HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I wanna know where the goals at: 10/21 - CANES @ New York Islanders, 7:00

Old
10-21-2009, 08:50 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikani87 View Post
Yes, that is legal.

I'm wondering if the Canes should do that from now on. Shootouts have always been Ward's big weakness.
True, but that's also the first of the three he hasn't looked all that great on this year. Tampa and Pittsburgh he looked very solid against in the shootout.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 08:51 PM
Caniac4ever
Gleason 4 Norris

vCash: 1169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Well with Michael "The Dying Whale" Leighton back there, our chances get even slimmer.
Amen to that. Having been in Philly to witness his most recent fainting goat act, I will be happy if Leighton doesn't ever face another shootout...

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 08:51 PM
Obi Wan LaRosie

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Obi Wan LaRosie Send a message via Yahoo to Obi Wan LaRosie
I'd take my chances with Leighton....especially since Leighton has more experience with it in the A and Ward is so bad at it.

Not only is he bad, he is terribly inconsistent. Sometimes he looks ok (Pittsburgh), and other times it looks like I could go 50% on him (tonight)

Obi Wan LaRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Wolfpuck
5/5 Compete Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
True, but that's also the first of the three he hasn't looked all that great on this year. Tampa and Pittsburgh he looked very solid against in the shootout.
Yeah. I guess I'm thinking back to shootouts from seasons past. The Canes rarely win a shootout in which they give up a goal, though. Maurice needs to swap Samsonov for Cullen and give Ward some goal support.

Wolfpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 08:52 PM
CarolinaHurricanes85

Send a message via AIM to CarolinaHurricanes85
[QUOTE=ikani87;21716080]I bet we'll give Toronto their first win as well on November 6. :

Better not be. I am making the trip from Virginia Beach to be there as well as give Chuck K. the 'Canes scoreboard piece that was at Maple Leaf Gardens. Plus it's my birthday. We lose that one, it's going to be a be a very long ride hone.

CarolinaHurricanes85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 08:53 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Quote:
Yes, that is legal.

I'm wondering if the Canes should do that from now on. Shootouts have always been Ward's big weakness.
We must put Tripp .

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 08:54 PM
Wolfpuck
5/5 Compete Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
We must put Tripp .
I hope the Canes coaching staff doesn't read this.

Old
10-21-2009, 08:57 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Cam needs to rush somebody Irbe style on the shootout one of these days. Should have done it to Tavares there. He would have never seen it coming and the building would have gone silent as he cartwheeled into our net sans the puck.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 09:02 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Good game tonight guys! Good luck the rest of the way!

10-21-2009, 09:04 PM
Wolfpuck
5/5 Compete Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL8116 View Post
Good game tonight guys! Good luck the rest of the way!
Thanks. You too. I really like the young guns the Islanders have. Your team really has a lot to build on for the future.

Old
10-21-2009, 09:14 PM
caniac247

Why don't we just rename the team the Charity Canes. I'm freakin tired of getting other teams out of their slumps. How bout we focus on our damn slump and get out of it.

Is it against the rules to use one shooter for all 3 rounds in the shoot out? Frankly Jokinen is the only one worth a damn. And Cam definetly looked like the Cam from the past in that one. Holy crap that was bad.

Glad we could help the Islanders out. And Friday should be interesting especially if we go with Leighton in net.

ETA: WTF happened to Gleason that he needed to get x-rays? I didn't see anything.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 09:27 PM
ANTON HIS HOLINESS

Another game. Another loss

:/

ANTON HIS HOLINESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 10:14 PM
caniacgirl12

Send a message via AIM to caniacgirl12 Send a message via MSN to caniacgirl12
After reading the GDT, I'm glad I wasn't able to watch this game. Granted it was for pretty crappy reasons....but at least I didn't miss anything good.

10-21-2009, 11:05 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Why was Yelle named 3rd star? (5:16 TOI, 0 shots, 0 points, 2 PIM) Or is this a typo?

Quote:
Associated Press

Three star selections
1st: ANDY SUTTON
2nd: JOHN TAVARES
3rd: STEPHANE YELLE

Winning Goaltender
Dwayne Roloson

Losing Goaltender
Cam Ward
http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/recap...id=DL|CAR|home

Edit: Not a typo, it's on nhl.com.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2009020113

Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 11:18 PM
Islander102

Quote:
Yes, that is legal.

In fairness, Tambellini and Nielsen are absolutley lights out in the shootout, and Tavares I would expect to be no slouch either. Good entertaining game tonight, we didnt deserve the win after our patented third period collapse, but being 0-6, I'll ceartinly take it. Good on you guys to not give up, and good luck the rest of the year. I always liked the Canes since Laviolette was hired, and even though hes gone, why stop likin them?

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 01:12 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

We are a bad hockey team right now... Our poor offseason is killing us... We made some moves, each of them individually were pretty good(minus Cole), but all put together, they were awful... We needed to get at least one playmaker to put with Staal and we completely ignored it and resigned Cole... Combine that with a Cadaverous coach and you got a team that will be down 2-0 in half it's games this year scapping as hard as it can to just get a point...

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 01:30 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Well, it looks like Seguin, Hall or Fowler will be a Cane next year.

Seriously though, if we suck I hope it's that bad so we do get a good prospect in the draft. But it's early, I don't think the team is as bad/mediocre as they've been playing. Missing 2 key players also factors into the recent play. The Isles also aren't a terrible team like everyone thinks and were due for a win. There's still plenty of time for our guys to get it going. We've looked both brutal and excellent at times. The talent is there; they just need to play up to potential.

We may not win it all this year, but I'm looking forward to the future with our current core and prospects either way.

Last edited by vwg*: 10-22-2009 at 01:36 AM.
vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 06:07 AM
Caseus
squirrelly wrath

Quote:
Well with Michael "The Dying Whale" Leighton back there
The Dying Whale?? Oh, what an awesome nickname! I can't stop giggling. I can just picture him trying to stop the puck.

Caseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 09:06 AM
Caniac4ever
Gleason 4 Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Why was Yelle named 3rd star? (5:16 TOI, 0 shots, 0 points, 2 PIM) Or is this a typo?

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/recap...id=DL|CAR|home

Edit: Not a typo, it's on nhl.com.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2009020113

When Chuck was giving the 3 stars out on the radio he had Joni as the 3rd star. I wasn't sure he was worthy of it, but it makes much more sense than Yelle... Or maybe they realized their wasn't any stars and drew names out of a hat?

Old
10-22-2009, 10:21 AM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac4ever View Post
When Chuck was giving the 3 stars out on the radio he had Joni as the 3rd star. I wasn't sure he was worthy of it, but it makes much more sense than Yelle... Or maybe they realized their wasn't any stars and drew names out of a hat?
Joni deserved it, probably deserved 2nd. He has got to be the most underrated, misunderstood Canes player ever. Sure he had that bad giveaway in the 3rd, but he was our best player and if not for him, we don't get a freakin point.

Old
10-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Caniac4ever
Gleason 4 Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
Joni deserved it, probably deserved 2nd. He has got to be the most underrated, misunderstood Canes player ever. Sure he had that bad giveaway in the 3rd, but he was our best player and if not for him, we don't get a freakin point.

I agree to a point. I love what Joni does and brings to this team. However, last night he made more than one bad play in the 3rd. I noticed several times throughout the game that he would make the lazy play instead of the hard work of stopping and starting like he should have. And yes, i realize he's had a knee injury and may not be back to normal yet. He just didn't look on the top of his game to me like much of the rest of the team...

Old
10-22-2009, 12:10 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac4ever View Post
I agree to a point. I love what Joni does and brings to this team. However, last night he made more than one bad play in the 3rd. I noticed several times throughout the game that he would make the lazy play instead of the hard work of stopping and starting like he should have. And yes, i realize he's had a knee injury and may not be back to normal yet. He just didn't look on the top of his game to me like much of the rest of the team...
I always find it interesting how each person views things differently. For a guy having knee surgery, I think he looks like he hasn't missed a beat, whereas the other guys, seem to be off and not on top of their game. If the rest of the team was on top of their game we wouldn't be sitting at 2-4-2, IMHO. Sure he's had some moments, but damn the whole team has had lots of moments. For him to come back from injury and immediatly play 25 mins, says alot.

Old
10-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Joni Pitkanen is the life blood of this defense. Without his efforts last night, we lose in regulation. His vision and skating ability make him essential to our success. He had a great 3rd period last night. I would, however, love to see him shoot more on the powerplay. For a guy that once scored 14 goals in a season, he sure does like to pass up great shooting positions.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 01:05 PM
impeach estaalo

Quote:
Joni Pitkanen is the life blood of this defense. Without his efforts last night, we lose in regulation. His vision and skating ability make him essential to our success. He had a great 3rd period last night. I would, however, love to see him shoot more on the powerplay. For a guy that once scored 14 goals in a season, he sure does like to pass up great shooting positions.
But he doesn't throw huge hits and thus is "soft". And he is "lazy" because he can glide faster than Wallin and Ward can skate at full speed. And he'll make a couple horrible giveaways for every fifty great passes he makes, and is thus a "giveaway machine." I suggest trading him to make room for a generic physical defensive defenseman.

Oh, and yeah...what an absolutely horrific third period Pitkanen had. Doesn't he know that every point counts? That one point he got us could hurt us in the draft lottery. **** him.

Last edited by impeach estaalo: 10-22-2009 at 01:12 PM.
impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 02:14 PM
geehaad

I knew that Pitkanen was going to be an offensively gifted player - that reputation preceded him - but I had no idea that he was so good defensively. Now, I'm not saying that he's a shutdown defenseman, but on opposing rushes he will often make a great poke-check to diffuse the situation. His ability to wait out the rusher and make the smart play is fun to watch.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote