HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

HNIC could start dropping Leafs games if they continue to lose

Old
10-23-2009, 06:14 PM
Cheli

vCash: 500
HNIC could start dropping Leafs games if they continue to lose

I couldn't find this posted already...

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hoc...85651-sun.html

Quote:
The next two weeks are audience locks -- with the Leafs visiting Vancouver and Montreal. But if Toronto's record still stinks after that, the CBC won't hesitate to adjust the picture in its national distribution.

"After that, we may start to play with how much of the country sees the Leafs or the Sens or the Habs based on team performance and matchup," Scott Moore, the executive director of CBC Sports said yesterday in an e-mail.

For now, the numbers are holding up surprisingly well. The Leafs most recent loss this past Saturday against the New York Rangers brought in a healthy 1.7 million viewers, the most watched sports show of the week.

Seven days earlier, the Leafs-Penguins were strong at 1.69 million and the first Saturday, a three-game national split, which included the Leafs and Washington, drew 1.74 million.

The longer the slide goes, however, interest is bound to wane and those numbers surely will soften. And then Moore and the other CBC suits will take a closer look at how best to serve the country.

"We are ready to make changes whenever we have to," Hockey Night executive producer, Sherali Najak said yesterday. "We'll watch every week and rely on the numbers, but what we've learned is that fans want to see some variety."

Cheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheli View Post
I couldn't find this posted already...

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hoc...85651-sun.html
the numbers have held up because the Leafs have had a marquee matchup every week. Pittsburgh and Washington speak for themself, but even New York is an original 6 matchup, and then follow that with Vancouver and Montreal. It doesn't take a genius to see why the numbers have held steady. Let's see what the numbers would look like if you replace Pitts, Was and NYR with Carolina, Florida and Minnesota.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 06:21 PM
Corleone

Send a message via MSN to Corleone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
the numbers have held up because the Leafs have had a marquee matchup every week. Pittsburgh and Washington speak for themself, but even New York is an original 6 matchup, and then follow that with Vancouver and Montreal. It doesn't take a genius to see why the numbers have held steady. Let's see what the numbers would look like if you replace Pitts, Was and NYR with Carolina, Florida and Minnesota.
those 3 are on saturdays? thats brutal if its the case

Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 06:27 PM
Pierre Gotye

Stupid move by CBC.

Even when the Leafs lose people will still want to watch them, and the Leafs have one of the most loyal and populous followings in all of the NHL.

Why would CBC slit it's own throat?

This is kind of like why does NBC air Notre Dame football games, even when they lose? It's the same difference. Viewership=ratings+ads+money.

The Toronto media seems to become more and more stupid every year. They are hypocrites with players, trades and the way the team should be run. I am tired of hearing their otherwise brainless banter.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 06:32 PM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corleone View Post
Nope. Habs, Red Wings, Flames and Capitals next Saturdays. Would definitely be surprised if that were to happen, though I don't really buy it. (See Brentbreakaway)

Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 06:33 PM
Zardoz

good, sell the game rights to TSN or sportsnet so we can be spared the love-in with whatever kid has parents at the game...

People think things are Toronto centric, but I can't stand CBCs coverage (with the exception of hotstove, for entertainment)

Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 06:33 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corleone View Post
I have no clue. I said its no surprise that the ratings held strong given the matchups. The Leafs have been playing the top drawing opponents every saturday. Of course they held strong.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 06:34 PM
BuppY

Maybe Leaf haters are tunning into watch them suck it up.

BuppY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 06:37 PM
LeafsGuru93
me & Dave Ellett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
Stupid move by CBC.

Even when the Leafs lose people will still want to watch them, and the Leafs have one of the most loyal and populous followings in all of the NHL.

Why would CBC slit it's own throat?

This is kind of like why does NBC air Notre Dame football games, even when they lose? It's the same difference. Viewership=ratings+ads+money.

Well said, well said Brentbreakaway! You took the words right out of my mouth.

It's not how they died that made them heroes, it's how they lived, putting others safety 1st, each & every day. Thanks Toronto police for keeping us safe. -RIP Sgt. Ryan Russell, Const. Garrett Styles.
LeafsGuru93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 06:38 PM
Zardoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I have no clue. I said its no surprise that the ratings held strong given the matchups. The Leafs have been playing the top drawing opponents every saturday. Of course they held strong.
Rangers had a bigger draw than Pittsburgh? It's the same viewers every week, leafs fans (or haters)... I know it's hard to comprehend, but Leaf fans watch no matter how bad the team is.

Old
10-23-2009, 06:39 PM
xtr3m

Toronto fans: imagine some other Canadian team in the west is Canada's biggest market (debatable, but doesn't matter). Imagine that the team has always been on prime time TV. Imagine it's not doing so well right now. Imagine you could care less what's going on in the west. Imagine how you would feel.

Not trying to knock you down here, but I do sincerely think that Maple Leafs could use some time off the prime time TV and rebuild at their own pace. You know, just be another team from Canada for a while.

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 06:40 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
You rater watch cause you hate or watch cause you love.

Win win for the boys in blue

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 06:46 PM
joepeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsGuru View Post
we can't piss off Western Canada

joepeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 06:50 PM
HocusPocus

I think the Leafs ratings on Saturday nights will be very resilient even if the record gets really bad. I think the weeknight games could slip a lot though if things get ugly.

HocusPocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 06:53 PM
Zardoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
Toronto fans: imagine some other Canadian team in the west is Canada's biggest market (debatable, but doesn't matter). Imagine that the team has always been on prime time TV. Imagine it's not doing so well right now. Imagine you could care less what's going on in the west. Imagine how you would feel.

Not trying to knock you down here, but I do sincerely think that Maple Leafs could use some time off the prime time TV and rebuild at their own pace. You know, just be another team from Canada for a while.
really? if they're drawing, it's not even an issue of whether they're losing...

I agree, they should take time off cbc, the broadcast is terrible and Hughson is boring as hell...

Hughson is like lightly buttered toast and a glass of water...

Old
10-23-2009, 06:56 PM
LeaffanDM

all they will change is the fact that they will show it regionally rather than nationally. they did that last year already. nothing new.

LeaffanDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 06:57 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:

Imagine Leaf fans not caring about the Canucks. Shocking I know. Toronto=Center of the Universe

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 07:16 PM
Poggemon Destiny*

Didn't they already drop games last year? Or was it that they just weren't scheduled, can't remember... Anyway, now is the time they should keep them on b/c the rest of Canada hates the Leafs and they probably enjoy watching them lose...

Poggemon Destiny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 07:20 PM
bcool

Quote:

It's all about ratings. If the Canucks can get more followers/viewership than the leafs or any other Canadian team, then by all means, you can be "Canada's team".

bcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 07:32 PM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsGuru View Post
Well....you know what they say: Great minds think alike!

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Lexicon

vCash: 50
Quote:

We are another team from Canada. We're just more publicized.

Lexicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 07:57 PM
Anthrax442

vCash: 551
CBC is public and the biggest tax contribution is from this part of Ontario,so they better show whatever the hell we want. This is a joke of a channel as it is

Anthrax442 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 08:06 PM
BIG BLUE

Quote:

dude, I personally don't care whether we are national or not....as long as I can see the Leafs...it matters not to me if the Sens or Habs are national at the same time...

makes no difference to me personally...

BIG BLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 08:09 PM
Sad Panda

So long as here in the GTA area I get to watch the Leafs on CBC every Saturday I don't care what they do in other broadcast areas.

Sad Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 08:29 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:

I could care less if the HNiC has them as the national broadcast as long as Center Ice picks up the broadcast.

He was the Leafs' leading scorer in the 196364, 196667 and 196970 seasons, and the team's top goal scorer in 197071 and 197273. Keon was considered one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, and one of the best defensive forwards of his era.[3] He would usually play against the opposing team's top centre, and developed a reputation for neutralizing some of the league's top scorers. In 197071, he scored eight shorthanded goals, setting an NHL record.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote