HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers inform MDZ,AA,Gilroy and Boyle to find apartments

Old
10-19-2009, 06:59 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Rangers inform MDZ,AA,Gilroy and Boyle to find apartments

Quote:
With tonight's Garden match against San Jose the Rangers' ninth of the year and thus the final game that Michael Del Zotto can play before this season kicks in against his Entry Level contract, The Post has learned that the 19-year-old defenseman will be moving.

No, not back to the OHL Hello? but out of the hotel in which he has been staying and into a more permanent place of residence, for Rangers management has given that green light to Del Zotto and to fellow rookies Matt Gilroy and Artem Anisimov as well as to Brian Boyle.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...yAhaKnh4XqVLlI

No more room service for you.

More from LB

Quote:
The Wade Redden-Matt Gilroy defense pair has not been on the ice for an even-strength goal-against the last four games, going plus-four. Gilroy has not yet been on the ice for a power play goal.
Guess Gilroy can find his way in his own zone afterall.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 07:08 AM
Chimp

It was expected by all I guess. All four have played good enough to earn a spot.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 07:37 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

What he lacks in positional play, he makes up for in his skating ability which seems to enable him to stay with shifty forwards or quickly cover someone. It's kind of cool to see forwards go one on one against him and he's able to change directions and speeds just about as good as they and be able to stay with them.

Who would have thought Gilroy would be the defensive stud out of Del Zotto and Gilroy?

(I know he still has a lot to work on, but it's interesting to see how he's managed to use his abilities to overcome his rookie shortcomings)

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 08:07 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i think gilroy has been ok positionally, but im very concerned about his lack of upper body strength...he has got to be the weakest player on the boards that we have on the entire friggin roster.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 08:39 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Redden and Gilroy, defensive stalwarts. Who saw that coming?

Congrats to MDZ, Artem and Gilroy. And good for Boyle.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 08:47 AM
ohbaby

Was there any doubt about MDZ or the others, the way we been playing?

But for MDZ to be leading the League in scoring for D-men,... who would have thought?

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 08:48 AM
Washington Capitals

Definitely expected.

Washington Capitals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 08:50 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Good for them. MDZ and Gilroy have exceeded expectations, AA has played solidly while adjusting to the NHL level, and Boyle has been serviceable as our 4C. Congrats all around.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 08:55 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
Was there any doubt about MDZ or the others, the way we been playing?

But for MDZ to be leading the League in scoring for D-men,... who would have thought?
Didn't Joe Micheletti hedge his bets on a post game show last week about the Rangers having until game 9 to make their decision? He did.

Matt Duchene is staying in Colorado. No word on Ryan O'Reilly yet.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 09:53 AM
LetsGoBlueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Redden and Gilroy, defensive stalwarts. Who saw that coming?
This had me laughing. Good stuff.

Keep it up Wade and Gilroy!

LetsGoBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 10:29 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Nice to hear. Hope that'll boost them for tonight.

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 11:03 AM
dank

awesome..

i'm looking for apartments too. guys need a roommate?

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 11:21 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Gilroy has really impressed me with his defensive play, especially in his own zone. He stepped up big in the Kings game, and i thought it went relatively unnoticed.

But like i said before the season started I will be surprised if it lasts the whole season. Playing 35-40 games in college every year is tough preparation for a full NHL season. I dont think hell fall off the map completely, because he is in good shape and the olympic break should help as well. But his lack of body mass will catch up with him because teams will start to pound him on a nightly basis, especially when we get into some of the big division games. But i have been very impressed with his play even though he has only one point. The offense will start to come IMO.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 11:24 AM
haveandare

I can't say that I expected MDZ to be the big offensive D man out of the two, but I'm happy with it. Good for all of these guys, they have been playing huge hockey for their experience level.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 11:27 AM
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
What he lacks in positional play, he makes up for in his skating ability which seems to enable him to stay with shifty forwards or quickly cover someone. It's kind of cool to see forwards go one on one against him and he's able to change directions and speeds just about as good as they and be able to stay with them.

Who would have thought Gilroy would be the defensive stud out of Del Zotto and Gilroy?

(I know he still has a lot to work on, but it's interesting to see how he's managed to use his abilities to overcome his rookie shortcomings)
he's a surprise on the pk

BKBlackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 11:31 AM
Levitate

Gilroy doesn't really lack "body mass", but he may just need to improve his upper body strength, or simply get better at positioning along the boards. A huge part of being good on the boards is knowing how to position yourself. A not so big guy who isn't amazingly strong can still do great work on the boards if he knows how to position himself.

Tyutin was great at board work because he knew how to use positioning to keep opposing players away from the puck/seperate them from the puck. Give Gilroy some time to learn that and he'll be fine

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 11:44 AM
ColonialsHockey10

I had a dream last night that Boyle would be out for 12 months with a hip injury, and I was not happy about it. When I read this post I originally thought "why the hell would they keep him with the big club if he isn't going to skate this season"? Im glad he's made it, and obviously with the others I'm happy as well.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 11:59 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Gilroy doesn't really lack "body mass", but he may just need to improve his upper body strength, or simply get better at positioning along the boards. A huge part of being good on the boards is knowing how to position yourself. A not so big guy who isn't amazingly strong can still do great work on the boards if he knows how to position himself.

Tyutin was great at board work because he knew how to use positioning to keep opposing players away from the puck/seperate them from the puck. Give Gilroy some time to learn that and he'll be fine
Sean Avery comes to mind. Good point.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Gilroy has really impressed me with his defensive play, especially in his own zone. He stepped up big in the Kings game, and i thought it went relatively unnoticed.

But like i said before the season started I will be surprised if it lasts the whole season. Playing 35-40 games in college every year is tough preparation for a full NHL season. I dont think hell fall off the map completely, because he is in good shape and the olympic break should help as well. But his lack of body mass will catch up with him because teams will start to pound him on a nightly basis, especially when we get into some of the big division games. But i have been very impressed with his play even though he has only one point. The offense will start to come IMO.

Agreed about the college preperation, but it should be noted that BU employs Michael Boyle, one of the most respected strength and conditioning coaches for its hockey team. He was the Bruins strength and conditioning coach for 8 seasons, and runs his program to prepare the kids for the next level. It was no accident that Gilroy was in the best shape out of everybody at camp.

http://www.strengthcoach.com/public/791.cfm

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 12:23 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ogrodnick View Post
Agreed about the college preperation, but it should be noted that BU employs Michael Boyle, one of the most respected strength and conditioning coaches for its hockey team. He was the Bruins strength and conditioning coach for 8 seasons, and runs his program to prepare the kids for the next level. It was no accident that Gilroy was in the best shape out of everybody at camp.

http://www.strengthcoach.com/public/791.cfm
Didnt know that. Good find.

But even if hes in top shape, nothing prepares you for a grueling 82 game (and beyond hopefully) schedule that youve never experienced before... But this certainly helps. Like i said, i dont think hell fall off the map and be benched, but there will be a plateau period and hell have to fight through that.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Didnt know that. Good find.

But even if hes in top shape, nothing prepares you for a grueling 82 game (and beyond hopefully) schedule that youve never experienced before... But this certainly helps. Like i said, i dont think hell fall off the map and be benched, but there will be a plateau period and hell have to fight through that.
It definitely concerns me as well, but I do like the way his minutes are being managed thus far. What the Rangers really need is a 7th defenseman who can step in when Gilroy or Del Zotto needs a night off and a different perspective on the game, which is certainly going to happen over the course of the season.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 01:01 PM
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram

i'm not worried about gilroy or del zotto burning out too much...this coaching staff stresses how to be a professional to the youth alot. if they follow through the success will continue.

i.e. Callahan

BKBlackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ogrodnick View Post
It definitely concerns me as well, but I do like the way his minutes are being managed thus far. What the Rangers really need is a 7th defenseman who can step in when Gilroy or Del Zotto needs a night off and a different perspective on the game, which is certainly going to happen over the course of the season.
There's the Olympic break which will help. Also, I wouldn't mind getting Sangs and/or Heineken in there for 10 games, letting Gilroy and DZ rest 5 games each (one game at a time, obviously).

We have options if the two rookies need rest or just to sit and watch to learn by seeing how others do it.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 03:32 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

This is great news. I'm so excited about MDZ. Can he keep up his PP/G totals, probably not, that'd be frickin insane, but so far, playing only 15mins a game and leading the league in defensive scoring is fantastic. This kid has made his case, loud and clear that he's not going back the Jrs. I can't get over that he's been as good as he has.

I'm surprised a vet hasn't opened their home to one of the youngsters to stay with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
As a big unknown I was concerned about his defensive play. So far, I'm very happy with all of his play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKBlackRanger View Post
i'm not worried about gilroy or del zotto burning out too much...this coaching staff stresses how to be a professional to the youth alot. if they follow through the success will continue.
Torts is a damn fine coach and very good at developing players. MDZ is only averaging 15mins a game and that will go a long way down the stretch of a season.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 03:56 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

Congrats to AA, MDZ, Gilroy and Boyle! . Or young core is starting to look great!

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote