HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

21/10/09 Avalanche Vs Wild

View Poll Results: Who wins?
Avalanche 38 88.37%
Wild 5 11.63%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-22-2009, 10:43 PM
  #576
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy
 
expatriated_texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Country: United States
Posts: 7,599
vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by avs1dacup View Post
Disagree. They need a bigger guy on one of the wings. That line would get ripped to shreds along the boards. Again, people don't have to agree, but to me Duchene with Hejduk and Wolski makes more sense than Stastny. Stastny would be a perfect fit for Svatos. Keeping Tucker on that line would not only make them a decent line along the boards, but may open up a little space in the middle for svatos.
I disagree...Hejduk is magic on the boards. He's great at getting the puck out and moving it. Wolski refuses to work the boards. Yes, he is bigger...but if he won't go there consistantly I'd rather have him somewhere else. So let's say we roll Wolski-Duchene-Hejduk...if Wolski isn't banging bodies how is that different or better than Hejduk-Duchene-Hensick/Svatos?

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 11:17 PM
  #577
detrude
(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
 
detrude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Djibouti
Posts: 3,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
I disagree...Hejduk is magic on the boards. He's great at getting the puck out and moving it. Wolski refuses to work the boards. Yes, he is bigger...but if he won't go there consistantly I'd rather have him somewhere else. So let's say we roll Wolski-Duchene-Hejduk...if Wolski isn't banging bodies how is that different or better than Hejduk-Duchene-Hensick/Svatos?
Banging bodies isn't Wolski's game, and it never has been. He isn't a power forward, I honestly have no idea why some people think he is.

detrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2009, 11:31 PM
  #578
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy
 
expatriated_texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Country: United States
Posts: 7,599
vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by detrude View Post
Banging bodies isn't Wolski's game, and it never has been. He isn't a power forward, I honestly have no idea why some people think he is.
I don't think he needs to be thrashing people in front of the net...I think he needs to drive there like Svatos does from time to time...but where his size and brain disconnect really comes into play is his willingness to play the boards. He's a freakin' winger. If he isn't fighting along the boards for the puck he should have no place on the top two lines. I'd rather have Hejduk, Tucker, Jones and/or McLeod joining Stastny and Duchene than a winger who is trying to cherry-pick from the top of the circles. At least Svatos drives the net and tries to pick spots beneath the circles to score from.

[edit....I will say that Wolski was much better last game but that was a one game snap-shot after multiple sit-downs. He needs to become consistent in his play along the boards and with his back-check...]

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 12:17 AM
  #579
detrude
(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
 
detrude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Djibouti
Posts: 3,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
I don't think he needs to be thrashing people in front of the net...I think he needs to drive there like Svatos does from time to time...but where his size and brain disconnect really comes into play is his willingness to play the boards. He's a freakin' winger. If he isn't fighting along the boards for the puck he should have no place on the top two lines. I'd rather have Hejduk, Tucker, Jones and/or McLeod joining Stastny and Duchene than a winger who is trying to cherry-pick from the top of the circles. At least Svatos drives the net and tries to pick spots beneath the circles to score from.

[edit....I will say that Wolski was much better last game but that was a one game snap-shot after multiple sit-downs. He needs to become consistent in his play along the boards and with his back-check...]
Are you talking offensively, defensively, or both when you talk about working the boards? Defensively there are a lot of times where he does work the boards and fight for the puck, though it does seem to be a problem (and that goes beyond him as far as wingers are concerned). Offensively, that isn't where he's most effective. Mucking in the corners takes him out of his game.

detrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 12:36 AM
  #580
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy
 
expatriated_texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Country: United States
Posts: 7,599
vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by detrude View Post
Are you talking offensively, defensively, or both when you talk about working the boards? Defensively there are a lot of times where he does work the boards and fight for the puck, though it does seem to be a problem (and that goes beyond him as far as wingers are concerned). Offensively, that isn't where he's most effective. Mucking in the corners takes him out of his game.
Unlike in years past the d-men are actually getting to the puck and moving it out. His job should be to work the puck in the offensive zone. Centers are traditionally called upon to be move defensively responsible, no? Offensively, if he isn't willing to work the boards he needs to either find another line of work or hope to be traded because right now we have a lot of players better at both play-making and floating than he is. He's no longer a center. He needs to play wing or sit and allow someone else a chance to play wing...which is what I think Sacco's been trying to tell him all-along.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 12:38 AM
  #581
detrude
(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
 
detrude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Djibouti
Posts: 3,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
Unlike in years past the d-men are actually getting to the puck and moving it out. His job should be to work the puck in the offensive zone. Centers are traditionally called upon to be move defensively responsible, no? Offensively, if he isn't willing to work the boards he needs to either find another line of work or hope to be traded because right now we have a lot of players better at both play-making and floating than he is. He's no longer a center. He needs to play wing or sit and allow someone else a chance to play wing...which is what I think Sacco's been trying to tell him all-along.
If Sacco wants a grinding style he needs to look elsewhere and tell management to trade him, because that is not what Wolski is good at.

detrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 12:42 AM
  #582
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy
 
expatriated_texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Country: United States
Posts: 7,599
vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by detrude View Post
If Sacco wants a grinding style he needs to look elsewhere and tell management to trade him, because that is not what Wolski is good at.
I don't want to argue with you because I think Wolski doesn't LIKE to play that style of game. But I do have to wonder what it is exactly that Wolski is good at outside of the shoot-out if he doesn't play that type of game.

Yes, he had a mess of points early on but what outside of the points he got made his play stand out in the first few games? He drove to the net...he played hard along the boards. If you think that is not what he is good at then I suggest you are wrong. When he does those things, he gets points and the team wins.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 12:48 AM
  #583
detrude
(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
 
detrude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Djibouti
Posts: 3,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
I don't want to argue with you because I think Wolski doesn't LIKE to play that style of game. But I do have to wonder what it is exactly that Wolski is good at outside of the shoot-out if he doesn't play that type of game.

Yes, he had a mess of points early on but what outside of the points he got made his play stand out in the first few games? He drove to the net...he played hard along the boards. If you think that is not what he is good at then I suggest you are wrong. When he does those things, he gets points and the team wins.
I never said he was bad at driving to the net, but fighting along the boards has never been something that made me say, "Damn, that's a part of Wolski's game that really shines." But no two fans can ever agree on what Wolski does well and what kind of player he should be, so we should probably let it go.

detrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 01:47 AM
  #584
avs1dacup
Registered User
 
avs1dacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
I disagree...Hejduk is magic on the boards. He's great at getting the puck out and moving it. Wolski refuses to work the boards. Yes, he is bigger...but if he won't go there consistantly I'd rather have him somewhere else. So let's say we roll Wolski-Duchene-Hejduk...if Wolski isn't banging bodies how is that different or better than Hejduk-Duchene-Hensick/Svatos?
Hejduk can do all he wants along the boards, but if his other two linemates really aren't that good along the boards, then it's not going to matter. I feel Wolski and Hejduk are a better fit for Duchene because they all three can play the "run and gun" style better than any other options. When Wolski IS working the boards(he does it when he wants, just like everything else)he can be quite good. Having Hejduk and Duchene throw shots on net with Wolski crashing the net is perfect and just what this team needs. On the flip side, a line with Tucker, Stastny and Svatos would be a bit more of a mucking line that can work the boards a bit better. Stastny isn't great, but he's good along the boards as is Tucker. This would open a little room in the middle for Svatos where he's best from. This is simply playing to what I feel is everyone strengths. I'm not saying this would work or even be perfect, but it makes sense to me to at least try it since none of the top 6 are doing crap all right now.

avs1dacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 08:51 AM
  #585
ABasin
Asset management
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 6,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
The best thing that could happen to Duchene would be for Hejduk to be on his left wing and to continue with either Svatos or Hensick on his right side.
Tex, that could be the smallest NHL line in the past decade.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2009, 01:42 PM
  #586
grilled cheese
 
grilled cheese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 15
vCash: 500
I looked all through this thread (Ok, I started around pg 7). I couldn't find any thing that Mcnabb said about Wolski. AD said that he really got on him at the time of that GOD plenalty. I have it Tivo'd, but won't get a chance to watch it 'till sometime this weekend. THanks.

grilled cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2009, 11:17 AM
  #587
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy
 
expatriated_texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Country: United States
Posts: 7,599
vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Tex, that could be the smallest NHL line in the past decade.

-AB
True...but we could call it the toy line and have it approved by Hasbro.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.