HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan McDonagh to the Habs

Old
10-23-2009, 06:40 PM
wolfe

vCash: 500
Ryan McDonagh to the Habs

What would it take for Montreal to reaquire him?

wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 06:43 PM
AK

Probably a lot.

McDonagh is a great prospect. Gainey was incredibly dumb to trade him for Scott Gomez.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 06:43 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Gomez, Busto and Pyatt

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 06:45 PM
WestIslander

Why would we re-acquire him?

Rumor has it that he has no intentions to go pro anytime soon and wants to continue with university until he is finished and receives a degree.

You think Montreal would of gave up on him that fast if he was ready to play in the NHL?

This guy was supposed to be the next Scott Steven's according to several analyst's including Pierre McGuire.

We are good on defense with Subban, Weber, Carle, Fischer, Bennett and Torp.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 06:42 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
Probably a lot.

McDonagh is a great prospect. Gainey was incredibly dumb to trade him for Scott Gomez.
I know it's not saying much but Gomez is the Habs' best player right now. Fair trade.

Kimota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 07:06 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Probably a lot.

I'd be curious to know wich aspects of his game you think he improved the most...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 08:58 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post

Rumor has it that he has no intentions to go pro anytime soon and wants to continue with university until he is finished and receives a degree.

You think Montreal would of gave up on him that fast if he was ready to play in the NHL?

This guy was supposed to be the next Scott Steven's according to several analyst's including Pierre McGuire.

So instead of waiting for him to finish school and possibly be a great player for us we couldn't wait and threw him away for an overpaid loser in Gomez?

Nice reasoning!

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 09:01 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I know it's not saying much but Gomez is the Habs' best player right now. Fair trade.
Plekanec has been, and at 1/3rd the cost!

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 09:02 AM
Ludo

Quote:
Probably a lot.

Are you kidding me?

All money aside, trading a prospect and a perrenial 40 point player for a speedy puck carrying center and one of the league's best passers + a formidable 4th liner is a dumb move? Not to mention that acquiring Gomez was instrumental in landing quite a number of quality free agents...

Ludo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 09:06 AM
smokes lets go

i love how habs fans are saying its a fair trade yet when it was made, they wanted to lynch BG for it. Gomez is good, but not $7M good lets get real here. Mcdonough is a great prospect since he was drafted and adding him to the deal(you could of had gomez for a bunch of pucks ffs) was just dumb.

smokes lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 09:07 AM
smokes lets go

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
I'd be curious to know wich aspects of his game you think he improved the most...
he was your best prospect, why are you denying that now?

smokes lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 09:13 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tavares View Post
he was your best prospect, why are you denying that now?
He wasn't, but yes, it was a stupid trade and that will bite the habs for many many years...

...the question now, is which one will be the worst the Gomez trade or the Kessel trade?

As for McDonagh back to the habs, it won't happen unless Sather pity Gainey and give him away for Gomez

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 09:19 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:

You guys call it university.

McDonagh is a junior in college who has not declared his major.

Real serious student.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 09:21 AM
Stiffler

Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Plekanec has been, and at 1/3rd the cost!
Plekanec has been our best player? What games did you watch? He watch good at best, and his line didn't provide much treath most games. Gomez' line was a constant treath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tavares View Post
i love how habs fans are saying its a fair trade yet when it was made, they wanted to lynch BG for it. Gomez is good, but not $7M good lets get real here. Mcdonough is a great prospect since he was drafted and adding him to the deal(you could of had gomez for a bunch of pucks ffs) was just dumb.
I think saying that we could have had Gomez for a bunch of pucks is a terribly dumb statement to make. Fantasy and reality are two things. Whatever you think of the trade, Gainey didn't just had McDonagh because he sucks, he added McDonagh because there was competition for him. I didn't like how much we gave back then, still think it was a high price to pay now, but Gomez was the only center that moved during the summer despite all speculations and most articles that came out about it point to that competition for his services...

Besides, had Gomez been a UFA this summer, we would have had no choice but to give him that kind of contract anyway, so what's the point of turning every single Gomez conversation around his salary? Does somebody here really believe that had he been UFA we would have had him for less than what he makes now?

Stiffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 09:23 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
Are you kidding me?

All money aside, trading a prospect and a perrenial 40 point player for a speedy puck carrying center and one of the league's best passers + a formidable 4th liner is a dumb move? Not to mention that acquiring Gomez was instrumental in landing quite a number of quality free agents...

Gomez was instrumental in landing a number of quality free agents?

Montreal had the most cap dollars to spend last summer. That's why Gainey finally lured some free agents to Montreal.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 09:32 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:

Huh? He was never compared to Stevens. He's not overly physical nor is he overly gifted offensively. Best comparison is Hamrlik (from his time with the Flames and the Habs).

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 09:54 AM
canadianeh

I hated teh trade at the time. I still don't love it.

But I wonder if Montreal didn't possibly think that McDonough was a bit overrated, and they needed to sell high.

Essentially the deal boiled down to McDonough for Gomez. Higgins was an add in as a RFA that I don't think they really wanted to keep around (I like him as a 3rd liner defensive player who can chip in a few goals at times though.)

So if the Habs were getting the impression McDonough wasn't as good as his reputation or developing how they wanted, they sold high to get Gomez. WHo we all know isn't worth his contract but is still a much better player than people give him credit for.

I honestly believe that Montreal and Gainey set out to find players who were very high character and played with a lot of heart. Gomez does that and he is the reason given by Cammy and Gionta for going to Montreal (though I think the money has as mcuh or more to do with it.. Lou Lamarillo told Gionta WOW, you owe it to your family to sign that deal when he heard the amount. lol)

But so far i'm impressed all around with those guys. They aren't quite on track yet. But they are giving 110%. Especially Gionta.

Now if McDonough goes on in 3-4 years to become a #1 Dman. then yeah... we def overpaid and it was a mistake. Anything short of that it was an equal deal player wise. (How much Gomez makes has little to do with it IMO... it's too much but the trade should be judged more on talent than cost.)

Also....
We've been hearing about all the "great" montreal prospectes for about 3 years now. But who has really made a difference? Maxwell, Stewart, D'agostini, Pacioretty, Latandresse, Kostitsyns, Weber, Carle, Subban.... the list goes on about all the guys we are suppsoed to be excited about. but none has yet to become a top 6 forward or top 4 Dman. The closest we've come are (Lapierre good 3rd line C), and Plekanec (who needs to keep it up to stay off the first list)

We needed some proven players. We parted with someone who may be a great prospect to get one. We can't wait another 4-5 years for everyone to HOPEFULLY be good forever.

canadianeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 09:58 AM
MattyHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Gomez was instrumental in landing a number of quality free agents?

Montreal had the most cap dollars to spend last summer. That's why Gainey finally lured some free agents to Montreal.
Incorrect, according to Cammalleri and Gionta. Nice try though.

MattyHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 10:11 AM
NorthlandPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludo View Post
Are you kidding me?

If all that it took for you to acquire top UFA talent was our trading you Gomez, we would be more than happy to part with Redden so you could lure a Crosby, Malkin or Ovechin and this time around all you have to give us is a 1st round pick in any year before the end of this century.

NorthlandPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 10:31 AM
KT7

This was just a bizzare trade. I remember seeing the 'Gomez to MTL' on the ticker, and without looking at details figured it was a salary dump over to MTL with nothing significant going the other way.

Higgins & McDonagh for a guy that NYR wanted to move along was a pretty damn good return, and NYR fans will be happy with this trade I'm sure.

That being said (before I get piled on) Gomez is performing well in MTL at the moment, but it doesn't change the perception of Gomez prior to this trade being done though.

KT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 10:44 AM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
He wasn't, but yes, it was a stupid trade and that will bite the habs for many many years...

...the question now, is which one will be the worst the Gomez trade or the Kessel trade?

As for McDonagh back to the habs, it won't happen unless Sather pity Gainey and give him away for Gomez
NCAA Prospects Update
Calendar October 21, 2009 | Posted by Leslie Treff

I am starting to see more of why the Canadiens were disappointed in Ryan McDonagh and were willing to let him go. I actually watched the “tape” of the game twice, once just to focus on McDonagh, and I did not like what I saw. He is big and strong, and for a guy his size, he moves well. But his decision-making with the puck was terrible (can’t tell much without the puck because I wasn’t viewing it live). He does not move well along the offensive blueline and does not have the patience to wait until he has a good shot. He definitely cannot run a power play, and his decision to rush into the offensive zone with the puck with the game on the line, led to an odd man rush the other way and cost Wisconsin the game. Yes, he is tough and not afraid to throw his weight around, but he just does not look like he has what it takes to be a top pairing defenseman.

I will have to watch closely over the coming weeks, but McDonagh looks to be more of a 4 to 5 guy, not a 1 or 2. And that may be why Montreal was willing to let him go;

This quote is from Leslie Treff HF writer for NYR; she is a no ******** evaluator of talent; I was ecstatic when we first acquired McDonagh but also stunned that Gainey would give up on him that soon; Gainey is not as dumb as Montreal fans think; Sather, because of Derek Stepan, has scouts at Wisconsin all year; obviously Slats saw what Gainey saw, but felt that disposing of Gomez' contract was worth the risk of acquiring McDonagh; now NYR coaching staff when they finally get Ryan have a terrific prospect, just not a 1 or 2 that everyone speculates

nrf83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 10:48 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
So instead of waiting for him to finish school and possibly be a great player for us we couldn't wait and threw him away for an overpaid loser in Gomez?

Nice reasoning!
Yeah that loser is the Habs best player and a beast at both ends of the ice.

Why don't you become a complete Oilers fan at this point?

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 10:52 AM
AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
I don't know that he's improved anything in the four months since he's been traded, almost all of which have been offseason.

He was already good and promising.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 11:28 AM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
What a dumb thread

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 11:44 AM
UAGoalieGuy

I haven't watched Gomez play at all this season, and will get a first look tonight when the Rangers play the Habs, but looking at his stats, it doesn't seem like is is performing that well (Stats do not mean everything ofcoarse, just going by his numbers so far). He has 2 goals and 3 assists for 5 pts in 9 games, with no power-play points and is a +1. He is on pace for 18 goals and 27 assists for 45pts. Last season on the offensively challenged Rangers he had 16 goals and 42 assists for 58pts.

Just going on Stats, he hasn't been Montreal's best player so far this season. I'm sure he gives his all night in and night out like he did with the Rangers and that definitely raises his value, but that value has not helped the Habs turn out some more W's, as they are 4 and 5. The season is still young though and hopefully he puts it all together to be your teams best player. He was one of my favorite players when he was on the Rangers because of his heart and determination, even though he was not living up to his $7 million/ year contract. It's not his fault he got that contract, it's Glen Sather's for signing him to it. Can't fault a player for taking the most money offered to him.

As for the trade, I was shocked when it went down. Now that the season started, the Rangers are off to a pretty good start at a 7 and 3 record. Higgins hasn't found the back of the net yet and only has 2 pts so far. McDonagh is off to a good start in the first few games in college, with 3 pts in 3 games I believe and playing well defensively. I see him developing into a very good 3-4 guy, with a lesser chance of becoming a #1 D-man. We'll see how he transitions to pro hockey from the NCAA in a year or two. He's still probably at least 3 years away from cracking an NHL roster, which is fine for the Rangers as they have extreme defensive depth with Staal, Girardi, MDZ, Gilroy, Sangs, Sauer, Kundtrek, Heikkenan (I can't spell his name for the life of me).

The only reason why I think they Rangers won the trade big time is because of the fact that they got rid of Gomez's salary. It allowed the Rangers to sign Gaborik, who has been on fire so far this season. It would have been nice to have Gomez centering Gaborik, because I think both players would thrive with each other, but there is no way the Rangers could have afforded both.

Now for what it would take for Montreal (Or any team for that matter) to acquire McDonagh, it would have to be for a scoring winger or playmaking center, imo. Now he would not net a scoring winginer or playmaking center by himself, but part of a package. I don't see the Rangers making any moves until the trade deadline, though. They are playing pretty well as a team right now and no move is really needed, except to possibly add a veteran 7th d-man.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote