HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dallas Stars @ Los Angeles Kings 10/22/09

Old
10-23-2009, 12:24 AM
kingscup
MBML

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to kingscup
Quote:
Originally Posted by FROLOV24 View Post
Can anyone answer my question? WHERE IS THE OLD PA GUY?
No doubt? Not diggin' the new guy.

kingscup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 12:26 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

i think they are talkin about the puck when they say, "behind Jon Quick"

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 12:26 AM
ru4reals

We allow more goals in the third period then any other team. Not a sign of a playoff team. Early but these kind of things don't go away anytime soon.

ru4reals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 12:27 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Eh.......no.
No they did not paint the corner or no it was Quick's fault? All goalies are scored on shots like that from time to time.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 12:29 AM
Hooch314

Worst third period I have ever witnessed in my life. Hopefully for the Kings it was just a fluke.

I think this is already Kopitars breakout year. How is he typically in his own end?

Hooch314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 12:35 AM
ru4reals

I think teams know how to score against Quick now. Shoot HIGH! Try to pick corners.

ru4reals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 12:37 AM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

We really, really need to stop trying to sit on leads and stop skating in the third. It's bad.

Kopitar had an amazing game, obviously, just fantastic.

Quick needs to work on those long range shots. Now, granted they were nice shots into the corner, but these are the kinds of goals he's been letting in so far this season. On a related note, 3 posts... all 3 go in? What the ****. Yeah, great shots, but you'd think at least ONE would have been a quarter inch off and gone out.

Refs were horrible and inconsistent. Bad calls both ways. That hooking call on Neal was brutal.

Last edited by FootKnight: 10-23-2009 at 12:44 AM.
FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 12:38 AM
Dave33
Still smiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knee Seeking Scud View Post
Kopitar has some sick skill....lets not get to giddy on the win though. Ref's kind of helped on that 2nd goal and Quick was not great at all.
LMAO, nice to see a fan base that whines more about the refs than we do.

EJOSHIE, he's responsible defensively.

I've been complaining about Quick's constant letting in of softies since he first came on the scene. Best option right now since they want to let JB develop but definitely needs to get his head on straight if he wants to stay a #1.

Dave33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 12:40 AM
William H Bonney

Quote:
They were lasers and i don't think it had anything to do with Quick. The 2 shots painted in the corner.
I'm perplexed. First you tell us not to toot our own horn's even though Kopitar is awesome because Quick wasn't good at all. Then people agree with you that Quick was terrible and you turn it around and defend the goals/Quick?

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 12:46 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

That game was the symbol of the Kings season so far. A roller coaster.

Here is the post game article on http://www.lakingsnews.com

Quote:
In his rookie year, Anze Kopitar's play started a hockey religion. A zealous fan gathered "disciples" and began the Kopitarian following. Number 11 stormed the league. His faithful did all but graffiti his image throughout Los Angeles...or did they?

Tonight, Anze Kopitar, in his role as a hockey god, was resurrected.
For the rest of the article, click on the link.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 12:49 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

someone tell Quick that tanking for tavares ballad is over

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 12:52 AM
William H Bonney

Murray challenges Quick:

Quote:
The goalie needs to be better. Whos kidding who here? Everybody sees the puck going into the net, on shots where hes getting a clear look, hes going down early. Hes starting to maybe guess a little bit in those situations, and hes just got to toughen up. Hes got to suck it up and start to play better and get that little arrogance back, inner arrogance, that he had last year. When things went a little bad on him, with one particular goal, he tightened things up and became the goaltender that you say, `Oh man, this guy is going to be a great NHL goaltender. Thats what he has to get back to.

This is a critical time for a young goaltender. Quick is my No. 1 goaltender. He has to make the next step. He has to bounce back. Hes got to figure that part out. Hes just got to push himself, toughen up mentally, and get the job done. He will be back in the net the next game. Its a very important time for him to learn something from this effort tonight.
Credit to Hammond.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 12:52 AM
Dave33
Still smiling

Quote:
They were lasers and i don't think it had anything to do with Quick. The 2 shots painted in the corner.
Terry Murray disagrees, "The goalie needs to be better. Who’s kidding who here? Everybody sees the puck going into the net, on shots where he’s getting a clear look, he’s going down early."

William, you really are quick on the draw ;0

Dave33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 12:58 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
It's something fundamentally wrong with Quick's game, which is the scary thing. He's extremely strong down low, because he's flexible and can really stretch out his body. But he tends to do that at every shot, which opens up his top corners really, really big.

I thought our defense played above average if not very solidly. Goaltending will truly haunt this team all season, which sucks.

I'm not ready to jump on the call up Bernier bandwagon, regardless of his stats in the AHL. But Quick needs to get it together, and fast. Because the Kings are only going to get lucky like this so many times before Quick solely loses us a game, and it's a downward spiral from there.
Yup. Noticed it a lot last season. He gets beat on longer shots. He plays well on shots below the hash marks. He almost appears to lose the puck on the longer shots. His strength is his weakness. His agility and "reaction" is too quick (pun intended) on the longer shots which then puts him out of position, typically because he goes to his knees too fast. He needs to be patient on the longer shots and not "react" as soon as the puck leaves the shooter's stick. Once a goaltender (speaking from personal experience) commits even slightly to the shot early, it is very difficult in the span of a second to reverse any part of that momentum.

Old
10-23-2009, 12:58 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
That game was the symbol of the Kings season so far. A roller coaster.

Here is the post game article on http://www.lakingsnews.com

For the rest of the article, click on the link.
Agreed. Jekkyl and Hyde. It was game by game but now it's period to period. I'll take the 2 points and a step closer to the playoffs.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 01:04 AM
BehindEnemyLines
2012&2014 CHAMPS

Quicks got to get his act together for the game against PHX. It looks so far that they're a team to be reckoned with. As someone mentioned earlier im stoked about the 2 point, but disappointed we let dallas get 1...

BehindEnemyLines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 01:14 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Here's a positive, last year we needed to play well for 60 minutes to win. Any game where we sucked for any period of time we lost. We have now won two games that we almost gave away. That didn't happen last year.

Yes, we need to work on our play with a lead, big time. Quick needs to be much better.

But I am very happy to see a team resilient enough to win a game from a single dominant period. Good teams do that, even when they don't play a great game, they manage a win. The 3rd period GA statistic is very disturbing, but these are the one goal games we lost last year.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 01:14 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

LOL @ Kopi.

From Hammond.

Quote:
on whether he could have scored a goal similar to the first goal last season…)

KOPITAR: “Yeah, maybe. I don’t know. It’s one thing I’ve done in the past. I scored my first NHL goal like that. It’s obviously a nice thing to get one. I got stronger over the summer.”
Hockey players are some of the worst interviews...

Old
10-23-2009, 01:17 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Also, what the hell was Murray thinking in the third?

Benching Ivanans and Lewis?

Harrold played WAY too much in the 3rd. Purcell deserved his benching for not covering the point on the 3rd goal, but Lewis played a very strong game, and should not have been benched in the third. Ivanans also had one of his better games and I think could have played a few shifts in the third with the way he was playing. Shortening the bench so much and only rolling 3 lines was a bad idea.

Old
10-23-2009, 01:22 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootKnight View Post
We really, really need to stop trying to sit on leads and stop skating in the third. It's bad.
What?

The Kings kept taking chances at the end of the 2nd and into the 3rd. They did exactly the opposite of what they should have done. Our D was carrying the puck in deep with a 3 goal lead. They were taking chances normally taken when the team was down a goal, not up by 3. To those who complain when the Kings drop into a prevent D with a lead - this is an example of what happens when they don't do that.

Quick had a great 40 minutes and a terrible 20. Good goalies have bad games from time to time. Quick is a good goalie. Auld is not.

Good win tonight... however they got it.

- T

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 01:29 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
What?

The Kings kept taking chances at the end of the 2nd and into the 3rd. They did exactly the opposite of what they should have done. Our D was carrying the puck in deep with a 3 goal lead. They were taking chances normally taken when the team was down a goal, not up by 3. To those who complain when the Kings drop into a prevent D with a lead - this is an example of what happens when they don't do that.

Quick had a great 40 minutes and a terrible 20. Good goalies have bad games from time to time. Quick is a good goalie. Auld is not.

Good win tonight... however they got it.

- T
They did take some chances, but it was an odd combination of prevent D (dump and chase and dump dump tip dump) and gamble chances from D to F, blue line to blue line.

I have decided that the big key is short passes. Coaches always talk about it, and I often think "no, bad passing is bad passing". But tonight was a prime example that when the Kings stick to short, crisp passes, making 2-3 on each breakout, they dominate. When they stop doing that and just corner dump or go for long bombs of any kind, they stink. They can't play that game, they have to play a strong support game and keep the passes between 6-10 feet.

Old
10-23-2009, 01:30 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Tony, Quick was lousy from the get go.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 01:30 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Don't worry, Quick will knock on Terry Murray's door tomorrow morning and he will bounce back and get a big win against the Yotes, wait and see

This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions! - Bob Miller
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 01:31 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
He did get lucky too many times. D bailed him out more often than not.

Old
10-23-2009, 01:31 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
Auld was lousy from the get go. Quick had a poor 3rd. If he'd have kept those bad goals out of the net in the 3rd, no one (not even you) would have said Quick had a bad 40 minutes.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote