HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kostitsyn brothers to Los Angeles.All Frolov Talk Here

Old
10-22-2009, 12:22 PM
la25ecoupe

vCash: 500
No one's tired of this dude?? comong..

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 12:23 PM
capnk

I see three important factors with the Kost bros:

1) Serge will never play for Montreal again. There's no way he's back on the Habs bench. The fans will destroy him and management doesn't want him infecting any team members.

2) Some elements of the media, specifically RDS, have launched an anti-Kostitsyn campaign (in case anyone hasn't noticed). The spokesman is Benoit Brunet but the ringleader is some higher-up desk jockey in RDS Management. They want these guys out of town and so far they are succeeding.

3) Sergei is Andrei's brother. This shouldn't enter into the equation, but it does because blood is thicker than water.
This whole situation HAS to affect Andrei.

Sooooo, IMO the best solution is to trade them both. Otherwise you'll get absolutely nothing in return for Serge.

capnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 12:27 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Just heard a rumor...

To Montreal:

Alexander Frolov

To Los Angeles:

Andrei Kostitsyn + Sergei Kostitsyn

Personally I think that we are overpaying for a pending UFA and someone that might turn into a Kovalev in this league (someone who floats and does not care at times).

Discuss!
I think it would be a good trade, if and I say if we get a conditional pick of some sort if Frolov doesn't re-sign with us. You have to realize that SK is worth pretty much nothing at the moment.

The problem with the 2nd line right now is that there is no experienced wingers on it. You have either very green MaxPac & D'Ago or somewhat green in Latendresse and AK. And there is no possible combination of these 2 groups that I see beneficial for any names in them. A guy like Kovy was great, even if not always, for a youngster on the same line. Frolov with better defensive skills than Kovalev would even be better IMHO, specially for Plekanec.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 12:28 PM
habsfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoyalHabsFan View Post
i think trading Akost would be a real mistake. He has the potential to score 40 goals, you don't give up on great talent unless you're 100% he's going to be a bust. And in the last few games, you can really see that he is working hard, and has listened to JM. Give him more time; I am confident he is soon going to be an offensive threat every night. In the game vs thrashers, he could have easily gotten one goal (if not for Bogosian's play) and two assists (if Plek and Hammer didn't choke).

As for SK, as much as I like him, I'll be okay if he gets traded, especially if we get a good player in return, but I doubt it. I'd like to have him stay, great talent as well. I know Eklund has no credibility, but still, I hope this rumour is not true. Frolov is a soon-to-be UFA, and I'm not sure he fits in with the team. I say PAAAASSSSSS
At some point though , that potential need's to be turned into reality , it's been six years now and still no sign of Andrei Kostitsyn the forty goal scorer . Anyway I still wouldn't do that trade , we'd just be exchanging one problem for another and still be left with a big hole on the second line .

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 12:30 PM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
Eklund doesn't count as a reliable source.
It does on HF.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 12:34 PM
ILUVTHISGAME

Lombardi being Lombardi, this isn't likely to happen.
Sergei's got somewhat of an attitude issue and if he thinks he had a rough time with Gainey...watch out! Lombardi does not tolerate any sort of 'me-first' attitude.
If anything, Sergei ends up in Manchester....permanently!

Frolov would be a welcome addition to the Habs. A really strong player with unbelievable skill. I believe that being on a mostly-losing team (i.e. 3 different coaching staffs, constant re-build, etc..) with the Kings has perhaps left him feeling unmotivated and rather unchallenged.

We shall see.

S.

ILUVTHISGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 12:37 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Just heard a rumor...

To Montreal:

Alexander Frolov

To Los Angeles:

Andrei Kostitsyn + Sergei Kostitsyn

Personally I think that we are overpaying for a pending UFA and someone that might turn into a Kovalev in this league (someone who floats and does not care at times).

Discuss!
I came up with that proposal since months... And As YOU ALL KNOW..I am not an expert !!!

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 12:42 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
So Both Kostitsyns for another Alex Kovalev?

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 12:47 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
Not really no. Kovalev has definitely better hands than Frolov and Frolov really knows his defensive play. Whether Folov plays lazily or not might just be a question of changing the atmosphere around him, while we all know Kovalev seems to float around sometimes.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 12:49 PM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
So that means it's not worthy of being discussed? It makes a lot more sense than most of the crap suggestions and rumours on these boards anyway. Also I heard it discussed by Pednault this morning on CKAC so it can't be that old.
I like Frolov but the rumor doesn't make sense. Gainey was prepared to get rid of every single leader on the team, every player we depended on. Changed the face of the team to bring in more guys who worked hard, had more character, and now he's going to bring in a guy who's the complete opposite of what he's been building? He's going to sacrifice two guys he's invested heavily on for this person? If Pednault thinks this is a reasonable trade then he's lost it himself (which I think has happened for many years now).

Not to mention its a Eklund rumor which at this point in time, if you still see these as valid then...

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 12:52 PM
PunkinDrublic*

This doesn't make sense really on two levels.

1. There is no way that BG gives up that much for a UFA, he said it himself when defending his move of keeping Souray. Teams just don't give up alot for UFA's
UNLESS they are superstars ( which Frolov is not ).

2. This team is missing a top 6 winger. So they give two up to get one back !!

I think BG will trade S Kost and maybe his brother along with him, but definitely for a better package than that.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
No, Kovalev is better lol

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 12:55 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
Then its a stupid trade.

Old
10-22-2009, 01:02 PM
MM425

Honestly, with how poorly Andrei has played this year and the red flags surrounding Sergei and his attitude, I wouldn't hesitate to make this deal even with Frolov as an impending UFA.

Sergei has to go with that sort of attitude and I become less and less optimistic every day that Andrei can be the player he has the potential to be (at least here in Montreal... it wouldn't surprise me if he flourished somewhere else).

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 01:05 PM
muzion

wow I wouldn't do the trade, but you guys are seriously underrating Frolov... looks to me like a lot of people have no idea what they're talking about.

muzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 01:05 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsNewGeneration View Post
I think BG will trade S Kost and maybe his brother along with him, but definitely for a better package than that.
I think you're in for a serious disappointment if that does happen.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 01:09 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzion View Post
wow I wouldn't do the trade, but you guys are seriously underrating Frolov... looks to me like a lot of people have no idea what they're talking about.
I would assume many Habs fans don't get to see Frolov too often.

Those of us with NHL Centre Ice know what he's capable of.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 01:12 PM
MM425

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsNewGeneration View Post
This doesn't make sense really on two levels.

1. There is no way that BG gives up that much for a UFA, he said it himself when defending his move of keeping Souray. Teams just don't give up alot for UFA's
UNLESS they are superstars ( which Frolov is not ).

2. This team is missing a top 6 winger. So they give two up to get one back !!

Honestly, I think you are really over-rating the value of the Kostitsyns.

Andrei CAN be a top 6 winger, but he certainly hasn't played like one consistently for over a year now. He seems to have taken a big step back from his 07-08 season. I'm still optimistic, but we can't be waiting around for him to finally reach his potential forever. If a good opportunity to move him arises, it wouldn't be the worst thing... especially if it means getting more of an established player back.

And with Sergei... certainly not even close to a top 6 forward right now but has the potential to be. But these recent issues have undoubtedly made his trade value plummet. Not many teams are lining up to get a young player with that kind of baggage.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 01:12 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I would assume many Habs fans don't get to see Frolov too often.

Those of us with NHL Centre Ice know what he's capable of.
Then can someone enlighten me please.

I'm under the impression that Frolov is a Floater just like Kovalev, and is pretty bad compared to Kovy. Like a 2nd line winger at best.

Old
10-22-2009, 01:15 PM
number 11

how could anyone possibly be willing to give up Andrei for Frolov who becomes UFA after this season??

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 01:19 PM
andreconstantin

Send a message via Skype™ to andreconstantin
I would do it. AK46 has a contrat for another 2,3 years no? Frolov is paid 4m but he is ufa at the end of season. It leaves us 7m to work with at the end of season. I like AK46 a lot and I think he will be a good player but I would definately do this deal.

andreconstantin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 01:22 PM
capnk

Quote:
Originally Posted by number 11 View Post
how could anyone possibly be willing to give up Andrei for Frolov who becomes UFA after this season??
Have you seen Frolov's stats over the past few years?
2008-09 Los Angeles NHL 77 32 27 59 -6 30 176 18.18
2007-08 Los Angeles NHL 71 23 44 67 +1 22 160 14.38
2006-07 Los Angeles NHL 82 35 36 71 -8 34 195 17.95
2005-06 Los Angeles NHL 69 21 33 54 +17 40 174 12.

That's why. Those numbers are quite superior to Andrei's. There's also a chance to re-sign him next year. He has history with Cammalleri and who knows, maybe he'll love the Montreal atmosphere (and peeler joints).
Also, looking over at the Kings board and they sure don't want to get rid of him.

capnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 01:29 PM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Because Andrei Kostitsyn was one of the locomotives of the 07-08 season and is about as key to the Habs' youth movement as you can get.

If you decide AKost isn't good enough, then it puts the entire off-season into question -- if you don't have good youth, then you don't bother with UFAs, you need to rebuild instead.

Unless AKost is traded for a similarly young offensive forward (and Frolov is UFA next year), I think trading him throws the whole long-term plan of the franchise into question.
frolov is only 27. Considering boston and philly both had franchise turn arounds in under 3 years, you have to wonder how much time you have to give players before saying enough is enough.

I don't see the future kovy in Akost. He hasn't been too impressive this year.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 01:39 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Then can someone enlighten me please.

I'm under the impression that Frolov is a Floater just like Kovalev, and is pretty bad compared to Kovy. Like a 2nd line winger at best.
First, let me just say that although I would love to have Frolov..I would not trade Andrei for a soon to be UFA.

About Frolov, he's not as "lazy" as people have been making it seem as of late. He's got decent size, can set up plays, and most importantly..he's certainly capable defensively. In fact, I'd say he's one of the more defensively responsible Russian's I've seen. Unless I'm completely forgetting someone, the only one I'd say who's better defensively is Datsyuk. He's also excellent at rushing the puck up the ice.

He could score 30 goals for us, while having good chemistry with Cammalleri.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 02:03 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
well i dont know....

-frolov 2 season of 30+goal season in 6 nhl season
-kovalev 4 season of 30+goal in 16 nhl season

and frolov is still in his prime but he's ufa wich dont make any sense trading for unless we go for the stanley cup but we have more chance to have a lottery pick than playing in the stanley cup final

btw ,always like frolov since i saw him play at the wjc againts canada

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote