HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blueshirts have priorities in order

Old
10-21-2009, 04:01 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Blueshirts have priorities in order

Larry Brooks writes about the tone set by John Tortorella. Business-like atmosphere.

The two stars of the team are team first players. Henrik Lundqvist and Marian Gaborik.

Quote:
Last Wednesday against the Kings, for example, when Vinny Prospal had scored two goals, Gaborik turned twice to Tortorella and pointed to his linemate to remind the coach to put him on the ice in order to go for a hat trick.

In a different game, Gaborik turned to Tortorella and pointed to Chris Higgins in an attempt to influence the coach to give the struggling and scoreless winger a shot at an empty net goal.

"Marian doesn't draw attention to himself, but he's engaged in all the meetings, he's a student who asks the right questions," Tortorella said. "He's a good guy and a hard worker, in the same mold of Chris Drury and Henrik Lundqvist.

"When your top players and team leaders are low-maintenance guys who care more about winning than they do about themselves or what comes after the game, then you're on the right track.

"That's what we have here."
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...3DBVQoNBqfOjWK

Does Gaborik gets the another "A"?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 04:22 AM
Osminator

vCash: 50
he should get an "A"... hearing that... team player through and through... and with one of the best shots in world by the way

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 06:24 AM
beastly115

Man, makes me like Gaborik more and more. The guy has the complete package.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 07:54 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
he should get an "A"... hearing that... team player through and through... and with one of the best shots in world by the way
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Man, makes me like Gaborik more and more. The guy has the complete package.
Agreed on both counts. I hadbeen leery of giving him an A, but he's earned it through and through. Anybody know how he did when the rotating Captaincy in Minny got to him? Did he respond positively/negatively/at all?

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 07:56 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Brooksy brownnosin'?

Hard to find anything to rag on this team right now. Even looking like **** vs the Sharks is ok because we all want to see how they react in the following game vs the Devils. How does the leadership handle the loss?

10-21-2009, 07:58 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I'm kind of in the camp of NOT giving gabby the A. I don't know, maybe its too much pressure in NY. Just let him adjust to his new situation and be the teams sniper and run and gun star for a while without having to answer all the extra questions

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 08:31 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

What a relief to read that the team has hockey as priority #1.

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 08:33 AM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
I'm kind of in the camp of NOT giving gabby the A. I don't know, maybe its too much pressure in NY. Just let him adjust to his new situation and be the teams sniper and run and gun star for a while without having to answer all the extra questions
I wouldn't mind either way, honestly. I still lobby for Prospal getting the "A" - love his enthusiasm, drive, and production out on the ice and he just seems like he'd be a hell of a presence in the locker room as well.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 08:36 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Yeah, that's down to both of Gaborik and Prospal in my opinion. I must admit I liked Gaborik's unselfishness on that 2 on 1 against the Kings. That should have been an easy goal for him, but he chose to make the pass.

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 08:53 AM
Celestial Black

Great to hear...seems like a great guy and an excellent player.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 09:02 AM
AJRanger

Really enjoyed the bits about Gabby, always nice to have guys like that on your team.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 09:07 AM
rangerjoe

Quote:
Brooksy brownnosin'?
"I guess that's what I'm sayin Brooksie, get that through your head?"

rangerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 09:15 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
When all a guy cares about is hockey, and his Formula 1 race car simulator it's pretty easy for him to not get too involved in the NY life.

Does he reward himself for good play with extra minutes on the simulator?

Either way he is a joy to have on this team and I love everything he is doing for them, and my fantasy team.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 09:52 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by #97 View Post
What a relief to read that the team has hockey as priority #1.
With some of the teams we've had to live with over the last 12 years, it's sort of a welcome change...

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 10:01 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Not to be a jerk but... that actually sounds like not having your priorities in order. Who carer who scores what goal or gets a hat-trick? Put the best lineup out there for the situation warranting it.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 10:11 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Brooksy brownnosin'?
So when Brooks writes your run of the mill puff piece that 99% of the sports media produces every single day, hes suddenly a brown noser?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 10:13 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Not to be a jerk but... that actually sounds like not having your priorities in order. Who carer who scores what goal or gets a hat-trick? Put the best lineup out there for the situation warranting it.
I think it's more along the lines of being team players, not focusing on your personal stats, fostering a positive clubhouse environment, etc... Nothing wrong with the players trying to get each other going, you know? It's Torts' job to ignore that kinda stuff if it's to the detriment of the team.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 10:19 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Nice to hear. Especially after all that nonsense about him skipping trips with The Wild because of his injury. A lot of media outlets painted him as selfish.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 10:46 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
So when Brooks writes your run of the mill puff piece that 99% of the sports media produces every single day, hes suddenly a brown noser?
I was kidding...its actually nice to see Brooks has something positive to say

Old
10-21-2009, 10:55 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Nice to hear. Especially after all that nonsense about him skipping trips with The Wild because of his injury. A lot of media outlets painted him as selfish.
The Wild were a broken team last year and it looks like Gabby had every intention of leaving. I dont know how many times I heard the media spin this in that to make it appear the Wild were going to re-tool their franchise to keep Gaborik. If thats the case they made a real error in judgement.

Kind of like whats going on in Atlanta right now. Last year it was Gabby with the 'very competitive " offer on the table by the home team. This year it's Kovulchuk.

If you have garunteed mega millions on the table and your truly inclined to sign, you sign right? Why risk getting injured.

The only reason to risk is

a. you're an attention ***** who just wants the never ending speculation

b. you've weighed your options and decided its worth the risk, to at the very least listen to what other teams will offer on July 1st, for the opportunity of getting more millions and a better supporting cast.

For an elite talent... really...how often does that guy go past July 1st AND than re-sign with the home team.

I'm talking elite talent...not Paul Mara.

Selfish? Or just a talented player caught in the media crossfire while he awais his right to free agency?

Old
10-21-2009, 11:14 AM
Vitto79

how could you not give him the other A. He's the teams best player and is a quiet leader on the ice.

When he scores it's like another day at work. The money had not phased his performance at all

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 11:14 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I think it's more along the lines of being team players, not focusing on your personal stats, fostering a positive clubhouse environment, etc... Nothing wrong with the players trying to get each other going, you know? It's Torts' job to ignore that kinda stuff if it's to the detriment of the team.
Exactly, use your best line up in a tight game if you are leading by two with a couple minutes left and the net is empty, try for the Hatty or try to get a team mate going. Don't see anything wrong with that.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 11:47 PM
ohbaby

Of all the beat writers who cover the Rangers, why is Larry Brooks always quoted?

Am I the only one who hates this guy? He rarely has anything positive to say, unless we win 7 in a row.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 11:51 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Larry Brooks writes about the tone set by John Tortorella. Business-like atmosphere.

The two stars of the team are team first players. Henrik Lundqvist and Marian Gaborik.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...3DBVQoNBqfOjWK

Does Gaborik gets the another "A"?
Gabby is getting the A..there is no questions asked. Like I said in another thread...Dubi will have to wait till Drury is gone to get his letter. No Bluenote this is not a drury bashing post.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 11:54 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
Of all the beat writers who cover the Rangers, why is Larry Brooks always quoted?

Am I the only one who hates this guy? He rarely has anything positive to say, unless we win 7 in a row.
LB actually knows his crap though and actually breaks a trade/signing/rumor before everyone. And he actually speaks his mind. He is by far the best beat writer this team has. I wish LB would update during the day, but he doesn't.....Zip is the close second. Nobody else comes close.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote