HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Kris Russell signs 3-year extension

Old
10-22-2009, 08:02 PM
section 204

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stralldog View Post
I haven't seen enough games featuring Kris Russel to add to the Russel vs. Stralman discussion (it wouldn't be fair) but he seems like a talented player at first glance. Great skating and passing. Just like Strålman. If they develop further I'm sure there will be room for both of them in the future.
As for his contract: with a talented player like that, it might turn out to be a steal. If Russel doesn't develop as expected, 1.3 won't ruin the Blue Jackets. It's not Brian Campbell money.. (What the **** where the Hawks thinking when offering him that contract?)
campbell's contract, while obviously too large, reflects the fact that he was not only the most gifted offensive d-man in that free agent cycle, but many consider(ed) him to be the most offensively gifted blue-liner in the nhl. 4 out of the 5 seasons leading into that contract he had 43 pts or more. the hawks weren't the only team after him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stralldog View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by Strålman being a defensive liability, but considering the circumstances surrounding his trade (I'm sure you've heard of them having a baby during camp and his fiance still being stuck in Calgary with two children due to immigration issues) I think he's played pretty solidly. With the exception of Hejda, I haven't seen anyone on the Jackets d-corps being much more "reliable" than Strålman.
You mention his -3, but IMO that's very unfair. In San Jose he played his first competitive game since the WCs, and on a new team. The Blue Jackets got schooled by the Sharks, and six players where -2 or worse.
Against the Flames he was a -2 because: 1: Mason let in a softie (Phanuef 4-3) and 2: Tyutin made a horrible turnover (Iginla 5-3). The +/- stat, while interesting, can be very deceiving. Judging by that stat alone, Brent Burns is the worst player in the NHL right now.
Brent Burns is the worst +/- in the league... let's not act like it's a great stat when it's Hejda and a meaningless one otherwise.

section 204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 10:07 AM
Raymones

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by section 204 View Post
campbell's contract, while obviously too large, reflects the fact that he was not only the most gifted offensive d-man in that free agent cycle, but many consider(ed) him to be the most offensively gifted blue-liner in the nhl. 4 out of the 5 seasons leading into that contract he had 43 pts or more. the hawks weren't the only team after him.

Brent Burns is the worst +/- in the league... let's not act like it's a great stat when it's Hejda and a meaningless one otherwise.[/QUOTE]
I don't get this. Either you misunderstood me or I'm misunderstanding you. Nowhere in that post did I hint that +/- is a great stat. Quite the opposite, in fact. And me thinking Hejda has been the most reliable player has nothing to do with his stats, it's only my opinion after watching the games.

Yes, Campbell is a very talented d-man. But considering the fact that the Hawks has young and very promising core of players, including d-men, I think they kinda shot themselves in the foot, seing they might have to trade young great talent to stay under the cap. IMO they did not really need to sign Campbell, and he's nowhere near being worth that kind of money.

Last edited by Raymones: 10-23-2009 at 11:14 AM.
Raymones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 11:23 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
[QUOTE=Stralldog;21744635]
Quote:

I don't get this. Either you misunderstood me or I'm misunderstanding you. Nowhere in that post did I hint that +/- is a great stat. Quite the opposite, in fact. And me thinking Hejda has been the most reliable player has nothing to do with his stats, it's only my opinion after watching the games.

Yes, Campbell is a very talented d-man. But considering the fact that the Hawks has young and very promising core of players, including d-men, I think they kinda shot themselves in the foot, seing they might have to trade young great talent to stay under the cap. IMO they did not really need to sign Campbell, and he's nowhere near being worth that kind of money.
The +/- is a guideline nothing more, the problem with it is that it reflects line play as much as individual play. A guy could play great but if paried with players who suck the great guy appears to suck in the +/- column also. Saying that, if one player on a team is -20 after 40 games and the rest of the team is 0 or better that one player cannot hide.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 03:39 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Speaking of Russell, is he injured, is he being scratched because Strallman has taken his place? Haven't heard or seen much written about him lately.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
Speaking of Russell, is he injured, is he being scratched because Strallman has taken his place? Haven't heard or seen much written about him lately.
He recently missed some time with a sickness.

He could be still sick (not fully recovered), or is just waiting his turn in the rotation.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 09:26 PM
kleslanashfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
He is only 7th on the depth chart. Thus is a healthy scratch when everyone is healthy and able, just as I predicted would be the case. Hence why I disagreed with him getting this contract extension in the first place, as I knew that is where he fit into the team. Unless there are alot of trades I doubt him moving up as Moore will probably be on the team next year.

kleslanashfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 01:39 AM
Doug19

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleslanashfan View Post
He is only 7th on the depth chart. Thus is a healthy scratch when everyone is healthy and able, just as I predicted would be the case. Hence why I disagreed with him getting this contract extension in the first place, as I knew that is where he fit into the team. Unless there are alot of trades I doubt him moving up as Moore will probably be on the team next year.
It's all about matchups...physical teams: Methot speedy teams: Russell. Methot and Russell are 6a&b not 6 and 7 IMO

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 01:55 PM
AlienLanes82

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRiffle View Post
It's all about matchups...physical teams: Methot speedy teams: Russell. Methot and Russell are 6a&b not 6 and 7 IMO
Methot's only been scratched once this year, and it was early in the season. His play, IMO, has put him firmly into the Top 6. He's playing at the same level of many of our more well established defensemen.

I'm a big fan of Russell, but he's still struggling a lot against forecheckers in the defensive zone. I think he's better defending against the rush than Strahlman is*, but he hasn't put together enough in the way of goals to be playing ahead of Strahlman. Russell is clearly the number 7 at this point.

I see our defense as being Hejda as our clear #1, with everyone else capable of playing roles between #2 and #6, and Russell a bit behind all the others.

Two years ago Russell was our #5-6, and that's a testament to how much this team has improved, because Russell has improved a lot since then.

*Except for Strahlman's hip check last night. Good god, that was a thing of beauty.

Last edited by AlienLanes82: 11-22-2009 at 02:01 PM.
AlienLanes82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 04:23 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

I do not know but will not be better to trade Kris when he has played so little or assign him to Syracuse? Kris need to play.
Besides Kris is a very nice example the politic of Hitch. When veterans or his favourites play in spite of bad achievments. When Kris played bad, so not.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 12:46 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

I think Kris Russell has woken up. 2+2 in 2 games.

Old
12-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Hipster Letestu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
I think Kris Russell has woken up. 2+2 in 2 games.
As much as we all hate seeing talented players get a healthy scratch, sometimes I wonder if watching the games from the press box actually helps some guys. Maybe watching the game unfold from a different angle helps them see things they weren't seeing at ice-level.

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Ludicrous Speed

aside from having a brainfart on Chicago's first goal last night, he has looked so much more confident. I hope he keeps it up, because he can make some slick moves that lead to good opportunities.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
aside from having a brainfart on Chicago's first goal last night, he has looked so much more confident. I hope he keeps it up, because he can make some slick moves that lead to good opportunities.
He definitely recovered well from that, too, which is a huge step.

Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Yeah K-Russ has really stepped it up. If he and Stålman could actually both be "on" at the same time...yikes!

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 02:30 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by astall35 View Post
As much as we all hate seeing talented players get a healthy scratch, sometimes I wonder if watching the games from the press box actually helps some guys. Maybe watching the game unfold from a different angle helps them see things they weren't seeing at ice-level.
I think you are absolutly right but my idea is it is not any difference within older players and greenhorns so I think if older players play bad, his playe is on the press-box too. What it practically never happened.

BTW, if Moore and Goloubef will achieve to the roster it will be a fine "crush" within offensive defensmen. I enjoy it.

Old
12-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Shelley#45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRiffle View Post

Matchups or not if 6a is always being moved up to the second pairing when there is an injury up there (like tonight), and 6b is always on the bottom pair or getting healthy scratched when 1a through 6a is healthy, then 6b may not be 6b but may in fact be 7a

Shelley#45 is offline   Reply With Quote