HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Drafting Big Guys ... or not

Old
10-22-2009, 07:02 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
And from what you are describing, if those guys are not big enough for you, then you mean someone like Malkin or Jagr... those guys are so rare they only come around maybe once every 10 years.

What's wrong with the young group of big, skilled, fast forwards we have??
I would LOVE to get a forward who is skilled, fast and big, but guys like Jagr, Malkin, Ovechkin, Crosby, Etc just don't last until the end of the first round.

I am not saying go for small guys. But when the choice is more skill or more size, we are better off going for skill.

Honestly, how do people expect that a big, fast, skilled guy will last until #20-25? Don't you think there is a reason why a guy would fall to #22? Don't you think he must be missing something?

I mean, come on! How do people expect to get Eric Lindros at #20 or even #5?

If a player lasts to #20, he must have at least some flaw.

Last edited by Beacon: 10-22-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 07:07 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
I would LOVE to get a forward who is skilled, fast and big, but guys like Jagr, Malkin, Ovechkin, Crosby, Etc just don't last until the end of the first round.

I am not saying go for small guys. But when the choice is more skill or more size, we are better off going for size.

Honestly, how do people expect that a big, fast, skilled guy will last until #20-25?

Don't you think there is a reason why a guy would fall to #22? Don't you think he must be missing something that he is missing?

I mean, come on! How do people expect to get Eric Lindros at #22?
You're making it sound like because the Rangers took a flier on Jessiman many years ago, that they have done nothing but draft slow, awkward, lumbering players...

Kreider is big and was the FASTEST skater in the draft last year.

Grachev is big, and he was one of the FASTEST skaters in the OHL last year.

Kreider, Grachev, Werek, Anisimov, Dubinsky are all skilled.

And when the opportunity to draft a skilled player, despite their size, the Rangers haven't been afraid to take that player based on skill... Stepan and Bourque were taken in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the last two drafts... Del Zotto wasn't awfully big either when he was drafted.

The Rangers have drafted extremely well the last few years.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 09:20 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
You're making it sound like because the Rangers took a flier on Jessiman many years ago, that they have done nothing but draft slow, awkward, lumbering players...
This has NOTHING to do with Jessiman. NOTHING!

I listed him among several others because he was a similar type of draftee.

I looked for players who were at least 6-3 220 and he was one of them. But he wasn't the main reason for this post, just a minor mention.

My conclusion has NOTHING to do with him.

I distinctly remember arguing the same thing to my Islander fan friend when his team drafted Brett Lindros in 1994. At the time, Jessiman was all of 10 years old and I can assure you that I never heard his name.

P.S. Jessiman was actually not a bad pick for a #12 (yes, I know, hindsight is 20-20). He had 47 points in 34 games as a 17 year old freshman. He is huge: 6-6 235 pounds. If another guy who produced that much offense and is that big came along, I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him in the middle of the first round. If Jessiman worked out, we'd have a bigger Tkachuk right now.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote