HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Young D-man for a veteran.

Old
10-17-2009, 05:33 PM
flyersfan187

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
How much is Witt making? I would like to get another bruiser back there and he is a decent player still right? I don't watch too many Islander games. But he did destroy a penguin this season so thats a plus

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2009, 06:30 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
OKT is here to replace Jones, that's still the plan, and he isn't going anywhere soon. Allow him to play a series of games before you start all this whining.

In fact, I think he'll sign another three years with the Flyers when this season is over
That's fine if he replaces Jones. I said I am ok with him as the #6. But if Parent is out for an extended period of time I am not ok with Syvret and OKT as the third pairing. And, frankly, I would rather trade for a better player than OKT and use OKT as the 7th D-man. Is that such a shocking statement?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 08:02 AM
Wolfy*
The Hobbit Rules!

Only that you should allow a player to play some games and see how he works before you want him replaced. And there's no point in replacing OKT unless you want a guy with a lot more skill. But they don't come cheap, how much do you actually want to pay a 6th guy?

Anyway, I hear OKT will play the next three games paired with Syvret. I can understand those of you who are concerned, one hasn't played much as a flyer and the other is totally green up here. But maybe it works just fine, I remember they played very well together in a preseason game, fingers crossed.

Wolfy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 08:32 AM
kicksave27

Okay, remember last year. Flyers loose 2 men to injury, trade for 2 dmen, 2 hurt dmen come back, homer keeps all of them, cap space goes poof. So Parent is hurt, do you really want homer to trade for a vet dman for around 2mil, then when parent comes back he'll do what, keep the vet, OKT and syvert on the roster like last year and salary cap tap dance begins? Soldier on with OKT and syvret on the 3rd pair, one of the glut of AHL Dmen can be the 7th guy. Parent comes back, OKT isn't as rusty and becomes a more capable 7th, or outplays syvret and the flyers still have some cap wiggle room.

If homer tries to recall jones, press the fire button immediately btw.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 08:50 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
A) You can go shop a new player because of an injury. It is what teams do. I am not saying if Parent is out for a week to find someone else, but if he is gonna be out a month, then yes, find someone else because OKT and Syvret are not a defensive pairing that will help this team.

B) OKT is an alright defenseman and so is Syvret. But they are just alright. If the injury bug bites (which it will even if Parent is back for the next game) having one of them as a backup is ok, but having them as the starters is not. When Parent is healthy it is ok to have one of them in playing on that third pairing, but I would rather have a better guy out there with Parent and OKT as the 7th guy and send Syvret back to the A. I think the Flyers have a deep enough system with young defensemen that they can afford to trade one of them now for another D-man to play with Parent (or for him while he is injured).
if okt and syvret were ok then they wou; dbe playing more. syvret is an ahl dman. period. okt just isn that good and is a 6/7 guy. period.

they need to add a vet to play with paraet anyway. having parent with those 2 is hurting his game. i would sign chelios in a second to play 12-14 minutes a night with parent. chelious could help him a lot. devries is also available.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 08:53 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
After looking at the Phantoms' number of d-men available I think we should definitely make a trade. 9 d-men? Come on. Between Tollefsen, Jones, Powe, Ratchuk, Curry, Cote, and maybe even Coburn a good trade could be worked out.
are you for real? do you realize those guys you mentioned will nto get you anythign of value. coburnis th eonly one.

curry, cote, rqtchuk, lol, all ahl caliber players. your post is comical

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 09:14 AM
Gert B Frobe

I think that third pairing will come around as Tollefsen gets healthier and used to the minutes and Syvret gains more experience.

They're 3-2-1 and playing just ok. I think it will take a couple more weeks playing every other day before they get their feet under them. Having a guy like Pronger eat up 25 minutes a night is a good thing but it has completely changed the way this team has to play. Given that and the fact that their coach has no system it's going to take some time for the team to adjust to Pronger's system.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 09:50 AM
DUHockey9

We should be fine surviving a handful (or two) of games without Parent. If OKT and Syvret struggle, call up a young guy and give him a chance. I don't want a repeat of last year where we put ourself in cap trouble.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 04:37 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Only that you should allow a player to play some games and see how he works before you want him replaced. And there's no point in replacing OKT unless you want a guy with a lot more skill. But they don't come cheap, how much do you actually want to pay a 6th guy?

