taking lazy, narcissistic Russian forwards aboard. (actually, the latter two are from Belarus but it's close enough)
We have a history of polishing turds. He would fit in nice.

Old
10-19-2009, 05:00 PM
Caniac12

LA fans think LaRose, Bowman, and a 2nd would be enough for Frolov.

Caniac12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 05:17 PM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
Countdown to Seguin?

I would kill for him to be a Cane.

To Boston
Staal
C. Ward