HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would trading Price be viable ?

Old
10-21-2009, 07:25 AM
PunkinDrublic*

vCash: 500
Would trading Price be viable ?

What if just for proposals sake, we were to send Price and Pleks to Tampa
(after hearing about the Brian Lawton tirate in the room ) for Vinny and Vladimir Mihalik and Antero Niittymaki.

I am pretty sure that BG wouldn't trade his prodigy, but what if Halak could be the #1 in Montreal ? If BG didn't think he could, he probably wouldn't still be here right ?

Edit: we would have to shed salary wouldn't we ?

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 07:30 AM
Coldplay
Courage

You are REALLY asking for the wolves to eat you alive bud.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 07:31 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Valid question, but there is little market for Price. He's yet unproven in any long term or meaningful way (playoffs) . Outside of the Montreal fanbase Price would be seen as a longer term project and not one that would return a star today Try this thread again in 2 years.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 07:34 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
The timing of these types of threads are always funny.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 07:34 AM
Rickkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
there is little market for Price. He's yet unproven in any long term or meaningful way (playoffs) . Outside of the Montreal fanbase Price would be seen as a longer term project and not one that would return a star.
Nevertheless...there might be someone willing to take a chance on him. Remember...hope springs eternal...

Rickkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 07:35 AM
HabsHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsNewGeneration View Post
(after hearing about the Brian Lawton tirate in the room ) for Vinny and Vladimir Mihalik and Antero Niittymaki.

I am pretty sure that BG wouldn't trade his prodigy, but what if Halak could be the #1 in Montreal ? If BG didn't think he could, he probably wouldn't still be here right ?

Serioulsy, Lecav 7 Gomez 7 Cams 6 Gio 5 Markov 6 Hamr 5 Spacek 3

that's 40 mill 7 players signed 18 mill for the rest of the team, and Tampa gets nothing they need in return.

Just post this stuff in the Vinny thread.

HabsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 07:35 AM
wedge

and how do we find the 6 millions in cap space?

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 07:36 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge View Post
and how do we find the 6 millions in cap space?
That's not important.

Old
10-21-2009, 07:53 AM
richm711*

Quote:

Yes it would be viable, and not only viable...Sensible.
Get something for him now before you have a Dan Cloutier on hand and can't get rid of him. He has had his turn and fails to live up regardless of his age. Wake up people!

richm711* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 07:59 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

I don't see Halak as a #1 on a cup contender. Price is showing this year he is back, on TSN they said he stayed an hour after practise and his work ethic is exemplary so I have no doubts he wants to be an All-star goalie, last year I was not sure...

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 08:00 AM
hotcarle

I wouldn't call Price a bust just yet. Look at Dipietro. He was drafted 1st overall in 2000 and only turned into an all star goalie a few years ago(before his injuries). Price is young, I wouldn't get rid of him yet.

hotcarle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 08:01 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
Valid question, but there is little market for Price. He's yet unproven in any long term or meaningful way (playoffs) . Outside of the Montreal fanbase Price would be seen as a longer term project and not one that would return a star today Try this thread again in 2 years.
If you take this in the context of today's NHL given their contract status, Price probably has more trade value than Vinny.

Old
10-21-2009, 08:02 AM
xposbrad

0 chance I'd trade him for Vinny. The only way I'd trade Price is for a blue chip prospect who we would have for many years at a good price. I would however include him in a deal for Kovalchuk, because as we've seen for many years, goalies are replaceable and sometimes are drafted in late rounds or get picked up overseas. Not to mention, we probably have Halak who will put up similiar like numbers to price. However, a top 5 player is not as easy for us to get.

xposbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 08:04 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by xposbrad View Post
0 chance I'd trade him for Vinny. The only way I'd trade Price is for a blue chip prospect who we would have for many years at a good price. I would however include him in a deal for Kovalchuk, because as we've seen for many years, goalies are replaceable and sometimes are drafted in late rounds or get picked up overseas. Not to mention, we probably have Halak who will put up similiar like numbers to price. However, a top 5 player is not as easy for us to get.
The big problem with trading for Kovalchuk is 1- he is a UFA at year end and 2- he is looking for a 100 mil contract(over 12-13 years I assume).

Old
10-21-2009, 08:11 AM
xposbrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The big problem with trading for Kovalchuk is 1- he is a UFA at year end and 2- he is looking for a 100 mil contract(over 12-13 years I assume).
You are getting 45-50 goals. We have 2 players combined making 12.3m (cap hit) who will probably give us less than that. If Kovalchuk's cap hit is under 8.5m then I have no problem with it. 100m over 12 years, gives it a cap hit of 8.33 right? I mean you're hoping he plays until 38 if not retires at 36 or when he feels he can't compete at the NHL level and then I assume we don't have to pay him the remainder or maybe insurance covers it. But I assume if you retire and are not 'let go' then there I wouldn't think we'd pay the balance. So at 8.33m, which is basically 1m more than Gomez for 45-50 goals (that is a considerable amount of extra wins), he's worth every penny.

Old
10-21-2009, 08:13 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
You are getting 45-50 goals. We have 2 players combined making 12.3m (cap hit) who will probably give us less than that. If Kovalchuk's cap hit is under 8.5m then I have no problem with it. 100m over 12 years, gives it a cap hit of 8.33 right? I mean you're hoping he plays until 38 if not retires at 36 or when he feels he can't compete at the NHL level and then I assume we don't have to pay him the remainder or maybe insurance covers it. But I assume if you retire and are not 'let go' then there I wouldn't think we'd pay the balance. So at 8.33m, which is basically 1m more than Gomez for 45-50 goals (that is a considerable amount of extra wins), he's worth every penny.
How the hell do we fit that under the cap?

Old
10-21-2009, 08:16 AM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Trade?

Playmaker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 08:21 AM
xposbrad

Quote:
Well, first of all, you have to take into considering what Price makes on his new contract, since we do have to sign him. The net, will probably be 5m about? Unless Price thinks he's worth more, which will be a problem. You are probably sending the Kosti brothers in that deal, so we'd probably be able to do it. AK alone is making 3.25m. So it's definitely possible.

Old
10-21-2009, 08:22 AM
mikeg

I was thinking along the same lines yesterday as well.

mikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 08:30 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Well, first of all, you have to take into considering what Price makes on his new contract, since we do have to sign him. The net, will probably be 5m about? Unless Price thinks he's worth more, which will be a problem. You are probably sending the Kosti brothers in that deal, so we'd probably be able to do it. AK alone is making 3.25m. So it's definitely possible.
Well we also have to fill out the roster with NHL players. Plekanec needs a new contract aswell.

And did we not just play Atlanta and their future goalie last night? Why would Atlanta trade for Price?

Old
10-21-2009, 08:35 AM
Maliki2

Quote:

There once wasa goalie in Montreal that people claimed to be the second coming of Roy, his name was Jose Theodore.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 08:47 AM
kovaless

I don't know about Price.....I'm not sold yet if he's the real deal or not. There were flashes of brilliance beginning of last year, but we've also seen some flashes of disaster end of season / playoffs.

I will say this, I am a little bit more comfortable with Halak in net, and I really thought that Halak should have played in the playoffs last season.

I have nothing against trading Price....and nothing for it...I'm a little meh....

kovaless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 08:47 AM
xposbrad

Quote:
Well we also have to fill out the roster with NHL players. Plekanec needs a new contract aswell.

And did we not just play Atlanta and their future goalie last night? Why would Atlanta trade for Price?
good point, lol I was just wishful we could get a top 5 sniper

Old
10-21-2009, 08:52 AM
habfan1968

no it would not be viable, Halak did not steal a game last night, if Price was in same result.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 08:59 AM
TheCH*

Price and Plek won't get you anywhere near Vinny.

Price is extremely overrated in both potential and current ability. I'd be all for trading him though.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote