HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Young D-man for a veteran.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-19-2009, 02:24 PM
  #51
chimrichalds18
the key
 
chimrichalds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot. He's a special Jones fan.

Anyway, Tolly is a huge upgrade compared to Jones, don't even think about it.
He's an upgrade when you don't consider salary, but in terms of all-around game, Jones is better than OKT.

OKT is a fringe NHL dman, Jones is a capable 6th defenseman -- maybe a 5th dman at his best.

A parent-jones bottom pair, with both of them healthy, would be the best pairing we could field. Unfortunately, the salary cap and injuries won't let that happen.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 02:25 PM
  #52
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Jones at 100% and the same salary as OKT...I take Jones. But that's not the case, so I take OKT.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 03:46 PM
  #53
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...
 
Ex Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
I take neither. They both suck.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 03:53 PM
  #54
SnS
Mod Supervisor
 
SnS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 11,810
vCash: 50
Jones cheaper, and he's the easy choice.


OKT is boarderline number 6.

SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 04:15 PM
  #55
dbr2
Lockout Beard
 
dbr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,340
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
If, Jones is cheaper I take him.

However that is not the case.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 04:21 PM
  #56
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Anyway, Tolly is a huge upgrade compared to Jones, don't even think about it.
Only if you are keeping track of 'icings caused by passes missing the target by 20 feet.'

Seriously, Tolly defines mediocrity. Jones at least has some talent and can skate.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 04:44 PM
  #57
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,413
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
The last few posts kind of embody why I started this post. OKT and Syvret are at best 6th D-men. OKT is a big physical guy and I like his style of play and Syvret has a nice offensive upside, but if there is a serious injury to anyone on the blueline, we are screwed. Syvret and OKT playing together (or split up like someone suggested in an earlier post) would make our defense worse off than it was last year. I seriously think we should trade an AHL D-man, Cote/Asham/Carcillo, and even a draft pick for a solid D-man to play with Parent. That way if someone goes down, the final pair of Parent/New Guy with OKT or Syvret (I would say send Syvret down and keep OKT as the 7th D-man) would still be a solid final pairing.

Gagne-Richards-Pyorala
Hartnell-Carter-Briere
JVR-Giroux-Powe
Asham/Carcillo-Betts(when healthy)-Lappy


Pronger-Carle
Timmonen-Coburn
Parent-New Guy

OKT as the 7th
Carcillo/Asham/Cote (depending on who is traded for the new guy)

Syvret to AHL

Emery
[Boucher]

I would feel A LOT more comfortable with that, even if Parent doesn't miss a single game.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 10:34 PM
  #58
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
$2.75M aside, I'd rather have Jones too.
You can't just put the 2.75 mil aside though.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 10:37 PM
  #59
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
I take neither. They both suck.
Finally, someone on here speaks the truth. OKT is a waste of breath, Jones is a waste of space.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 09:12 AM
  #60
Wolfy
Registered User
 
Wolfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,228
vCash: 500
So you actually say OKT, in his fifth season in this league, is useless. Then I find it hard to believe that he was offered a contract from teams like the Pens, Bruins and Flyers.

He's more than good enough as a 6th defenseman. He's only had 12 minutes of play, you know little or nothing about him. But that will change, Stevens said OKT-Syvret on the 3rd will play a lot more now until Parent is back because we're facing several games a week, and we don't want to kill our top four D.

There is absolutely no need to look for an expensive veteran D, OKT is already the 7th defenseman, that means Syvret must be sent down. What has he done to deserve that? Nothing.

Oh...I really do suspect quite a lot of Euro hatred around here


Last edited by Wolfy: 10-20-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 09:41 AM
  #61
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
So you actually say OKT, in his fifth season in this league, is useless. Then I find it hard to believe that he was offered a contract from teams like the Pens, Bruins and Flyers.

He's more than good enough as a 6th defenseman. He's only had 12 minutes of play, you know little or nothing about him. But that will change, Stevens said OKT-Syvret on the 3rd will play a lot more now until Parent is back because we're facing several games a week, and we don't want to kill our top four D.

There is absolutely no need to look for an expensive veteran D, OKT is already the 7th defenseman, that means Syvret must be sent down. What has he done to deserve that? Nothing.

Oh...I really do suspect quite a lot of Euro hatred around here
What has Syvret done to deserve staying in the lineup? Nothing. Tolly has been a little better but barely.

It's got nothing to do with prejudice. No one cares where a guy is from as long as he can play. If Tolly shows he can play, he can stay awhile. I'm not holding my breath.

A trade for a Dman to play with Parent is evitable before the deadline. We can't risk having these guys on the ice in the playoffs.

Mmmm, Toronto has loads of excess and has been putting Exelby in the stands....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 09:44 AM
  #62
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
So you actually say OKT, in his fifth season in this league, is useless. Then I find it hard to believe that he was offered a contract from teams like the Pens, Bruins and Flyers.

He's more than good enough as a 6th defenseman. He's only had 12 minutes of play, you know little or nothing about him. But that will change, Stevens said OKT-Syvret on the 3rd will play a lot more now until Parent is back because we're facing several games a week, and we don't want to kill our top four D.

There is absolutely no need to look for an expensive veteran D, OKT is already the 7th defenseman, that means Syvret must be sent down. What has he done to deserve that? Nothing.

Oh...I really do suspect quite a lot of Euro hatred around here
It's not Euro hate around here. I'm the one who suggested a package of Coburn and others for Volchenkov. I also like Kimmo Timonen who's, get this, European.

OKT sucks. That's all what it is. The only thing he does well is hit, but even when he does that, he takes himself out of position in order to make the big hit. You said it best - he's been in the league now for five seasons. After five seasons, you'd think he'd grasp the concept of choosing his spots better, but he hasn't.

It's not my fault that you have a man crush on OKT and obviously can't see that he's a borderline NHL player at best. At this point, I'd have rather that the Flyers use someone like Bartulis or even Marshall in the seven spot. They at least offer something......

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 10:02 AM
  #63
Wolfy
Registered User
 
Wolfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,228
vCash: 500
BobbyClarkeFan16...Welcome to my ignore list, your posts are ridiculous.

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 10:06 AM
  #64
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,413
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
It's not Euro hate around here. I'm the one who suggested a package of Coburn and others for Volchenkov. I also like Kimmo Timonen who's, get this, European.

OKT sucks. That's all what it is. The only thing he does well is hit, but even when he does that, he takes himself out of position in order to make the big hit. You said it best - he's been in the league now for five seasons. After five seasons, you'd think he'd grasp the concept of choosing his spots better, but he hasn't.

It's not my fault that you have a man crush on OKT and obviously can't see that he's a borderline NHL player at best. At this point, I'd have rather that the Flyers use someone like Bartulis or even Marshall in the seven spot. They at least offer something......
I don't know about that last part. At this point, Syvret and OKT are our best options, I know Parent is only out for a short time, but it is inevitable that at some point in the season another D-man will go down, possibly for longer. Syvret or OKT should be an option as a 7th D-man, not the 6th and 7th D-man.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 12:00 PM
  #65
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
BobbyClarkeFan16...Welcome to my ignore list, your posts are ridiculous.
You might have to ignore half of Flyers board soon. As most people know, we are not *******s but we dont take kindly to blind "love" people(not really blind for you since you know him but you know what I mean). What I mean is people who say a player does no wrong and is the best, not based off of his play but because of personal reasons (Like that Carle fan). Look. There is no need to get all angry. We here think that OKT is a 7th man, at times 6th man. Some of us have been fans of this team a long time, and know what ****** defenders we went through. A 3rd pairing of Syvret-OKT is NOT a solid 3rd pairing line. It just isnt.

Oh an I like Syvret as a 6th guy. I dont see anything that he has done wrong the games he has played. I noticed accouple nice passes, but other then that I havent noticed getting cut up by another player or getting outplayed.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 12:02 PM
  #66
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 14,020
vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Oh...I really do suspect quite a lot of Euro hatred around here
Yep, Flyers' fans despise those Euros....















Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
BobbyClarkeFan16...Welcome to my ignore list, your posts are ridiculous.
Each of his posts about OKT have been pretty accurate. Whatever relationship you have with OKT has blinded you to the fact that he's a fringe 6th defenseman in the NHL. There's nothing wrong with that; it just is what it is. If you can't handle criticism of your favourite player, you've probably joined the wrong board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot. He's a special Jones fan.
The irony in this post is almost too much for me to handle.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 02:05 PM
  #67
Wolfy
Registered User
 
Wolfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,228
vCash: 500
I have no problems with sensible criticism. OKT is not a skill player, we all know that. He's an energy player and handles the 6th spot just fine, that's why Homer signed him to replace Jones.

But what I see here is not criticism, it's pure bashing of a guy who hasn't even played yet, maybe one game. That is totally unnecessary, what a way to welcome new players

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 02:10 PM
  #68
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
BobbyClarkeFan16...Welcome to my ignore list, your posts are ridiculous.
not the first time I've been put on an ignore list. Probably won't be the last either. My posts are always a little over the top. However, most on this board will tell you that I'm probably one of the most passionate and die hard Flyers fans there is. Quite proud of that too.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 02:29 PM
  #69
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
I have no problems with sensible criticism. OKT is not a skill player, we all know that. He's an energy player and handles the 6th spot just fine, that's why Homer signed him to replace Jones.
He signed him to be a cheap depth defenseman. That's it. Didn't sign him to specifically replace Jones, because, hey look he was a healthy scratch to start the year.

Quote:
But what I see here is not criticism, it's pure bashing of a guy who hasn't even played yet, maybe one game. That is totally unnecessary, what a way to welcome new players
Look dude, at some point you need to stop being a pathetic OKT fanboy and start engaging in real hockey talk if anyone is going to take you seriously. Constantly agitating for us to field the gooniest lineup we can make (which hasn't been a smart decision for years), especially when talking about playing high skill teams like the Pens (because wastes of time like Godard are going to beat us up!) just makes you look silly. Acting like someone pissed in your cornflakes because people say negative things about a guy that is, objectively, a completely fringe player in the NHL...

OKT did not receive good minutes in Columbus because he isn't very good. He's receiving less minutes on a better team because he isn't very good. Them the facts.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 02:53 PM
  #70
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
I have no problems with sensible criticism. OKT is not a skill player, we all know that. He's an energy player and handles the 6th spot just fine, that's why Homer signed him to replace Jones.

But what I see here is not criticism, it's pure bashing of a guy who hasn't even played yet, maybe one game. That is totally unnecessary, what a way to welcome new players
What Jester said. He's a fringe NHL d-man and, at best, a 7th d-man. He was never specifically brought in to replace Jones. He was brought in for cheap defensive depth and a solid 7th d-man.

Get over it. He wasn't thought highly of in Columbus and likely won't be highly thought of here.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 02:57 PM
  #71
Wolfy
Registered User
 
Wolfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,228
vCash: 500
Don't tell me to change my opinions, I will never cut my support to the physical part of the game.

And OKT played the usual 10-15 minutes as 6th in Columbus before the knee injury. Again, he must have something to contribute with when he's wanted by several teams in the league. That just doesn't happen if he belongs on a lower level.

Let's just agree to disagree, because this is obviously a locked case.

Oh, and the best part of it...I know why he was signed and what their future plans are, you don't have to tell me

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 03:01 PM
  #72
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Don't tell me to change my opinions, I will never cut my support to the physical part of the game.

And OKT played the usual 10-15 minutes as 6th in Columbus before the knee injury. Again, he must have something to contribute with when he's wanted by several teams in the league. That just doesn't happen if he belongs on a lower level.

Let's just agree to disagree, because this is obviously a locked case.
Ivanens and Hollweg manage to keep finding work, but that doesn't mean they're good.

Nobody is telling you to change your opinion, we're just asking you to talk reasonably and to stop ignoring facts.

None of us said he belongs in the AHL either. We just all admit that he's a 7th d-man who's best asset is hitting (which often compromises his position).
Quote:
Oh, and the best part of it...I know why he was signed and what their future plans are, you don't have to tell me
Isn't saying stuff like that without proof not allowed?

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 03:05 PM
  #73
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Don't tell me to change my opinions, I will never cut my support to the physical part of the game.
You say this as if Flyer fans don't support or enjoy the "physical part of the game." That's not what you agitate for. You make it out like the NHL is like the movie Slapshot, when that is decidedly not the case. You portray the Penguins as some rough and tumble team that we have to be overly concerned about in the physical side of the game and suggest that throw Cote in as if he's of any real worth on the ice...

Of course, the real issue is that if OKT was a small skill guy, I very much doubt you would be making the arguments you are at all...which goes right to the heart of the issue, you don't have much credibility because you come off as a pure fanboy, rather than a hockey fan. Look, you're conversing with real Flyer fans, not folks who give two licks about OKT...it's about the Flyers winning and being a good team, not OKT getting ice time.

Quote:
And OKT played the usual 10-15 minutes as 6th in Columbus before the knee injury. Again, he must have something to contribute with when he's wanted by several teams in the league. That just doesn't happen if he belongs on a lower level.

Let's just agree to disagree, because this is obviously a locked case.
Yes, a slew of cap stricken teams that were looking for cheap players to fill out his roster. No one is saying he doesn't deserve a contract in the NHL, but it's pretty clear he isn't that highly regarded or he'd be going to places where he wouldn't be looked at as a 6/7 and fighting for that spot (would have been the case with any of those teams). If he was that highly thought of, he'd be getting paid more and brought in by teams looking for someone to play further up the lineup.

Quality defenseman -- even mediocre ones -- are of high demand in the NHL...OKT wasn't all that demanded.

Of course, then you go and play the anti-Euro card, which is just beyond absurd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Oh, and the best part of it...I know why he was signed and what their future plans are, you don't have to tell me
No matter what they told OKT, and what he's told you...it's unlikely that OKT has a significant future in the Flyers long-term plans on D. Pronger and Timonen are signed to extended contracts, so is Carle (but he is expendable), and Coburn will likely be locked up to another deal between now and next offseason. Then you have Parent, who is absolutely in their long-term plans and a few guys on the Phantoms they hold in high esteem.

OKT is on a one-year deal for a reason.


Last edited by Jester: 10-20-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 03:16 PM
  #74
Wolfy
Registered User
 
Wolfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,228
vCash: 500
Well we just have to wait and see, I guess we can agree about that if nothing else

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 04:31 PM
  #75
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,413
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Well we just have to wait and see, I guess we can agree about that if nothing else
Maybe I missed this earlier, but how do you know Tollefson and why is he telling you these things?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.