HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Colorado - Pittsburgh - Minnesota

Old
10-20-2009, 01:39 AM
cody275
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Colorado - Pittsburgh - Minnesota

At Deadline:

To Pittsburgh:

Marek Svatos
Owen Nolan

To Colorado:

Andrew Burnette
Matt Cooke

To Minnesota:

Pascal Dupuis
2010 2nd Round Pick (Colorado)
2010 5th Pick (Pittsburgh)
TJ Hensick
Casey Pierro-Zabotel
Ben Lovejoy/Alex Velischek

Pittsburgh Gains - Marek Svatos and Owen Nolan.

Pittsburgh Loses - Pascal Dupuis, Matt Cooke, CPZ, Ben Lovejoy/Alex Velischek, and a 2010 5th Round Pick.

Colorado Gains - Andrew Burnette and Matt Cooke

Colorado Loses - Marek Svatos, TJ Hensick, 2nd Round Pick

Minnesota Gains - Pascal Dupuis, TJ Hensick, CPZ, Ben Lovejoy/Alex Velischek, 2010 2nd Round (Colorado), 2010 5th Round (Pittsburgh)

Minnesota Loses - Andrew Burnette and Owen Nolan

Reasoning:

Colorado - Come deadline if Colorado still looks like a possibility for the playoffs, they will probably try to improve their roster a bit. They need to improve their 2nd line and having Burnette would help the team.

Letting Burnette walk was one of Colorados more recent mistakes.
Cooke gives them a bit more depth, if they are going to the playoffs, and could add more competition to the team.

Pittsburgh - They get two wingers that would fit better on the second line then most players on their team. Both wingers are also UFA's at the end of the year so they could be resigned or let go if they don't mesh well with Malkin or Crosby. This gives them a bit more cap flexibility going into the offseason.

Minnesota - If by the deadline it looks like they need a rebuild they would probably try and get some return for some of their veteran players like Nolan and Burnette.
They get some picks in the upcoming draft, some prospects, and Pascal Dupuis, who Fletcher may be interested in from his days with the Pens.
Hensick can play in the NHL already, but with Colorado's depth at center with Stastney - Duchene - O'Reilly. He has become a victim to the numbers game.

They get a decent return for their veterans.

This is just something I thought up.

Does it fit each teams needs?

Is the value fair? Does one team need to add something, or is someone giving away to much?

What can be done to improve it?

cody275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 01:45 AM
Silas Robertson
Hey, all in. Jack.

Eh, probably not from the Pens. Cooke is a key component on a line that's been our most consistent since the middle of last year. Svatos really wouldn't mesh well in DB's system, so if we're giving up Dupuis, CPZ, Lovejoy/Velischek, and a pick, I'd rather just acquire Brunette instead of involving the Avs.

Silas Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 01:46 AM
SomeDude

Edit: didn't see CPZ was in there.

SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 01:48 AM
cody275
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOGOgadgetGuinos View Post
Eh, probably not from the Pens. Cooke is a key component on a line that's been our most consistent since the middle of last year. Svatos really wouldn't mesh well in DB's system, so if we're giving up Dupuis, CPZ, Lovejoy/Velischek, and a pick, I'd rather just acquire Brunette instead of involving the Avs.
I wasn't sure on Cooke to tell you the truth. It was more that I saw he was a UFA at the end of the year, and helped even out salarys slightly. Would there be a different player or prospect that the Pens would add instead to make it work, if Cooke wasn't available?

Old
10-20-2009, 01:48 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

The values fine from a Pens POV. The Pens seem to lose a lot, but more quantity than quality. I don't see it happening, though. The Pens won't move Cooke, imo. He's a valuable agitator and plays well with Staal & Kennedy on their 3rd line.

Looks like Colorado & Pittsburgh will both be buyers at the deadline. I don't see them coming together for any trades.

I could see Pittsburgh & Minnesota making a trade because of Fletchers familiarity with the Pens prospect pool and the Pens need for a veteran 2nd line winger like Nolan or Brunette.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 01:56 AM
Silas Robertson
Hey, all in. Jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody275 View Post
I wasn't sure on Cooke to tell you the truth. It was more that I saw he was a UFA at the end of the year, and helped even out salarys slightly. Would there be a different player or prospect that the Pens would add instead to make it work, if Cooke wasn't available?
Are there any scoring forwards besides Svatos available from Colorado? He just doesn't seem like the aggressive forechecker that playing in Bylsma's system demands.

I'm sure that tweeners like Bayda, Letestu, etc could be had if you're looking for NHL-ready players. As far as prospects go, I'd deal anyone outside of Tangradi, Caputi, Despres and possibly (many fans will disagree with me on this guy) Veilleux if the deal was right.

Old
10-20-2009, 01:58 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Avs don't need Cooke.

Keep the Pens out of it and just bring Brunette back to the Avs. It doesn't matter if its now or at the deadline, I want him back with the Avs. It was a huge mistake letting him walk.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 01:59 AM
SomeDude

Quote:
and possibly (many fans will disagree with me on this guy) Veilleux if the deal was right.
I don't see how Pens fans could disagree with you. Veilleux is a lot like Espo, in that if he reaches his potential he'll be a very good player, but he's probably more likely to not reach it. If I was Shero, he'd be one of my first bargaining chips.

Old
10-20-2009, 02:05 AM
cody275
HFBoards Sponsor

Svatos can be the active forechecker, it is more playing him with people that are defensively responsible because there is no nice way of putting it, he is horrible defensive.

I thought he played decent against Detroit in the second half of the game, especially the last few minutes of regulation and the time he got in OT.

It is just he doesn't fit in with Duchene. That is a lot of pressure for a rookie, to be responsible for any mistakes he makes and ones that his winger makes to.

Also Svatos just hasn't seemed to mesh well with Duchene yet. He needs to play with someone more experienced to NHL style hockey to be effective. I thought he looked good with Sakic for example, someone who could set him up perfectly and make up for any mistakes he made.

Crosby or Malkin would probably play well with him. There is always Staal if necessary.

Obviously if he doesn't interest Pittsburgh though, Colorado probably wouldn't have anyone else. Well there is Wolski if doesn't smarten up and Pittsburgh wants to deal with him, but he wants to play center so.........

Old
10-20-2009, 02:06 AM
Silas Robertson
Hey, all in. Jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDude View Post
I don't see how Pens fans could disagree with you. Veilleux is a lot like Espo, in that if he reaches his potential he'll be a very good player, but he's probably more likely to not reach it. If I was Shero, he'd be one of my first bargaining chips.
Heh, you disagree with me. I said he's one of the guys I wouldn't deal.

Old
10-20-2009, 02:10 AM
PeterTheGreat

Don't like it from an Avs POV.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 02:13 AM
SomeDude

Quote:
Heh, you disagree with me. I said he's one of the guys I wouldn't deal.
Yeah, I re-read your post and realized I misread it the first time. Your opinion on Veilleux is still valid. I hope he develops into a power forward ala Malone, and was happy when I read the scouting reports after the Pens drafted him, but after seeing him in person a few times I was pretty underwhelmed. I think with guys like Caputi and Tangradi in the system, he is one of our best trading chips as far as prospects go.

Old
10-20-2009, 02:15 AM
cody275
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
Don't like it from an Avs POV.
What is wrong with it, bring in a good 2nd line winger, capable of playing top line if necessary and Sacco shakes the lines up.

Avs fans are always complaining about Svatos (why I don't know), Hensick will probably never get a shot at the team with their depth at center, and if they can make the playoffs at the deadline they will want to improve the team then to earn more money from playoffs income.

I am curious, I saw nothing wrong with it from the the Avs POV. I am an Avs fan afterall.....

Old
10-20-2009, 02:15 AM
Erickkelly26

Although it does fill the void that the Avs have at left wing, i don't like the idea of giving up a 2nd rounder in a deep draft class. And if the Avs have a draft like 2009 then that could be an underated player like Ryan O'Reilly that could make the team that very same year

Erickkelly26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 02:17 AM
cody275
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erickkelly26 View Post
Although it does fill the void that the Avs have at left wing, i don't like the idea of giving up a 2nd rounder in a deep draft class. And if the Avs have a draft like 2009 then that could be an underated player like Ryan O'Reilly that could make the team that very same year
Remember, this is assuming the Avs have a shot at the playoffs come the deadline, which would mean that the second would be a mid-late second not a second that is only 3 picks away from the first round

Old
10-20-2009, 02:21 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Svatos doesn't fit the Penguins system and Cooke has proven to be an ideal player in said system. The Avs just aren't good trading partners since there's little they'd be willing to trade that would interest us, as said if the Penguins were going to make a move like this at the deadline I'd rather just leave Colorado out and go for Brunette.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 02:24 AM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
What is wrong with it, bring in a good 2nd line winger, capable of playing top line if necessary and Sacco shakes the lines up.

Avs fans are always complaining about Svatos (why I don't know), Hensick will probably never get a shot at the team with their depth at center, and if they can make the playoffs at the deadline they will want to improve the team then to earn more money from playoffs income.

I am curious, I saw nothing wrong with it from the the Avs POV. I am an Avs fan afterall.....
Theres a couple things.

1. I don't want to give up a 2nd round pick. Svatos I don't mind trading, and Hensick either, though I'd probably rather just get picks for them.

2. I HATE Cooke. He is a little punk. I don't want him on my team.

I love Brunette though. Something around Svatos and/or Hensick for Brunette i'd be fine with, but no way to the 2nd round pick leaving or us acquiring Cooke.

Plus Avs management won't trade for Brunette. That would be like admitting a mistake in not re-signing him when they had the chance.

Old
10-20-2009, 02:24 AM
Erickkelly26

Quote:
Remember, this is assuming the Avs have a shot at the playoffs come the deadline, which would mean that the second would be a mid-late second not a second that is only 3 picks away from the first round
Hey, a man can dream can't he?

Even if the Avalanche do make the playoffs i still want them to consider sticking with the rebuild, or at least sticking with their first round draft picks because in ten years we have traded away 4 of our first rounders. One of them turned out to be Luca Sbisa and i'm too lazy to find the others, but first rounders IMO are very important.

Old
10-20-2009, 02:25 AM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Svatos doesn't fit the Penguins system and Cooke has proven to be an ideal player in said system. The Avs just aren't good trading partners since there's little they'd be willing to trade that would interest us, as said if the Penguins were going to make a move like this at the deadline I'd rather just leave Colorado out and go for Brunette.
Pretty much. We both need the same thing, scoring wingers. So we're not going to be good trading partners.

Old
10-20-2009, 02:26 AM
cody275
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Theres a couple things.

1. I don't want to give up a 2nd round pick. Svatos I don't mind trading, and Hensick either, though I'd probably rather just get picks for them.

I love Brunette though. Something around Svatos and/or Hensick for Brunette i'd be fine with, but no way to the 2nd round pick leaving or us acquiring Cooke.

Plus Avs management won't trade for Brunette. That would be like admitting a mistake in not re-signing him when they had the chance.
It is completely new management, they would be able to think of it more as fixing a mistake that the old management made before they were fired

Old
10-20-2009, 02:26 AM
Erickkelly26

Quote:
Theres a couple things.

Wasn't paying attention at the time, but does anyone think Brunette didn't want to resign with the Avalanche because they moved him from 2nd line to 3rd line when they signed Forsberg at the end of the season?

Old
10-20-2009, 02:29 AM
cody275
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Hey, a man can dream can't he?

Even if the Avalanche do make the playoffs i still want them to consider sticking with the rebuild, or at least sticking with their first round draft picks because in ten years we have traded away 4 of our first rounders. One of them turned out to be Luca Sbisa and i'm too lazy to find the others, but first rounders IMO are very important.
I know that Avs need to keep their first, unless they get a young superstar like Kovalchuk

But seriously, a second wouldn't be bad to management, they can always trade up at the draft if there is someone they want. And the money making it to the playoffs would make the Avs would probably persuade them to trade a second

Old
10-20-2009, 02:29 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Theres a couple things.

You might hate him, but he's a very effective player. Much better than he gets credit for on these boards. He's an agitator that can actually play. He can skate, hit, forecheck, score a little and agitate with the best of them.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 02:31 AM
cody275
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Wasn't paying attention at the time, but does anyone think Brunette didn't want to resign with the Avalanche because they moved him from 2nd line to 3rd line when they signed Forsberg at the end of the season?
No apparently it was because FG (GM at the time) lowballed him the contract negotiations and wouldn't give him a reasonable contract offer.

There was an article on it, I will try and find it then post a link. It really showed how messed up Colorado's management was.

It showed again with how they dealt with Lappy, and he had some words for them before he left Denver

Old
10-20-2009, 02:32 AM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
No.

He said he wanted to stay, and that the Avs didn't even call him before he hit free agency and signed with Minnesota. He was upset to be leaving.

He deserved at least a courtesy call from the Avs but the Avs wanted to go younger and faster and they believed David Jones could fill his role (and I think eventually he will be, but not last year. This year he's started well though with 5 points in 4 games.) Still would like to have BOTH on the team.