HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Major Junior Changes

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-30-2004, 08:41 AM
  #1
Habber
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Saskatoon, Sask.
Posts: 2,030
vCash: 500
Major Junior Changes

I haven't seen this story posted anywhere, and I haven't seen it on TSN or any other online source, but it is being reported on local radio here in Sask.

Canada hockey is considering a proposal consisting of a 10 point plan to move into the future. The main points are:
1. CHL teams only allowed 1 European and 1 American
2. CHL teams only allowed 1 16 year old on the roster
3. Expand scholarship plans for Canadian Universities to stem the flow of players to US college. (applies to lower tier junior I assume)

Sounds like Canada Hockey is getting sick and tired of developing other countries prospects, and that they want to make the calibre of University hockey better so that kids can stay in Canada to play and still have a shot at getting drafted/signed.

No idea why this isn't on TSN, but the radio station the story is on is very reliable and I have no doubts the story is true. They did mention that the proposal is still in the planning stages and that this is more of a long term plan, as well they said Hockey Canada expects a lot of oppostion to it.

I, for one, think it makes good sense. Opinions?

Habber is offline  
Old
11-30-2004, 08:50 AM
  #2
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
Canada hockey is considering a proposal consisting of a 10 point plan to move into the future. The main points are:
1. CHL teams only allowed 1 European and 1 American
I personally don't care for this one. 2 Europeans is fine, we have expanded the CHL leagues by enough teams that the extra talent from Europe helps to fill our own talent gap. I would even go to 3 Europeans before I would go down to 1. As for Americans... I dunno, what if your team is in Lewiston, or Saginaw, Erie, Spokane, Portland, etc.???? This seems ridiculous for the CHL. Maybe it would apply for Tier II or some other levels.
Quote:
2. CHL teams only allowed 1 16 year old on the roster
Merit seems to work for me on this one... if more than one 16-year old show they can play, then why not let them on the team?
Quote:
3. Expand scholarship plans for Canadian Universities to stem the flow of players to US college. (applies to lower tier junior I assume)

Sounds like Canada Hockey is getting sick and tired of developing other countries prospects, and that they want to make the calibre of University hockey better so that kids can stay in Canada to play and still have a shot at getting drafted/signed.
This would be to lure kids to the CHL, with a continuation of the existing scholarship programs. Those are basically as alternative career paths for the kids who don't make it to pro, as an incentive against going to the NCAA, but I doubt if Hockey Canada gives a hoot about strengthening the calibre of the CIS.

Personally, I would approach these questions as "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". The CHL could make some of the on-ice rule changes to adapt to what's going on in the AHL (and presumably eventually the NHL), but I don't really see a need for the roster restrictions proposed there.

Blind Gardien is offline  
Old
11-30-2004, 10:27 AM
  #3
Beatnik
Registered User
 
Beatnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,637
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
I haven't seen this story posted anywhere, and I haven't seen it on TSN or any other online source, but it is being reported on local radio here in Sask.

Canada hockey is considering a proposal consisting of a 10 point plan to move into the future. The main points are:
1. CHL teams only allowed 1 European and 1 American
2. CHL teams only allowed 1 16 year old on the roster
3. Expand scholarship plans for Canadian Universities to stem the flow of players to US college. (applies to lower tier junior I assume)

Sounds like Canada Hockey is getting sick and tired of developing other countries prospects, and that they want to make the calibre of University hockey better so that kids can stay in Canada to play and still have a shot at getting drafted/signed.

No idea why this isn't on TSN, but the radio station the story is on is very reliable and I have no doubts the story is true. They did mention that the proposal is still in the planning stages and that this is more of a long term plan, as well they said Hockey Canada expects a lot of oppostion to it.

I, for one, think it makes good sense. Opinions?
I think those idea are stupid. The league is better than ever I see no reason to go back in the past specially that there is more and more team.

Québec would be horrible without Andricopoulous Ryan Lavalée Hennessy Gratchev Churilov Radulov etc

Ultimately we could lost even the best canadians if the caliber go down too much.

Beatnik is offline  
Old
11-30-2004, 01:11 PM
  #4
All-Star
Registered User
 
All-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Snake Mountain
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
1. CHL teams only allowed 1 European and 1 American
This would only serve to lower the level of competition in the Canadian Junior leagues hindering the development of Canadian players.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
2. CHL teams only allowed 1 16 year old on the roster
See my response to #1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
3. Expand scholarship plans for Canadian Universities to stem the flow of players to US college. (applies to lower tier junior I assume)
See my response to #1.

All-Star is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.