HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Thoughts on Kovalchuk's future?

Old
10-21-2009, 12:33 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
The only team I can see making a huge run at him at this point is Boston. However, I seriously hope he doesn't go anywhere. He is the face of the Atlanta franchise, and losing him would absolutely doom that team to mediocrity
The real tough part about all this is that the B's, as well as most teams are going to be very hesitant. There would have to be a continency in place if he leaves to play in the KHL or appropriated a plan to sign him.

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 01:41 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
And this comming from a Leafs fan who has Burke as their G.M.
The team who has a GM that will lead them to last place overall while trading their 1st rd picks for the next two yrs.
I'd rather have kessell than the picks and i'm sure Burke will do everything to turn it around.....who knows we may even catch the Habs!!!!

OlderTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 02:23 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 50
Colorado, damnit. Colorado.

Beautiful place to live, very good young team, tons and tons of cap room(upwards of $15 M in the summer), good mix of veterans as well. Free agents over the years like Smyth, Kariya, Hannan, and Selanne have found Denver a very attractive place to go.

I think we could have a real shot.

TwoPadStack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

I'm hoping Lamoriello finally goes after a top notch UFA. Kovy, you can live in Manhattan and go dinning at Little Odessa, in Brooklyn. I hear there quite a few excellent authentic Russian restaurants.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 05:52 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
According to sources, Atlanta is going to offer him the chance to become the NHLís second $100 million man. (Alexander Ovechkin was the first.) Under the CBA, the maximum per-year salary he could receive is $11.36 million per season, so it would have to me a minimum nine-year deal. (Thrashers GM Don Waddell would not comment. Same goes for agent Jay Grossman.)
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2009/..._100m_man.html

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 06:28 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

DW said neither side is interested in one of those super long contracts. I thought they were discussing a 5-6 year deal.

Old
10-21-2009, 07:23 PM
ArVeeDee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
DW said neither side is interested in one of those super long contracts. I thought they were discussing a 5-6 year deal.
I'm sure Kovy will change his mind when he sees that the money=league max. DW will too if he thinks it's the only way he can keep Kovy.

ArVeeDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 07:27 PM
jzqt

same maybe

most likely he'll stay in Atlanta. if goes, go to Washington

jzqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Frankie Spankie

I think he'll resign. I'd like to see the Bruins make a run at him only if they can resign him before he enters free agency but since I don't see how that will happen and keep us under the cap...

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 06:53 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

If that rumor has legs, my guess would be slightly below max...10 years/$100 mill...

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 07:26 AM
Washington Capitals

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzqt View Post
most likely he'll stay in Atlanta. if goes, go to Washington
Why?How?

Washington Capitals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 07:33 AM
Schroedingers Cat

If Atlanta trades Kovalchuk it won't be within the conference unless it's for massive overpayment.

He'll go West if he goes at all.

Schroedingers Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 07:34 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post
Kovy's only leverage is the threat of Medvedev's team signing him for zillions of tax free dollars. He might sign a four year deal, and then play in Russia for the 2013-2014 Olympic season and then return. Honestly, that's what I'd do if I was him.
Can't say I agree with that. Kovalchuk has all the leverage. He will have takers in the NHL (teams will dump good players on trade markets to make salary room for him), and he has takers overseas. All would be willing to pay him a truckload and give him double-digit years to boot.

Were I him, I'd set something like a 10-year, $10M/yr, $100M target... and Atlanta will pay it. They have no choice. In 2014, I go to the Olympics. If the league decides to go, then great. If the league decides not to go, I go anyway, come back... and the league basically has to accept that the Malkins and Ovechkins and Kovalchuk took the time off and have returned. The league isn't going to punish its star attractions.

Anyway, he's probably going to sign, and he's probably going to sign long term, and he's probably going to the Sochi Olympics whether the NHL lets him go or not.

I'm really hoping Atlanta gets him signed. it looks good so far, and here's hoping.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 09:04 AM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

As long as Don Wadell runs that team, the Thrashers will never be competitive. I really dont get why he still has a job.

And for those who keep saying "it'll kill the franchise if he's traded".

It wont. But then it might because hey, it's Wadell who's trading him. That dude does not know the value of other players. Or his scout staff doesnt. Either way, its gonna suck.

Boston traded their franchise player (Thornton) and they've been better without him then they ever have with him. So that tells you something, dunnit?

The n00b King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 09:12 AM
pfloyd75

Quote:
Colorado, damnit. Colorado.

Beautiful place to live, very good young team, tons and tons of cap room(upwards of $15 M in the summer), good mix of veterans as well.

That sounds exactly like Atlanta. If Kovalchuk leaves the Thrashers, I don't think it is to go to a team in the exact same situation.

pfloyd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 09:45 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfloyd75 View Post
That sounds exactly like Atlanta. If Kovalchuk leaves the Thrashers, I don't think it is to go to a team in the exact same situation.
I think Colorado as a franchise has a much higher reputation and proven track record than Atlanta. Bigger hockey market, no doubt. I do not see forwards like Stastny, Hejduk, etc. there to play with Kovalchuk. For your Kane, we have a Duchene who's even better. Lots of cap room and top free agents have already shown they will come to Colorado as well.

That is my unbiased opinion.

Old
10-22-2009, 10:07 AM
pfloyd75

Quote:
I think Colorado as a franchise has a much higher reputation and proven track record than Atlanta. Bigger hockey market, no doubt. I do not see forwards like Stastny, Hejduk, etc. there to play with Kovalchuk. For your Kane, we have a Duchene who's even better. Lots of cap room and top free agents have already shown they will come to Colorado as well.

That is my unbiased opinion.
I'll match your Stastny and Hejduk with Antropov and Little and I'll raise you a Bogosian and an Enstrom.

There is no doubt that Colorado has a longer, more storied history but I am not sure that Kovy really cares about history unless it has to do with the Russian/Soviet national teams. His primary concern is winning now and in the future, which I really don't see a lot of difference between the Avalanche and Thrashers. If anything, I think the Thrashers might have a bit of an edge because they've sucked longer and have stockpiled some nice pieces for the future because of that suckage.

I think he stays in Atlanta, but if he goes anywhere- it will be somewhere that he percieves the chances of winning are greater. Who knows, maybe he takes a discount (ala Hossa) to play in Washington or Pittsburgh just to get a good shot at a cup soon and then cashes in later.

pfloyd75 is offline   Reply With Quote