HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cap May Stay the Same Next Season

Old
10-20-2009, 02:53 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Cap May Stay the Same Next Season

I'm bored as hell at work again, came across this interview with the Bettman, and the early look of things is that the league is projecting a 2-3% increase in revenues this year, so despite all the talk last season that the cap could go down a lot for the 2010-2011 season, perhaps that won't be the case. Bettman seems to think the cap will remain the same for next year, hopefully that's the case cause we don't have much wiggle room as it is.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/...e-up-and-more/

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 02:57 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Seeign how Gainey and other spent this summer, I think they knew it wouldn't change much

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 03:02 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djee#9 View Post
Seeign how Gainey and other spent this summer, I think they knew it wouldn't change much
I would think so too but logical thinking has no place around here. You have to overract to anything and everything at all times.

Old
10-20-2009, 03:08 PM
WestIslander

Actually as per CBC Hockey Night in Canada hotstove last weekend, the salary cap is going down between $1,000,000.00 and $2,000,000.00 next season! Regardless of what happens, we are pretty much tied up for the next 5 seasons unless it goes up by $5,000,000.00 + (so that we can sign someone else or give the likes of Price, Lapierre and others extensions and a pay raise).

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 03:11 PM
Mue

Regardless of whether it remains the same or not things are going to be interesting next off-season (especially with regards to Pleks).

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 03:14 PM
xposbrad

ya, I see it down 1-2m, I can't see how revenues have increased no matter what betterman is saying. Either way, our team needs a nice 4-5m increase so we can add someone good.

xposbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 03:14 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Yeah, I've seen reports that say it will stay the same and I believe it was Gary Bettman said at most it will drop 2 mill.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 03:22 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Actually as per CBC Hockey Night in Canada hotstove last weekend, the salary cap is going down between $1,000,000.00 and $2,000,000.00 next season! Regardless of what happens, we are pretty much tied up for the next 5 seasons unless it goes up by $5,000,000.00 + (so that we can sign someone else or give the likes of Price, Lapierre and others extensions and a pay raise).
Well I would side with bettman and daly over cbc, but that's about what he said, that the cap should stay about the same, could go up a little, could go down a little.

As for us being tied up for the next 5 seasons, the cap should start going up as the economy rebounds. Plus after next season Hammer's 5.5 comes off the books along with Gill's 2.25 and BGL's 1.5M so that's over 9M right there. Granted Markov will get a raise as will others but players can get traded, there's always a way out so you never know what will happen.

Old
10-20-2009, 03:23 PM
Ado*

I've read about an increase to 58,5 - 59 the other day

Ado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 03:28 PM
felixd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ado View Post
I've read about an increase to 58,5 - 59 the other day
I saw that somewhere too but cant find the article anymore.

felixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 03:33 PM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I'm bored as hell at work again, came across this interview with the Bettman, and the early look of things is that the league is projecting a 2-3% increase in revenues this year, so despite all the talk last season that the cap could go down a lot for the 2010-2011 season, perhaps that won't be the case. Bettman seems to think the cap will remain the same for next year, hopefully that's the case cause we don't have much wiggle room as it is.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/...e-up-and-more/
armchair GMs always question potent intelligent NHL GMs... and in the end, the latter end up being right most of the times...

There was a panic movement calling for BG's head because he had spent all our wiggle room and HOW THE CAP WOULD GO DOWN (since they were panicking, they would write in capital letters)
They said that with no other basis than the economic crisis.
While it's good for sharemarket and housemarket... While it's good for Detroit attendance and maybe Phoenix attendance... The major sources of renvue didn't stop to exist and the tickets went up again.

I'm so glad I know have an official source to quote (or close to)...

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 07:11 PM
AntonCH

do not discount the upwards move off the canadian dollar.
A large chunk of league revenues is generated north of the border.
With the dollar headed to parity it can only mean good numbers for the league.

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 08:15 PM
NHLcrazy

Thank you Canadian Dollar.

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Unspoken

i know it is probably impossible, but here is how it should work in an ideal world:
if the salary cap is to go down by X%, the salary of every players on every team should go down by X% in order to preserve the ratio in your wiggle room.
I know it will never happen, but this is how it should work.

It is not the jobs of GM to forecast economic downturns. They shouldn't have to. I wished they focused more on hockey and less on managing the salary cap and other arbitrary rules that came up with the last agreement.

Beside salary, how many decisions not related to hockey end up affecting the team. Players are recalled or sent down based on these arbitrary clause. Not based on efforts or talents.

Chipchura is still in the NHL right now. We all know why.

Unspoken is offline   Reply With Quote