HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Franson called up...10-16-09

Old
10-18-2009, 09:22 AM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
Ok, if Franson keeps playing like he did yesterday I think Laakso maybe going back to Milwaukee. He used his size, was calm, had a rocket shot, and overall played like Cody Franson should.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2009, 01:58 PM
braindead

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
Ok, if Franson keeps playing like he did yesterday I think Laakso maybe going back to Milwaukee. He used his size, was calm, had a rocket shot, and overall played like Cody Franson should.
Agree but Laakso also was better. Generally so was Klien.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 02:17 PM
Panopticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
Ok, if Franson keeps playing like he did yesterday I think Laakso maybe going back to Milwaukee.
You thought right. At least according to the rumors I just heard that Laakso is on his way back to Milwaukee as we speak.

So I guess that's it for him in the Preds organization. I hope they trade him... there's a few teams in the league with really horrible D, so he might find a place. AHL is a waste for him.

Panopticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 02:27 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panopticon View Post
You thought right. At least according to the rumors I just heard that Laakso is on his way back to Milwaukee as we speak.

So I guess that's it for him in the Preds organization. I hope they trade him... there's a few teams in the league with really horrible D, so he might find a place. AHL is a waste for him.
I disagree. I don't think we have seen the last of Teemu Laakso at this level. The coaching staff really like him and I think now that he knows what he needs to do, he can go back to Milwaukee, spend the rest of this season fine-tuning his game, and come back next year and challenge for a roster spot. He can probably get one, depending on what goes on in the off-season. If Hamhuis goes un-replaced, he'll probably be penciled in to start the year.

I just hope he doesn't sulk in the minors, play like crap for a year, and then bolt for Europe next summer. He has the potential to play at this level, he's just raw.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 02:40 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:

Laakso skated in practice this morning and is one of only 6 healthy defensemen on our roster. We currently have no subs, Belak is in at forward on the fourth line for Wednesday night and Arnott, Hamhuis, and Tootoo are injured. If this is true, it means either Sulzer or a veteran UFA like Chelios is on his way to Nashville as we speak.

Guess we'll know tomorrow when the team holds their morning practice. They fly out to Boston shortly after practice and surely won't be adding someone to the roster right now that hasn't skated with the team...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 02:43 PM
Panopticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
he can go back to Milwaukee, spend the rest of this season fine-tuning his game
Yeah, but realistically that's not what happens in the AHL. It's a graveyard for a fifth year pro like Laakso. It's just not a good enough level to develop him further. Unless they would actually play him in a role that allows him to develop his offensive game, but I don't see that happening. He's there, again, covering for someone like Blum or Sulzer and then killing penalties, and he's already good enough at that for the AHL level... The only chance Laakso has of developing further is to play against tough enough opponents.

I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Old
10-19-2009, 02:49 PM
Seth Lake

Laakso is also participating in tonight's "Community Day" activities for the Predators. He will be serving food and signing autographs at the Hardee's (fast-food chain and team sponsor) in LaVergne from 6-7 PM tonight...

Old
10-19-2009, 02:58 PM
Panopticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Laakso is also participating in tonight's "Community Day" activities for the Predators. He will be serving food and signing autographs at the Hardee's (fast-food chain and team sponsor) in LaVergne from 6-7 PM tonight...
Really? My source is usually very reliable. They literally told me that Laakso was driving to Milwaukee as they or one of them last spoke to him. Maybe they had to change the plans since he was driving instead of flying?

Old
10-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Really? My source is usually very reliable. They literally told me that Laakso was driving to Milwaukee as they or one of them last spoke to him. Maybe they had to change the plans since he was driving instead of flying?
Don't know? I know you generally have very reliable information regarding Laakso, however while it makes a bit of sense, it really baffles me because I saw him leave the ice about four hours ago after taking part in practice and see him listed as partaking in the Community Day festivities list released by the team early this afternoon.

Milwaukee should have returned home from BC by now, they are in the middle of a road trip, but don't play again until Friday night at Rockford. I would suspect that if Laakso was re-assigned that he would drive though because he has been in Nashville since the start of training camp and can pack more stuff into his vehicle that way...

Old
10-19-2009, 06:00 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Don't know? I know you generally have very reliable information regarding Laakso, however while it makes a bit of sense, it really baffles me because I saw him leave the ice about four hours ago after taking part in practice and see him listed as partaking in the Community Day festivities list released by the team early this afternoon.
Doesn't look like he's on the list anymore.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
Wow, you're right...

I expect the announcement of signing either DeVries or Chelios in the next 12 or so hours...

Old
10-19-2009, 06:04 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:

This is typical of how Trotz brings young players up. They usually get a taste, are sent back down, and are brought back up. This really is nothing to worry about IMO.

10-19-2009, 06:25 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
Also removed from the Predators active NHL roster on the website...

http://predators.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

Could just be Hamhuis returning or maybe something else

Old
10-19-2009, 09:53 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Also removed from the Predators active NHL roster on the website...

http://predators.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

Could just be Hamhuis returning or maybe something else
I throw up a little bit in my mouth as I say it, but I am actually starting to think bringing back DeVries might be a decent idea, with Klein's struggles and Sulzer\Laakso's unreadiness.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I throw up a little bit in my mouth as I say it, but I am actually starting to think bringing back DeVries might be a decent idea, with Klein's struggles and Sulzer\Laakso's unreadiness.
The thing about it would be that he could serve as a 7th defenseman and play more of a mentor role, filling in when needed and working as an extra coach in the locker room.

We don't have a coach on the staff that played as a defenseman. Only one is Herbert as the assistant in Milwaukee. Peterson was a high scoring forward before injuring his knees early in his career and then reinvented himself as a top defensive forward...

Old
10-20-2009, 08:34 AM
Panopticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
This is typical of how Trotz brings young players up. They usually get a taste, are sent back down, and are brought back up. This really is nothing to worry about IMO.
Oh, I'm not worried about how they're treating him, I'm worried about Nashville's prospect depth. From Laakso's perspective, I mean. There are younger guys that will pass him by in a season or two (although I guess Nashville could lose couple of the older guys at some point as well), and I just wanted Laakso to get NHL experience while it was realistically up for grabs so he could both develop further and just maybe get noticed around the league so it would increase his chances of getting signed by some other team when Nashville is no longer interested in him. For a defensive defenseman, it's much harder to get noticed in the AHL, I would think.

Old
10-20-2009, 09:20 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
DeVries for the league minimum would be ok as long as he is playing 6th or 7th man minutes

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote