HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009/10 - Lines Discussion - (ES/PP/PK) - Part II

Old
10-06-2009, 04:08 PM
Garbage Goal

vCash: 500
Quote:
if we trade Asham (600K) and take on cap space we may get a 2nd but on a straight up deal no way. Homer trade a pending RFA (who was due and got a higher salary) for a guy with a cheaper deal a year away from being an RFA.
Once again, I already covered this several times. The 2nd was just an example. The point is that you could get something for literally nothing because we aren't playing him. We could get a 3rd or a 4th or a 2nd, it doesn't matter.
Quote:
It's all moot anyway because the Flyers aren't dealing him....
I never said they were. It's called discussion.

Quote:
there will injuries soon enough and then we'll be glad we have him to plug in.
I also already covered this several times already. That's what call-ups are for.

It's like people don't even read what I say so they just post the same thing that's already been said several times.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Miss Mess

Philly.com said that Giroux replaced Pyorala on the first line in practice today.

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Ryanoceros
He Shoots, He Scores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mess View Post
Philly.com said that Giroux replaced Pyorala on the first line in practice today.
Awesome. It was only a matter of time. But does this mean JVR's out for Saturday?

Ryanoceros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 02:21 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Had no idea where to put this but the Flyers made some line changes:

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?...id=DL|PHI|home

Quote:
With another abnormal five-day break in the schedule after playing on Friday night in Florida, the Flyers began a week of practice today at their training facility with some new looks to the forward lines. Claude Giroux was taken off of the Mike Richards-Simon Gagne line and reunited with James van Riemsdyk (along with Ian Laperriere), while Arron Asham took Giroux’s spot.
So I guess it looks like now:

Gagne-Richards-Asham
Hartnell-Carter-Briere
JVR-Giroux-Lappy
Carcillo-Powe-Pyorala

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 02:44 PM
hrychuk32

I didn't see anything wrong with Gagne, Richards and Pyorala. He played his role on the line, forcheck, cycle and be defensively responsible. I do like Asham but I don't really see how he adds a lot more than what Pyorala does.

hrychuk32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 02:50 PM
Jester

Can we not spend a little time seeing if Pyorala can play third line center? I mean, that's what he was kind of advertised as being.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 02:53 PM
IrishSniper87

Stevens sucks

Gagne-Richards-Giroux (flat out nasty line)
Hartnell-Carter-Briere (nasty)
JVR-Pyorala-Asham (hold their own)
Carcillo-Powe-Lappy (**** you line)

was perfect

Gagne-Richards-Asham (fail)
JVR-Giroux-Pyorala (meh)

If you guys ever wonder why we are so AVERAGE 5-on-5, it's because we refuse to play our best players together, like morons.

Our 3 scoring line approach sucks.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 02:58 PM
DUHockey9

I'm willing to give it a chance (the 3 scoring line model) but if in the next week or two, we don't see some real 5 on 5 improvement, I think we definitely need to stack the top 6 with Giroux at wing. It's a bit unfortunate for JVR on the 3rd line if that were to happen, but it can't be helped.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 02:58 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Stevens sucks

was perfect
That works beautifully for me.

Quote:
JVR-Giroux-Pyorala (meh)

If you guys ever wonder why we are so AVERAGE 5-on-5, it's because we refuse to play our best players together, like morons.

While I don't necessarily like how it looks here on HF in a post, I'll reserve judgement until I see them on the ice.

Like it's been commented on already...we don't have the DEPTH for 3 solid scoring lines.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 03:03 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I'm willing to give it a chance (the 3 scoring line model) but if in the next week or two, we don't see some real 5 on 5 improvement, I think we definitely need to stack the top 6 with Giroux at wing. It's a bit unfortunate for JVR on the 3rd line if that were to happen, but it can't be helped.
You know what, 3rd line lets JVR ease into the NHL, and he is avilable to move up a lien in case of injury. Perfect scenario for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
While I don't necessarily like how it looks here on HF in a post, I'll reserve judgement until I see them on the ice.

Like it's been commented on already...we don't have the DEPTH for 3 solid scoring lines.
We have a few stud forwards and mostly meh. Play the studs with the studs and have some more defensive lines.

Our forward group is better then most, we just have horrible lines. Some teams have like 2 stud forwards, we have IMHO 6. Stack them and improve 5-on-5!!!!!!!!

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 03:07 PM
Talbetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Had no idea where to put this but the Flyers made some line changes:

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?...id=DL|PHI|home

So I guess it looks like now:

Gagne-Richards-Asham
Hartnell-Carter-Briere
JVR-Giroux-Lappy
Carcillo-Powe-Pyorala
This is absurb! I believe this could be the worst line combination possible for this team. UGH! Asham has been playing well, but for christs sake....

If you want to tinker, think of something creative Stevens.

Hartnell - Carter - Briere
JVR - Richards - Pyorala
Gagne - Giroux - Lappy/Asham
Carcillo - Powe - Asham/Lappy

Anything, but the lines they are practicing with. We all agree to like what Asham brings to the table, but top 6....come on now??? Ridiculous.

Asham = new Randy Jones

Talbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 03:08 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Our forward group is better then most, we just have horrible lines. Some teams have like 2 stud forwards, we have IMHO 6. Stack them and improve 5-on-5!!!!!!!!
I'm getting closer and closer to completely agreeing with you. If in a week or two, there's no improvement, I'll be ready to commit to that idea. My only reasoning being that I really like our role players, and I think there's a CHANCE they can fill in nicely on the 3 scoring lines; but we'll see.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 03:16 PM
Talbetts

Stacking them is fine with me too. The only thing I wonder about is that Third line.

JVR - Lappy - Pyorala may work, but I'm not sure how effective Lappy would be at Center. How were Pyorala's FO stats anyway? Anyone have that before I go search?

Talbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 03:40 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Stevens sucks

was perfect

JVR-Giroux-Pyorala (meh)

Well, we were winning when Giroux was at 3C and losing when he was at 1RW. I agree with Stevens, Claude is better at C.

This is Asham's audition as Knuble2 - the shorter, lighter, less talented but not quite as slow version. We'll see. If this doesn't work, Maroon may need to be summoned.

JVR and Giroux had some very good chemistry - having Pyorala on the RW will give them speed, skill and D presence. I can see this line scoring some goals = which is kind of the point of having 3 scoring lines....

Upon re-reading the original, it is:

Gagne-Richards-Asham
Hartnell-Carter-Briere
JVR-Giroux-Lappy
Carcillo-Powe-Pyorala

I'm not sure I like this as much, we'll see if Lappy can keep up with them.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 03:53 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Can we not spend a little time seeing if Pyorala can play third line center? I mean, that's what he was kind of advertised as being.
So was iLap.

I'm not surprised he's found his way to the fourth line already. Although, I prefer him on Richards' wing if the other choice is friggin' Asham.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 11:21 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
So was iLap.

I'm not surprised he's found his way to the fourth line already. Although, I prefer him on Richards' wing if the other choice is friggin' Asham.
what makes you like Pyorala more than Asham? He's a rookie center compared to Asham who is a veteran winger with decent hands. Pyorala hasn't shown us anything yet.

I think Giroux is wasted on the wing and the JVR Giroux Laperriere line is a great idea. I think Betts Carcillo and Pyorala/somebody else would be a very good 4th line.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 11:56 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
what in all honesty could be the logical reason behind putting Asham on the top line? I like Asham for what he has brought to the rink every night but top line minutes? No.

That decision has fail written all over it, but hey its John Stevens.
maybe over the weekend he will put Emery on the 2nd line wing and put Cote in goal

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 05:45 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
what makes you like Pyorala more than Asham? He's a rookie center compared to Asham who is a veteran winger with decent hands. Pyorala hasn't shown us anything yet.

I think Giroux is wasted on the wing and the JVR Giroux Laperriere line is a great idea. I think Betts Carcillo and Pyorala/somebody else would be a very good 4th line.
I don't like Pyorala all that much, but he didn't **** the bed playing with them either. He's a smart player with good instincts and is solid defensively. He's better suited for a scoring line than a glorified middleweight fighter.

Frankly, there are no good options for that position because some ****tard thought Randy Jones was more important than Knuble or Upshall. This will be a struggle until the day Stevens is canned and the new coach realizes we don't have the players for three scoring lines anymore.

Old
10-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:

Just because he hasn't been putting up points doesn't mean he's been playing bad. He's one of our most defensively responsible forwards, has great hockey sense, and is a decent passer. Sounds like a great fit for a 3rd line.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Pancho Lefty*

should be:

JvR-Richards-Giroux
Hartnell-Carter-Briere
Gagne-Pyorola-Asham
Carcillo-Powe-Lappy

Pancho Lefty* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 05:58 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

I don't know why anyone is *****ing about this team using 3 scoring lines right now. I *****ed about the idea of it too before the season started, but that was based upon the notion that JVR wouldn't be part of the team. With him on the team - with 7 players more than capable of a top-6 role - we're better off with 3 scoring lines. If we do 2, sure they're stacked, but then there's a leftover forward whose offensive talent gets wasted big time.

More importantly, so far this year, we've won the 3 games in which we used 3 scoring lines, and lost the 3 games in which we used 2 scoring lines. Could the decision to use 2 or 3 scoring lines be more of a no-brainer right now?

Gagne-Richards-Pyorala
Hartnell-Carter-Briere
JVR-Giroux-Asham
Carcillo-Powe-Laperriere

...would be just fine for now.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 10:30 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrychuk32 View Post
I didn't see anything wrong with Gagne, Richards and Pyorala. He played his role on the line, forcheck, cycle and be defensively responsible. I do like Asham but I don't really see how he adds a lot more than what Pyorala does.
Me neither, but I liked Giroux on that line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Agreed. He might be our best option at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27272727 View Post
This is absurb! I believe this could be the worst line combination possible for this team. UGH! Asham has been playing well, but for christs sake....

If you want to tinker, think of something creative Stevens.

Hartnell - Carter - Briere
JVR - Richards - Pyorala
Gagne - Giroux - Lappy/Asham
Carcillo - Powe - Asham/Lappy

Anything, but the lines they are practicing with. We all agree to like what Asham brings to the table, but top 6....come on now??? Ridiculous.

Asham = new Randy Jones
Asham is not quite that bad...He plays his role and plays it well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Well, we were winning when Giroux was at 3C and losing when he was at 1RW. I agree with Stevens, Claude is better at C.

This is Asham's audition as Knuble2 - the shorter, lighter, less talented but not quite as slow version. We'll see. If this doesn't work, Maroon may need to be summoned.

JVR and Giroux had some very good chemistry - having Pyorala on the RW will give them speed, skill and D presence. I can see this line scoring some goals = which is kind of the point of having 3 scoring lines....

Upon re-reading the original, it is:

Gagne-Richards-Asham
Hartnell-Carter-Briere
JVR-Giroux-Lappy
Carcillo-Powe-Pyorala

I'm not sure I like this as much, we'll see if Lappy can keep up with them.
I am not going to debate the line combinations....I agree Giroux and JVR showed some chemistry, but I also think Giroux looked great with Richards/Gagne.

But, why in the hell would anyone automatically think Giroux is better at center when the majority of his success in his career has been on the wing???? He is a smart, super talented player....It doesnt matter where he is.....

Quote:

Yep, Giroux is wasted on the wing....even though he has scored a zillion points playing on the wing...

Fact of the matter is that Homer did the same thing this year with the forward that he did with the dmen last year.....signed a bunch of unknown and mediocre players and was hoping something would stick, when there were CLEARLY guys out there that would have helped us.

Also, I dont think it matter if this team has Malkin, Crosby, Ovechkin and Nash.....When you dont play like "a team" you are not going to go very far, unless of course your goalie stands on his head

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 05:41 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Heh, Giroux is wasted on the top line wing with two of our best offensive threats, but he's not wasted getting third line time with a rookie and a scrub. Hilarious.

Old
10-21-2009, 06:18 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
But, why in the hell would anyone automatically think Giroux is better at center when the majority of his success in his career has been on the wing???? He is a smart, super talented player....It doesnt matter where he is.....

Also, I dont think it matter if this team has Malkin, Crosby, Ovechkin and Nash.....When you dont play like "a team" you are not going to go very far, unless of course your goalie stands on his head
It's not 'automatically' think Giroux is better at C, it's 'observationally'. Stevens said it quite clearly, for him: he likes Giroux better at C because he has the puck more in open ice. With him and Richards on one line, the had to share the playmaking role. As the coach said, both he and Richards were trying to pass the puck into the net instead of shooting and crashing the net. Besides, Giroux and JVR have great chemistry, and what, really, is wrong with having 3 lines that can score? Esp. as both Gagne and Richards don't look completely recovered from their off season surgeries.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 07:34 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Stevens sucks

was perfect

JVR-Giroux-Pyorala (meh)

1st two lines should be a lock. Was asking for it even before September or put Giroux with Carter and Briere with Richards but keep Giroux within top 6.

Gagne-Richards-Giroux
Hartnell-Carter-Briere

Last two lines needed some work. Stevens has options with Powe or switch Asham and iLap or play iLap at center since neither Powe, Pyro are good on faceoffs.

JVR-Pyorala-Asham
Carcillo-Betts-Lappy I loved 4th line when Betts was healthy.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote