HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

New Book Asks If There Is A Bias In Nhl Against French Players

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-20-2009, 01:10 AM
  #1
HockeyF3ind
Registered User
 
HockeyF3ind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,813
vCash: 500
New Book Asks If There Is A Bias In Nhl Against French Players

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=295379

Quote:
Bob Sirois is wading into an old and unresolved debate dating from the 1955 Rocket Richard Riot - whether there's bias against French-Canadian players in the NHL.

The former right-winger argues in a new book, Le Québec mis en échec: la discrimination envers les Québécois dans le LNH (Quebec bodychecked: discrimination against Quebeckers in the NHL), that prejudice is alive and well in the league.

The publishers claim the book, to be launched tomorrow, presents the most substantive case yet released on the difficulties faced by French-Canadian hockey players.

But the former Philadelphia Flyers and the Washington Capitals player doesn't feed the controversy with oft-used anecdotes - the sanctions against Maurice (Rocket) Richard by then NHL president Clarence Campbell, Mario Lemieux refusing to play for the Canadian junior team and alleged anti-French slurs by Shane Doan.

Sirois instead attempts to demonstrate with stats and numbers that the hockey league's managers don't hold French-Canadian players in as high esteem as their anglophone peers.

But the book doesn't shy away from debate either - its cover shows a hockey-playing frog facing down a bullish competitor.

Sirois claims the only remedy for the alleged systematic discrimination would be to offer francophone players greater visibility through their own leagues.The book is written more for the serious hockey buff than the casual reader, the bulk of its 288 pages filled with tables of stats and numbers that Sirois uses to back up his argument.....
Without reading the book I'd tend to agree that in an English dominated league French players get discriminated against, although I'd also argue that every non-white or non-english speaker likely gets the the same or very similar discrimination.
Your Thoughts?

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 01:13 AM
  #2
Hades
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 1,372
vCash: 500
No they don't. This is ridiculous. Some players might say some racist stuff, laugh at frenchies or whatever but that's IT. I doubt they'll ignore a player at the draft because he's a quebecer. Seriously, what's wrong with quebecers? They always seem to want to seem like they're victims and think they're special or something. I'm not racist or anything, I'm born here and been living here for 18 years and am technically a Quebecer. I just find their pack mentality ridiculous sometimes.

Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 01:18 AM
  #3
CaZn0
Registered User
 
CaZn0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 180
vCash: 500
this is all just for talks. You can't bring up some conspiracy because the kebekers players ain't progressing well. This is just some ol' bs. Is there some kind of miracle potion being produced in russia for bringing all those young talents into the NHL?.... NO! This is just how life goes. There's always something better waiting for you on the other corner of the street. There's nothing new in what's happening here. Get over it.

CaZn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 01:27 AM
  #4
llamateizer
Registered User
 
llamateizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Country:
Posts: 5,081
vCash: 500
the book must be read before giving any judgement...
but what ive heard is
that if you have a french name you have 1 chance in 618
an english name is 1 in 334
Gainey only recruted 2 quebecers with dallas
Dallas recruited 3 from 1993-2008
its the facts taken from Sirois

It doesn't mean that i agree with him ^^


I think that the quebec system needs to be reworked

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 01:29 AM
  #5
habtastic
Registered User
 
habtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai via MTL
Country: India
Posts: 8,542
vCash: 500
the only sad part is that the really good ones don't end up on our roster (tanguay was the last). other teams like their talented frenchies and won't give them to us. *cough* vinny...

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 01:35 AM
  #6
CaZn0
Registered User
 
CaZn0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by husamus156 View Post
the book must be read before giving any judgement...
but what ive heard is
that if you have a french name you have 1 chance in 618
an english name is 1 in 334
Gainey only recruted 2 quebecers with dallas
Dallas recruited 3 from 1993-2008
its the facts taken from Sirois

It doesn't mean that i agree with him ^^


I think that the quebec system needs to be reworked
whats a french name?

is Denis Grebeshkov, or Mike Ribeiro a french name?

CaZn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 01:49 AM
  #7
Moobles
Registered User
 
Moobles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,551
vCash: 500
I think he makes a valid point in that French-Canadian players are under-drafted, but I think he jumps to conclusions by saying it's discrimination. The fact that less players are drafted doesn't necessarily entail only discrimination to me but I bet in the minds of some GMs, players, staff w/e it's definitely present (implicit or explicit).

I think it definitely does expose some holes in common perceptions that get thrown around by sports-writers but it's hard to know if scouting staff and the GM's staff really think these things without interviewing them (and good luck getting a solid, reliable answer from them even if it is true...)

I disagree with him on the idea that Quebec needs a separate team to compete during the World Juniors. I think instead more exposure should be given to Quebec players by having some sort of inter-Canadian championship based on provinces or something would be more interesting and would give better exposure to French-Canadians so that more are considered for national selection.

Seems like a really interesting read though, I'll try and pick it up if it's not too expensive.

Moobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 02:12 AM
  #8
llamateizer
Registered User
 
llamateizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Country:
Posts: 5,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaZn0 View Post
whats a french name?

is Denis Grebeshkov, or Mike Ribeiro a french name?
A french name is Alex tanguay, Marc-andré Bergeron, Guillaume Latendresse...


Matthew Lombardi is more an english name than french.
the writer of the book said that If Matthew lombardi (born in montreal) had a french name, he could've never played in the NHL.

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 02:39 AM
  #9
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,087
vCash: 500
Maybe junior hockey in Quebec should encourage English instruction and continue working with other provinces/leagues to integrate and centralize scouting.

The NHL is English, there'd be no point in making a bigger divide.

Unless of course, Quebec starts their own francophone professional hockey league too.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 02:48 AM
  #10
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH
 
DDs not undersized's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bangkok
Country: Thailand
Posts: 3,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moobles View Post
I think he makes a valid point in that French-Canadian players are under-drafted, but I think he jumps to conclusions by saying it's discrimination. The fact that less players are drafted doesn't necessarily entail only discrimination to me but I bet in the minds of some GMs, players, staff w/e it's definitely present (implicit or explicit).

I think it definitely does expose some holes in common perceptions that get thrown around by sports-writers but it's hard to know if scouting staff and the GM's staff really think these things without interviewing them (and good luck getting a solid, reliable answer from them even if it is true...)

I disagree with him on the idea that Quebec needs a separate team to compete during the World Juniors. I think instead more exposure should be given to Quebec players by having some sort of inter-Canadian championship based on provinces or something would be more interesting and would give better exposure to French-Canadians so that more are considered for national selection.

Seems like a really interesting read though, I'll try and pick it up if it's not too expensive.
I agree with most of this.

The word "discrimination" is probably too strong here. It might have been the case in the 50's or 60's, but I would call it a "bias" instead. It's probably not even something that scouts do consciently.

And this bias is not necessarily against French Canadian players specifically. Maybe it's more against "French Canadian players issued from the QJMHL".

But no matter why, for some reasons, scouts seem to believe that French Canadians players are too soft to play in the big league, even if they get impressive numbers. This is why players like St. Louis, Brière, Perrin, Dupuis, M-A Bergeron and Burrows got undrafted, even if they had good stats, while another small player like Corey Locke has been drafted.

And that's also why many talented French Canadian players have been ignored from the World Junior team, because the GMs seem to think that Quebec players are not build for those high intensity games. Over the years, a lot of talented French Canadian players have been ignored (Perron, Vlasic, Brassard, P. Bergeron, Beauchemin, Pominville, Vermette, etc.) The goalers are the exception here, as QJMHL expertise to produce high level goalies has always been recognized.

To call it discrimination is exagerated. Is it just the "Alexandre Daigle syndrome"? I think it's more a misconception over what the QJMHL can really produce, maybe based on an old prejudice unconsciently inherited from older generations. That said, I think those prejudices and misconceptions will slowly disappear with time, especially when we'll see a new generation of scouts and GMs take place.

In conclusion, to say that it's "discrimination" is a severe exageration. But to refute the fact that these misconceptions are existing is also blatant ignorance.

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 02:55 AM
  #11
Leaf Lander
Registered User
 
Leaf Lander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: BWO Headquarters
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,589
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
it is on cbc newsworld right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Maybe junior hockey in Quebec should encourage English instruction and continue working with other provinces/leagues to integrate and centralize scouting.

The NHL is English, there'd be no point in making a bigger divide.

Unless of course, Quebec starts their own francophone professional hockey league too.
I believe that the rusian khl is English for the most part


Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-20-2009 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Merge
Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 03:09 AM
  #12
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 10,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
But no matter why, for some reasons, scouts seem to believe that French Canadians players are too soft to play in the big league, even if they get impressive numbers. This is why players like St. Louis, Brière, Perrin, Dupuis, M-A Bergeron and Burrows got undrafted, even if they had good stats, while another small player like Corey Locke has been drafted.
Ultimately, this is the evidence. If Quebec-born players find their way into the NHL in obscure, indirect routes more often than players from other provinces and regions, then that's sufficient proof that Quebec-born players are, at the very least, under-scouted.

From the players you listed:

- St-Louis - chose the untraditional route (UVM in a bad College division at a time when NCAA was under-scouted) as opposed to the Q. He was discovered and given an opportunity in Calgary (3 goals in 56 games), then was put on waivers and snapped up by the Lightning.

- Briere - was a first-round pick

- Perrin is a poor example (he went to the same UVM, which is not traditionally a haven for hockey talent, and doesn't play in a competitive division) -- further, after finding his way to the NHL, Perrin is already off playing in Russia.

- Dupuis - put up 24 points in his draft year in the Q, then put up 26 points. After his fourth and final year, he had a break-out season of 100+ points, and was then given attention from the Wild who put him on an IHL club then he made the NHL full-time. He was a late bloomer and was snapped up as soon as he enjoyed some (minor) success.

- MA Bergeron - virtually identical tale to Dupuis'

- Burrows - not even a french name at all, so it's hard to categorize him. Regardless, his numbers were underwhelming.


I know you were just giving examples, but the point is that there aren't a disproportionate number of Quebecois who put up great stats, do everything right, and don't get into the NHL in a direct way versus players from other regions.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 03:14 AM
  #13
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH
 
DDs not undersized's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bangkok
Country: Thailand
Posts: 3,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I know you were just giving examples, but the point is that there aren't a disproportionate number of Quebecois who put up great stats, do everything right, and don't get into the NHL in a direct way versus players from other regions.


Well, I'd like to believe you, but it seems like the book is giving statistical evidence of the opposite. I guess we'll have to read it to know if it's well done.

There are also many examples of those players who were extremely talented junior prospects, but who were never given a real shot in the NHL. Just 2 I have in mind :

- Christian Dubé : Drafted 39th, after 101 pts in 71 games. He did even better the year after with 145 pts in 62 games). He was then promoted in the NHL as an 18 years old, but it was apparently too early for him. Sadly, he never got another shot in the NHL, despite a regular progress in his AHL stats.

- Simon Gamache : His junior numbers are simply amazing. 143 pts in 72 games, then drafted 290th, then 184 pts in 72 games! Despite those shocking numbers, he made his pro debut in the ECHL, where he was obviously too strong. The year after, he looked also too strong for the AHL (35g, 77pts). Sadly, the Trashers never gave him a shot, and traded him. It was no different in Nashville, where he was seen as an AHL players or a NHL spare, despite getting 86 pts with Milwaukee. At 25 years old, the Blues finally gave him more NHL games (15), and he showed some promises (7 pts). Sadly, there was the lock-out, and he arrived in Toronto, where he was seen again as a spare, even if he never got a real shot in the NHL.

Today, these 2 players are playing together with Bern, in Switzerland, and they are the best 2 players of what is the best team in this league. I believe both of them could be NHL players right now, but sadly, they got branded as "too soft" or as "AHL caliber" right from the start, which would not have been the case if they were born in London, Ontario, or if their name was "Kyle Chipchura" instead.


Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-20-2009 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Merge
DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 03:47 AM
  #14
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander View Post
I believe that the rusian khl is English for the most part
That and they can't call it the CHL

[QUOTE=Partisan du CH;21687820]I agree with most of this.

The word "discrimination" is probably too strong here. It might have been the case in the 50's or 60's, but I would call it a "bias" instead. It's probably not even something that scouts do consciently.

And this bias is not necessarily against French Canadian players specifically. Maybe it's more against "French Canadian players issued from the QJMHL".

But no matter why, for some reasons, scouts seem to believe that French Canadians players are too soft to play in the big league, even if they get impressive numbers. This is why players like St. Louis, Brière, Perrin, Dupuis, M-A Bergeron and Burrows got undrafted, even if they had good stats, while another small player like Corey Locke has been drafted.
St. Louis, - Small, speedy, but was viewed with limited skill.

Briere - 1st round pick (so the bias is where?) was believed to be a bust.

Perrin - Eric Perrin ? If you mean Perron, well he's doing fine, if you actually mean Eric Perrin, then let me be the first to say that even though Perrin and Locke are the same size, Locke put up far more impressive stats than Perrin did in any level of play.

Pascal Dupuis is a good 4th line player. He's even got some size, more size than Glen Metropolit who had to be signed because he wasn't big enough/ skilled enough to make it. Metro is anglophone as well.

MAB - Had impressive numbers in junior, but in junior, he played in the Q. I'm sure his defensive short comings didn,t just appear in the NHL. On top of that he is small, but I will give you him.

Burrows - He's a feel good story. He wasn't good enough to be drafted, but kept at it and got a contract.


However, Marc Savard, an anglophone went through the same stage as some of those players, and he is more skilled than all of. No bias, but yeah, there's apparently bias towards French Canadians.

Quote:
And that's also why many talented French Canadian players have been ignored from the World Junior team, because the GMs seem to think that Quebec players are not build for those high intensity games. Over the years, a lot of talented French Canadian players have been ignored (Perron, Vlasic, Brassard, P. Bergeron, Beauchemin, Pominville, Vermette, etc.) The goalers are the exception here, as QJMHL expertise to produce high level goalies has always been recognized.
Beauchemin has never been anything except for a year, or two in Anaheim with Chris Pronger, or Scott Niedermayer to hold his hand.

Bergeron was on team Canada. Pierre McGuire reminds anyone who watches tsn about him and Crosby and that team Canada team.

Perron, Vlasic, and Brassard I'm not sure why.

Pominville has choosen to play for team USA and I'm willing to bet Vermette wasn't good enough to make the team.

Quote:
To call it discrimination is exagerated. Is it just the "Alexandre Daigle syndrome"? I think it's more a misconception over what the QJMHL can really produce, maybe based on an old prejudice unconsciently inherited from older generations. That said, I think those prejudices and misconceptions will slowly disappear with time, especially when we'll see a new generation of scouts and GMs take place.
In the Russian challenges, the league that struggles the most is the Q.

From 1983- present day, the Q has won the memorial cup 4 times. Only 4 times, over a 26 year period. The WHL won it 15 times, while the OHL won it 7 times. The Q has 9 runner ups, while the OHL has 13 and the dub 4. Is this showing you that teams in the Q are weak ? Cause it's blatantly obvious to me.

Quote:
In conclusion, to say that it's "discrimination" is a severe exageration. But to refute the fact that these misconceptions are existing is also blatant ignorance.
I know you're French, judging from your English, your user name and well, location. There's nothing wrong with being proud, or wanting everything to be equal for you and people similar to you, but when you're wrong, you're wrong. Can't you and the writer of these book accept the fact that there's no bias, or discrimination, or anything against Francophone players, but the truth is, Quebec is lacking in it's hockey program.

Quebec players aren't making Team Canada and aren't being drafted more frequently not because anglophones don't want them on the team, it's because they're not good enough.

Having played hockey and living 15 minutes away from the Quebec border and like 30 minutes from Shawville (since you've probably never heard of the little town, it's located in Quebec) I played hockey against them for a bit. Needless to say, they didn't do too well and then one year there were no longer in the league. Either they didn't have enough people (It's a pretty small town), or they stopped playing against teams in Ontario and stuck to a Quebec league there.

I guarantee you, there's no discrimination against Quebecers, it's just the hockey program there is failing, or something.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 03:59 AM
  #15
Habitant#1
Registered User
 
Habitant#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Posts: 1,338
vCash: 500
I agree about underdrafting, but not discrimination. Besides, this is getting hypocritical:

Habs drafting, given equal talent, the francophone over the anglophone: respecting the francophone fan base.

29 other teams drafting, given equal talent, drafting the anglophone over the francophone: discrimination.

Can't you easily argue that the Habs are the discriminatory ones and the other teams are respecting their anglophone fanbase?


I'm go email Rejean Tremblay, see what he thinks!

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 04:05 AM
  #16
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH
 
DDs not undersized's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bangkok
Country: Thailand
Posts: 3,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant#1 View Post
I agree about underdrafting, but not discrimination. Besides, this is getting hypocritical:

Habs drafting, given equal talent, the francophone over the anglophone: respecting the francophone fan base.

29 other teams drafting, given equal talent, drafting the anglophone over the francophone: discrimination.

Can't you easily argue that the Habs are the discriminatory ones and the other teams are respecting their anglophone fanbase?


I'm go email Rejean Tremblay, see what he thinks!
Hey! That's an interesting point of view, I must admit... In fact, I think every team that is located in a hockey market tries to get as many local players as possible to please their fanbase. This is just normal. So it probably plays against French Canadian players on many teams, but also against European players.

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 04:12 AM
  #17
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 10,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
There are also many examples of those players who were extremely talented junior prospects, but who were never given a real shot in the NHL. Just 2 I have in mind :

- Christian Dubé : Drafted 39th, after 101 pts in 71 games. He did even better the year after with 145 pts in 62 games). He was then promoted in the NHL as an 18 years old, but it was apparently too early for him. Sadly, he never got another shot in the NHL, despite a regular progress in his AHL stats.

- Simon Gamache : His junior numbers are simply amazing. 143 pts in 72 games, then drafted 290th, then 184 pts in 72 games! Despite those shocking numbers, he made his pro debut in the ECHL, where he was obviously too strong. The year after, he looked also too strong for the AHL (35g, 77pts). Sadly, the Trashers never gave him a shot, and traded him. It was no different in Nashville, where he was seen as an AHL players or a NHL spare, despite getting 86 pts with Milwaukee. At 25 years old, the Blues finally gave him more NHL games (15), and he showed some promises (7 pts). Sadly, there was the lock-out, and he arrived in Toronto, where he was seen again as a spare, even if he never got a real shot in the NHL.

Today, these 2 players are playing together with Bern, in Switzerland, and they are the best 2 players of what is the best team in this league. I believe both of them could be NHL players right now, but sadly, they got branded as "too soft" or as "AHL caliber" right from the start, which would not have been the case if they were born in London, Ontario, or if their name was "Kyle Chipchura" instead.
Dube was a 2nd round pick, so I don't see how it follows that he was branded as an AHL calibre player from the start. If that was the case, why would any team spend a 2nd round pick on him? Further, he played over 25 games in the NHL in his first pro season. He had 1 goal and 2 points.

He proceeded to be less than impressive in his subsequent two NHL camps and AHL campaigns, tossing up a grand total of 0 goals in 15 AHL playoff games, and 32 goals in 137 AHL games.

I watched Dube in camps and in the AHL. He was a perimeter player. He was great in the Q, but bad in the pros--and he was given ample opportunity. In fact, he was given more opportunity than your beloved Corey Locke, who put up at least equally impressive statistics as Dube.

Gamache has had an opportunity with three different NHL teams and has played over 45 NHL games. How much more opportunity does one need? During that time, he had 6 goals and 13 points. Didn't he prove himself unworthy?

What's the difference between Simon Gamache and Peter Sejna, for example?

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 04:43 AM
  #18
Moobles
Registered User
 
Moobles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,551
vCash: 500
I think the QMJHL definitely deserves a bit of an overhaul in terms of its internal structure (there's been some serious problems over the years there =\) and it probably is affected the development of some young players in the Q but to suggest that the Q is an inadequate league or that it's soft is . It also affects both anglophone and francophone players since both play in this league.

Quote:
I know you're French, judging from your English, your user name and well, location. There's nothing wrong with being proud, or wanting everything to be equal for you and people similar to you, but when you're wrong, you're wrong.
It's this kind of attitude that can frustrate francophones and perpetuates stereotypes about anglophones. Can't you see this comes off not only as demeaning but condescending? Have you bothered to read the summary of this article, or have you read any article before on francophone drafting in the NHL? Sirois points out that there's almost 2x the chance for anglophone Quebecers to get drafted into the NHL over francophone Quebecers. Sirois is not an idiot and he's using two control groups in a correlational study that theoretically live and train in similar environments (whether that's actually true is up for question). Both anglo and franco Quebecers play in the Q and both get drafted from the Q- why is then twice as likely for an Anglophone Quebecer to get drafted into the NHL when he comes from the same coaching, training and living environment who's grown up alongside francophone friends ?

Is it discrimination? It's possible, but I don't think it's proven or that Sirois' conclusions entail the latter. Bias as Partisan pointed out is probably more likely given that NHL teams don't have as much of a rationale to discriminate against players if they can get talent other teams can't. There might be other factors too such as better access to cross-Canada training for anglophones or allophones (who afaik are ignored or unaccounted for in the study, probably assuming Anglos are Allos for the most part) due to less language barriers or anglos/allos being able to more easily attend American schools and colleges- some of which have good hockey programs. Might even be linguistic pressures on Francophone players to integrate into the NHL's anglo culture who knows- Sirois' study addresses the contours of statistics not these sorts of personal things (or not in great detail).

Quote:
Can't you and the writer of these book accept the fact that there's no bias, or discrimination, or anything against Francophone players, but the truth is, Quebec is lacking in it's hockey program.
As I've mentioned you've ignored some pretty important facts, and it seems your argument is more an emotional one that's built on anecdotes and appeals to the idea that francophone Quebec is fully to blame (while the Q definitely does need work I think it's unfair to levy criticism given the facts). I don't think anyone here is arguing that NHL executives go out of their way to exclude French-Canadian players (perhaps if one was a really big jerk...in Toronto ), but that a bias is [perhaps even more sinisterly] pervasive in the culture of NHL executives, scouts, broadcasters, players etc. It's something the NHL should look into and work on, but it's not something to berrate players about or execs if it's impersonal like that. Like others have said, it might even reasonably apply to Euros and other foreign players. It's just something that needs to be addressed and communicated better, and hopefully more studies are done on stuff like this (not just francos too all sorts of groups, it's very interesting to me )

Moobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 07:11 AM
  #19
kent_carlson
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 763
vCash: 500
Well, that's not something new. I hope he brings some new data/facts or else he is almost 10 years late. Some posters don't like the term discrimination, but hey look at some posts on this board, "no more russians", "we need more canadians", give them a job as a gm and we will end up with ... discrimination.
Just last year Pat Quinn said something like the Q players were divers ... what a shame.

kent_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 07:17 AM
  #20
Fozz
Registered User
 
Fozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 6,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onisac View Post
No they don't. This is ridiculous. Some players might say some racist stuff, laugh at frenchies or whatever but that's IT. I doubt they'll ignore a player at the draft because he's a quebecer. Seriously, what's wrong with quebecers? They always seem to want to seem like they're victims and think they're special or something. I'm not racist or anything, I'm born here and been living here for 18 years and am technically a Quebecer. I just find their pack mentality ridiculous sometimes.
Isn't that what discrimination is?

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 07:17 AM
  #21
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
Personally I think it makes us look like a bunch of whiners... and the reason why not a lot of Quebec players get drafted is because Quebec players suck, perhaps? It's a well known fact the Q is way behind in terms of developing NHL players.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 07:49 AM
  #22
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,467
vCash: 500
Quebecers are so complexed it's not even funny.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 08:06 AM
  #23
TheCH*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,060
vCash: 500
Pretty much every team has francophones. Teams are going to take whoever best suites them. They don't give a **** where you are from.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 08:06 AM
  #24
onice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,057
vCash: 210
"....Sirois instead attempts to demonstrate with stats and numbers that the hockey league's managers don't hold French-Canadian players in as high esteem as their anglophone peers....."

The league's managers also hold German, Italian, French and African hockey players in lower esteem than anglophone ones. Why didn't he write a book on that? I think there are less African hockey players than Quebecois players in the NHL. That is an obvious case of discrimination.

I'm really getting tried of this victim mentality.

Let's do some comparisons with Swedish & Finnish players.

Sweden has a pop of 9 mil. There 37 Swedes in the NHl
Finland has a pop of 5 mil. There are 26 Fins in the NHL.
Quebec has a pop of 8 mil. There are about 60 Quebecois in the NHL.

I think the book has a point. There's is discrimination in the NHL. The Anglo GM's are bending over backwards to sign Francophone players.


Last edited by onice: 10-20-2009 at 08:13 AM.
onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 08:19 AM
  #25
Not The One
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montréal, Qc.
Posts: 1,284
vCash: 500
I don't think anybody is seriously arguing that top francophone players are discriminated against, but that statistically there seems to be a bias against lesser players.

Somebody brough a very interesting point from the book in a previous thread yesterday:

Quote:
I think it's quite unfortunate this thread turned into this mess because from what I've heard of Robert Sirois' work, I think the data look legit. Does this prove that there's discrimination? I don't know but his work is worth a look at and I don't think you'll refute his conclusion only with 1 line answers.

Francophone Quebecers were less likely to get drafted than anglophone Quebecers
Francophones are generally selected lower in the draft
10% of all NHL players were completely passed over in the draft but managed to break into the league; the rate among players from Quebec, 19%, is almost twice as high
One in 334 anglophone midget players was drafted by the NHL compared with one in 618 francophones
Of the 176 francophone Quebecers who played three or more seasons in the NHL, 42% won an NHL trophy or were named to the all-star team during their careers

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=2118496
There is mounting evidence that the Q is underscouted. I'm wondering if that is because most teams don't have francophone amateur scouts and unilingual anglophone scouts don't feel confortable going to places like Rimouski, Baie-Comeau, Chicoutimi, etc.

Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.