HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs win 5-1 over Islanders, with great effort

Old
10-23-2009, 11:30 AM
TankEller*

vCash: 500
Even if I wasn't exactly kind to Martin yesterday (was a little drunk), I have to say the guy found a way to implement one hell of a system to the team so far... How we're positionning makes a BIG difference and we give very few odd man rushes.

This is very encouraging, especially knowing we still miss Markov and O'Byrne.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 11:34 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy View Post
As for who is starting Saturday, ask yourself this question:

Had Price won last Tuesday vs the Thrashers 2-1 and won tonight 5-1 would there be any doubts that he would start Saturday?? no, of course not but since it's Halak it's another story...like always.
Because Price is the #1 goalie of this team. It's absurd how our fan base loves to make an issue out of every possible thing. Is it that hard to stay positive after a 5-1 win?

Last edited by Ginu: 10-23-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 11:40 AM
TinordiandSubban

I laughed at McGuire talking up Pacioretty as a 3rd line grinder calling him a "Mike McPhee" type of player.

You know he's just trying to get some **** started about Timmins not being able to draft first rounders and the Habs ruined him and he'll never reach his true potential.

Patches has the hands and smarts to be a first liner but I like having him play with Metro and Moen to learn the game first. All he needs is confidence, I'll think he'll get more of it in the NHL than going back to the minors.

He had a great game last night, hope that line stays together a bit longer.

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inBobwetrust View Post
I laughed at McGuire talking up Pacioretty as a 3rd line grinder calling him a "Mike McPhee" type of player.

You know he's just trying to get some **** started about Timmins not being able to draft first rounders and the Habs ruined him and he'll never reach his true potential.

Patches has the hands and smarts to be a first liner but I like having him play with Metro and Moen to learn the game first. All he needs is confidence, I'll think he'll get more of it in the NHL than going back to the minors.

I don't think a Mike McPhee comparison is that far off...I remember McPhee, he was a pretty good player for the Habs. I think MaxP might have a bit more upside, but I don't think he'll ever be a legit 1st liner in the NHL.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I don't think a Mike McPhee comparison is that far off...I remember McPhee, he was a pretty good player for the Habs. I think MaxP might have a bit more upside, but I don't think he'll ever be a legit 1st liner in the NHL.
Last year when he was along side Kovalev and Pleks, people were raving thta he was a 1st liner.

He has the potential. He's in a learning phase.. too early to judge if he would or wouldnt be a legit 1st liner.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
Last year when he was along side Kovalev and Pleks, people were raving thta he was a 1st liner.

He has the potential. He's in a learning phase.. too early to judge if he would or wouldnt be a legit 1st liner.
I like MaxP...but I don't see 1st line potential in him. That's ok though, doesn't mean he can't still be a very good player

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 12:13 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I agree. I don't think that Max has the offensive abilities to be a first liner. Although, the potential is there, I think the likelyhood of his developing his offensive game enough to reach that potential is quite low.

I think a McPhee comparison isn't too bad. I'm obviously hoping for more, but I wouldn't be overly disappointed if Max was a consistent 40-50 point scorer and was dependable in all situations.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 12:21 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Listening to Cammy's post game interview on HIO, man he felt good.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 12:23 PM
Teufelsdreck

I liked McPhee, especially for his ability to take the puck in his own zone and skate it out without losing it to a forechecker. Pacioretty needs more experience before he can be as effective as McPhee, although he is a faster skater.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 12:27 PM
TinordiandSubban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I liked McPhee, especially for his ability to take the puck in his own zone and skate it out without losing it to a forechecker. Pacioretty needs more experience before he can be as effective as McPhee, although he is a faster skater.
Faster skater, softer hands, better vision, much more creativity...no moustache.

Other than that they're carbon copies.

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 12:27 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Even if I wasn't exactly kind to Martin yesterday (was a little drunk), I have to say the guy found a way to implement one hell of a system to the team so far... How we're positionning makes a BIG difference and we give very few odd man rushes.

This is very encouraging, especially knowing we still miss Markov and O'Byrne.
I love the puck possession game he's instilled. I love how we no longer try to force plays up the ice and if there's no play to be made, we have no problem throwing it back into our zone for another breakout.

It'd be nice to see stats on how much puck possession we have compared to previous years.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 12:31 PM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvenirs View Post
Didn't Gorges jumping on the bench have something to do with avoiding a too many men on the ice penalty? I recall Pierre Houde saying something like that.

Anyway, best win and effort in a looong time.
When exactly did it happen, i wanna see the replay..

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 12:34 PM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by inBobwetrust View Post

McGuire sure has a thing for random comparisons. I remember watching a TSN game early last season where he started mentioning Ryan O'Byrne and Larry Robinson in the same sentence.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 12:37 PM
FinnHab

Yes, Islanders is crappy team but this was much needed win for us. Go Habs Go!!!

FinnHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 01:18 PM
Next Best Thing*

So we have 3 wins without Markov?

baby steps ppl..

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
So we have 3 wins without Markov?

baby steps ppl..
4 really. We had to come back from behind to beat the Leafs without Markov.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 02:05 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
Ok please re watch all the games and honestly say they have had the same quality of chances against halak as teams had against price. You will find that the only one similar at all to the chances price faced halak let it in. That being said Halak should be in saturday night, if you were going to put price in it had to be tonight, cant go back on your win and get the next start philosophy.
Great game tonight though everyone had a good game.
I did watch the games and I can count 2-3 goals Price could have saved notably against the Sens and more-so against the Oilers. The Avalanche game, he was hardly at fault for any of the three. He can't be blamed for the losses due to the lack of production this team was outputting and he had to be spectacular to eke out a win during the 5 game skid. It's impossible to speculate how Price would have reacted to the shots Halak faced but the way the pucks have been going in for one reason or another, I can speculate. In the few cases where Price needed to bail out his D (TO and Buf games aside), he didn't. Halak did vs. Atlanta.

Again I'm not a Price basher, I'm a big supporter. He was great in Buffalo and TO and he needed repeat performances during that 5 game debacle for us to get a win. In saying that, I also think the Atl game could have went differently had Price been in nets although I think he could have easily handled last night's work. Point is, Halak right now is showing a solid swagger and appears less prone to letting a weak one than Price.

In the end, who cares. Both are great, there shouldn't be any controversy or debate. Lately, Halak's got the hot hand and has ended the 5 game skid. It's all a question of momentum.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 03:59 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1907
I missed the game because of work
Can anyone tell me who played good? Who played bad?
How was Lapierre?

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 09:46 PM
Inked87

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBen View Post
Yea i heard it too it was exactly

''You ****ing queer''

Pretty funny was wondering who it was
Trash talk is fine and dandy, I just think calling people queers/**** etc as grown men is sad. I understand that it's part of the game but it's not like this is the 5th grade. Grow up already...

Don't hear the n word thrown around much these days on the ice I'm sure...

Sigh.

On a lighter note, great effort, I ENJOYED watching the WHOLE game. That hasn't happened in a long time. Hopefully the boys can shut the rangers down. Gaborik needs to get his annual injury so our D can relax a bit

Inked87 is offline   Reply With Quote