HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs have 16 players without contracts next year...why no fuss from Maguire etc

Old
10-21-2009, 11:39 PM
Pyrophorus

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Poni will leave one way or another, since he can be upgraded.
I think Mitchell should be resigned as well. I don't know why others don't like him.
White, Kuli and Monster will all be back.

There are some good UFAs available this off season.

Burke won't make a Gomez mistake.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2009, 11:45 PM
Pure

vCash: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickster View Post
It seems that in the last 10 years there have been a lot of guys who, after leaving the Leafs, quickly lost their NHL jobs...
Its common with bad teams. Detroit can waive a guy like Quincey who can turn into a top 4 dman, while the players a bad team doesn't want to resign are not usually not good enough for most teams. And when they do go to a new team, they have lesser roles.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 01:15 AM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

I fear that Ponikarovsky, Stajan, Toskela, Mayers, Primeau, Stempniak, Exelby etc. will be traded during the season and Hall will end up in Boston.

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 01:48 AM
Dark Knight
Draft Jared McCann!

If there is one thing I trust Burke will do is not give ridiculous contracts. He's made a pattern of never going over the 5 year term, and he was pretty adamant that it wasn't going to change.

As far as free agent players are concerned there is no one save for Kovalchuk that is worth a serious look.

I like Marc Savard but he's getting up there in age. This is probably the last contract he wants to sign and anyone who signs him for more than 4 years is really shooting themselves in the foot. I fail to see how productive he will be by the time he reaches 36.

I love Patrick Marleau. I call him underrated in every sense of the word. He's probably the best two-way player available this free agency. Having said that, it is also fair to note that he's enjoyed his best season on a fairly deep overall team. His playoffs failures are also eye-opening, but that is exactly what I used to say about Datsyuk until he burst out. I think Marleau is a solid player any team would love to add, even Toronto, but shouldn't we be aiming a bit higher than Marleau ? He's not taking any team to the cup. Also, his relationship with Wilson is also a bit of an issue from what I heard.

Haven't been impressed with Olli Jokinen since he came to Phoenix. It's usually a significant change for a player to go from the Eastern Conference to the Western Conference. Jokinen enjoyed a 90 point season in Florida before he got traded to Phoenix. No one can even argue the fact that his production slipped because he went from a poor team to a better team, because Phoenix was equally bad, if not worst. Since coming to Calgary, he hasn't been able to click. Last year you can give him some break because players traded around deadline take some time to get used to their new teams, but even this year I haven't been impressed in the 3 or 4 games I've seen him play in. Maybe a return to the Eastern Conference will get him back to his original self. He's still young at 30. If I'm Toronto, I would at least give him a look.

There is no one else worth a look for the top 6. A weak year for forwards for sure.

Still some quality defensemen available.

I expect Michalek, Volchenkov, Foote to remain with their respective clubs.

Been a fan of Kim Johnson for a while, but I'm not sure if he's what the Leafs need as well. The defense will get much better as the season goes, I'm sure of that. Joe Corvo would be interesting as well. But guys like him will be murdered in Toronto. He's perfect for a small market team that doesn't magnify mistakes on a nightly basis.

If Tony Lydman is not signed by Buffalo, he'd be a guy I can see multiple teams have interest in. He's as underrated as they get.

If New Jersey lets Paul Martin walk, then I'm not sure what Lou is smoking, or who he's smoking with.

Wrong year to have tons of cap space in.

Last edited by Dark Knight: 10-22-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Dark Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 02:12 AM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
I fear that Ponikarovsky, Stajan, Toskela, Mayers, Primeau, Stempniak, Exelby etc. will be traded during the season and Hall will end up in Boston.
The embarrassment from that happening could be the best thing to happen in a long time if a lesson is finally learned. I'm hoping thats exactly where Hall ends up.

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 02:35 AM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
The embarrassment from that happening could be the best thing to happen in a long time if a lesson is finally learned. I'm hoping thats exactly where Hall ends up.
What embarrassment? Burke has already said he wouldn't be able to draft anyone as talented as Kessel this year.

You're going to have to try a lot harder to embarrass him.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 09:20 AM
Kencaid

I think the leafs line up next year will depend heavily on who becomes a UFA and whether brian burke has the testicular fortitude to throw ppl in the minors (he claims he will, but has not to date). For example, if Kovy hits the Free Agent market, expect Jeff Figner to live in the minors next year (maybe jason blake 2?). The leafs have lots of cash and I am hoping they use it to their advantage.

Kencaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 11:03 AM
KingPuckChoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR3V0R View Post
1) What Gainey did during the off-season has nothing to do with this thread.

2) Quit trolling.
what the hell...the op is comparing what Gainey did to the Leaf's current situation... so replies should revolve around the subject...you little trollmaster you

KingPuckChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 11:07 AM
KingPuckChoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayne View Post
Gainey was ripped last year for not signing his ufa's and rfa's, i have not heard word 1 about the Leafs, is it more toronto bias or do people now realize Gainey did the right thing by not signing all those stiffs(komisarek, kovalev, higgins, dandeneault, bouillon, brisebois et all are stinking up the joint this year)

i just thought it was a point of interest and if i had a chance i would ask Pierre what the difference is, maybe he has a crush on Burke and or Toronto
and Montreal was a team that had potential, Toronto didn't .... Kovalev & Koivu were the face of the Canadiens at the time, Toronto only considers Schenn being the face of the Leafs for now (and he is still signed)

and all these players that Montreal didn't sign were part of their previous run to 1st place...

i feel you're very very bitter...i feel you now realize that Montreal isn't good...i feel now you understand...and i understand your frustration....now it's your turn Habs fan...to be frustrated with the pee-wee team that you call the Montreal Canadiens

Old
10-22-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheKingsMen View Post
and Montreal was a team that had potential, Toronto didn't .... Kovalev & Koivu were the face of the Canadiens at the time, Toronto only considers Schenn being the face of the Leafs for now (and he is still signed)

and all these players that Montreal didn't sign were part of their previous run to 1st place...

i feel you're very very bitter...i feel you now realize that Montreal isn't good...i feel now you understand...and i understand your frustration....now it's your turn Habs fan...to be frustrated with the pee-wee team that you call the Montreal Canadiens
Which explains how badly Gainey needed to make changes IMO...whether or not the changes he made will prove fruitful, no one knows yet

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 11:52 AM
KingPuckChoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Which explains how badly Gainey needed to make changes IMO...whether or not the changes he made will prove fruitful, no one knows yet
you're right though, and i never disagreed with this...Gainey was under tremendous pressure and the players representing the core weren't getting the job done. People will criticize Gainey, but at the end of the day, he did had he could do

so with all the givens (that i'm pretty sure we don't even have access to even half of the givens) Gainey did what he was able to do - knowing that he had to absolutely change the core

but i still don't see why the op wants us to bash Toronto...Montreal wasn't in the same position as Toronto at all

Montreal was a team that even analysts thought they would at least finish top 10 in the league....and everyone agreed that Toronto had a place amongst the bottom 10, so the pressures on each team is for different reasons

Old
10-22-2009, 02:11 PM
ILuvLucic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheKingsMen View Post
what the hell...the op is comparing what Gainey did to the Leaf's current situation... so replies should revolve around the subject...you little trollmaster you
Yeah he mentioned the 10 UFAs Gainey didn't negotiate with during last season. The poster I quoted began criticizing what Gainey did during the off-season taking a free jab at the acquisitions we made. It would be nice to stay on-topic instead of turning this into a Leafs vs Habs flame war.

ILuvLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 03:03 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayne View Post
Gainey was ripped last year for not signing his ufa's and rfa's, i have not heard word 1 about the Leafs, is it more toronto bias or do people now realize Gainey did the right thing by not signing all those stiffs(komisarek, kovalev, higgins, dandeneault, bouillon, brisebois et all are stinking up the joint this year)

i just thought it was a point of interest and if i had a chance i would ask Pierre what the difference is, maybe he has a crush on Burke and or Toronto
the difference?

Well, Toronto has a roster logjam right now that's blocking good young players like Tlusty, Bozak, Kulemin, Hanson, Kadri, Oreskovic, Gunnarson from playing.

Toronto's roster is still all full with contracted players next year, even if we let all the UFA go:

C) M.Grabovski
W) P.Kessel
W) N.Hagman

C) N.Kadri
W) J.Tlusty
W) V.Stalberg

C) T.Bozak
W) N.Kulemin (RFA)
W) C.Hanson

C) J.Mitchell (RFA)
W) C.Orr
W) J.Rosehill

C) C.Didomenico
W) M.Stefanovich
W) A.Deveaux

D) T.Kaberle
D) M.Komisarek

D) F.Beauchemin
D) I.White (RFA)

D) L.Schenn
D) J.Finger

D) C.Gunnarson
D) P.Oreskovic

G) J.Gustavsson (RFA)
G) J.Reimer

Leaving them with plenty of capspace to go out and add a 1st liner or two.

Last edited by zeke: 10-22-2009 at 03:16 PM.
zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 04:02 PM
GotKush*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
What embarrassment? Burke has already said he wouldn't be able to draft anyone as talented as Kessel this year.

Well if Burke said it then it must be true!

GotKush* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 04:28 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
Classless Chaps

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD View Post
I really hate to bust your bubble, but for a lot of those names you'd need a 2011 1st rounder and...well....
Oh god I should have picked up on that.
Makes me grateful that I'm a Sens fan and not a Leafs fan!
While it makes me very happy to see that half the players I named are guaranteed not to land in Toronto, I still don't think they need to fret over the unsigned FAs situation.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 05:36 PM
jojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggemon Destiny View Post
you mean one of the worst contract in sports period....
The competition for worst contract in sports is really a competition for 2nd place because there's a certain someone playing centerfield for the Blue Jays...

jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Canuckle
West Coast Express

Contracts, UFA, RFA, McGuire aside...I WOULD LOVE TO SEE BOSTON GETS TAYLOR HALL.

Canuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 05:49 PM
iPunch
Registered Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckle View Post
Contracts, UFA, RFA, McGuire aside...I WOULD LOVE TO SEE BOSTON GETS TAYLOR HALL.
And I'd love to see Luongo continue to fall flat on his face, doesn't mean its going to happen.

iPunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 05:56 PM
BIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post

Lol.. and Burke's word is law? It sounds a little presumptuous of him to say it's impossible that Kabanov, Fowler, Hall etc don't have the potential to reach Kessel's level. And that's in addition to the 2nd rounder in 2010 and another 1st rounder in 2011. Now that sounds incredibly presumptuous.

BIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 06:00 PM
Kyle McMahon

Ilya Kovalchuk has been stuck on a terrible team his entire career. So naturally, he'd love to sign a big contract with the mighty Leafs as soon as he has an opportunity to leave....

As for the OP, Burke won't likely be criticized by anyone on TSN or CBC. He's a genius who has already laid the groundwork for the league's next dynasty, haven't you heard?

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 06:22 PM
iPunch
Registered Leafs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth View Post
Lol.. and Burke's word is law? It sounds a little presumptuous of him to say it's impossible that Kabanov, Fowler, Hall etc don't have the potential to reach Kessel's level. And that's in addition to the 2nd rounder in 2010 and another 1st rounder in 2011. Now that sounds incredibly presumptuous.
Exactly how many players scored 36 goals or more last year, from all drafts? 12. How many are 25 and or under? 7.

Who sounds more ridiculous?

Old
10-22-2009, 06:23 PM
iPunch
Registered Leafs Fan

Oh, and Kessel is also the youngest of those guys by two years.

Old
10-22-2009, 06:28 PM
crazyforhockey

Montreal was expected to be a playoff team and the solidfing a team by signing some players to an extension was important...............leafs rebuilding.....and actually having cap space may prove benificial .....some very good players may be avaliable-ufa.Or teams stuck against cap(chi) and good young players avaliable.

crazyforhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 06:32 PM
GotKush*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch Imlach View Post
Exactly how many players scored 36 goals or more last year, from all drafts? 12. How many are 25 and or under? 7.

Who sounds more ridiculous?
Well you can side with Burkie and convince yourself Kessel is the cornerstone to build your franchise around. I for one would rather have those 2 top 5 picks that Burke gave away to build my franchise around....just me though

GotKush* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 06:38 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotKush View Post
Well you can side with Burkie and convince yourself Kessel is the cornerstone to build your franchise around. I for one would rather have those 2 top 5 picks that Burke gave away to build my franchise around....just me though
who is your team?

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote