HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Colorado - Pittsburgh - Minnesota

Old
10-20-2009, 03:32 AM
PeterTheGreat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cody275 View Post
No apparently it was because FG (GM at the time) lowballed him the contract negotiations and wouldn't give him a reasonable contract offer.

There was an article on it, I will try and find it then post a link. It really showed how messed up Colorado's management was.

It showed again with how they dealt with Lappy, and he had some words for them before he left Denver
Read my post above. The Avs never even contacted Brunette.

EDIT: The post is the last on the previous page.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 03:35 AM
Erickkelly26

Quote:
I know that Avs need to keep their first, unless they get a young superstar like Kovalchuk

But seriously, a second wouldn't be bad to management, they can always trade up at the draft if there is someone they want. And the money making it to the playoffs would make the Avs would probably persuade them to trade a second

My thoughts on Kovalchuk: He is proven top 5 talent, but he is also a serious commitment and a huge cap hit.... he would generate alot of revenue, but what would we have to give up in order to get him, unless of course he hits UFA status. The cubbards bare and we would have to give up a couple good prospects + a proven player (Wolski?) and when your trading prospects away when your cubbards bare then it's seriously hurting your team.

The one thing i have like about Colorado (post-lockout) is that they haven't given out any ridiculously high-salary, long term contracts to talented players. (see Rick Dipietro)

Erickkelly26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 03:36 AM
cody275
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
Read my post above. The Avs never even contacted Brunette.

EDIT: The post is the last on the previous page.
There was an article from about a year and a half after he left I think it was, where he said that he was contacted but they wouldn't give him a reasonable offer so he had to leave.

cody275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 03:39 AM
Erickkelly26

Quote:
No apparently it was because FG (GM at the time) lowballed him the contract negotiations and wouldn't give him a reasonable contract offer.

There was an article on it, I will try and find it then post a link. It really showed how messed up Colorado's management was.

It showed again with how they dealt with Lappy, and he had some words for them before he left Denver

Really, Francois Giguere not wanting to give out a large sized contract in order to retain a player that actually is new! (see: Tucker, Clark)

Old
10-20-2009, 03:40 AM
Erickkelly26

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
No.

He said he wanted to stay, and that the Avs didn't even call him before he hit free agency and signed with Minnesota. He was upset to be leaving.

He deserved at least a courtesy call from the Avs but the Avs wanted to go younger and faster and they believed David Jones could fill his role (and I think eventually he will be, but not last year. This year he's started well though with 5 points in 4 games.) Still would like to have BOTH on the team.
Brunette would have provided a nice temporary (1-3 year) stop-gap until Jones developed into the player he is expected to be

Old
10-20-2009, 03:43 AM
Erickkelly26

oh and David Jones, what a great player he has turned out to be. A ninth round draft pick 288th overall 5th from last turns out to be a 2nd line player

Last edited by Erickkelly26: 10-20-2009 at 03:44 AM. Reason: i think i have accidently gotten this thread off topic, sorry
Old
10-20-2009, 04:11 AM
shadow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erickkelly26 View Post
Wasn't paying attention at the time, but does anyone think Brunette didn't want to resign with the Avalanche because they moved him from 2nd line to 3rd line when they signed Forsberg at the end of the season?
I actually just posted this somewhere else, but for anyone from another team wondering: Smyth was bumped to the 3rd line, not Brunette (who had 5 goals in 10 playoff games playing on the 1st line with Sakic and Wolski).

This trade for Colorado, while not horrible, isn't very appetizing to think about. Yeah, Brunette is better than Svatos, but would he be able to keep up with Duchene after just having knee surgery? Or heck, could he have before that even?

Cooke, on the other hand, isn't needed nor wanted. Cody McLeod is a very similar player, and I don't see Colorado basically shipping Hensick and a 2nd for Cooke.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 04:15 AM
shadow1

Quote:
There was an article from about a year and a half after he left I think it was, where he said that he was contacted but they wouldn't give him a reasonable offer so he had to leave.
Brunette still wonders why

Quote:
Brunette said the Avalanche tendered what he called a "courtesy" offer of a one-year deal "for the same or less money" than the $1.6 million he made last season.
Things like this are why Giguere was fired and drove the team to last place.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 09:53 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 900
I don't ever want to see Matt Cooke in an Avalanche jersey. That is my opinion on this trade proposal.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 11:28 AM
JTG

I don't think the value is bad, but one would have to consider how great that line of Cooke-Staal-Kennedy is for the Pens. They have been scoring more than the line of Kunitz-Crosby-Guerin, all the while playing some pretty solid defense.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 11:44 AM
SeventyOne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
I don't ever want to see Matt Cooke in an Avalanche jersey. That is my opinion on this trade proposal.
Ughhh... so says the guy whos a fan of a team with TUCKER on it...

SeventyOne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 11:54 AM
ManOnTheMoon
Hejdas Gonna Hejd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyOne View Post
Most Avs fans weren't happy about signing Tucker, either. And you raise another question, why would we take on Cooke when we have Tucker and McLeod already? We iced a team full of grinders last year, that didn't exactly pan out.

ManOnTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 12:02 PM
thedoctor
                    

I like Bruno, but I detested his lack of speed and the style his lines were forced to play to be successful. And that was 2 years ago, he's older and slower still now.

No from CO, big no.

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 12:08 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyOne View Post
And UGHHH... nowhere did I say I like having Darcy Tucker on my team.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 12:18 PM
llp

Wild get CPZ and Hensick? Make this trade happen right now, I can't wait for the deadline.

llp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 12:53 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

There's no real need for this to become a 3 way deal. It's too complicated. Break it apart. First off, Colorado has absolutely no need for Cooke, and Pittsburgh has absolutely no need for Svatos.

Hensick & pick (not a 2nd) for Brunette
Casey Pierro-Zabotel & Pascal Dupuis & 5th round pick for Owen Nolan

Deal Svatos for a mid-level pick to a team that thinks they need to bolster scoring on the wing

Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 01:15 PM
saywut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
There's no real need for this to become a 3 way deal. It's too complicated. Break it apart. First off, Colorado has absolutely no need for Cooke, and Pittsburgh has absolutely no need for Svatos.

Deal Svatos for a mid-level pick to a team that thinks they need to bolster scoring on the wing
The Wild likely say no to both those, and the OP.
Brunette will cost more than a 2nd rounder(in-division would be less likely), and Nolan a 3rd, higher if he goes back to his 30+ goal pace from last season. They don't need 4 scrubs + 2nd + 5th for both. They have no use for Hensick at the NHL level either, CPZ is in the ECHL, Dupuis is an overpaid 4th liner(which the Wild already have in Brodziak), and Lovejoy is a career AHLer. I'd rather have a 3rd round pick than those 4 "assets".

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Avs=Shafted.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 03:08 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post

Minnesota makes out on both of those. Not to mention, the Pens don't even have the cap room to make that deal.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 03:56 PM
AK

I actually think the value of this is pretty good for the Penguins, but I just hate losing Cooke. He's the perfect third liner for them.

Take out Cooke and Svatos, maybe one of the lower picks going from Pittsburgh.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 04:00 PM
Tomahawk214
i'm not even mad

If Nolan became a Penguin I think a tiny piece of my heart would die.

Tomahawk214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 04:33 PM
Crosberry87

I can't see the Pens giving up Cooke, a member of the best 3rd line in hockey...by far.

Crosberry87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 05:41 PM
Silas Robertson
Hey, all in. Jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
Minnesota makes out on both of those. Not to mention, the Pens don't even have the cap room to make that deal.
They will at the deadline.

Silas Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 05:53 PM
Michael Scofield

Actually, from a pens perspective, I'd do that. Sucks to lose Cooke, but I'd still say yes.

Michael Scofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 05:54 PM
Silas Robertson
Hey, all in. Jack.

As would I.

Silas Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote