HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mtl - Tor

Old
10-20-2009, 09:21 AM
robdicks

vCash: 500
As already stated, halak for stajan might work, but why throw more guys in there... thats the only thing i dont get on this board is its always a multi-player trade

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 10:30 AM
BigHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EucaLEAFtys View Post
The Leafs' need to shore up their goaltending situation, amongst other things, and Halak (from what I've seen of him) could become that stabilizing factor. Assuming that his cap-hit is relatively low (between 1-2 M?), swapping him for Stajan looks to be a fairly decent proposal.

Even if Halak's cap-hit is a little higher, the Leafs could manage it once Van Ryn gets placed on LTIR and have some room for more moves.
Halak's cap hit is only 775 000. He is an RFA at the end of this season. If the Leafs want to pick him up for Stajan, it would good for them. I believe Stajan will be expecting a raise since he is a UFA. Halak can only negotiate with the Leafs, like Kessel with the Bruins, until they can't come to an agreement and they decide to deal him. But Halak will sign with anybody to get that number 1 shot. Depending how Halak would play for you, probably better than Toskala, You could lock him up long term for cheap right now.

1.3 mill over 3 or 4 seasons. He would likely be signed for that.

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 01:50 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post
why would the Leafs need/want another 2nd tier goalie ...maybe they have learned a lesson with the last 2 goalie deals they have made??
the difference is were trading a first round pick for him. Halak has been a solid goalie when called upon throughout his career. I'd love to add him. My question is who does Montreal plan on using as a back up for themselves. Macdonald could probably be added if need be to deal with a potential goalie problem in Montreal. My assumption is if we picked up Halak Vesa would be sent down or Gustavson would be for conditioning purposes and when he got re called Vesa would be done playing for the leafs.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 04:34 PM
EucaLEAFtys

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblor506 View Post
Halak's cap hit is only 775 000. He is an RFA at the end of this season. If the Leafs want to pick him up for Stajan, it would good for them. I believe Stajan will be expecting a raise since he is a UFA. Halak can only negotiate with the Leafs, like Kessel with the Bruins, until they can't come to an agreement and they decide to deal him. But Halak will sign with anybody to get that number 1 shot. Depending how Halak would play for you, probably better than Toskala, You could lock him up long term for cheap right now.

1.3 mill over 3 or 4 seasons. He would likely be signed for that.
With Halak's cap-hit that low and a soon-to-be RFA, I'm beginning to think that swapping Stajan for Halak just might be what the doctor ordered for an ailing Leaf team. Halak would likely do well when paired with Gustavsson should a trade like this occur. I seriously doubt that he could be worse than Toskala at this point, considering that Toskala has been pretty brutal of late.

EucaLEAFtys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2009, 05:54 PM
BigHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EucaLEAFtys View Post
With Halak's cap-hit that low and a soon-to-be RFA, I'm beginning to think that swapping Stajan for Halak just might be what the doctor ordered for an ailing Leaf team. Halak would likely do well when paired with Gustavsson should a trade like this occur. I seriously doubt that he could be worse than Toskala at this point, considering that Toskala has been pretty brutal of late.
Halak would help you greatly. I feel if the Leafs got him they could send Toskala down or trade him. You can't have a goalie every night 3-4 goals on the first 3-4 shots and expect to win a game. With Halak you know you would be solid in net especially a tandem of Halak and Gustavsson between the pipes playing for an already young team.

Stajan would help Montreal's second line as he is a playmaker and piles up a ton of assists. Get A.kostitsyn going, as he has been struggling so far. This deal could help both teams. Plus adds some more size up front for the top 2 lines.

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 03:12 AM
EucaLEAFtys

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblor506 View Post
Halak would help you greatly. I feel if the Leafs got him they could send Toskala down or trade him. You can't have a goalie every night 3-4 goals on the first 3-4 shots and expect to win a game. With Halak you know you would be solid in net especially a tandem of Halak and Gustavsson between the pipes playing for an already young team.

Stajan would help Montreal's second line as he is a playmaker and piles up a ton of assists. Get A.kostitsyn going, as he has been struggling so far. This deal could help both teams. Plus adds some more size up front for the top 2 lines.
After having just checked the Leafs' cap (and contract maximum) situation, it looks like the cap situation is relatively okay for now. The contract max situation is not so good, but keeping in mind that Stajan-for-Halak is a 1-for-1 trade possibility lets the contract max remain at status quo.

The good parts of this proposal (for the Leafs, anyway) is that a) they would get a solid, reasonably young goalie who is currently VERY cap-friendly and may very well be quite cap-friendly for the next few years (and maybe longer than that), b) Halak would fill an immediate need as he is far better than Toskala is right now, and c) moving Stajan would remove some of the "logjam" at the center position which would allow for transactions to occur (both internal and external).

Montreal would also benefit offensively as they only seem to have one scoring line at the moment. The potential addition of Stajan would likely jump-start a secondary scoring line.

The only real concern that I see from a Montreal POV is that this type of move could be very detrimental as Price has apparently not been very good of late. I'm also not sure if Sanford can pull his weight if/when called upon. If, however, the Habs feel confident enough in Sanford to be able to make this trade, then I would say, "Let's get it done!"

EucaLEAFtys is offline   Reply With Quote