HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Latendresse available if anyone wants him

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2009, 09:33 PM
RE-HABS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
As much as people want him to be more aggressive, he is still the best hitter on the team.
Seriously?

The guy slows down and hit with his arms up all the time, that is not a good hitter. A good hitter goes at you full force, arms in tight and shoulder and hip driving into the player.

I honestly don't think we have any good knock you down hitters.

Old
10-23-2009, 09:35 PM
MTL-rules

I love how everyone say we should wait with Chipchura and D'Agostini, but Lats is useless and wouldn't even fetch a bag of pucks.

...this is a pathetic thread.

Lats is horrible right now, but he should get better... and he's not paid millions, stop ****ing whinning.

Old
10-23-2009, 09:36 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Seriously?

The guy slows down and hit with his arms up all the time, that is not a good hitter. A good hitter goes at you full force, arms in tight and shoulder and hip driving into the player.

I honestly don't think we have any good knock you down hitters.
You want Begin back?

...come on, Lats is a very decent, if not excellent, hitter.

Old
10-23-2009, 09:37 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
I love how everyone say we should wait with Chipchura and D'Agostini, but Lats is useless and wouldn't even fetch a bag of pucks.

...this is a pathetic thread.

Lats is horrible right now, but he should get better... and he's not paid millions, stop ****ing whinning.
Chip's and Dago aren't paid millions either.

Old
10-23-2009, 09:39 PM
habdynasty

Moen is the best hitter on the team so far this season.

Old
Daice

Funny how so many ppl here say that Lats is worth nothing, I didn't know so many hockey gm's are on habs hf boards... interesting

So basically a player is a hero or a zero, there never is the proper price, or a possible steal because some organization sees something in them.

I reckon dallas fans thought niinima was good for a bag of pucks.. well they got a first line center.

Old
25th

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeye View Post
Yeah I agree Latendresse will be our next 50 goal scorer.
Where did I say that? C'mon man!

Old
10-23-2009, 09:41 PM
Empireshark

[QUOTE=TheCH;21752758]As much as people want him to be more aggressive, he is still the best hitter on the team./[QUOTE]

Bull Krap!!! Moen, Metro, Lappy are way better and way, way more consistant hitters than Latendresse. Lets put Mr. Latendresse into perspective - he's had FOUR years to learn how to park his fat ass in front of the net and has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that that task is beyond his skill level. He's on this team for one reason and one reason alone and I'm going to respect the original posters request of not turning this into an english/french debate so enough said.

Old
10-23-2009, 09:42 PM
Gary320

Quote:
Latendresse makes 300 000 more.. Its not like he makes millions.

Old
MTL-rules

Quote:
And what's your point?

Lats is very cheap, just like them, he's not playing top line minutes, he's not playing well but at least he's not costing us game.

He's young we should give him as much support as the other two or any young players... but I guess he's the worst player in the NHL and should be dump IF any team wants such a useless player

Old
DirtyJeeves

Send a message via AIM to DirtyJeeves
Quote:
Patches to me has a better concept and all around game than that of Latendresse. Lats in one dimensional and slow as molasses too, his upside is over blown by the media. He wasn't a lights out scorer in Junior, he was a bench warmer in the WJC and he was a great Pre-Season player his first 2 camps...other than that he has been pretty stale.

Patches will be a solid 2nd line player, with a good two way game I believe. He may have only played in Hamilton for a half season, but it is still half a season more than Lats and his experience in the NCAA helped as well as he as playing against older players there too.

I agree in goalies, they do take time to develop. Just look at Fleury as case A.

In regards to Markov making it at 23, he was a Dman a player that usually even takes longer to develop than a goalie.

For Sergei, Montreal obviously saw he needed time and development still...Sergei didn't see that and it is his problem, not Montreal's for trying to make him better. Carbo himself said last year Sergei is trying to get away with laziness and other things vets may try to do as they can't be sent down because of waiver issues and so on. He is just plain laxy.
I've actually been impressed with Patches since his callup last year. He's got speed and can find the puck, he's just lacking the finish right now. Reminds me of Bulis a few years back, but with age and lack of experience on his side for now.

As for Lats, definitely lacks the skillset that Patches has and the speed issue has been beaten into the ground. I think if he could learn to use his size and make better decisions positioning himself when he has the puck, he'll see some success. He's always trying to blow around someone rather than making them take the body, where he usually has an advantage. I don't see him scoring more than 22-25 goals annually if he gets it together, but that kind of presence would do wonders for his linemates.

Old
10-23-2009, 09:56 PM
25th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
This is Montreal. How many play the kids that aren't ready until they develop can we handle? By the way, not dominating overnight, also has to mean developing properly. And since nobody is exceptional in that list, they would have had to go through the usualy developement steps. If they then become exceptional, well now you can have them rushed in a little bit more. Until then, what's the point really.

Also the "play the kids" you heard meant "play the kids to see if they're ready. If they are not send them back"......

In the end, young kids that are in the NHL, if you look real closely, while they don't dominate, they are already pretty good. Or they are not but it doesn't matter 'cause they are either in a real bad team or in a hockey city who doesn't have the pressure than we have.
Just how exceptional was Markov at first? Thats the whole point here. DirtyJeeves is right. Know it all MTL fans were saying the same things about Leclair after 3 seasoins that what they are saying now about Lats. Im not a Lats lover but the kid deserves a break.

It was the same thing with

Old
10-23-2009, 10:02 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

Latendresse has had so many chances to prove himself over the years its really disgusting.

People who complain he hasnt had his fair share are blind. After watching him this year does he really merrit a position on the top 2 lines?
He is slow as sin and has 3 NHL years on his belt, but he still wont stay in front of the net, still dosent finish checks, and the constant shooting from ridiculous angles.

Not to mention he wont fight, ever.

be gone

Old
10-23-2009, 10:06 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

And people, PLEASE do not not compare him to John LeClair, i may have to poke my eye balls out.

For any of you who were actually old enough to watch him play with the habs, he was above and beyong where Lats is now. He understood his role, and he had value, hence why himself and Desjardins were traded for a premier winger at the time. In hindsight we overpayed for him, but he would have never developped in our system like he did in Philly. He played with Lindros who was the best all around player in the NHL. He learned and developped into the same type of player.

Not everyone we have traded has become an elite goal scorer.

Old
10-23-2009, 10:12 PM
Ncrdrg

Send a message via AIM to Ncrdrg Send a message via MSN to Ncrdrg
What does it matter if Lats can't handle top 2 lines duty?
Forget he was ever drafted for that. He's unable to do it so how about stopping to force trying him here? He can be a good bottom 6 guy. He doesn't cost much either.
For example, a guy like Chipchura is a complete flop for a first rounder. He's a 4th liner center.
Does it really matter he was a first rounder now? No, just use him as a 4th line center the rank he was drafted at. Same thing for Lats, he's not what we thought he'd become. So how about simply using him for the role he's suited for?
If he ever plays himself out of the team, no regrets. At least, he had time to prove himself.
That aside, I'm willing to be more patient with a guy like Pacioretty. His skillset is more complete.

Old
10-23-2009, 10:26 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25th View Post
Just how exceptional was Markov at first? Thats the whole point here. DirtyJeeves is right. Know it all MTL fans were saying the same things about Leclair after 3 seasoins that what they are saying now about Lats. Im not a Lats lover but the kid deserves a break.

It was the same thing with
Markov wasn't exceptional but doesn't he fit one part of the bill I was talking about? He was playing on the 2000-2001 team...one of our worst ever. There was no expectations. We are not talking about the saviour that Price was suppose to be 'cause we didn't need a vet goalie when the really young rookie was suppose to be good enough for a team that had a whole lot of chances to go far. And MaxPac who was put in the 1st line at the start of the year. And Lats who started his career being the new Guy-Guy-Guy....

So while Markov was not exceptional at the start of his career, if you remember, he wasn't that bad and already proved that he belong. But he had something the others didn't....some experience by playing in Russian with men and in the AHL as well. And can you imagine? Even with that, he wasn't exceptional...but he didn't have to be. He had already proved that it was time for the next step. I'm sorry but neither of our kids proved anything. Even Price who would have been better served to play at least 1 AHL year to go through the motions of a Pro season.

Old
10-23-2009, 10:27 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
As much as people want him to be more aggressive, he is still the best hitter on the team.
Travis Moen is a better hitter.

Old
10-23-2009, 10:50 PM
McNuts

The guy hasn't even finished his development yet. Leclair had worse stats at the same age, but I'm sure you geniuses would've known what he was going to become, because you can predict the future. ****ing pathetic.

Old
10-23-2009, 11:07 PM
Belso

Latendresse has pretty good stats for his age and he doesn't hurt your team when he's on the ice.. The guy's not happy with the start of the season either, but he is worth something and I am sure he will get even better with age.

I sure hope he doesn't read most of what is on here because he's going to get depressed. Some of you are too hard on him. I do hope he starts to get a little better for him and the team.

As for Lats being available, I think all the guys who were here last season are available except Price, Markov, Lapeirre and Metropolit depending on who they get in return.

Old
10-23-2009, 11:10 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
Latendresse has pretty good stats for his age and he doesn't hurt your team when he's on the ice.. The guy's not happy with the start of the season either, but he is worth something and I am sure he will get even better with age.

I sure hope he doesn't read most of what is on here because he's going to get depressed. Some of you are too hard on him. I do hope he starts to get a little better for him and the team.

As for Lats being available, I think all the guys who were here last season are available except Price, Markov, Lapeirre and Metropolit depending on who they get in return.
Huge difference between that and being officially on the block.

Old
10-23-2009, 11:13 PM
otto bond

The way i see things are Lats can still get better. At 22 and 3 years under his belt he is showing signs of accepting his role. Trading him now would be stupide. Let's face it, alone, he doesn't fetch much. We may like him or dislike but I'm compfertable with him playing 12/14 minutes a game. JM trows all kinds of trios. Just cause you start on the 4th doen't mean you play 5 min that game. Martin has a way to play guys that sets him apart from what we are used to. They are playing like a team.

Last game Lats played a decent game going to the net ,using his size.
He has yet to reach his full potential.
He may never reach it but waiting a year or two doesn't hurt.
He has a scoring touch and like most scorer, they are streaky.
He's playing better defensively.
Low cap hit!!!!!
If I was an other team's GM looking to had size on the wing and already shopping one of my own.........Lats could be a nice trow in. just saying.
Thats is why I think that this is BS by Marino.

Old
10-23-2009, 11:22 PM
Guy Caballero

If there was someone just burning it up in the minors that we HAD to play in his spot, and if that substitution meant a big impact in the standings for the Habs, then I'd say sure, trade him.

Neither is the case. There is no upside to a trade. Let him work it out on the third line.

Old
10-23-2009, 11:25 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLPacman67 View Post
Huge difference between that and being officially on the block.
You are right.. That was my point. the op wrote:

According to Tony Marinaro on the Team 990 this morning:

Latendresse is available if anyone wants him!

What I was trying to say is that most people are "available". GM's jobs are always to get the best team on the ice. If a team like LA is not happy with the play of Frolov and the fact that Gainey has officially stated that Sergei K. can be traded in the near future, it's only normal that LA would want someone more then Sergei K. and Latandresse's name may have been involved. That's when rumors like the one Tony said starts. But it only makes sense. What's better for your team? To trade one of your top 5 to get a another top 5 or trade Sergei and Guillaume who are not on the top 6 for that last top 6 spot?

That was my point. Gainey has to decided what to do with Sergei. There are always a possibility of a package deal.. And when names start coming out form "sources" stories tend to get really creative sometimes...

Old
10-23-2009, 11:26 PM
DirtyJeeves

Send a message via AIM to DirtyJeeves
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
he is showing signs of accepting his role.

Low cap hit!!!!!
Excellent points.

I think last year was a great example on the first note I quoted. He, Lapierre and Kostopolous were an amazing shutdown/energy line. It's not his M.O., but he thrived in the role that was given to him.

Old
10-23-2009, 11:31 PM
NHLfan

Latendresse

Not a good idea to trade him especially he is only 22 and Quebecer. The Habs hardly have Quebecers. Can you imagine if we trade him? Last year, he showed improvement. He can only get better but is not used properly. In the new NHL reality, you have to keep your prospects as much as possible. The spending cap will get lower.

Closed Thread