Anyway, I hear OKT will play the next three games paired with Syvret. I can understand those of you who are concerned, one hasn't played much as a flyer and the other is totally green up here. But maybe it works just fine, I remember they played very well together in a preseason game, fingers crossed.
I'd be fine paying more for a 6th D-man. They have about $1.75 mil to work with and the trade would either send some salary the other way or make Syvret's $.575 million go away. I think OKT is only making $1 mil. If the Flyers traded an AHL D-man and either Carcillo/Cote/Asham (let's face it, we don't need all three of those guys, though I do like all of them) and MAYBE a draft pick there would be enough room to grab a guy in the sub $2.5 mil range. That would fit nicely under the cap. Parent + the veteran D-man (I would like to see Jordan Leopold from Florida. $1.75 mil. Good player, doesn't take a lot of penalties, and will chip in the occasional goal) would be a good pairing. Then you have OKT as the 7th and send Syvret down to the AHL. I doubt this will happen, but I'm saying it would be a good move if it did.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 10:22 PM
ilovetheflyers8

I think we have a god mix of vets and non-vets on this team, I don't think that's a real issue.

edit: According to "On The Fly" Parent is predicted to be out for 10 days. If this turns out to be true that's only 3-4 games. Granted it would be nice to win those games- especially for the forth one which is against the Caps, but I don't know if that amount of time is worth a roster change.

edit 2: I like the idea mentioned here for a line up to cover for Parent being out

http://www.flyersgoalscoredby.com/20...e-changes.html

Quote:
Pronger - Syvret
Timonen - Carle
Coburn - Tollefsen
-Though now that I think about it, I'm not sure about Syvret getting top minutes. Forcing, Coburn to try to be more responsible, as he has to watch out for Syvret, and cutting back on his time might be good.

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 10-19-2009 at 12:14 AM.
ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 10:35 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Any team that trades a guy like Volchenkov doesn't deserve to win the Cup.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 12:47 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Any team that trades a guy like Volchenkov doesn't deserve to win the Cup.
This is the same team that let Chara walk in favor of Redden.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 05:12 AM
captainpaxil

if theres a good side to the scheduling its that there will be fewer games missed early in the year due to injury. parent could only wind up missing 3 or 4 games.

the difficulty is that with parent injured the insurance on coburn is lapsed. we knew we could plug bernie in there not so much with okt. give them some games to figure things out. unless this becomes a recurring thing (and groins do) we dont have anything to worry about yet. the plan was to rotate and well rotate.

but if tolly can go in and play and bang bodies he could well find himself next to timo later on. coburn is by far the more talented player but if he isnt bringing all those tools to the table id rather just have okt bring the nasty and have kimo cover for the rest. this is an opportunity for okt to show he can play effective minutes for us and to show how a strong physical presence can win games. how he plays this early in the season will give the guys confidence in him later on in the season if coburn continues to backslide

i wouldnt make any moves yet for now lets just wait and see. i wanna see how all the peices fit before i go thinking about what and whether we need to add.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 06:06 AM
Wolfy*
The Hobbit Rules!

Quote:
Pronger - Syvret
Timonen - Carle
Coburn - Tollefsen

This guy obviously wants Syvret killed. You can't force a rookie with no experience to play heavy minutes with Pronger, ridiculous idea. And Coburn knows he has to pick up his game, no need to put him on the 3rd, will only make it worse.

Stevens doesn't trust Syvret anyway. Look at the game in Florida, despite playing with only 5 D Syvret only played 8 minutes. That's something I don't like about Stevens, he's pushing our top four D too hard. I believe this was part of our problems in the last couple of games, when we started on top of the scores but ended up with a loss.

captainpaxil, again you deliver a post that makes sense

Old
10-19-2009, 07:35 AM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
This is the same team that let Chara walk in favor of Redden.
Yeah, it is however a different GM.

Volchenkov is a stud, I don't see the Sens trading...let alone to the Flyers.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 11:14 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
are you for real? do you realize those guys you mentioned will nto get you anythign of value. coburnis th eonly one.

curry, cote, rqtchuk, lol, all ahl caliber players. your post is comical
Talk about shoving words in someones mouth. That's why your post is comical.

I never said we were gonna get like a 2nd pairing guy, but between all those people listed it should be quite easy to get a solid 3rd pairing guy and/or picks.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 12:12 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Anyone wanting Jones over OKT?

SnS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 12:22 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by xV Carter 17 Xv View Post
LOL

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 01:26 PM
Wolfy*
The Hobbit Rules!

So now you want Jones back, a few weeks ago you all wanted him gone.
Some of you guys have really turned soft

Old
10-19-2009, 01:29 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by xV Carter 17 Xv View Post
not at 2.75, I don't.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 01:37 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:

So now you want Jones back, a few weeks ago you all wanted him gone.
Some of you guys have really turned soft
The only person who wants Jones back is JXC and that's because he's JXC.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 01:41 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
$2.75M aside, I'd rather have Jones too.

Old
10-19-2009, 02:01 PM
Wolfy*
The Hobbit Rules!

Quote:
Oh yeah, I forgot. He's a special Jones fan.

Anyway, Tolly is a huge upgrade compared to Jones, don't even think about it.

Old
10-19-2009, 02:04 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
$2.75M aside, I'd rather have Jones too.
If you also put his bad hips aside (has he recovered from them yet?) I think I'd prefer Jones too.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 02:07 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
Anyway, Tolly is a huge upgrade compared to Jones, don't even think about it.
While I don't share the sentiments of the board that OKT sucks, I don't think there is any evidence that supports what you posted. If we're going to have a fight-night and try and scare our opponents...then OKT it is. If we're going to play hockey and try and out-score our opponent...I'll take my chances with Jones.