HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 9 | 10.19.09 - San Jose Sharks @ New York Rangers | 7:00pm Versus (HD)

Old
10-20-2009, 11:22 AM
t3hg00se

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
i haven't read the majority of this thread to see what you guys think but these are my thoughts on the game

1. Vally will not be here next season

2. Avery should not be on the 2nd line. He works hard but he's just not that skilled and it showed a lot last night. I dont think it would hurt to put Lisin there for a few games to try it out and i have a feeling thats going to happen

3. up to this point Brashear has been a horrible signing. two goals were easily preventable last night if he didnt suck....whats his contract, 1.4mil? that money could have been better spent.

4. I've seen Reddens name pop up here but he's actually playing really well. A few mistakes here or there but he's been solid. The real trouble spots are Rosi and Girardi....i stuck up for roszival all offseason but he's garbage right now, hope he turns it around

5. overall it wasn't actually all that bad and shouldn't be a cause for much concern. I feel like the offense got lazy and lapsed on their back checking.....at least 3 goals were a direct result of a backchecker failing to do their job...the defense continued to be mediocre and vally reminded us how much we rely on henrik to stop the first shot in this system
You're aware that Avery was a +2 last night with 2 points, right?

He looked great, and will probably be in the top-6 for the rest of the season.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 11:24 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

This thread is eerily reminiscent of the Buffalo game last year when the Sabres came in an completely dominated the Rangers after their hot start.

Don't take this loss lightly. While they have a good record, they havent played well in three straight games, just like last season.

Yeah, yeah, different coaches, different players. I got it. But games like last night's could be the start of a downward spiral, Hank or no Hank.

It's easy to sit here and say they Lost because of Vally, but the truth is they went almost 50 mins without scoring a goal after going up 2-0 and were blowing coverages, not backchecking and allowing waaaaaay too many OMR's (like the LAK and Tor games).

Also, after 2 week of parades and awards and ceremonies for our defense, reality smashed a lot of people in the face last night. They're ok, but prone to major lapses at inopportune times. Something I have said all along but get blasted on here for being "negative"

Gilroy is fun to watch with the puck and has the makings of a solid pro, but right now he is abysmal defending. Roszival has always sucked, contract or no contract. Staal and Girardi are hit or miss and take too many penalties. DZ is 19 and a breath of fresh air, so he gets a mulligan in my mind, and Redden hasnt been as "great" (LOL) as some people make him out to be.

Teams will start rounding into form over the next two months (mid-November is always my barometer). Going 7-2 to start a season is nice, but everybody on this board should hearken lessons learned from 1991, 1993, 1996, 2006 and 2009 that hot starts are nothing to get excited about unless they maintain it up to and beyond the first 1/3 of the season

I like the fast start because points against the EC will help come playoff-seeding time and I DO think this team is much better suited for the playoffs now that they can score goals. I'm still sticking with my prediction of 6th in the EC, but it would be higher if the stupid circus didnt give us a 25-game road trip to close the season.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 11:26 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers4Life74 View Post
newsflash,the team gave up way before Hank came in.they basically stopped doing anything right after getting the 2-0 lead.example:that Heatley goal,he should have never been allowed to skate all the way to the goal,he should have been knocked on his ass.but lets blame that one on Vally too.
Newsflash, "The game was over when he came in" is the same as "the team gave up way before Hank came in." I believe.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Rangers4Life74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
Newsflash, "The game was over when he came in" is the same as "the team gave up way before Hank came in." I believe.
right,which means it wouldnt have mattered who was in goal for the Rangers because their defense stunk the entire game.so if Hank started,maybe we would have lost 5-3 instead of 7-3,i see your point.

Rangers4Life74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 11:35 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
Confidence, Momentum. 2 very important factors that were lost by Valley when they tied the game on weak goals. You can't say The Rangers would have played as poorly if they didn't lose all that if Hank was in net.
I'm not trying to split hairs, but Heatley strolled in past two Ranger defensemen and a forward without as much as a dirty look on that second goal. Weak goal, even weaker defensive effort.

Better that the team tries to improve their work without the puck than to just assume that, as long as Henrik's back there, it just doesn't matter. It's not going to be October forever.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 11:39 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers4Life74 View Post
right,which means it wouldnt have mattered who was in goal for the Rangers because their defense stunk the entire game.so if Hank started,maybe we would have lost 5-3 instead of 7-3,i see your point.
No, you don't see my point.

We all know when Valley gets shaken, he falls apart. He knew that first goal was soft. Did it really matter what kind of goals came after? He gets rattled knowing he should have stop it.

If Hank was in net, that first goal never gets in, there is no momentum switch, and who knows what might have happen. Yeah maybe the 5 infront of him might have fell apart anyway, but we will never know now,... will we?

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 12:08 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
You're aware that Avery was a +2 last night with 2 points, right?

He looked great, and will probably be in the top-6 for the rest of the season.
Best forward last night.
He is there to stay to prove my point that Sean is a top 6 material. He needs coaching. We got it, no problem there.
I would switch Anisimov with Drury in a little while. Re-union with Kotalik.
Brashear will sit Thu.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 12:23 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
I am confused. Does he mean that San Jose is a bad team? Or is there some enormous home edge I dont know about?
I didn't really understand what Carp was saying there either. Is playing at home supposed to neutralize the fact that San Jose is a good team? Also, Vally used to get the majority of his starts on the road, so I'm not so sure if the playing at home argument was a good one.

All of those hypotheticals Carp was posing, i.e., what if Lundqvist gets hurt or has to miss a playoff game, didn't exactly make sense. Obviously we are ****ed if Lundqvist goes down, and it doesn't matter who our backup is because he can never bail us out like Lundqvist does. Expecting Valliquette, or any backup, to "handle those situations" is a tall order because Lundqvist is the most important player on our team.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 02:37 PM
benneyb

A total and complete S**t show, that as a number of folks have said, we could all see coming.

Almost no one played worth a **** last night, its pointless to name names.

I will say, for those complaining about Valley getting the start, if you are afraid to put in your backup, why is he your backup? Better to find out now if he really can't cut it, as we need someone who can.

Aside from the defensive breakdowns, the lack of defensive effort even, lack of checks (did ANYONE finish a check last night?), the overridding need coming from last nights game is a crease clearing defenseman - much like Murray on the Sharks. Judging from last night game at least, he knows how to clear the crease. Can we get him?

benneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 03:18 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by benneyb View Post
A total and complete S**t show, that as a number of folks have said, we could all see coming.

I will say, for those complaining about Valley getting the start, if you are afraid to put in your backup, why is he your backup? Better to find out now if he really can't cut it, as we need someone who can.

Aside from the defensive breakdowns, the lack of defensive effort even, lack of checks (did ANYONE finish a check last night?), the overridding need coming from last nights game is a crease clearing defenseman - much like Murray on the Sharks. Judging from last night game at least, he knows how to clear the crease. Can we get him?
I don't think it's about being afraid, but you just don't play your backup in such a game if you don't have to. If you're playing a team you can barely beat with your starting goalie, you can't expect to win with your backup goalie. That's why one is a starter, and the other one is a backup. Usually a starter should be better than a backup. That's why you play your starter in the hard and important games, and your backup against weaker teams, or if your starter absolutely needs some rest.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 03:26 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
I don't think it's about being afraid, but you just don't play your backup in such a game if you don't have to. If you're playing a team you can barely beat with your starting goalie, you can't expect to win with your backup goalie. That's why one is a starter, and the other one is a backup. Usually a starter should be better than a backup. That's why you play your starter in the hard and important games, and your backup against weaker teams, or if your starter absolutely needs some rest.
That's the bottom line. And its pretty straightforward, I don't understand why some people are looking for ways to argue against it. If that first period ended 2-0 or 2-1 (which I'm sure it would have with Hank in there), then we're talking about a totally different game, and perhaps another 2 points. It was the wrong decision by Torts. Now let's go beat the Devils.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 03:51 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by benneyb View Post

I think I speak for most people when I say that I'm upset that he was started against one of the top teams in the league and not against a Toronto.

We all knew they were going to lay a stinker sooner or later. The key now is how they bounce back from it. We'll find out on Thursday if they pulled their heads out of their *****.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 04:29 PM
benneyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
I think I speak for most people when I say that I'm upset that he was started against one of the top teams in the league and not against a Toronto.

We all knew they were going to lay a stinker sooner or later. The key now is how they bounce back from it. We'll find out on Thursday if they pulled their heads out of their *****.
I understand your thinking, and don't disagree with it. I'm wondering, as someone suggested uptopic, if Torts kinda knew this would happen, and in effect put the match to the fuse by starting Valley. With the resulting **** show, it should help drive home whatever message he chooses to send.

I do think that our backup goalie should be able to win against anybody, top teams or not. If not, he should be replaced. Valley has pretty good career numbers for GAA and Save %, but he sure is inconsistent, and tends to melt down when things go bad. Is he our best option? I know his contract is cheap, but God forbid, if Hank goes down, that won't be enought.

Old
10-20-2009, 05:04 PM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
The ticket collector was actually quite good. He was let down by the security guard who was supposed to be covering the point.
haha theyve been on a steady decline since they started with those fancy scanners. The players cant get sticks that wont shatter when theyre breathed on and the ticket collecters game has gone to crap since the advent of scanners, oh and to top it off Orty scores a goal against NYR in MSG, whats this world coming to?

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 07:48 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

I knew the Rangers were going to lose when they took a penalty less than a minute after going up 2-0. You could feel the momentum shift in a way that usually doesn't reverse.

Maybe this will cause Torts to have second thoughts about his gut in regards to when to put Valley in. If you wanted him in against an out-of-division, out-of-conference team, you should have waited 3 games and 7 days until the team with less firepower was in town.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 08:39 PM
benneyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyRangers View Post
WHERE THE F IS THE HITTING?????? Normally when a team is getting destroyed on home ice you'd hope someone has the balls to run the other team through the boards. This and the lack of anyone clearing the front of the net bothers me much more then the score. I want to see someone wearing a teal jersey pounded into the boards and soon!!!
I agree 1000% dude, and this was the exact thing I was screaming at my TV. Another piece of evidence that maybe the forever soft Ranger mentality is still here.